Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

MacDougall posted:

And what's the difference between trying to win a game and win a tournament? Surely the tournament is more important and thus doing what they did is actually far more understandable.

Throwing away your wicket to help your team win a match

Throwing away a match to help your team win a competition

What's the difference?

Do you play/have you played a sport, just out of interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Ajmal is a beast.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is going on here? This is not the game we were assured would happen!

Fuuuuuck his stats for this spell are 17-5-32-5

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

goatface posted:

What the hell is going on here? This is not the game we were assured would happen!

Fuuuuuck his stats for this spell are 17-5-32-5

Its amazing, that's what it is. The sweet, sweet tears when Kallis was given out.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

RideTheSpiral posted:

Ajmal is a beast.

I love Ajmal (when he is not playing England), double so when he is playing the Saffers

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I can't even recall a shot being played during this 20+ over spell.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Christ, that could have been number six.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

goatface posted:

Christ, that could have been number six.

...and again. That is one of the best spells I've ever seen.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

is ajmal the chucker?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Ajmal owns, and it's always nice to see the South Africans getting reamed at home (even if it is for one innings). Even if his doosra is suspect, who cares?

Murali and Harbhajan had long careers with similar actions, Warne took 1001 international wickets with the help of steroids, Ashley Giles only got to play at the international level because of politics, etc. etc.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

that's a lot of words for 'yes'

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

According to the science people, 'no'.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Yeah he's a chucker.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Quanta posted:

the science people who didnt ask him to turn the ball as much as he does in real matches because they're idiots lmao

Also

Smorgasbord posted:

Not a good total but hey we're only playing England so should be more than enough.

Cant wait for the test series. Might as well be more odi's for the amount of time your batsmen will last.

Malmanous
Mar 28, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Cant wait for the test series. Might as well be more odi's for the amount of time your batsmen will last.

That's a bit optimistic isn't it?

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Quanta posted:

You have to understand that if a Pakistani fast bowler takes wickets, they're a serial ball-tamperer, and that if a subcontinental spin bowler (I don't need to use "subcontinental" to talk about fast bowlers because all the decent ones are Pakistani), they're a chucker.

Bowlers who get comparable reverse swing and turn but who have white skin are of course unfairly maligned innocents.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ilanin posted:

You have to understand that if a Pakistani fast bowler takes wickets, they're a serial ball-tamperer, and that if a subcontinental spin bowler (I don't need to use "subcontinental" to talk about fast bowlers because all the decent ones are Pakistani), they're a chucker.

Bowlers who get comparable reverse swing and turn but who have white skin are of course unfairly maligned innocents.

Im pretty sure i'm calling Ajmal a chucker because hes a chucker who got away with not bowling his proper doosra in the tests because they're pointless and dont replicate match conditions.

But if you say i'm a racist i might as well get my white hood out and go lynching.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey now. He said you were racist, not American.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ilanin posted:

The worst post in this thread with a bullet. Pure idiocy.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

whatttt

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 16, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Marlon Samuals is also a chucker. Uh oh!

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Kane Williamson chucks it too so...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ilanin posted:

Actually the only way this post could be more gbs is if you had a go at the use of gendered pro nouns because we dont know how Ajmal identifies.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
bent elbows are endemic to the mongoloid race

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Smorgasbord posted:

Kane Williamson chucks it too so...

Kyle Mills and Andrew Ellis too. A key difference with our chuckers though is that they don't get any advantage from it, they're just too poo poo to bowl properly.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

While I don't agree Ajmal is the victim of racism today, when reverse swing was hitting the news in the early-90s, there was a disgusting racist undercurrent in the English media when Waqar and Wasim were running through the English batsmen in England. Maybe most of the posters in this thread aren't old enough to remember that series twenty years ago, but I recall all the idiocy that went on in that series vividly.

I don't have a problem at all with Ajmal. If Murali and Harbhajan Singh have had full careers with questionable doosra actions, then I'm fine with Ajmal. Batsmen have it too easy these days.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Tony A. Butt posted:

bent elbows are endemic to the mongoloid race

Excellent summary of some of the shittest posts this thread is likely to see

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Also, if Murali and Ajmal passed the biomechanics tests, the ICC had little choice but to let them continue to bowl their doosras. They have to base their decisions on the available science rather than "I'm a dickhead from the internet and that guy is a loving CHUCKER" logic.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every successful bowler is a chucker.

And a oval office.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i wasnt even born 20 years ago so i can't be a racist

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Quanta posted:

While I don't agree Ajmal is the victim of racism today, when reverse swing was hitting the news in the early-90s, there was a disgusting racist undercurrent in the English media when Waqar and Wasim were running through the English batsmen in England. Maybe most of the posters in this thread aren't old enough to remember that series twenty years ago, but I recall all the idiocy that went on in that series vividly.

