Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

Cmd+q or cmd+anything is annoying because the keys are too close. when I have to click them my fingers try to go under each other and results in a clusterfuck of tangled fingers.

How do you type a capital Z then? :confused:

If you use the poo poo key under Return, well there's also a Command key there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

IUG posted:

How do you type a capital Z then? :confused:

If you use the poo poo key under Return, well there's also a Command key there too.

pinky finger on shift and ring finger on z.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Logikv9 posted:

Cmd+q or cmd+anything is annoying because the keys are too close. when I have to click them my fingers try to go under each other and results in a clusterfuck of tangled fingers.

This. Ctrl+C (or V) just feels better because the spacing seems natural/right between the pinky and index fingers (at least for me). When people try to argue for Cmd+C/V being better, it reminds me of when people tried to argue that the one-buttoned mouse was better...

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I like Cmd because I can hit it with my thumb easily. Ctrl requires me to contort my pinky in unnatural ways.

This, however, renders the argument moot:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Apple is pretty serious about this; they tell you in their training that you MUST seek immediate medical assistance if you get any glass shards in your eyes, and to use gloves and goggles when handling the display glass. They repeatedly mention that they don't use tempered glass, either, so it does have the potential to shatter into shards if you're being a dick about it.
Arsenic free glass*

*not really arsenic free :ninja:

Logikv9 posted:

I've asked friends who own macbooks and they all yell at me and say it's more intuitive. :smith: How quickly can someone pick up the basic gist of the whole OS and see an improvement in productivity?
I think this applies here:

cbirdsong posted:

I like Cmd because I can hit it with my thumb easily. Ctrl requires me to contort my pinky in unnatural ways.
Always been the same thing here. Thumb just moves a little to the side from the normal space bar position, pinky has to stretch out awkwardly to the corner.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Only Win shortcuts I know are alt tab and alt f4. I feel like a buffoon when using a PC :(

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The language used in that chart makes me want to give a wedgie and a swirlie to whoever wrote it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

wooger posted:

Which means they're shipping off your data to random places... I feel very sketchy sending any computer for service without removing or securely erasing the storage. That's not possible with any moden macs if something goes wrong.

Those 'random' places are their service depots, which are reasonably secure.

FYI, it even says in AppleCare agreements that YOU, and YOU alone are responsible for your data, Apple will take absolutely no responsibility for it.

Most Geniuses are required to ask you if you backed up your data first; somewhere along the line they may make you sign a form where you agree to them not being responsible for the data, if you ever want Apple to perform service on your machine. If, in this day and age, you do your work without having established a backup system (remember Time Machine?) Apple considers it your fault.

Apple does have a partnership with Drive Savers or some other data recovery company, should you want your work recovered if your media is shot to hell.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I like that Cmd+, is always(?) the preferences window for apps.

For content: is the SD slot fixable or does that require a logic board replacement? I have a late 2009 that won't read cards anymore.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

kloa posted:

I like that Cmd+, is always(?) the preferences window for apps.

For content: is the SD slot fixable or does that require a logic board replacement? I have a late 2009 that won't read cards anymore.
A late 2009 what? Some Macs have the SD card slot on the board, some do not. Other things, such as most animals, don't have an SD card slot at all, even if they were made in late 2009.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Binary Badger posted:

Most Geniuses are required to ask you if you backed up your data first; somewhere along the line they may make you sign a form where you agree to them not being responsible for the data, if you ever want Apple to perform service on your machine. If, in this day and age, you do your work without having established a backup system (remember Time Machine?) Apple considers it your fault.

When you take a computer in for service, there's several points where the user has to consent to anything, which includes warning them about their data. This is done when the Apple Service Toolkit is done, which has to be done first to initiate any sort of hardware repair. The owner also is supposed to sign a waiver or whatever before it's actually taken away or sent out to a depot for repair.

If you're that paranoid, do a Time Machine backup and secure wipe the hard drive.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

A late 2009 what? Some Macs have the SD card slot on the board, some do not. Other things, such as most animals, don't have an SD card slot at all, even if they were made in late 2009.

Missed that. No need to get snippy.

Late 2009 MacBook Pro

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Bob Morales posted:

What benchmarks are those?

These are the best ones I could find:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1482896

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

kloa posted:

Late 2009 MacBook Pro

According to the repair manual, the logic board has to be replaced if the reader is bad. Did you reset the PRAM and SMC? It also suggests booting to another good bootable volume (You want to eliminate any possible software issues).

