Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I used 700MB of roaming data last month and will probably be passing 4GB this month (3GB down with 10 days left in the billing period) but haven't gotten a letter from Sprint yet. I wonder if I can just call them and have that process kickstarted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Lots of people use lots of roaming data on Sprint with no issue from Sprint.

However, rarely do people get away with using lots of data AND lots of roaming voice minutes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

Okay, just checked the actual policy document, official policy is "two or more cracks" makes a device damaged beyond repair.

Actually GETTING someone to do it if it's one long crack may be difficult. If Sprint decides it's damaged beyond repair when we send it back, they charge us a couple hundred dollars, which will usually come out of the tech's paycheck. So we're kind of paranoid about that sort of thing.

If it's more than one crack (or it's one crack that branches), definitely out of luck.

It's not a known issue with the phone on our end either. It all seems to be software stuff that was fixed in updates (except for the "Apple headsets don't work" issue, which may or may not be fixed).

To add to this, its "up to two cracks under 1 inch." So yeah, a longer crack can be tough.

Techs in my area were taught the quarter rule, and if the crack was longer than a quarter it was DBR.

Ironically, Sprint's warehouse is actually pretty bad at catching this, and my store used to get away with murder sending back cracked screens. Most people won't risk this though.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

If that's true, I'm boned. It's the full width of the glass, maybe 2.5 inches. No signs of pressure or anything, though. Happened out of nowhere.

I haven't even had enough time to be rough with this, yet. Guess I'll see how my visit to the store goes, but I'll have to plan to send this to Texas. Ugh.

e: Made it to the store. SOL as far as Sprint is concerned with my non-insured phone. They seemed confused, too. Now sending the thing off to LG to pay X amount of money.

Don't do crack.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 14, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bobfather posted:

Lots of people use lots of roaming data on Sprint with no issue from Sprint.

However, rarely do people get away with using lots of data AND lots of roaming voice minutes.

Well, I don't make a lot of calls, but it would follow that if nearly all my data usage was roaming, nearly all my voice minutes would be as well.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So I guess Sprint SGS3 has a software update, but it's just some little fixes no on cares about?

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005
Does anyone else have issues where if you're sending a text just as you receive one (or 2 or 3). It just sits there and won't send your text? Even though you keep receiving fine.
It just sits there trying to send them and I can't do anything until they fail and I resend.
On EVO LTE

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
So my PRL updated itself today, and now I'm getting 1.9Mbps on 3G. Awesome. Maybe I should stick with Sprint instead of going prepaid? Still doubting that LTE will be coming to Maine anytime soon.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

So I guess Sprint SGS3 has a software update, but it's just some little fixes no on cares about?
It's an update to 4.1.2 but without any of the "Premium Suite" features the international S3 4.1.2 update had.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CombatCupcake posted:

Does anyone else have issues where if you're sending a text just as you receive one (or 2 or 3). It just sits there and won't send your text? Even though you keep receiving fine.
It just sits there trying to send them and I can't do anything until they fail and I resend.
On EVO LTE

Yes, I've had this happen a couple times on my S3. If a message takes more than 20 seconds to send, I'll kill it and retype it.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Ender.uNF posted:

Approximately 615 updated sites today in: Atlanta/Athens (102), DFW (92), New York City (81), Houston (63), Washington DC (44), Orange County (41), Riverside/San Bernardino (28), Kansas (14), LA Metro (13), Nashville (12), Philadelphia Metro (12), Baltimore (11), San Diego (11), Delaware (10), East Michigan (8), Alabama (7), Minnesota (7), Las Vegas (6), SF Bay (6), Georgia (5), Norfolk (5), Gulf Coast (4), PR/VI (4), Tampa (4), Charlotte (3), Miami/West Palm (3), South Carolina (3), VT/NH/ME (3), Orlando (2), Upstate NY Central (2), Upstate NY East (2), West Michigan (2), East Texas (1), Jacksonville (1), North LA (1).
Does this mean if a tower is upgraded to 3G/NV and marked as complete, then there will be no 4G upgrade for that tower?

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 14, 2013

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Allaniis posted:

Does this mean if a tower is upgraded to 3G/NV and marked as complete, then there will be no 4G upgrade for that tower?
No, they should all be upgraded to 4G once the backhaul is in place and LTE is enabled for that site. They pretty much all start out showing just 3G after the NV upgrades. 4G and 800MHz come later, although some sites will need additional work for 800MHz from what I've read.

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:
I just noticed that LTE has been rolled out in the far north suburbs of Chicago (Round Lake). Still don't get a good signal in my work building but it's a nice surprise when I go outside.

It's definitely a lot better in my apartment but we've had LTE in the city for a while now.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

datajosh posted:

No, they should all be upgraded to 4G once the backhaul is in place and LTE is enabled for that site. They pretty much all start out showing just 3G after the NV upgrades. 4G and 800MHz come later, although some sites will need additional work for 800MHz from what I've read.