Wasim later admitted to ball tampering.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Quanta posted:

Also, if Murali and Ajmal passed the biomechanics tests, the ICC had little choice but to let them continue to bowl their doosras. They have to base their decisions on the available science rather than "I'm a dickhead from the internet and that guy is a loving CHUCKER" logic.

Their test isnt good enough and doesnt measure them under match conditions so they cheat it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I don't see why it would be difficult to set up a few cameras at pertinent angles at a test match.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Cocksmith posted:

Wasim later admitted to ball tampering.

They were undoubtedly 'ball tampering', but that wasn't the point. As just about every experienced cricketer of the past pointed out, ball tampering had been rife in international cricket and county cricket for over half a century. The Pakistanis were just unfortunate their mastery of reverse swing and inswinging yorkers caused every cameraman to focus on each of them for the entire match.

As soon pictures and a video arose of a player raking their nails down the side of the ball, there was outrage and it was even headline news on the BBC and every newspaper in the country. Cue lots of "you'd never see this kind of thing from are English lads", "cheating is a part of their culture", "they're only beating England because they cheat", and followed up by dozens of veiled racist articles in the English press.

Looking back at that series now, I'm less surprised there was such a furore. That test series began just a few years after the racist riots of the late-80s that were aimed at Asians.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Akram was also a match fixer.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

Their test isnt good enough and doesnt measure them under match conditions so they cheat it.

You should relay your concerns to the University of Western Australia, the institution that tested Murali and Ajmal.

"We use a big enough sports hall so the bowler can make his typical run-up and bowl a full-length delivery. It is important to replicate what it is like in the middle as best we can.
There are stumps to aim at but no batsman and we use synchronised footage of the player bowling in a match to check that they are not just going through the motions or altering their style. They have to replicate the speed of a delivery from a match, the deviation and the revolutions of the ball.

When being tested, the bowler is topless and has reflective markers all over his bowling arm, so the 3D, high-speed cameras can film him from every angle. On TV, what you see is an optical illusion because the pictures are only 2D so the angle you see is often very different from the reality. We then check if the arm is bent more than the permitted 15 degrees, which we decided was appropriate as anything under that would be hard to see with the naked eye."

From Dr Paul Hurrion, the ICC's head biomechanics analyst on why it's scientifically unsound to ban someone on the evidence of 2D pictures.

Followed up by:

"Of course, until technology is good enough to have X-ray cameras from the boundary at a live game we can’t ever be 100 per cent sure that our testing is perfect. I’m sure in 10 years’ time there will be the technology to test as the game is happening."

So, the reality is, until there are expensive X-ray cameras at stadiums, you have to take the word of the scientists and their testing conditions for Murali and Ajmal were robust with current technology.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'm of the school of thought that a doosra probably can't be done without chucking, but it's just marginal enough that it should be allowed. If you can do it well then it only makes the game a better spectacle. Allowing it but viewing it with suspicion so as not to let things get out of control is a good status quo I think.

I don't think it's unfair to say that the subcontinental nations are a bit more tolerant when it comes to those sort of grey areas. That's not automatically a bad thing though - if Murali or Ajmal were English or Australian then they'd have never got out of Second XI cricket. I remember a year or two ago there was a promising young spinner from I think Warwickshire who got called for chucking - iirc he did the tests and passed, but was banned anyway because it was felt that he'd changed his action when performing the tests. He basically got told there was no place for him, and I think he's left the sport now. If he was Asian he'd have been helped and brought through properly, and who knows what might have become of him.

edit: this kid http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/06/maurice-holmes-english-murali-spin

Lionel Richie fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 16, 2013

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Quanta posted:

From Dr Paul Hurrion, the ICC's head biomechanics analyst on why it's scientifically unsound to ban someone on the evidence of 2D pictures.

This is obviously false? As long as the arm isn't being significantly foreshortened 2d images are perfectly sufficient to measure from.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Lionel RichTea posted:

I'm of the school of thought that a doosra probably can't be done without chucking, but it's just marginal enough that it should be allowed.

I agree. The doosra has added an extra dimension to off spin and most off spinners coming out of the subcontinent can bowl it.

English cricket should wise up and we should start teaching our younger bowlers the delivery. There's no reason not to hire Saqlain Mushtaq or Murali as a spin bowling coach.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

This is obviously false? As long as the arm isn't being significantly foreshortened 2d images are perfectly sufficient to measure from.

Rather than getting into discussing focal lengths, barrel distortion, etc. they might as well just fire a LIDAR scanner during the delivery.

Rollie Fingers fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sensor sleeves on all the bowlers to check their arm. Implants in the bottom of their shoes to monitor no-balls. Sensors in every bat to pick up the faintest nick. Computer aligned wickets and pads to determine LBW. Super-slomo cameras for run outs and catches. Shock collars for captains if their over rate drops too low.

• Locked thread