Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Xguard86 posted:

I don't know if that's his official area or what but ya... looks like most of what he writes is in that purview. What a loving joke. I don't think the model S is a world changer but its clear that people are afraid of it and fighting dirty to resist innovation.

The dude is so full of poo poo there is nothing he can say that I'll believe.

From of all places the New York Times? After pretty much all the actual "Car" publications like MT and C&D have been raving about the car? :psyduck:

It's obviously that the propaganda arm of the OBUMMER administration just wants American companies(other than GM and Chrysler) to fail.

Friar Zucchini posted:

There isn't any Maybe involved here at all. Or fanfare, for that matter.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2012/ram_2500_3500/

I'm not sure what you mean here but the Powerwagon is only available with the 5.7l V8. The V6 diesel would be a pretty decent match for it since it has plenty of torque and is relatively small and lightweight. I'm skeptical that the big Cummings is a good match since it's huge and heavy and expensive and probably overkill for something like the Powerwagon?

I mean, 240hp on a 2500 frame would be slow as gently caress, sure, but I guess they're not built for speed.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

blk posted:

Kind of surprised how high Porsche is on the list.
Why would you be surprised? Porsches are actually quite well known as being extremely reliable cars. They're one of the new high performance cars you can flail the gently caress out of constantly, and they just come back for more.

Be prepared to bend over and take it in the rear end if you ever have to take it to the dealer, though; everything costs WAY more than it should. The 20k oil change interval might also help with the way JD Power does their ratings.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

grover posted:

Why would you be surprised? Porsches are actually quite well known as being extremely reliable cars. They're one of the new high performance cars you can flail the gently caress out of constantly, and they just come back for more.

I think Entier would like to argue that after shelling out a shitload of money to replace the motor in his Cayman. Not to mention the other large numbers of people that had to do the same thing because Porsche wouldn't admit there was a problem. Yeah sign me up for that :rolleyes:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

leica posted:

I think Entier would like to argue that after shelling out a shitload of money to replace the motor in his Cayman. Not to mention the other large numbers of people that had to do the same thing because Porsche wouldn't admit there was a problem. Yeah sign me up for that :rolleyes:
Small % chance of catastrophic failure every time you turn the key: part of the Porsche excitement!

I'm sure if JD Power considered repair cost, Porsche would be further down the list. But 997.2/987.2 covered in this report don't have IMS issues, not do the Cayennes which represent the bulk of the #s.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

dissss posted:

They've said that about every model since at least the VN

haha really? Also yeah you're right link
Good news provided it stays rear wheel drive...
This is just like what Ford announced a few years ago regarding the Falcon

SS variant was unveiled this morning too, 6am my time or so. Link
No real spoiler :( !

Here are some pictures

Should be interesting to see where it goes from here and what HSV will do with it

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
HSV will put two spoilers on the back for every one Holden doesn't. I'm glad they've dumped the goofy 90s style one that was on the VE

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Not surprised at all to see Mini so far down on all those lists

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

grover posted:

nor do the Cayennes which represent the bulk of the #s.

I thought Cayenne V8s were pretty unreliable?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Nearly everything German is unreliable.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Response from John Broder (NY Times) regarding Musk's challenge to the Model S review in the Times:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/that-tesla-data-what-it-says-and-what-it-doesnt/

It seems to me like there's some blame to spread around on both sides. The article is not as much of a hatchet job as Musk makes it out to be, but Broder seems to display some (ok, a lot of) willful ignorance. It also seems like the folks Broder talked to on the phone at Tesla were not the most knowledgeable.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

I thought Cayenne V8s were pretty unreliable?

I looked on truedelta (maybe you did too) and it does seem that all the data available is for the V8. I wonder if the V6 is better? There's more info on the Touareg which is supposed to be a similar vehicle and it's also a nightmare.

The links that lead me to Rennlist did give me this unexpected gem.

