Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What is it with cats and knockin poo poo onto the floor :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

KKKlean Energy posted:

It's because that's where the things go.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

My cat is so amazingly skilled at not knocking poo poo onto the floor, it seriously impresses even me. I've come to trust it probably more than I should. I have a table that I sometimes push directly up against one side of my bed (it's the exact same height) and have stuff like my laptop and various things on it. Often a hot beverage as well as a fresh cup of water is there too. And my cat tends to jump onto my bed via this table and she always walks around and/or through the area where the laptop and the fragile cups of liquid are. To date she has managed to never knock anything over either by accident or on purpose and is just amazingly respectful and careful about never knocking poo poo over in general. It truly amazes me.

Although I did learn that that cats apparently have this perfect registration of their back feet where they just always place it in the exact same spot as the corresponding front foot, which is they don't knock stuff over with their back feed behind them where they can't see.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

KKKlean Energy posted:

I'm convinced that cats have an IQ of 190, plus the world's worst ADD. Every time a cat knocks poo poo down, it's discovering Newton's law of gravitation, which it promptly forgets because who gives a gently caress.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

KKKlean Energy posted:

I'm convinced they're hoping that they move after dropping. Movement = target = chase!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

One of my cats is an angel with not knocking poo poo over, she moves with such stealth.

Another does not go into high places, he prefers to prowl low and thus doesn't knock poo poo over anyway.

The last plows through life and my poo poo meowing and trying to get my attention. But it is hilarious when he dives onto a pillow on a coffee table and SLIIIIIDES on it until he crashes onto the dog.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
My cat Austin can't resist knocking books and DVD's off of the bottom shelves.

How do those walk in cat toilets work?

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

All my cats are pretty chill except in the morning and evening(which I'm sure I've heard from here is there natural peak activity time) where they run around from end of the apartment to our end into the bedroom to wake up/prevent us from sleeping me and my girlfriend. I usually kick them and shut the door on nights when I have to wake up early, but when I don't I welcome a 6 month old kitten pawing at my face, meowing loudly, and waking me up with its awful kitten breath. Thankfully, they don't knock stuff over and are content running on our bed, cat tree, offiee room tables, and furniture and not the shelves with important stuff on it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

KKKlean Energy posted:

Is this just a kitten thing or once my little rear end in a top hat gets older will he grow out of it?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
No, it doesn't get better depending on the cat. My childhood cat gave no shits when he became an old man. I once watched him jump up on top of a piano and deliberately knock over all the Christmas figurines that were there so he could lie down in his usual spot.

RIP, little rear end in a top hat :unsmith:

EDIT:
My current cat, who's middle aged knocked over and broke a Jack Skellington figure recently. It's a Disney store original which is no longer made and I can't replace it :(

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 13, 2013

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ema Nymton posted:

No, it doesn't get better depending on the cat. My childhood cat gave no shits when he became an old man. I once watched him jump up on top of a piano and deliberately knock over all the Christmas figurines that were around him so he'd have a place to lie down.

RIP, little rear end in a top hat :unsmith:

My cat doesn't even lie down! He just knocks off everything and looks at me... Especially wireless mice and he's already broke 2 coffee mugs.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sampson deliberately knocks over the kings on my chessboard whenever I play. He will try to play with any pieces off the board but only goes for the kings out of everything still in play. Also dice in any game involving them... They belong on the floor, apparently. Cats, man.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Basically Do not put anything you don't want falling anywhere near an edge, YOU HAVE BACK OF THE SHELVES FOR A VERY GOOD REASON.

Luckily I collect books which cattes preferred method of dealing with is SLEEPING ON IT WHEN I TRY TO READ ONE.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

My old cat never knocked stuff onto the floor, save one time. I took him to the vet for some spastic reason and he was meowing in defiance like "Stoppit! I'm okay!" When I got to the vet, he confirmed that my cat was okay, but since I was there I would get his perscrip food. While I placed him onto the counter to pay, he walked up to a bunch of brochures and knocked them over with his face. Walks to the other side and knocks over another bunch. The receptionist guy was like 'whoops!' but his coworker who knew my cat well said, 'That was no accident.'

It was :colbert: personified. The most I told you so-iest face I ever saw. Gingers, man.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
My cat used to, very deliberately, walk up to something on a table across the room from you then stop, look you straight in the eye, and knock it over. Often it would be a water glass.