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

kloa posted:

Late 2009 MacBook Pro
Wasn't getting snippy. Apparently my humor is bad when typed.

That model has the reader on the logic board. I've never been impressed by anything involving the letters "SD," including the slots seemingly-haphazardly attached to recent Macs. If the previously-suggested software stuff doesn't fix it, I'd just get a cheapo USB reader.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I also forgot to mention to check your system profiler. This tells you if the SD card reader is even being detected by the OS and logic board.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Those Windows game benchmarks mean nothing.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Binary Badger posted:

Apple is pretty serious about this; they tell you in their training that you MUST seek immediate medical assistance if you get any glass shards in your eyes, and to use gloves and goggles when handling the display glass. They repeatedly mention that they don't use tempered glass, either, so it does have the potential to shatter into shards if you're being a dick about it.

Do you work for Apple? What's the 'official' method for disassembling Macs/iPads with a glued-on front panel? Is there seriously a guy in every store who sits in the back and does the procedure, risking life and limb in the process?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I just backed over my laptop bag with my 15" retina MBP in it because I'm stupid and tired.

Miraculously, the screen is undamaged, the computer works fine. The case is hosed and the trackpad doesn't work, but still. I've got a genius appointment later today, but I'm actually travelling right now and I'm not gonna be in one place for more than a day or two for the next two weeks. Anybody know what the odds are of this kind of damage being fixable in-store with minimal turnaround?

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Bob Morales posted:

Those Windows game benchmarks mean nothing.

Well are there any better ones?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

NOTinuyasha posted:

Do you work for Apple? What's the 'official' method for disassembling Macs/iPads with a glued-on front panel? Is there seriously a guy in every store who sits in the back and does the procedure, risking life and limb in the process?
There's a wheel tool to cut the adhesive on the iMacs. iPads just get swapped in-store.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'd guess the stress level is way lower when you know you have a spare and you have all the right tools. I think what makes it freaky is taking your own fragile 2000 dollar computer into your own hands with a random guitar pick and slicing out the paper thin screen from its case.

I think we're all kind of hyping it up and it's not that bad when you really do it, but it's still freaky to watch.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Just got back from the Apple Store. Late 2009 27" iMac with a blotchy screen. I've got about 2 weeks left on my Apple Care so I figured it was time to get it looked at.

As soon as it booted up the tech went "Ahhhh I see", so that was a good thing. I was worried I would have to convince them it wasn't just dirt on the glass. He told me that the screen needed to be replaced and they need to order the part. I asked them if the screen was going to be replaced with the same exact screen that came with it or if they had an updated screen that doesn't have this flaw. The tech *claimed* that it will be replaced with a different model screen that will not get all blotchy again, so if that's true it is very good news. I guess only time will tell. They are supposed to give me a call mid-week to let me know on the status of the part.

code:
16-Feb-13
Genius Bar Work Authorization

Product Information
Warranty Status: Protection Plan(A2)
Model: IMAC (27-INCH, LATE 2009)
Problem Description/Diagnosis
Component: System video
Issue: Spots / squares in image (not damage)
Issue: Debris in upper corners of LCD panel.
Steps to Reproduce: Observe display.
Proposed Resolution: Replace LCD panel.
Cosmetic Condition: Minor wear
Known Liquid Damage: No
Check-in Required: Yes
Password: (none)
Would the customer prefer to create a temporary password while their computer is being serviced?: No
Estimated Turn Around Time: We'll call you in 3 - 5 days
Mac OS Version: 10.8.2
Hard Drive Size: 1000 GB
HD Speed: 7200 RPM
Memory Size: 8 GB
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
MLB EEE Code: BA2
Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850
iLife Version: n/a

Repair Estimate
Item Number	Description	Price	Amount Due
661-5527	Display, LCD, 27-inch	$ 567.05	$ 0.00
S1490LL/A	Hardware Repair Labor	$ 39.00	$ 0.00
Total (Tax not included)	$ 606.05	$ 0.00

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

ephori posted:

I just backed over my laptop bag with my 15" retina MBP in it because I'm stupid and tired.

Miraculously, the screen is undamaged, the computer works fine. The case is hosed and the trackpad doesn't work, but still. I've got a genius appointment later today, but I'm actually travelling right now and I'm not gonna be in one place for more than a day or two for the next two weeks. Anybody know what the odds are of this kind of damage being fixable in-store with minimal turnaround?

