Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

SpclKen posted:

Infinity Blade is really good! I think I am going to buy Infinity Blade Two because of how much I enjoyed 1 for free. I thought someone mentioned IB Dungeons, but I don't see that in the App Store. Is that for iPad only or is that even a game?

It's not a game and is a huge shitstorm because Epic closed down the studio that was developing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok, Legit Real Racing 3 talk:

1) I have an iPad 3. I find the "performance" of the game (read: Framerate) to be, oh, just a hair south of acceptable. It stutters a lot.

2) This is definitely made LESS acceptable, when you compare it to your experiences on an iPhone 5 (almost never hitches, very rock solid.)

3) Not that I'll likely still be playing this then, but given the tilt steering, and the beefy processing needed, this game would be basically IDEAL on some future version of the iPad Mini that runs better processors and such. Good size/weight for Tilting, and hopefully no chugging.

Does this game support iCloud, multiple device profiles?

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Feenix posted:

Good size/weight for Tilting, and hopefully no chugging.

That's disgusting.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Feenix posted:

It is an un-game now.
It's funny, because I was talking about IB1 and IB2 a while back in the thread, and although IB2 is better in basically every way, if it were made F2P it would more closely resemble a typical F2P game than IB1, due to gem forge timers. Both games (now particularly the first) are pretty great examples of fun number-increasing games with repetitive play mechanics that straddle the line between "polished, real" pay-to-play iOS games and "freemium IAP-bait garbage" F2P games. It's just the repetitive play mechanic (sword-swipe/tap-dodge) is more fun to some people than button-pushing simulators are.

Admittedly, there is more story/content in IB games than in most freemium stuff, but it's still pretty thin, on about the same level narratively as any fighting game.

Also, I saw this article on the Penny Arcade Report a couple days ago, which was kind of interesting. It compares the current state of F2P games with IAP to amusement parks, which started evolving from microtransactions (tickets) entirely to one-price "bracelet" admission systems a couple dozen years ago. Overall the trend was that the parks made more money with one-price admissions than they ever did with tickets. I think it's an interesting comparison, especially when you note the people who disdain all IAP except currency doublers, timer halvers, etc. which are "one-time" purchases.

That being said, the analogy to amusement parks is kind of a hollow one. There's a finite, discernible amount of rides in an amusement park, and you can clearly see what they are like and ask people coming off of them about their experience. The park can also still make money off of concessions and skill games, which is essentially just real-life IAP to "round out" your amusement park experience.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

I don't seem to be seeing updated timers in RR3. Repairs still take time although servicing takes a bit less time I think. Did they reverse the change?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

radge posted:

I don't seem to be seeing updated timers in RR3. Repairs still take time although servicing takes a bit less time I think. Did they reverse the change?

They reduced everything by 2/3 it seems to me, if they did remove repair timers they put them back in again but at the lower rate.

I don't know if upgrades have changed as I have nothing I can afford to do atm on the only car that isn't maxxed.

Starting at the back on a fairly short race sucks pretty hard, by the time you've had to crashem smashem your way through the field the leaders are usually way too far in front for you to have a chance to catch them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fazana posted:

They reduced everything by 2/3 it seems to me, if they did remove repair timers they put them back in again but at the lower rate.

I don't know if upgrades have changed as I have nothing I can afford to do atm on the only car that isn't maxxed.

Starting at the back on a fairly short race sucks pretty hard, by the time you've had to crashem smashem your way through the field the leaders are usually way too far in front for you to have a chance to catch them.

As of this morning, Repairs are still instant to me. Services take time (but less).

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Feenix posted:

As of this morning, Repairs are still instant to me. Services take time (but less).

In the interests of :science: I just took the Focus for a spin and ended up with 6 repairs needed at the end of the race after using the other cars as braking points. 2minutes 15 seconds worth. I *think* that's a third of what it was when I played last night but I'm not 100% certain. Still peanuts, repairs weren't the big hassle.

