Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Vasudus posted:

I've had three out of three students that I've had upgrade their discharges do it so I don't know, I guess.

http://boards.law.af.mil/AF_DRB_CY2012.htm

All of the branches have their DRB reports up there too.. it can be a lot to dig through, but trust me I have.

Your guys are all very lucky dudes, or had really flimsy cases against them for anything other than an honorable and easily got their stuff upgraded. (Most often with dudes who were still in training, or guys who did their bid but had low eval scores or PT).

I'll get around to typing up a big long thing about it..

Also were the Army? Or Navy? Because the stats are a little different branch to branch. The worst is the USAF-- absolutely lowest approval rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

http://boards.law.af.mil/AF_DRB_CY2012.htm

All of the branches have their DRB reports up there too.. it can be a lot to dig through, but trust me I have.

Your guys are all very lucky dudes, or had really flimsy cases against them for anything other than an honorable and easily got their stuff upgraded. (Most often with dudes who were still in training, or guys who did their bid but had low eval scores or PT).

I'll get around to typing up a big long thing about it..

Also were the Army? Or Navy? Because the stats are a little different branch to branch. The worst is the USAF-- absolutely lowest approval rate.

Two Army and one Marine. I don't recall the exact nature of their discharges (nor would I disclose them, anyway) but I think they were admin seps for alcohol, fatbody and I forget what else.

Omegafrog
Dec 4, 2002
"I'll take a pound of nuts." "THAT'S ALOTTA NUTS!!!"

Vasudus posted:

It normalizes based on your BAH. I got ~275 on top of my BAH of 2225. Since you have pretty low BAH (goddamn, under a grand!) the kicker is there to compensate more for it.

Financial sorcery.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
If you switch to voc rehab make sure you do it before your GI Bill runs out, my monthly allowance was cut in half because I didn't know that :D

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Vasudus! I summon thee.

One of my classmates was either full of poo poo or I completely do not understand how the GI bill works.

Does the number of classes or cost of class play into how much of my 36 months of benefits are consumed under Ch33? He was trying to tell me that I'd still be paying out of pocket as an in-state resident attending a public school when I transfer in the fall. He was also saying that since the school was more expensive, I would run out of benefits faster.

None of this made sense to me as I believe that the GI bill pays for tuition for 36 months total without giving a drat how many classes you take as long as its enough to be full time for BAH stipend.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
Your classmate is a dumb and you shouldn't listen to him anymore.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

Yep. Was this classmate also an Airborne Ranger Fighter Pilot?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
For the first time I'll have to use the yellow ribbon program since my school is $16,785 a semester and the GI Bill pays $18,000 a year in NJ. Do I have to do anything different or does my adviser handle all the paperwork? Do I still burn benefit months and collect BAH and book stipend all the same?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

Some good advice

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

KetTarma posted:

Vasudus! I summon thee.

One of my classmates was either full of poo poo or I completely do not understand how the GI bill works.

Does the number of classes or cost of class play into how much of my 36 months of benefits are consumed under Ch33? He was trying to tell me that I'd still be paying out of pocket as an in-state resident attending a public school when I transfer in the fall. He was also saying that since the school was more expensive, I would run out of benefits faster.

None of this made sense to me as I believe that the GI bill pays for tuition for 36 months total without giving a drat how many classes you take as long as its enough to be full time for BAH stipend.

As mentioned, you shouldn't listen to him anymore, because he clearly has no grounding in reality.

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

For the first time I'll have to use the yellow ribbon program since my school is $16,785 a semester and the GI Bill pays $18,000 a year in NJ. Do I have to do anything different or does my adviser handle all the paperwork? Do I still burn benefit months and collect BAH and book stipend all the same?

Depends on the school, some schools have less spots than attendees so they do a sort of academic thunderdome. Other schools have 9999 spots and it's just another box to tick off. You can't be on YR without collecting, it's just a topoff added to the school payment to reduce or eliminate your out of pocket expenses.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

As mentioned, you shouldn't listen to him anymore, because he clearly has no grounding in reality.

Depends on the school, some schools have less spots than attendees so they do a sort of academic thunderdome. Other schools have 9999 spots and it's just another box to tick off. You can't be on YR without collecting, it's just a topoff added to the school payment to reduce or eliminate your out of pocket expenses.

I checked the VA's website my school has unlimited spots.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I checked the VA's website my school has unlimited spots.