Now that he's older (7) he generally doesn't do that kind of thing. He's only naughty if we forget to refill his food bowl or whatever. If he wants attention he just comes up and taps you on the arm. Then if that doesn't work he taps you on the arm again...with claws.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
Has anyone here ever worked with or know of a good pure bred cat rescue? Possibly someone that helps re-home special needs kitties? I may be taking on/fostering an Abyssinian and just thought I'd try to see what other resources are out there to help me get her into a really good home while I foster. I've seen places like this rescue online, but kind of like to have references if anyone knows of something. And here's a picture for your time.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
So I posted last week about our new adopted kitty! We already had a 6 month old (Louie) and things were going so well with him that we decided to get another 6 month old (Dinah).

I asked about some issues with her being scared/skittish, got some good advice, but now that she has been out and getting use to the place a bit we are noticing some troubling things. She still gets scared, but it doesn't seem as bad. When she gets scared enough to run under the bed, it will only be under for 10 seconds before deciding come out and go back to her previous activity.

Though the real issue we are seeing is her being very aggressive, and at times really attacks our current kitty when he tries to play with her.

I guess another issue, is we are not really bonding with her, with our experience with Louie being so amazing we just wanted to recreate that with another kitten. But it doesn't seem to be happening. Once she starts getting really aggressive with Louie, we started to kinda question the entire thing.... My fiance and I both feel really guilty saying it out loud, but we feel like we made a mistake. We don't want Louie to be scared and/or hurt by her, and we just havent felt any love going both ways...

I guess what I am saying is, what are we to do? Is this normal to feel this way? Are we bad people? I realize its been only 1 week, but I guess we were just spoiled with the amazing success we had with Louie.

HighOnBread
Sep 8, 2004
MHMMM MHMMMM
It hasn't even been a week yet, I think it's really premature to be worrying. I adopted a couple of cats about six weeks ago and one of them was very outgoing and the other was very shy and prone to hiding. It was about three weeks before the shy one was really comfortable around the other. He didn't start playing with the outgoing cat until just recently.

A personal closet or a bathroom might help Dinah, especially if she is still skittish. I also played a lot with my outgoing cat during the first few weeks, which seemed to make him less likely to initiate unwanted playing.

motherfish
Nov 11, 2005

Approx how many times do I have to roughly shove my kitty off of the bed until he realizes I don't want him licking my face while also kneading my neck? I feel guilty since he's just being affectionate but come on it's like 5 am

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My cat wakes me up at 5am but I had an effective solution: I reorganised my life so that I get up at 5am. Take that, cat. :smug:

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

PrettyhateM posted:

So I posted last week about our new adopted kitty! We already had a 6 month old (Louie) and things were going so well with him that we decided to get another 6 month old (Dinah).

I asked about some issues with her being scared/skittish, got some good advice, but now that she has been out and getting use to the place a bit we are noticing some troubling things. She still gets scared, but it doesn't seem as bad. When she gets scared enough to run under the bed, it will only be under for 10 seconds before deciding come out and go back to her previous activity.

Though the real issue we are seeing is her being very aggressive, and at times really attacks our current kitty when he tries to play with her.

I guess another issue, is we are not really bonding with her, with our experience with Louie being so amazing we just wanted to recreate that with another kitten. But it doesn't seem to be happening. Once she starts getting really aggressive with Louie, we started to kinda question the entire thing.... My fiance and I both feel really guilty saying it out loud, but we feel like we made a mistake. We don't want Louie to be scared and/or hurt by her, and we just havent felt any love going both ways...

I guess what I am saying is, what are we to do? Is this normal to feel this way? Are we bad people? I realize its been only 1 week, but I guess we were just spoiled with the amazing success we had with Louie.

Thanks for reminding me -- antisocial cat update!