Be prepared to pay the $1240 flat rate for accidental damage.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

1997 posted:

Be prepared to pay the $1240 flat rate for accidental damage.

Ugh. I was hoping just the topcase and maybe a panel or something. Not looking forward to that, but what are you gonna do. Is this normally something where I'd have to wait for parts to be ordered?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

ephori posted:

Ugh. I was hoping just the topcase and maybe a panel or something. Not looking forward to that, but what are you gonna do. Is this normally something where I'd have to wait for parts to be ordered?

It gets shipped out, 3-5 days turnaround usually.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The retina MBP update apparently has some new internal parts beyond just the CPU bump:
http://9to5mac.com/2013/02/16/new-model-early-2013-retina-macbook-pros-use-some-upgraded-internal-parts/

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations for an external optical drive? My iMac hasn't like CD's for a while and any new Mac I get won't have one built in, so I might as well get one now. Unfortunately I don't even have the slightest idea about optical drives. If it matters I'm running 10.6.8 on a summer 2007 model.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
This one has worked with my Mac for years. Although it requires two USB ports to operate.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Dr. Tough posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an external optical drive? My iMac hasn't like CD's for a while and any new Mac I get won't have one built in, so I might as well get one now. Unfortunately I don't even have the slightest idea about optical drives. If it matters I'm running 10.6.8 on a summer 2007 model.

You do know Apple makes a very nice aluminum external drive. I just bought one despite the fact that there are cheaper plasticky ones out there.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lots of Apple products are a great value in addition to being well designed and aesthetically pleasing. The optical drive might be the last of those three, but it isn't the first and probably isn't the second. Is it still incompatible with hubs? It requires some additional power or something from the USB port that normally only the ports on the Mac itself will provide.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Legdiian posted:

Just got back from the Apple Store. Late 2009 27" iMac with a blotchy screen. I've got about 2 weeks left on my Apple Care so I figured it was time to get it looked at.

As soon as it booted up the tech went "Ahhhh I see", so that was a good thing. I was worried I would have to convince them it wasn't just dirt on the glass. He told me that the screen needed to be replaced and they need to order the part. I asked them if the screen was going to be replaced with the same exact screen that came with it or if they had an updated screen that doesn't have this flaw. The tech *claimed* that it will be replaced with a different model screen that will not get all blotchy again, so if that's true it is very good news. I guess only time will tell. They are supposed to give me a call mid-week to let me know on the status of the part.

Well, so far the fourth display that I got four weeks ago has been the charm for me - even though the iMac gets pretty hot sometimes, so far the discoloration hasn't returned. It's also been the first really flawless display. (The flaws in the others were so small that I wouldn't have returned them just for those, it was that "dust" every time.) So maybe it is a different model.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
For a USB optical drive I would really recommend an external 5.25" drive enclosure, unless you specifically want it to be portable and/or bus powered.
Slim optical drives are rubbish.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

~Coxy posted:

For a USB optical drive I would really recommend an external 5.25" drive enclosure, unless you specifically want it to be portable and/or bus powered.
Slim optical drives are rubbish.

What makes them rubbish? I've been using this one for a while and it's works just fine on Mac and Windows. Plus it's cheap enough that if anything were to happen to it I wouldn't really give a poo poo.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Is there a way to turn off the light that illuminates the apple logo on the back of my macbook air?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bummey posted:

Is there a way to turn off the light that illuminates the apple logo on the back of my macbook air?
Turn off your screen :v:

(It's the screen backlight that lights up the logo)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

wheez the roux posted:

What makes them rubbish? I've been using this one for a while and it's works just fine on Mac and Windows. Plus it's cheap enough that if anything were to happen to it I wouldn't really give a poo poo.

They are just generally unreliable, but if it was cheap then no biggie because you either get it replaced under warranty or buy a new one next time you need it.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I've been using it to burn on average ~10 CDs and DVDs a week since I bought it over a year ago and have yet to encounter any issues, so it seems pretty reliable to me :shrug: Plus I toss it in my bag and it's gotten banged around a lot, so it actually seems durable.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not being serious here, but what task requires you to burn 10 discs a week in the year 2013?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Thanks, I'll check out the Amazon Basics one.