Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

b0nes posted:

She is adorable, and she has fantastic taste in cars, but I don't know if I could live with that accent. I thought at first it was Canadian.
"And I was like nuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

Yes, she's a great girl, and yes, you'd be able to live with her accent.

I simply love scottish girls with that accent - mind you, her accent reminds me so much of a girlfriend from Perth I had (Scotland, not Perth Australia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
From this,

to this,

James May, getting things done.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

It was actually a diversion - Hammond (and we) thought he was just a tired old man while actually he had planned everything in advance. He slept the exact time needed to have the required strength for the final bit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

But he still only came second. Ambitious but rubbish.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

KozmoNaut posted:

But he still only came second. Ambitious but rubbish.

How DID he come second if he was on a bike?

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

How DID he come second if he was on a bike?

I'm guessing it took longer than they showed to assemble. It was only a mile after all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He probably got lost.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Dick Diggler posted:

I'm guessing it took longer than they showed to assemble. It was only a mile after all.

And something tells me that he isn't exactly in very good shape.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

And something tells me that he isn't exactly in very good shape.

Nah, it's James May, he probably just took too long getting those 4 bolts torqued down properly.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It was actually a diversion - Hammond (and we) thought he was just a tired old man while actually he had planned everything in advance. He slept the exact time needed to have the required strength for the final bit.

I love that they did that Chekov's Gun-style insertion of his suitcase early on in the feature - at the time you don't think anything of it, but at the end you're thinking a-ha!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And they constantly banter about his complete refusal to run on television, too.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Kidney Stone posted:

Yes, she's a great girl, and yes, you'd be able to live with her accent.

I simply love scottish girls with that accent - mind you, her accent reminds me so much of a girlfriend from Perth I had (Scotland, not Perth Australia).

I wish I knew where to meet these girls. Also Clarkson grinning was creepy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

b0nes posted:

I wish I knew where to meet these girls. Also Clarkson grinning was creepy.

Might I suggest Scotland?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

b0nes posted:

Also Clarkson grinning was creepy.

He really likes R8s, and even more now that this 25 year old does.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
TGUS with the campers was pretty funny. The reveal with the Civic wagon was terrific.

And that last race on the dirt track was quite good as well. I'm really liking this format of just one long segment and no interview.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

webmeister posted:

I love that they did that Chekov's Gun-style insertion of his suitcase early on in the feature - at the time you don't think anything of it, but at the end you're thinking a-ha!

I didn't notice the bag at first, but as soon as they had that back-and-forth that ended with James saying he still wouldn't run, something went off in my head and I knew he had to have a scooter or something packed away in there. After that I was anticipating it for the rest of the race, and the payoff when he finally pulled it out was fantastic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have to wonder how long tgus will last if all it does is copy old top gear challenges. It's entertaining and all, but top gear is also about car reviews.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
This time it wasn't even that they used a Top Gear UK challenge, they blatantly ripped off the three vehicles from the original as well.

Although I loved Rutledge's Honda, and I don't care if it makes me a bad person, I want to try building something like that someday.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

nmfree posted:

This time it wasn't even that they used a Top Gear UK challenge, they blatantly ripped off the three vehicles from the original as well.

Top Gear US: Unambitious and Rubbish

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I have to wonder how long tgus will last if all it does is copy old top gear challenges. It's entertaining and all, but top gear is also about car reviews.

Are any of those three real car journalists? (Covering NASCAR doesn't count.)

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

G-Mach posted:

Not to my knowledge. Tanner is a driver, Adam is a comedian, and Rutledge has done a little NASCAR coverage.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

G-Mach posted:

Why doesn't covering NASCAR count?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"He's turning left... and he's turning left... and left again..."

:rimshot:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

pik_d posted:

Why doesn't covering NASCAR count?

A racing journalist doesn't necessarily know how to review a road car?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

G-Mach posted:

A racing journalist doesn't necessarily know how to review a road car?

I.e. the entire original rationale behind the Stig.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cojawfee posted:

Does it really matter though? There isn't another car show like it, other than TGUK, and I thought the ratings were decent enough. And besides, if it's taken off the air it's not like we're going to get a better version to replace it.

I could do without Mr. 70's Cadillac, Adam's schtick has kinda run out at this point, but Rutledge and Tanner can be rather funny together.

Although Adam doing donuts on serving trays was kinda amazing.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The only problem I had with the "hidden collapsible bike in a suitcase" trick is that both Hammond and May did the exact same thing back in the Japan race.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought it was a riff on that. They were in it together that time for the joke of the reveal. This time, James was trolling Richard with a callback Richard should have seen coming.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sir Tonk posted:

I could do without Mr. 70's Cadillac, Adam's schtick has kinda run out at this point, but Rutledge and Tanner can be rather funny together.