I inquired last month about two cats we'd gotten that were exhibiting antisocial behavior after we got them -- since then, Hades (the older male, 7 mo.) has been more assertive about coming out for petting, and generally gets his purrbox going in pretty short order. He even lets me do belly pets without tearing my hand to ribbons, but he still wants the affection on his terms (itisacattewhatdoyouexpect), so he's a little hard to find from time to time. Persephone (3 mo.) has moved from the back of under the bed to the front of under the bed, and has even been seen sitting on furniture in the open. She still will go sulk under the bed whenever you try to pet her, though. Probably something about how every time we've put hands on her, it's either to remove something from her, or put something in her. :(

I can't speak to the aggression, but it did take almost a month to get this far. Just trying to normalize the antisocial cat owning experience, I guess.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, who else here is spending Valentine's Day with their cat? Raise your hand! *raises hand*

*sobs quietly*

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Jackie probably doesn't care. She's just glad to see you.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

kaworu posted:

So, who else here is spending Valentine's Day with their cat? Raise your hand! *raises hand*

*sobs quietly*

Alternatively, raise your hand if your cat is going to hog your boyfriend all day. They are in LOVE. :catstare:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Charmmi posted:

Jackie probably doesn't care. She's just glad to see you.

Cats are such truly amazing creatures - they really *don't* care, which is refreshing. And it's much better to at least have a cat to be with on Valentine's Day than to be alone, even if one pretends to not to care about such things.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

PrettyhateM posted:

I think if you give it time and offer a lot of affection and attention they'll be able to coexist with each other, and maybe even play with each other. Vertical space, open areas, plenty of food, plenty of play time, petting, grooming, and all the other things you normally do with you cat Louie try to do it more often together with Dinah. I'm in the same predicament as you. The stray cat has become a permanent indoor resident, and the fighting, chasing, and hissing has gone way down. Our youngest kitten will touch noses with him and they'll rear end hello each other, but the other cats are still apprehensive. We've gotten it down to where the other cats will approach the stray with paw stretching distance, and they will all eat together when we bust out the wet food.

kaworu posted:

*sobs quietly*

Spending VD with my six cats, my girlfriend, doing a ton of homework, and studying for an A+ certification.

KKKlean Energy posted:

My cat wakes me up at 5am but I had an effective solution: I reorganised my life so that I get up at 5am. Take that, cat. :smug:

Sometimes, a little kitten pawing at and meowing in your face makes for the best alarm clock.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Sometimes, a little kitten pawing at and meowing in your face makes for the best alarm clock.

Remember one day where my cat flopped onto my arm while I was still asleep one morning. I felt so :kimchi: thinking he was being cute. Then I felt multiple soft jabs in my eye. I tried flipping over but felt my cat on my arm still. Slowly realized that he wasn't cuddling me, he Pinned me. Opened my eyes and his jabbing paw curled up while he was staring at me like "You up yet?".

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Does anyone else get myclonic jerks as they're falling asleep? It's fairly common - for example, it's that thing where you're half-asleep and half-awake but mostly asleep and in the midst of a dream, and in the dream you fall or get in a car crash or something very sudden happens, and your body jerks awake with a fairly powerful leg/torso/whatever spasm. It can just happen or it can happen a lot because of chemical reasons like being on opiates.

Anyway, I get these myoclonic jerks sometimes when I'm sleepy and I'm shocked my cat puts up with it as well as she does. I was thinking about it because last night I had a dream where I fell off a skateboard as I was falling asleep, and my entire freaking body jerked awake with her sleeping on my thighs and she was practically flung into the air. It was actually kinda funny, cats act so scandalized in situations like that.

Anyway I've been wondering if I'm the only one for whom this is a relatively common occurrence :shobon:

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

kaworu posted:

Does anyone else get myclonic jerks as they're falling asleep? It's fairly common - for example, it's that thing where you're half-asleep and half-awake but mostly asleep and in the midst of a dream, and in the dream you fall or get in a car crash or something very sudden happens, and your body jerks awake with a fairly powerful leg/torso/whatever spasm. It can just happen or it can happen a lot because of chemical reasons like being on opiates.

Anyway, I get these myoclonic jerks sometimes when I'm sleepy and I'm shocked my cat puts up with it as well as she does. I was thinking about it because last night I had a dream where I fell off a skateboard as I was falling asleep, and my entire freaking body jerked awake with her sleeping on my thighs and she was practically flung into the air. It was actually kinda funny, cats act so scandalized in situations like that.

Anyway I've been wondering if I'm the only one for whom this is a relatively common occurrence :shobon:

Haha no that's kind of weird actually, and a great story. Made me have to look up myclonic jerks on webmd. I guess here's my story since you've inspired me.