This isn't strictly true, sometimes 4G comes online first, sometimes all three. Remember that these numbers are verified by Sprint as work completed; the crew may have installed everything, Sprint just isn't done configuring it yet, or hasn't gotten someone out to look at it and verify the work. Except Chicago for interop reasons, they aren't deploying any other towers until backhaul is available.

All the towers are getting LTE, 3G, and backhaul upgrades at the time of install. Most are now getting 800 antennas too, eventually all of them will have those.

Short version is all towers will have LTE, 3G, and 800 MHz SMR with nice fast backhaul.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Allaniis posted:

I actually just read a neat article on this. Not all towers are alike. Some get fully upgraded right away. Others (GMO sites) get kind of upgraded and then you have to wait another year or so for them to come back and add LTE and 800MHz equipment.
Sprint deploys special Ground Mount Option Network Vision sites in some low capacity and high engineering locations

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

td4guy posted:

I actually just read a neat article on this. Not all towers are alike. Some get fully upgraded right away. Others (GMO sites) get kind of upgraded and then you have to wait another year or so for them to come back and add LTE and 800MHz equipment.
Sprint deploys special Ground Mount Option Network Vision sites in some low capacity and high engineering locations

Looks like this is why Omaha is not going to get LTE.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I assume they're replacing phantom menu button pressing S2s with refurbed S2s, correct? Is the problem actually fixed, or is it just replacement roulette?

I went ahead and bought one on eBay (for $87!), and the issue happens occasionally, but not often enough that I'd replace it unless I know I'd get a decent one back.

As a mini trip report: I got it and immediately installed the 4.2.1 CM beta that is on XDA, and it's surprisingly not awful! I'm getting the bluetooth audio stuttering issue badly, but hopefully that'll be fixed in 4.2.2. Apart from that, the screen seems nice, it runs very quickly, the battery life is good on CM, and I can use Chrome now (too slow on the NS4G). Normal eBay auctions for them end at around $150, and I wouldn't pay that much, but for $90, or even up to $125ish, it's a good holdover if you're saving your contract for the summer phones as long as you don't mind installing custom ROMs. I was looking at the Galaxy Nexus too on the advice of the thread, but this auction ended up so cheap I went this way instead.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 16, 2013

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Grumpwagon posted:

I assume they're replacing phantom menu button pressing S2s with refurbed S2s, correct? Is the problem actually fixed, or is it just replacement roulette?

About a third of the replacement phones that we've ordered to replace the phantom menu thing still have the problem.

I suspect the problem is tough for them to reproduce, since it only seems to happen with some phones in certain areas around here.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I'm visiting family down in Charlotte, NC and noticed my phone said 4G. Wow, they need to get moving getting it done in Buffalo. It's pretty wonderful.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

datajosh posted:

It's an update to 4.1.2 but without any of the "Premium Suite" features the international S3 4.1.2 update had.

Is the Sprint S3 expected to get the Premium Suite update?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

brc64 posted:

Is the Sprint S3 expected to get the Premium Suite update?
I came across a post from a Sprint rep on the Sprint Community site where they claimed it wasn't ready for the US variants yet and it'll be added later on, guess we'll see how that goes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I am getting conflicting awnsers on this. I am a discount through my job 23% from Sprint I have a code and everything but can I apply that if I buy my phone/plan through the Amazon store as they have the best phone deals. I cannot seem to find a place to tell them I have a corporate discount when going through the cart, would there be an issue if I applied the code later?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

socialsecurity posted:

I am getting conflicting awnsers on this. I am a discount through my job 23% from Sprint I have a code and everything but can I apply that if I buy my phone/plan through the Amazon store as they have the best phone deals. I cannot seem to find a place to tell them I have a corporate discount when going through the cart, would there be an issue if I applied the code later?

No, and you'll need to go to http://sprint.com/verify after processing the upgrade anyway if you haven't verified or reverified within the last 24 months.

Credit Union members remember you can get a 10% service discount and waived activation fees by verifying CU membership. Download the Invest in America app.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 17, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

Just remember that the discount will take a month or two to hit adding it after the fact.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

TVs Ian posted:

About a third of the replacement phones that we've ordered to replace the phantom menu thing still have the problem.

I suspect the problem is tough for them to reproduce, since it only seems to happen with some phones in certain areas around here.

Is there a minimum time I should wait after swapping this phone to my account before I take it in?

r3plica
Feb 29, 2008
New Note 2 OTA mysteriously lets google wallet work without any work other than sideloading the apk.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is it possible to get an unlocked iPhone for Sprint and use it without smartphone features, so that i'm not paying the $10 a month smartphone fee? I've never used an unlocked phone so i'm not fully aware on how it works.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ChocNitty posted:

Is it possible to get an unlocked iPhone for Sprint and use it without smartphone features, so that i'm not paying the $10 a month smartphone fee? I've never used an unlocked phone so i'm not fully aware on how it works.