Or at least not for a start but eventually I was racking them up every race as you have no choice but to bump and grind to get anywhere in a 22 car field in a 2-3 minute race.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fazana posted:

In the interests of :science: I just took the Focus for a spin and ended up with 6 repairs needed at the end of the race after using the other cars as braking points. 2minutes 15 seconds worth. I *think* that's a third of what it was when I played last night but I'm not 100% certain. Still peanuts, repairs weren't the big hassle.

Or at least not for a start but eventually I was racking them up every race as you have no choice but to bump and grind to get anywhere in a 22 car field in a 2-3 minute race.

Are you not near internet or something? Sometimes the game updates when you launch it. Repairs are instantaneous. (for me.)
As in, press the button, and a sound goes off and you are repaired. SERVICING still takes time.

That said, I just did dumb poo poo. I assumed the timers could run concurrently. So I had a 30 minute service and was like, ok might as well also do any other <30 minute servicing. Sure enough, I didn't realize they queue. (Which makes sense, sadly.)

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I'm still waiting for Phoenix Wright, I want to play that so bad.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

SpclKen posted:

Infinity Blade is really good! I think I am going to buy Infinity Blade Two because of how much I enjoyed 1 for free. I thought someone mentioned IB Dungeons, but I don't see that in the App Store. Is that for iPad only or is that even a game?

IB2 is a great game if you like the system in the first one. Improves the first one in every way including the addition of Troy Baker as a voice actor for the main character :swoon:.

IB dungeons however, was just cancelled and I am very sad. Both for Impossible Games who was developing it (ex-38 studios people who got another shot :smith:) and because I want a good dungeon crawler on the ipad.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Feenix posted:

Are you not near internet or something? Sometimes the game updates when you launch it. Repairs are instantaneous. (for me.)
As in, press the button, and a sound goes off and you are repaired. SERVICING still takes time.

That said, I just did dumb poo poo. I assumed the timers could run concurrently. So I had a 30 minute service and was like, ok might as well also do any other <30 minute servicing. Sure enough, I didn't realize they queue. (Which makes sense, sadly.)

Yup, I've been rerolling P&D JP version a big chunk of today including just now and have an ongoing chat window with my son while I help him diagnose some trouble with his PC :iiam:

I *think* each of the three types run consecutively within their own tree but concurrently with the other groups. I get "Focus is repaired" notifications which are essentially useless as it will still be sat in servicing etc.

I forgot to mention I'm running it on an ipad3 and whilst I see the odd stutter I've been pretty impressed at how well it runs with how many cars can be onscreen and the level of detail on some of the tracks. I don't have anything to compare it to though, a friend has an ipad4 and he was really raving about it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fazana posted:

Yup, I've been rerolling P&D JP version a big chunk of today including just now and have an ongoing chat window with my son while I help him diagnose some trouble with his PC :iiam:

I *think* each of the three types run consecutively within their own tree but concurrently with the other groups. I get "Focus is repaired" notifications which are essentially useless as it will still be sat in servicing etc.

I forgot to mention I'm running it on an ipad3 and whilst I see the odd stutter I've been pretty impressed at how well it runs with how many cars can be onscreen and the level of detail on some of the tracks. I don't have anything to compare it to though, a friend has an ipad4 and he was really raving about it.

Actually, I killed everything (including RR3) and restarted and yes, now Repairs take time and must be queued. Not MUCH time, but time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kepa posted:

Closest thing I could figure out was that Lite versions used to really flood the App Store. Every game had a lite version. And it seems people just got tired of all these demos, with Lite getting a negative connotation, so they stopped downloading them completely.

This was it for me. When I got my first iOS device I grabbed a bunch of particularly crummy Lite versions. Tons of ad spam for other titles by the publishers, less than five minutes of gameplay if any gameplay at all, etc. It was way more of a headache than it was worth to decide if I wanted to spend a buck.

Bummey hit on a big part of the problem earlier, I have such a huge backlog of titles that went free/I got on sale it drives the standards for a full price sale up to an unreasonable level. I've barely started Dungelot, Dungeon Story, Dragon Island, Scribblenauts, Ticket to Ride Pocket and Europe, Bard's Tale, Song Guru, Radballs, Can't Stop, War on Terror, Titus, all the EA holiday stuff and more, all titles that were free. I also have stuff I picked up on sale like the full Summoner Wars unlock, all the Ascension expansions, Nightfall, 10000000, PvZ, Adventure Bar Story and more.