You know how cats are really evil at heart, and won't sit on your lap unless it's inconvenient? Well my cat TOTALLY does that. Last week I was watching Meet Joe Black (one of my favorite movies), reclined in my favorite couch. It would have totally been the perfect time for my cat to come sit in my lap: I wasn't gonna be moving for like 3 hours (it's a long movie) and I could have even pet her while I watched. Of course she waits till the movie is almost over to come sit in my lap! What a total cat thing to do! Anyways I said to her "Hey Trophy, your timing is pretty bad cause I'm gonna have to get up soon," but of course she didn't listen (cat's amirite haha). The movie finally ends and me being the pushover I am I didn't really want to make her move. You see even though it was inconvenient it's really great to have a cat in your lap. The DVD didn't have any special features so I flipped the tuner over to TV and found something to watch. About halfway through the first episode of "How It's Made" I kind of had to go to the bathroom. It was only a little bit so I held it. After about another hour the need to answer the call of the wild was quite intense. Well I didn't want to just pick my cat up and move her cause she would have been pretty mad at me. And if there's one thing you DO NOT want to do it's piss off a cat. Hooboy. Anyways I decided instead casually shift my feet, like I was just getting more comfortable. Hopefully the cat wouldn't pick up on the fact that I WANTED her to move but would instead decide herself that it wasn't the place to be. It didn't work. She just rolled over to her other side. Well I really had to go at this point and without going into too many details lemme just say it was probably medically a good idea (UTI is serious even for non-cats, people). Finally after about 20 more minutes I couldn't take it anymore and I just got up to go pee. It took me literally 2 minutes and when I got back to the couch she had stolen my spot. Haha what a crazy day that was.

I too wonder if I'm the only one for whom this is a relatively common occurrence.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

kaworu posted:

Does anyone else get myclonic jerks as they're falling asleep?

As I'm falling asleep, while asleep, when waking up...I can't tell you the number of dreams I've had about tripping over things. Also Exploding Head (gotta love waking up in a cold sweat panic because you're certain that you just actually heard someone screaming your name, even when that's not physically possible).

Cats have flown. They always forgive me, though.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

El Gar posted:

I too wonder if I'm the only one for whom this is a relatively common occurrence.

My cat will come up to me to sit on my lap, usually when I'm playing a video game or typing. If I don't change what I'm doing, she'll hop over the keyboard and get comfy. However, if I see her wanting to sit and I put the keyboard aside or I reach out to pet her she walks away and looks at me like I'm an rear end in a top hat for offering her the lap spot.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

kaworu posted:

*sobs quietly*

Indy makes a great valentine, I don't have to buy her a cheesy card or presents and she still wants to cuddle up with me. Except that she hasn't brought me any chocolate yet, but I can wait until it goes on sale tomorrow.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

PrettyhateM posted:

I hate to admit it, but when I took in our second cat, I really wasn't sure about him, and I frequently wondered if I had done the right thing. My guys are littermates, but I took them in two weeks apart. The gal I got my first buddy (Oliver) from was unable to find a home for his brother (Adrian), so she asked if I'd consider taking him in as well. At the time, it was just me and Oliver kickin it, so we really bonded. However, Oliver was still just a tiny kitten, and I could tell he got really lonely when I went to work (he would cry for hours after I left :(, according to housemates), so I said I'd take in Adrian as well so they could keep each other company, and Adrian wouldn't be dumped at a shelter. Adrian is just a different personality than Oliver, so he hid the first day or two, and then he was really stand offish (still is to some degree--all affection must be on HIS terms). For the first week or two, Adrian would take swings at Oliver randomly, and I just started to assume he was this dick cat that was going to be terrible. I remember watching him across the room and telling my then fiancé I wasn't so sure the new guy was working, and I felt terrible, but we might have to start looking for another home for him. However, I gave the situation time, and I'm glad I did! As I type, Adrian is trying to push my lap top off my lap (his* lap), so I'll scratch his tummy. :catstare: Adrian and Oliver get along great, and they do an excellent job of keeping each other active and healthy.

I guess that's my long-winded way of saying give it a little more time; obviously sometimes situations don't work, but if I had thrown in the towel right away I would have been robbed of the cat who sleeps on my stomach every night and (thank God) keeps his brother clean. :)

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Came here, because I need to rant. :smith:

Yesterday, my four-year-old tabby Token started acting weird. He was conscious, but he wouldn't respond to petting like he usually does (rolling around in ecstasy), and he would cry out at random intervals. 30 hours later, he's still in the same state. I don't think he's had anything to eat or drink, and I wonder if he's used his litterbox in the time I've been at work. I scheduled a vet appointment two hours from now.