EDIT: Oh god now I want one. 2005 Turbo with 60k miles for $25k. :negative:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 15, 2013

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

leica posted:

Total problems that I have had in 46K miles of Cayman ownership (it now has ~62K) and 35 track days:

1 cat (right bank I recall), replaced under emissions warranty
1 water pump (just starting to weep), replaced pre-emptively

Sure that's my anecdotal evidence to match his anecdotal evidence, but please consider the following:

1. He popped his engine at the track, as do most people who experience similar failures
2. Most of these failures occur on modified cars, with R-comps, camber plates and the like
3. Such forums are going to attract disproportionate amounts of people who i) push their cars right up against (or past) the envelope of what Porsche designed these cars to do, ii) are very vocal and iii) have experienced failures

The fact that there's a thread out there with 20-30 engine failures experienced by owners who track their cars with varying degrees of seriousness means nothing in the overall scheme of things. It says nothing about the everyday reliability of these cars. Anyone who's looking for a full-time, dead-reliable track slut should know that a stock 987.1 is entirely wrong for them. I track my car knowing that a 100 degree day, a botched downshift and/or a bit of bad luck might kill the motor, but I do so knowing that it's on me if/when it happens. Anyone who can't accept that possibility should drive their 987 in quiet and responsible fashion on the street :)

(I know nothing about Cayennes but briefly considered a V10 TDI in the past)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Admirable Gusto posted:

3. Such forums are going to attract disproportionate amounts of people who i) push their cars right up against (or past) the envelope of what Porsche designed these cars to do, ii) are very vocal and iii) have experienced failures

It only looks bad because Porsche markets the DNA of their products as being racing derived. Lots of Porsche owners track their cars and they don't quite stand up to that lofty marketing claim.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kimbo305 posted:

It only looks bad because Porsche markets the DNA of their products as being racing derived. Lots of Porsche owners track their cars and they don't quite stand up to that lofty marketing claim.
The failure rate of tracked Porsches is pretty damned good compared to... well... just about everything else people track stock.

It's ironic, but the primary failure mode for IMS bearings is not abuse by driving the car too hard, but abuse by not driving it hard enough! Seems Porsche designed the M96 engine, but had issues with oil pooling during long high-speed sweepers during track sessions in early development and compensated by raising the oil level. This unfortunately changed the IMS from a normally only subject to oil splash to being semi-immersed in oil all the time, which lead to seal failure. At which point, the grease washes out and the IMS is lubricated entirely with engine oil. Low-viscosity motor oil requires high RPMs to properly lubricate the IMS bearing. One big shop did done numbers on this and found the failure rate for tracked cars and "drive it like you stole it" cars was WAY lower than the failure rate for low mileage garage queens- EG, the cars that may never see 3000 RPM their entire lives. This is, incidentally, also the most likely reason tiptronics have lower failure rates: owners accidentally push the pedal too hard and their cars downshift compared to their "launch in 5th gear" counterparts. That one rennlist thread where the owner accidentally got his engine up to 6500rpm and was terrified he broke the engine cracked me up almost as much as the thread where one owner seriously asked if you wax your car yourself or only trust professionals to do it- yes, those people DO exist, and really need to have their Porsches forcibly taken away. As do the 80% of BMW 1-series owners who think their car is FWD. But that's another topic altogether...

From what I know of EinTier, I'm positive he did everything right. I'd be willing to bet his IMS was destroyed and on the way out before he even bought the car, but he had no way to know it until it finally let go.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 15, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The new Commodore SS looks great and I'm sincerely hoping that I won't have to bring a manual transmission over from Australia (since it'll be an option in the US version of the car, unlike the G8)

I really really like it :fap:.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Exactly. Here's your race derived car, but don't drive it too hard because IMS bearings!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

leica posted:

Exactly. Here's your race derived car, but don't drive it too hard because IMS bearings!
Except IMS failures are not related to tracking- they're actually related to NOT tracking. I just explained this two posts above yours.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

That one rennlist thread where the owner accidentally got his engine up to 6500rpm and was terrified he broke the engine cracked me up almost as much as the thread where one owner seriously asked if you wax your car yourself or only trust professionals to do it- yes, those people DO exist, and really need to have their Porsches forcibly taken away.

Can you link a brotha up? I'm feeling in the mood for some schadenfreude :allears:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

This is the kind of attitude that results in ford raptors ending up 15 feet in the air.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

grover posted:

Except IMS failures are not related to tracking- they're actually related to NOT tracking. I just explained this two posts above yours.

Either way, what does it matter? The point is it's a major issue that Porsche chooses to ignore.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

KozmoNaut posted:

Can you link a brotha up? I'm feeling in the mood for some schadenfreude :allears:

I wanna read it too. Sounds like the post a guy made on a BMW forum, wondering if he needed to get his engine replaced because he redlined his BMW for two-three seconds.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

grover posted:

The failure rate of tracked Porsches is pretty damned good compared to... well... just about everything else people track stock.