You should be good to go then, provided that their contribution is going to be enough to eliminate your out of pocket expenses.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vas, is there any standardization on Summer Session coursework for state schools?

I went to my VA office yesterday, and they told me I had to be enrolled for 9 credits at any point during the course of the summer-semester-amalgamation, which sort of makes sense, but I was curious.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Vas, is there any standardization on Summer Session coursework for state schools?

I went to my VA office yesterday, and they told me I had to be enrolled for 9 credits at any point during the course of the summer-semester-amalgamation, which sort of makes sense, but I was curious.

There's no standardization, it varies based on the length of courses most of the time. General rule of thumb is that full time for undergrads is 12 hours in the classroom a week - 12 semester credits under the normal fall/spring cycle. If you're taking a 3 credit summer course that happens to meet four times a week - that's 12 hours in the classroom, boom. It gets complicated with uneven lengths of courses that happens over the summer/winter, and may even change year to year at the same school. At my school, to be full time for the duration it was:

Summer 2011: 6cr (3A/3B) with optional summer 'C' of 3 weeks
Summer 2012: at least 4 credits in summer A and B, summer 'C' still optional
Summer 2013: 6CR in A and B required (length extended to 8 weeks from 5), summer C nonexistant

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I really need to talk to my VA rep, so I can plan out my summer. All the courses I really wanted to take were online, and while I like that I need to take some bullshit easy course on campus to get my full BAH.

Here's a list of courses I want to take this summer:

Eight Weeks
May 8 - July 3
CIT 17600 - INFORMATION TECH ARCHITECTURES
3 CR

CIT 20700 - DATA COMMUNICATIONS
3 CR

CIT 21400 - INTRODUCTION TO DATA MANAGEMENT
3 CR

1ST SUMMER
May 8 to June 19
CSCI-N 301 - FUNDAMENTAL COMP SCI CONCEPTS
3 CR

2ND SUMMER
June 24 - Aug 5
CSCI 24000 - COMPUTING II
4 CR

CIT 21200 - WEB SITE DESIGN
3 CR

All those courses are going to be easy, and they lead up to the higher courses and some CIT minors. The only one that is going to be a pain in CSCI 24000 where I'll be learning on my own to program in C, C++, Java, Python, and something else for a full semester course in six weeks. Despite being a pain, give me a half day or a day and I'll put together whatever poo poo they want for a project and go above and beyond for the A+.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I really need to talk to my VA rep, so I can plan out my summer. All the courses I really wanted to take were online, and while I like that I need to take some bullshit easy course on campus to get my full BAH.

Here's a list of courses I want to take this summer:

Eight Weeks
May 8 - July 3
CIT 17600 - INFORMATION TECH ARCHITECTURES
3 CR

CIT 20700 - DATA COMMUNICATIONS
3 CR

CIT 21400 - INTRODUCTION TO DATA MANAGEMENT
3 CR

1ST SUMMER
May 8 to June 19
CSCI-N 301 - FUNDAMENTAL COMP SCI CONCEPTS
3 CR

2ND SUMMER
June 24 - Aug 5
CSCI 24000 - COMPUTING II
4 CR

CIT 21200 - WEB SITE DESIGN
3 CR

All those courses are going to be easy, and they lead up to the higher courses and some CIT minors. The only one that is going to be a pain in CSCI 24000 where I'll be learning on my own to program in C, C++, Java, Python, and something else for a full semester course in six weeks. Despite being a pain, give me a half day or a day and I'll put together whatever poo poo they want for a project and go above and beyond for the A+.

I'm pretty sure summer full time isn't 12 credit hours.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HClChicken posted:

I'm pretty sure summer full time isn't 12 credit hours.

It's whatever your school says it is.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Good god I hate overlapping sessions, it makes for some happy fun times in VA-ONCE. And I hate courses with a catalog ID over 4 digits.

Godholio posted:

It's whatever your school says it is.