I agree. Tanner has his sports cars for everything schtick, and Rutledge has his "I got a volkswagen" thing. Usually they get interesting cars though. Every single time, Adam gets some GM behemoth that shouldn't even be considered.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I agree. Tanner has his sports cars for everything schtick, and Rutledge has his "I got a volkswagen" thing. Usually they get interesting cars though. Every single time, Adam gets some GM behemoth that shouldn't even be considered.
On the other hand, rolling his insane RV was really, really funny.

I thought it was a great episode, and I like the new format a lot. It's really silly, but sometimes that's all I want. I'm glad they aren't trying to do TGUK's format anymore, since they just weren't very good at it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Kenshin posted:

On the other hand, rolling his insane RV was really, really funny.

I thought it was a great episode, and I like the new format a lot. It's really silly, but sometimes that's all I want. I'm glad they aren't trying to do TGUK's format anymore, since they just weren't very good at it.

I tend to agree with this. The US show is growing on me but the hosts they have just don't have big enough chemstry or personality to do segments like The News well. They really don't get much time to banter or bicker in the challenges, either. I'd wager it's a deliberate choice, considering how often the UK hosts (mostly Clarkson and Hammond) get in trouble for the things they say.

I'm still not entirely sure having the entire episode devoted to a challenge is the best way to go, a lot of the recent ones feel like they'd work better with some tighter editing.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Drakkel posted:

I tend to agree with this. The US show is growing on me but the hosts they have just don't have big enough chemstry or personality to do segments like The News well. They really don't get much time to banter or bicker in the challenges, either. I'd wager it's a deliberate choice, considering how often the UK hosts (mostly Clarkson and Hammond) get in trouble for the things they say.

I'm still not entirely sure having the entire episode devoted to a challenge is the best way to go, a lot of the recent ones feel like they'd work better with some tighter editing.

Well part of it is just how much time they have. Both TGUS and TGUK are one hour programs, but TGUS has commercials (so about 48 minutes of actual programming) vs a full hour for TGUK.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I don't really see the problem with TGUS. They had to cut it down for commercials, so they took out what is normally hated by all - SIARPC - something that is there for the sake of retaining a license as a factual program - the news - and left in the juicy bits. Sometimes they even have enough time for a *cough* test of a car at the end. As cliche as it now is for Adam to show up with some sort of yacht for every challenge, I think it's entertaining to actually see some of those cars still alive and kicking. Other than the challenges borrowing heavily from TGUK, I'm glad they've gone in a different direction.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sir Tonk posted:

TGUS with the campers was pretty funny. The reveal with the Civic wagon was terrific.

And that last race on the dirt track was quite good as well. I'm really liking this format of just one long segment and no interview.

I enjoyed it as well. The Honda was amazing.

I like the format a lot better than the old one. It seems to suit them better. And I'll defend Adam being on the show. His choices are always really, really ridiculous. You an always expect Tanner to have a sports car of some sort, and Rutledge to have a Volkswagen (the van a couple of weeks ago in Mexico was amazing. I told my wife he'd have an old VW of some sort, but I had no idea how right I'd be..) but with Adam all you know is that it's going to be big, old, and American. And therefore completely terrible at whatever challenge they're going to do.

The bit at the end is usually passable as a review. Not always, but I'm fine letting TGUK do the reviews and TGUS cock about more. There are only so many reviews of the FR-S I can watch before I get bored.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Foehammer007 posted:

Amy MacDonald. :swoon:

The funny thing for me is I have a friend with the same name.. I sent her a message asking if she was aware she'd been the SIARPC. Her response was 'well, I have to keep busy somehow...'

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Looking at loading some Top Gear US episodes on my tablet to keep me company on my flights, is season 3 any good? I prefer episodes that involve dicking around instead of serious automotive journalism, or should i just stay away?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

whiskas posted:

Looking at loading some Top Gear US episodes on my tablet to keep me company on my flights, is season 3 any good? I prefer episodes that involve dicking around instead of serious automotive journalism, or should i just stay away?

At Season 3 it's almost all crazy car challenges, so you're good!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Foehammer007 posted:

Amy MacDonald. :swoon:

Have some more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjskgK_mHVA

I have to say, I really like her singing voice.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 16, 2013

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Drakkel posted:

I wish they weren't against each other all the time, there occasionally needs to be a Them vs. The World kind of challenge to break up the monotony and maybe attempt to build some chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TGUS might have time to review cars if they didn't spend 30 seconds before and after each commercial break telling us what just happened and what we are going to see next.