I don't see Nissan running ads of all its huge racing heritage, or implying "yeah man, throw some R-compounds on that 240sx and just flog it at the track!"

Powershift posted:

This is the kind of attitude that results in ford raptors ending up 15 feet in the air.

I honestly think Porsche owners who track their cars are quite skilled and know where the limits are (that recent GT2 driver notwithstanding). They're like Eintier -- they know there's major issues but try to do their best to watch out for failure.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I lurk a bit on Rennlist and based on my overall observations it seems (NOW) that one really needs to be in at least a GT3 if you are tracking your 911 a lot. That doesn't mean there aren't 996/997/991 base and S model owners "tracking" their cars, but they are doing so knowing their car doesn't have the race goodies like a dry oil sump that the GT3 does and are risking more problems.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 16, 2013

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The new 9A1 seems to be holding up well with the Cayman endurance racing. It's probably the future of their motorsports as well, the new GT3 is rumored to be moving away from the old Mezger engine. I've read a few rumors about a 9A2 to be used in the GT3 as well.

Normally this is where people talk about the 9A1 having a dry sump and no IMS bearing to worry about. Unfortunately a couple weeks ago I got a nice flashing check engine light on the Boxster Spyder. Had to tow it to the dealership and it turned out to be a bad ignition coil on cylinder 1. Now I know poo poo happens but the car only has 18k miles on it. So there's some anecdotal evidence. I'm still confident in the engines long term future though.

Oh and GT3s have plenty of problems on the track. Coolant hoses commonly pop off up front (imagine how that would go at the track), the centerlock hubs on the 997.2 GT3s have to be replaced every 5k miles, and the engines need rebuilds after a certain amount of track hours. Obviously that's a given with any engine but Mezger engines routinely cost $15-20k or more to rebuild.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
How do you like the Spyder? I've thought hard about trading my CS in for one, and I used to own a Solstice so I'm used to fiddly tops :)

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

the new GT3 is rumored to be moving away from the old Mezger engine
Yes pretty sure the 4.0 Mezger in the GT3 RS 4.0 was presented as the final, ultimate evolution of the Mezger engine i.e. implying that they were finally killing it after decades of amazing service

quote:

Oh and GT3s have plenty of problems on the track. Coolant hoses commonly pop off up front (imagine how that would go at the track), the centerlock hubs on the 997.2 GT3s have to be replaced every 5k miles, and the engines need rebuilds after a certain amount of track hours. Obviously that's a given with any engine but Mezger engines routinely cost $15-20k or more to rebuild.
I have heard about the hose issue, and IIRC the threshold for rebuilds with the Mezger is 60 track hours :gonk: But wasn't the centerlock issue some kind of a mfg/design defect? Surely it can't be within spec for hubs to die after 5k miles of use

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hog Obituary posted:

Response from John Broder (NY Times) regarding Musk's challenge to the Model S review in the Times:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/that-tesla-data-what-it-says-and-what-it-doesnt/

It seems to me like there's some blame to spread around on both sides. The article is not as much of a hatchet job as Musk makes it out to be, but Broder seems to display some (ok, a lot of) willful ignorance. It also seems like the folks Broder talked to on the phone at Tesla were not the most knowledgeable.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Admirable Gusto posted:

How do you like the Spyder? I've thought hard about trading my CS in for one, and I used to own a Solstice so I'm used to fiddly tops :)

Yes pretty sure the 4.0 Mezger in the GT3 RS 4.0 was presented as the final, ultimate evolution of the Mezger engine i.e. implying that they were finally killing it after decades of amazing service

I have heard about the hose issue, and IIRC the threshold for rebuilds with the Mezger is 60 track hours :gonk: But wasn't the centerlock issue some kind of a mfg/design defect? Surely it can't be within spec for hubs to die after 5k miles of use

The Spyder is fantastic. I've had a 997.1 GT3 in my sights for a few years now and now that they're in the 70s I was all set to buy one this summer. Problem is, the Spyder is just too drat good. I spend a considerable amount of time looking up different cars to buy and I can't bring myself to part with it. The top is a bit of a pain in the rear end but even then it's not that big of a deal. I'm used to a bit more drama with the power delivery but it is so drat smooth it's deceptive how fast it really is. I can't imagine having a use for an extra 95hp with the GT3 (but admittedly I'm yet to drive one, I need to make friends with an owner at some point). The lingering thought is that I'm not driving around in the top model and it's annoying that I'm falling prey to Porsche's lovely marketing department. Why not just put the 3.8l from the 997.2 GTS in the Boxster or Cayman and mark up the price? Very frustrating.