So the first challenge for any developer wanting to get a full price sale from me is to create something so compelling I absolutely must play it before all of those titles, and anything that might go free in the meantime. No wonder it's such an uphill battle to monetize good iOS games.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Bottom Liner posted:

What is your strategy to break the game like that? I'm pretty bad at it.

"Broken" is a strong word.

Yet sometimes it applies.

(Good to know: Attack power can go over 1000, it just truncates the display. Health tops out at 999, so I will likely be dying soon as ninjas are popping up with 160 attack and such, and sooner or later I will run out of spells.)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Boxman posted:

Cytus is also on sale for just a buck, and I think there's at least 20 songs there without having to pay to unlock more. I haven't tried DJ max, but Cytus is a blast.

Cytus has 42 songs out of the box and 20 more available as IAP. (The IAP would run you ten bucks though. It's kind of an odd deal.)

They are also doing a really weird thing where they are planning to have a total of 100 songs and every 100k purchases of the game makes another set of IAP songs free. Or maybe it's 10 new IAP songs every 100k players? Their wording is not great but they have dreams of getting a million players across all platforms and having 100 songs out of the box.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Det_no posted:

Cytus has 42 songs out of the box and 20 more available as IAP. (The IAP would run you ten bucks though. It's kind of an odd deal.)

They are also doing a really weird thing where they are planning to have a total of 100 songs and every 100k purchases of the game makes another set of IAP songs free. Or maybe it's 10 new IAP songs every 100k players? Their wording is not great but they have dreams of getting a million players across all platforms and having 100 songs out of the box.
Yeah, that million thing is going to take forever. Consider how long it took them to just get to 100k. I just bought the two dlc packs to support them.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

loudog999 posted:

Is anyone else playing that Need for Speed game that IGN gave away a few days ago. It was posted in this thread, which is how I learned of it, and I am have so much fun with it now. It really is the reason I became interested in Real Racing 3, now Real Racing 2 instead, because it shows the iPad is an awesome device for racing games.

I've been playing Need for Speed and I enjoy it. Have you logged into their GameCenter alternative? It's a little lonely with only my name on the leader boards and I wanted to know if that was a big hassle to sign up for?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, that million thing is going to take forever. Consider how long it took them to just get to 100k. I just bought the two dlc packs to support them.

I honestly don't think they'll ever manage but the game is pretty drat good and a great deal even without the discount going on right now.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Owlkill posted:

So am I missing something with this Pixel People gold exploit? I'm supposed to move a building and then move it back and the amount of gold coming in should increase? I've been trying this and mine just seems to stay at a pretty steady rate.

It's basically like adding an identical building to your village, so if you move around a 10 CPS building you're not going to notice it much. When I moved around my 208 CPS Town Square I was able to hit 100k CPS pretty quickly. By the end of a day leaving the app open on my iPad I had over a billion coins. And now I'm pretty much done with the game. This glitch has to be costing them money; I'm surprised the last patch didn't fix it.

MissMarple posted:

And don't move Residential because I have a suspicion that fixes it.

Not true. Going back to the home screen fixes it but one time I accidentally swiped between apps and when I went back to the game it was still glitched.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

El Hefe posted:

I'm still waiting for Phoenix Wright, I want to play that so bad.

It's been a long year since we've heard any news.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How does Horn compare to Infinity Blade II? I know they both use the Unreal engine, and have a similar combat system.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

How does Horn compare to Infinity Blade II? I know they both use the Unreal engine, and have a similar combat system.

I haven't played Horn, but I've seen the gameplay and Horn is much more RPG-like. You're actually running around, clearing obstacles, and moving around in the world. Combat looks to be a bit more varied in Horn as well, but the general idea's the same as IB2. The only gameplay in IB2 is the combat, and tapping to move from one background to the next for more combat (if you want to get specific, the gem timers kind of count as "gameplay"). I can't say if Horn is actually a good game or not but reviews seem pretty positive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else playing TNNS? It's pretty loving cool but hard as hell.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Feenix posted:

Ok, Legit Real Racing 3 talk:

1) I have an iPad 3. I find the "performance" of the game (read: Framerate) to be, oh, just a hair south of acceptable. It stutters a lot.