Pretty sure that's an unequivocal no. You can only have a dumbphone (and I think maybe there's a a couple blackberryesque dumbishphones) with a dumbphone plan. They probably check the IMEI/ESN.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

LG Optimus G has a locked bootloader, but seems like a decent phone. Galaxy Nexus is a great phone and price if a little older. Galaxy S3 is a great phone but not for the price turns out it's the same price as the Optimus.

I'm going back onto my family's plan after being on monthly 4G with T-Mobile for 6 months. I already sold my unlocked Nexus, but I'm having trouble deciding on a phone now. It looks like Amazon Wireless has the S3 and LG Optimus for the same price, so I'd probably go with that. I don't really care for Samsung, though, and my last LG phone lasted me 2 1/2 years and took a hell of a beating.

What's the story on rooting the Optimus? Anybody have any info on that?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Concurred posted:

LG Optimus G has a locked bootloader, but seems like a decent phone. Galaxy Nexus is a great phone and price if a little older. Galaxy S3 is a great phone but not for the price turns out it's the same price as the Optimus.

I'm going back onto my family's plan after being on monthly 4G with T-Mobile for 6 months. I already sold my unlocked Nexus, but I'm having trouble deciding on a phone now. It looks like Amazon Wireless has the S3 and LG Optimus for the same price, so I'd probably go with that. I don't really care for Samsung, though, and my last LG phone lasted me 2 1/2 years and took a hell of a beating.

What's the story on rooting the Optimus? Anybody have any info on that?

Get the Galaxy S3, Samsung now has way better quality control and software support than LG.

ChocNitty posted:

Sorry, this can't be done with sprint, Verizon or any CDMA (no SIM card) carrier (cricket doesn't count). Even SIM based carriers like ATT will detect it and auto add a data plan. Best bet is tmobile or something like straight talk.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 19, 2013

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

Get the Galaxy S3, Samsung now has way better quality control and software support than LG.

We are probably about 2 months from the galaxy S4. If I was phoneless and in need right now I would just grab a cheap used phone to activate and save my subsidy for that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

We are probably about 2 months from the galaxy S4. If I was phoneless and in need right now I would just grab a cheap used phone to activate and save my subsidy for that.

Or this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hey, if someone uses 5 1/2 GB of roaming data in a month do you think they'd be able to call Sprint up and just drop from their contract instead of using up another 10+GB of roaming data waiting for Sprint to give them the boot? I imagine they run monthly/quarterly reports on high roaming usage but if someone were to call in, would it raise any flags ahead of that?

e: I know you're not Sprint anymore but I'm just wondering if you've ever seen/heard of this happening.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Hey, if someone uses 5 1/2 GB of roaming data in a month do you think they'd be able to call Sprint up and just drop from their contract instead of using up another 10+GB of roaming data waiting for Sprint to give them the boot? I imagine they run monthly/quarterly reports on high roaming usage but if someone were to call in, would it raise any flags ahead of that?

e: I know you're not Sprint anymore but I'm just wondering if you've ever seen/heard of this happening.

Nope, you have to wait for them to call you. All anyone would do is tell you the policies, but they have no where to escalate it to.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
About how long after my numbers are ported out will Sprint close my account? I got them done yesterday and later got an account notice that my PIN had been changed (blanked out when I checked) and my billing notification preference had changed (I'm not sure what this change consisted of.) Do they wait until a new billing cycle to fully close it? I'd like to know if my $200 credit will actually be refunded to me and not disappear next month or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Voltin Bolt posted:

About how long after my numbers are ported out will Sprint close my account? I got them done yesterday and later got an account notice that my PIN had been changed (blanked out when I checked) and my billing notification preference had changed (I'm not sure what this change consisted of.) Do they wait until a new billing cycle to fully close it? I'd like to know if my $200 credit will actually be refunded to me and not disappear next month or something.

Immediately, you are just getting old notices sent to your number. That ring said, just call in and confirm its canceled, there could always be an error.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Duckman2008 posted:

Immediately, you are just getting old notices sent to your number. That ring said, just call in and confirm its canceled, there could always be an error.
They were email notifications, not texts or anything like that. Either way, should I still be able to login to my sprint.com account? It shows me as having 0 devices in my list but nothing else seems to have changed.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I have signed my life away to AT&T due to a corporate rate I qualified for, and the fact that 3G much less 4G coverage is barely existent in my area. I would like to, however, transfer my SERO plan over to my mother because of how great the plan is, and her not needing data as badly I do. What steps should I take to ensure that I dont accidentally cancel my Sero plan and lose it forever?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

At this point it seems the only people being allowed to get SERO plans via transfer are those who already have it or EPRP and are using the SERO on an extra line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

I have signed my life away to AT&T due to a corporate rate I qualified for, and the fact that 3G much less 4G coverage is barely existent in my area. I would like to, however, transfer my SERO plan over to my mother because of how great the plan is, and her not needing data as badly I do. What steps should I take to ensure that I dont accidentally cancel my Sero plan and lose it forever?

Since she's your mother, and not some random stranger, how about leaving the plan and billing as-is and letting her reimburse you for it? You can even port her number onto the plan, assuming she doesn't already have Sprint service.