This is correct. Full time status is assigned by your school for the purpose of federal loans and accreditation - it's very rarely broadcast outside of traditional semesters, but a school always has to know what is considered full time. While technically full time is whatever your certifying official ticks off in a checkbox as far as the VA is concerned, that would show up on an audit and the school would get reamed with a hot poker. They have to match, and if they don't, there had better be a seriously good reason. Like an extra-intensive internship.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Neighbor tried to tell me that I can claim gas as an expense as a student, and everything on the Internet tells me no, that is not true. I think he's been doing it for a few years now :(

e- when I added in the amount the VA paid in tuition (about 6 grand) last year, Turbotax says it knocked me out of qualifying for an education credit. poo poo.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 16, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

GD_American posted:

Neighbor tried to tell me that I can claim gas as an expense as a student, and everything on the Internet tells me no, that is not true. I think he's been doing it for a few years now :(

e- when I added in the amount the VA paid in tuition (about 6 grand) last year, Turbotax says it knocked me out of qualifying for an education credit. poo poo.
Why wouldn't you be able to claim student mileage? I stopped being able to claim student loan interest pretty much immediately after I graduated. Why does the fed even bother offering a student loan tax break if it's impossible to qualify for? Medical bills are the same way, it's stupid.

Comedy Protip: if you stop using turbotax and do taxes by hand, you can still deduct anything you want!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Are you sure he wasn't wrong? I've taken summer classes at Penn State for two years now (which is where I believe you attend) and every year the rule has been that you be enrolled in 6 credits at any given point since the summer is split into 2 6-week (half-semester-ish) sessions. Hardly anyone takes more than 12 credits over the summer so being enrolled for 9 during each session sounds ridiculous (I took 16 total last summer and that was considered a bit crazy).

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bonds0097 posted:

Are you sure he wasn't wrong? I've taken summer classes at Penn State for two years now (which is where I believe you attend) and every year the rule has been that you be enrolled in 6 credits at any given point since the summer is split into 2 6-week (half-semester-ish) sessions. Hardly anyone takes more than 12 credits over the summer so being enrolled for 9 during each session sounds ridiculous (I took 16 total last summer and that was considered a bit crazy).

They said something changed because someone tried to enroll for 6 for one of the semesters and it was only 3/4 time. I dunno, apparently I have to drop off the certifying paperwork after Spring Break. I'll find out more then. But its not a big deal, right now I've got EE that spans both sessions, Golf, Tennis, and History of Jazz for SS1, and Engl 202C and some Autocad class for SS2.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SquirrelyPSU posted:

They said something changed because someone tried to enroll for 6 for one of the semesters and it was only 3/4 time. I dunno, apparently I have to drop off the certifying paperwork after Spring Break. I'll find out more then. But its not a big deal, right now I've got EE that spans both sessions, Golf, Tennis, and History of Jazz for SS1, and Engl 202C and some Autocad class for SS2.
Protip: take architectural drafting instead of engineering drafting if you can. Female:Male ratio is WAY better and the credits will still count towards your degree (or at least did for me).

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
So I'm filling out my grad school application, and it wants all the schools I've went to. As an undergrad, I spent all my time at one college, so no problem there. I did take 2 "M.A." classes at American Military University on deployment. Should I even bother listing those?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

grover posted:

Protip: take architectural drafting instead of engineering drafting if you can. Female:Male ratio is WAY better and the credits will still count towards your degree (or at least did for me).

Its some ED&G class I can use to satisfy a 400-level Tech Elective. It doesn't really matter, I'm only going to be taking 12 credits a semester next year anyways, so its not like I have a ton of flexibility in that kind of stuff. Plus, I find that classes with high chicks:dudes ratios are on the fatter half of classes in which bullshit is prevelant.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Beria posted:

So I'm filling out my grad school application, and it wants all the schools I've went to. As an undergrad, I spent all my time at one college, so no problem there. I did take 2 "M.A." classes at American Military University on deployment. Should I even bother listing those?

Technically, yes. Since AMU is for-profit they wouldn't be recognized anyway, and you can *probably* get away with not listing them, I would put them down to be safe. Moreso if you got a good grade in them.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'm still on active duty but I want to line up as many ducks as possible ahead of time, how do I transfer my benefits from montgomery to post-9/11?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Jarmak posted:

I'm still on active duty but I want to line up as many ducks as possible ahead of time, how do I transfer my benefits from montgomery to post-9/11?

You fill out a form electing to take 9/11 over old GI Bill.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

You fill out a form electing to take 9/11 over old GI Bill.

To be more specific, you go to VONAPP and start filling out that form.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Deathy McDeath posted:

I thought you just did it at the registrars office. Its not some big bureaucratic nightmare though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Veins McGee posted:

I thought you just did it at the registrars office. Its not some big bureaucratic nightmare though.