2) This is definitely made LESS acceptable, when you compare it to your experiences on an iPhone 5 (almost never hitches, very rock solid.)
I'm re-evaluating my opinion, the instant repairs, and reduced maintenance time let me play as long as I'd like. I've picked up some other cars and am at 50% on Pure Stock, and with the new balance I can see this being fun again.

It totally runs ragged on my iPad 3 - stuttering, and hitching. And not just when I get a notification. I like the Time Shifted Multiplayer - much better than AI that follows a racing line no matter what.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Ascendancy is 99 cents now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hadji murad posted:

Ascendancy is 99 cents now.

What is it? The description assumes I already know what the game is.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Port of a PC 4x game with unique art. Solid buy at $1 if you like the genre.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
How well does the interface work on an iPod Touch?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

porktree posted:

I'm re-evaluating my opinion, the instant repairs, and reduced maintenance time let me play as long as I'd like. I've picked up some other cars and am at 50% on Pure Stock, and with the new balance I can see this being fun again.

It totally runs ragged on my iPad 3 - stuttering, and hitching. And not just when I get a notification. I like the Time Shifted Multiplayer - much better than AI that follows a racing line no matter what.

Are you Bill A.? Scourge of my TSM?
:)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Flame112 posted:

How well does the interface work on an iPod Touch?
It's actually pretty OK, they've done a good job of redesigning how all the in-game menus work for touch input. They even tied the tech-tree inertia to the inertial scrolling on the phone :glomp:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
According to http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Final+Fantasy+Tactics%3A+The+War+of+the+Lions/news.asp?c=48587 the Android port of FFT has updated graphics and a redesigned touch interface. Why I'm linking the story is that it also says they will be putting these features into the iphone/ipad version "pretty soon." They are already on discounted sale on the Japanese store so perhaps that will happen here as well to coincide with the update.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I'm looking for either something Pokemon-y or Fire Emblam/X-COM-y to play on my iPad. Are there some must-plays in either of those genres?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Coq au Nandos posted:

I'm looking for either something Pokemon-y or Fire Emblam/X-COM-y to play on my iPad. Are there some must-plays in either of those genres?

There's a WIP xcom clone I forget the name of. Alien Invasion maybe? Otherwise, Ravenmark and the Hunters series come highly recommended.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

eeenmachine posted:

Freemium Frog loving was the true sign of the iOS gaming apocalypse.

loving isn't free :patriot:

Played a bit of Sky Gamblers, seems pretty decent so far. Anybody know if the WW2 flavor of it is any good?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Thirst Mutilator posted:

There's a WIP xcom clone I forget the name of. Alien Invasion maybe? Otherwise, Ravenmark and the Hunters series come highly recommended.

http://appshopper.com/games/aliens-versus-humans

As far as Pokemans, the two to look at seem to be http://appshopper.com/games/dragon-island-blue and this one http://appshopper.com/games/zuko-monsters popped up a couple of weeks ago, not tried it yet though.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Fazana posted:

According to http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Final+Fantasy+Tactics%3A+The+War+of+the+Lions/news.asp?c=48587 the Android port of FFT has updated graphics and a redesigned touch interface. Why I'm linking the story is that it also says they will be putting these features into the iphone/ipad version "pretty soon." They are already on discounted sale on the Japanese store so perhaps that will happen here as well to coincide with the update.

Here's hoping the update doesn't include a bunch of IAP to unlock jobs as well :ohdear:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Whoops, never mind.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

Here's hoping the update doesn't include a bunch of IAP to unlock jobs as well :ohdear:

I'd pay a couple bucks to get access to even more jobs. I'm a total addict for job-based RPGs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Feenix posted:

Are you Bill A.? Scourge of my TSM?
:)

I am, I can only assume you are the oddly accented Feenix. I am not sure how to change back to porktree other than unhitching it to my faux face book account.

• Locked thread