The fear some current GT3 owners have is that rumors are pointing to a variation of the 9A1 being used in the standard GT3 while the GT3RS gets an updated version of the Mezger engine. I'd be a little put off on the concept of the GT3 if it wasn't using the same engine as the Cup cars. No one wants a warmed over C2S with a GT3 badge on it.

The centerlock issue has a lot of people pissed off and yeah it's a design flaw that Porsche is not owning up to. If they're going to put them on high performance cars intended for the track, a 5k mile replacement interval is complete bullshit. For about $2500 you can swap over a 5-bolt hub and skip the drama.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Is that 5k miles on the track or just regular driving?

So the Chebby version of the Commodore is revealed.

It's pretty good looking inside and out but they must not expect to sell very many of them, since the V8 is the only engine. No mention of a manual transmission although that's par for the course. They need a LWB version of for Buick, resurrect the Park Ave moniker and add a performance variant with an even hi-po engine.

EDIT: No AWD either on this one, another thing they could add to a possible Buick model, as customers in winter climates can already choose from an AWD V6 twin turbo Ford/Lincoln and an AWD V8 300/Charger.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 16, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think they're actually limiting production of the model to a very small amount. I'm not sure how much.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think they're actually limiting production of the model to a very small amount. I'm not sure how much.

They didn't say where they were going to build it so one assumes Australia, in which case they're going with the classic GM "well we lose money on each one we sell so let's make it up on volume and try not to sell too many of them" strategy.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Throatwarbler posted:

They didn't say where they were going to build it so one assumes Australia, in which case they're going with the classic GM "well we lose money on each one we sell so let's make it up on volume and try not to sell too many of them" strategy.

Yes, because GM has been showing "classic GM" for the past couple years right?

They have said from the beginning that this was a limited production vehicle. Do you ever look anything up or do you just type the first thing that pops into your uneducated mind?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

XCPuff posted:

They've been hitting more homeruns than they used to, but "classic GM" still pops up every now and then. The 2013 Malibu is a pretty good example of classic GM, it's arguably worse than the car it replaced.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

So Spinning off Ram as its own brand has at least one benefit: As a brand that only makes one product they can at least make them pretty reliable. Ram is now just behind Honda and far above Mazda or Nissan.

In other news, Mercedes getting better? Guess in one or 2 years it will be a good time to pick up an SL63 AMG for $35k. :dance:

Seeing near the top and Ford below average makes me think the Fusion and Taurus would be extremely reliable, while the small cars and pickups not so much.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

XCPuff posted:

They have said from the beginning that this was a limited production vehicle. Do you ever look anything up or do you just type the first thing that pops into your uneducated mind?

I'm pretty sure we'll have a return to classic GM once we start seeing cars that were developed under the new leadership. It's a pretty legit thing to say considering there has been a major leadership change recently.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
This is about the 5th car this production year I've seen the GT-R style vent on the side. Is this going to be the new port hole?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Devyl posted:

This is about the 5th car this production year I've seen the GT-R style vent on the side. Is this going to be the new port hole?

you know lots of cars have had vents in that position way before the GT-R including a well known GM product

every Corvette since 1953

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I had high hopes but so much black plastic everywhere. Who looked at this and said yes, that is the look that will make people buy this. Chevy SS, looks like a cheap rental car. That should be the slogan.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Elephanthead posted:

I had high hopes but so much black plastic everywhere. Who looked at this and said yes, that is the look that will make people buy this. Chevy SS, looks like a cheap rental car. That should be the slogan.

You're talking about the interior or the exterior? Because the exterior looks pretty normal. The black license plate holder up front and fake diffuser in the back is quite common at even the premium ends of the market - Audi, etc.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

kill me now posted:

you know lots of cars have had vents in that position way before the GT-R including a well known GM product

every Corvette since 1953

I don't mean the vent its' self. No, tons of cars have side vents. I mean the chrome trim around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Man talk about half-measures. Not only is there no manual option, but the sheetmetal is last-gen design language. I was kind of hoping this would be a real crazy limited edition, like experimental styling with some innovative features at an absurd (for a Chevy) price. But it's just going to be an expensive G8.

So does it have an LS3 or an LT1? I've seen conflicting reports.