Nope, though some registrars/certifying officials still keep paper copies of VA form 1990. I was finally able to convince my office to get rid of ours last year. Filling out a paper form only adds half a week to your processing time too, max :laugh:

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Veins McGee posted:

The VA guy at my school just had me type a 1 sentence statement in email, and it was done.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Is there any situation where Montgomery is preferred over post 9/11?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

Isn't VONAPP for when you already have a school you're going to though?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Is there any situation where Montgomery is preferred over post 9/11?

If you have under 15-ish months of MGIB left it's usually better to drain it, then apply for the 12 month Post 9/11 extension. Now that they give BAH for online classes, Post 9/11 is universally better.

Jarmak posted:

Isn't VONAPP for when you already have a school you're going to though?

Nah, VONAPP is just the way you fill out VA forms online and submit them.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Vasudus posted:

Yeah. This isn't a problem for traditional programs (or even just people taking spring/fall) but anyone in an accelerated program or taking summer/winter courses at a particularly expensive school needs to be aware of it.

Okay, I've gone over what everything will cost, and what I've got to try to figure out how to swing it...came up about 7000 short assuming worst case for everything. Anyhow, in that thought process something occurred to me.

The school I am looking at is an accelerated, 14 month program. That ends up being over the course of two calendar years, of course. However, the tuition is billed in three lump sums over the course of one year, which would probably not actually be in two calendar years...but which might be in two federal fiscal years. I don't know which of these counts, or if it doesn't matter as long as all three bills are within one year of each other.

If I could convince the school to bill me in a certain way (but still within the duration of the program...I highly doubt going outside that would be okay), or if it just naturally happens that they bill in two different federal fiscal years, or whatever the date limit is for tuition limit purposes, would it be possible to have the maximum tuition payment be the limit for two years instead of one? (Or at least, for more than one year, if there's any per-semester cap as well.)

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 21, 2013

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
VideoTapir I'm looking at the same thing right now because I'm going to be attending law school (hopefully, there's only two or three I can apply to) following my undergrad. You need to look at the Yellow Ribbon Program first, because in many cases it will fund the difference between the GI Bill and the cost of tuition. Secondly you need to look at any scholarships you may be eligible for, and in this case you may wind up writing a bunch of essays but it can be done if you look and work hard enough. There might be a bunch out there for veterans too, although at the same time I would think the GI Bill would mitigate the need for them so maybe not. The third option is using students loans and hoping you haven't used up the subsidized ones yet. Explore all of your options in that order, because obviously student loans aren't what you want. But if you have to use them you can rest easy at night knowing that you'll leave college with very few of them comparatively speaking.

edit: Got subsidized/unsubsidized backwards

vacation in kabul fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 21, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Yo what the gently caress is wrong with the VA? My book stipend and BAH for January was late. Why? Well I got a letter saying "Funds were withheld for purpose of paying off a debt you owe the VA. $714.56 was applied to your debt of $0.00, your current balance is now -$714.56." Today I got a deposit of $714.56. What the hell?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vacation in kabul posted:

VideoTapir I'm looking at the same thing right now because I'm going to be attending law school (hopefully, there's only two or three I can apply to) following my undergrad. You need to look at the Yellow Ribbon Program first, because in many cases it will fund the difference between the GI Bill and the cost of tuition. Secondly you need to look at any scholarships you may be eligible for, and in this case you may wind up writing a bunch of essays but it can be done if you look and work hard enough. There might be a bunch out there for veterans too, although at the same time I would think the GI Bill would mitigate the need for them so maybe not. The third option is using students loans and hoping you haven't used up the subsidized ones yet. Explore all of your options in that order, because obviously student loans aren't what you want. But if you have to use them you can rest easy at night knowing that you'll leave college with very few of them comparatively speaking.

Your title is going to get annoying.

Also, law school? You have a hardon for working in food service or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

vacation in kabul posted:

No Yellow Ribbon program. School's in Hong Kong, but affiliated with a US university, so I did ask about it.

Basically, the answer to this question is, for me, the difference between spending every penny I have and will save by the time I start in order to do this, and graduating with some of my savings still in the bank.

Or I could render the whole thing moot and take a chance on a Mainland Chinese school which isn't as compressed and probably wouldn't all fall in one year, and where the tuition limit + housing stipend together would actually cover everything with a little left over even if it was.

Godholio posted:

Your title is going to get annoying.

Also, law school? You have a hardon for working in food service or what?

Either have a job lined up before you go (one of my friends did), or wait a decade or two.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 21, 2013

• Locked thread