Much like Googling symptoms for human illnesses, looking up cat symptoms leads me to believe he's in an absolutely life-threatening situation that could cost thousands to fix. Now I'm sitting here wondering what will be the price I'll pay to keep him alive. I've got massive student loan debt to pay off, and nobody else is willing to spend a dime on the him. So even though I'm not even his original owner nor the person he spends the most time with, I'll have to make that call. gently caress.

I'm starting to feel incredibly guilty. My brother moved back in and brought his dog with him, so the cat's been in fear of his life at various times in the past year. For his safety, we put him in a room while we're gone, so he spends most of the day sleeping or staring out a window at our tiny porch area.

If he gets out of this, I'm going to strongly consider letting him go outside a little. He's front-declawed (Don't lecture me; it wasn't my decision), so that's probably an incredibly stupid idea. But I really want the poor thing to have some happiness in his short little life.

gently caress.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Wildeyes posted:

Came here, because I need to rant. :smith:

Yesterday, my four-year-old tabby Token started acting weird. He was conscious, but he wouldn't respond to petting like he usually does (rolling around in ecstasy), and he would cry out at random intervals. 30 hours later, he's still in the same state. I don't think he's had anything to eat or drink, and I wonder if he's used his litterbox in the time I've been at work. I scheduled a vet appointment two hours from now.

Much like Googling symptoms for human illnesses, looking up cat symptoms leads me to believe he's in an absolutely life-threatening situation that could cost thousands to fix. Now I'm sitting here wondering what will be the price I'll pay to keep him alive. I've got massive student loan debt to pay off, and nobody else is willing to spend a dime on the him. So even though I'm not even his original owner nor the person he spends the most time with, I'll have to make that call. gently caress.

I'm starting to feel incredibly guilty. My brother moved back in and brought his dog with him, so the cat's been in fear of his life at various times in the past year. For his safety, we put him in a room while we're gone, so he spends most of the day sleeping or staring out a window at our tiny porch area.

If he gets out of this, I'm going to strongly consider letting him go outside a little. He's front-declawed (Don't lecture me; it wasn't my decision), so that's probably an incredibly stupid idea. But I really want the poor thing to have some happiness in his short little life.

gently caress.
You have no idea what's wrong yet, so you should probably relax and stop immediately jumping to thoughts of massive debt, "making that call," or the cat's "short little life." It could be nothing. You did the right thing making the vet appointment, now relax until there actually is something to worry about. Also, if he turns out to be fine, consider pet insurance for future potential emergencies.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah seriously, cats can be weird at times, it could turn out to be nothing and you may never find out what it ever was.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
It's not nothing. Urinary blockage, as expected, and it's looking very, very bad. They're going to treat him and send him home, and there's about a 50% chance of the blockage reoccuring. I'm not at all optimistic here, but I'm going to do everything I possibly can to help.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Wildeyes posted:

It's not nothing. Urinary blockage, as expected, and it's looking very, very bad. They're going to treat him and send him home, and there's about a 50% chance of the blockage reoccuring. I'm not at all optimistic here, but I'm going to do everything I possibly can to help.

If it is the most common thing that occurs in young to middle aged male cats to cause urinary blockage, FIC, he won't be quite out of the woods for a couple of days but there are definitely things you can do to manage the condition to try to prevent it from happening again in the long term.

Here is a site that makes a few suggestions and links to another site that has a little more in-depth information: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_idiopathic_cystitis.html

I have a cat with FIC who hasn't had any more issues in 2 years so it is possible to manage the condition!

(also Gar omg I know EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Wildeyes posted:

Good luck :sympathy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

If it is the most common thing that occurs in young to middle aged male cats to cause urinary blockage, FIC, he won't be quite out of the woods for a couple of days but there are definitely things you can do to manage the condition to try to prevent it from happening again in the long term.

Here is a site that makes a few suggestions and links to another site that has a little more in-depth information: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_idiopathic_cystitis.html

I have a cat with FIC who hasn't had any more issues in 2 years so it is possible to manage the condition!

(also Gar omg I know EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT)

Thanks, that site looks like it has some helpful advice. If he survives the next several hours, I'm going to get him the bitchinest food, water bowl, scratchy post, and toys around.

It's appreciated. :unsmith: