Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
I finally got round to getting Final Fantasy 9 from the PSN while on sale. I've had a look at the Wiki entry for some things to watch out for, but it didn't say anything about potential missables. Is there anything worthwhile I need to find/do before certain points of the story? FF7 had quite a bit of this, including two possible party members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I finally got round to getting Final Fantasy 9 from the PSN while on sale. I've had a look at the Wiki entry for some things to watch out for, but it didn't say anything about potential missables. Is there anything worthwhile I need to find/do before certain points of the story? FF7 had quite a bit of this, including two possible party members.

Steal from the first fight in the game until you get the Mage Masher. Have Zidane equip that right away for an ability that lets you see what an enemy has to steal. Use that on any boss to see what they have that might be worth stealing. Generally it's worth stealing everything from every boss you can and that's the best way to get good stuff. There's lots and I mean LOTs of missable chests and such in this game, but in general getting boss steals is what you want to worry about if you want the good stuff.

Also much like FF8, most of the world closes off during Disc 4, so make sure you do as much as you can on Disc 3 before going to the Shimmering Island.

EDIT: Anyone got anything for Mass Effect 1? The wiki page seems to have a lot conflicting information (Get Rich quick/don't worry about Rich, Get an Assault Rifle ASAP/The pistol is awesome).

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 16, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

EDIT: Anyone got anything for Mass Effect 1? The wiki page seems to have a lot conflicting information (Get Rich quick/don't worry about Rich, Get an Assault Rifle ASAP/The pistol is awesome).

The Spectre weapons you unlock with Rich are outright better than any of the other weapons in the game, so just save up for them and use whatever drops until you can get them.

Biotic is the most overpowered class in ME1, with the right class evolution you can freeze enemies and then shoot them to death.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Do get rich quick.

Apart from that play it however the hell you like. Just make sure you have something approaching balance on the team build screen and everything will be cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You learn skills from weapons. Max each weapon out before you replace it with the next. Also, don't sell your old weapons if you can avoid it - there's a few weapon fusions late in the game that use the early weapons and their either unobtainable at that point, or at least extremely difficult to get ahold of.

Any weapon you don't have a proficiency in should be ignored. You can shoot with them, but only from the hip (and thus utterly inaccurately). There is one exception, however. Late in the game you can get a Geth Assault Rifle. Its accuracy is so high you can fire it without aiming and you'll hit dead-on. If you're playing a class that doesn't have proficiency in Assault Rifles, it's well worth getting.

Oh, and choose Paragon or Renegade, don't strive for a middle ground. Some of the later dialogue options require a high Charm or Intimidation, and the Paragon/Renegade bar buffs on top of them.

edit: Oh and don't forget to download Bring Down the Sky off the Bioware website. It's the sole DLC mission for ME1 and a pretty decent little sidequest.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 16, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Equipment really isn't all that important in ME1.
Sell all the excess loot you find after a mission or two at a vendor and check out the armors they have, buying those occasionally if you find newer, better stuff.
Otherwise just buy the unique upgrades (grenade / medigel capacity) and the licenses for your vendor on the Normandy. Doing this should let you hit the 1,000,000 spacebux threshold that unlocks the Spectre weapons around half way through the game, those are the only weapons really worth shelling out money for.

In general, all weapon classes are decent, although I think pistols with the Marksman skill will eventually get you the highest DPS of any weapon, but you can pretty much use any type of weapon at any point in the game.

With skill points, always spend them into the Charm and Intimidate skills, because these actually unlock unique dialogue options and those are therefore the only skills that can lock yourself out of content if you don't max them. Theoretically you can just stick to one alignment (Paragon or Renegade, and hence Charm or Intimidate) if you want to play a boring character that always picks just one alignment ever to save skill points and guarantee more points in that respective meter (and therefore the ability to get more levels in Charm / Intimidate, and therefore the ability for dialogue options in that alignment).

The game has 4 main storyline missions available at some point (the fourth will unlock once you've done one of the initial three) and you can theoretically do them in any order you like, but for the sake of pacing (and even gameplay purposes), I would recommend doing the mission on Therum first, and the one on Virmire last.

Feel free to skip sidequests if you get annoyed by the repetitive environments and cloned prefab buildings, but some of them are quite fun and have callbacks in the later games. Also, always talk to your squad back on the Normandy after missions. At some point, some squadmembers will offer you to do some sidequests related to their characters, and you should definitely do these. Also do the Geth Incursions questline in the Armstrong Nebula.

A word of warning: There will be a point of no return and you will eventually not be able to get back to a certain hub at some point after you've finished all four main storyline planets, so just to be on the safe side, make sure to complete all the sidequests you definitely want to get done before attending the fourth main storyline planet (which will probably be Virmire).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The best weapons in the game are Spectre grade weapons (or Spectre Weapons +). I think you're expected to get them around halfway through the game without needless grinding, but an early quest introduces an infinite money exploit which you might as well use.

If you save the doctor on the Citadel (where you first meet Garrus) her clinic will buy your stuff at double price, and you can buyback the stuff you sold at another merchant for a regular buyback price. Takes a bit of running back and forth, but generally worth it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 25, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Do get rich quick.

Apart from that play it however the hell you like. Just make sure you have something approaching balance on the team build screen and everything will be cool.

Team balance is meaningless unless you're playing on hard mode.

If you want to explore the planets and run around getting the fallen satellites and search ship wreckage, have someone in the party with decryption maxed as soon as you can. All of the recoverable items have a skill check for the highest decryption level in the party. The party members are Garrus, Kaiden, and Tali, or Shepard if you pick the right class.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Some of the salvage-y type stuff demands Electronics skill instead of Decryption. Tali has both, so I just maxed her bars out and had her tag along as my skeleton key.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

In addition to stealing from bosses, try to do Chocobo Hot and Cold to get the Chocographs or whatever they're called. The game is stupid and some of the Chocographs are utter bullshit (Ocean :argh:), but you get equipment 1-2 dungeons in advance, if they're not already unique.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

GrandpaPants posted:

In addition to stealing from bosses, try to do Chocobo Hot and Cold to get the Chocographs or whatever they're called. The game is stupid and some of the Chocographs are utter bullshit (Ocean :argh:), but you get equipment 1-2 dungeons in advance, if they're not already unique.

And it's how you get pretty much everyone's ultimate weapons. Additionally, there's search points on the world map (cracks in mountain walls and bubbles in the oceans) that contain tons of goodies.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

pentyne posted:

Team balance is meaningless unless you're playing on hard mode.

If you want to explore the planets and run around getting the fallen satellites and search ship wreckage, have someone in the party with decryption maxed as soon as you can. All of the recoverable items have a skill check for the highest decryption level in the party. The party members are Garrus, Kaiden, and Tali, or Shepard if you pick the right class.

I think the only real balance you need is having Decryption and Electronics in your party. Since the Hacking talent is only used on enemies, you'll want Electronics to bypass doors/safes/etc.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

If and only if you're planning on multiple playthroughs to 100% the game or get a "perfect Shepard" for carrying into ME2 or whatever, don't put points into Charm or Intimidate. Earning Paragon/Renegade points will give you up to 4 free points in that category per play-through, which means you have more points to put into whatever skills you want. This is useful for surviving Insanity but it will guarantee the failure of certain persuasion checks in the game.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Fifty Three posted:

If and only if you're planning on multiple playthroughs to 100% the game or get a "perfect Shepard" for carrying into ME2 or whatever, don't put points into Charm or Intimidate. Earning Paragon/Renegade points will give you up to 4 free points in that category per play-through, which means you have more points to put into whatever skills you want. This is useful for surviving Insanity but it will guarantee the failure of certain persuasion checks in the game.

What? :psyduck:

This is the worst advice ever.
Charm / Intimidate are the only skills that can lock you out of actual game content (well, dialogue) of all the skills in the game, if they're not high enough; You'll want to have at least one maxed out as far as possible at any given time, ideally both though because sticking to just one alignment is boring and stupid as hell.

In fact, I'd even say that you should always leave 2 skill points unspent at any given time in case your P/R meters go up between levels and therefore allow you to spend more skill points in Charm / Intimidate.

This is infinitely more useful than those additional 2 seconds of Warp effect or a cooldown bonus of 5% on Sabotage or pretty much any other thing you would spend those skill points for. Playing ME1 on Insanity is an absolute chore and no sane person should do it, so you won't ever need that many skill points in your combat skills anyway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

scamtank posted:

Some of the salvage-y type stuff demands Electronics skill instead of Decryption. Tali has both, so I just maxed her bars out and had her tag along as my skeleton key.

I'm pretty sure that all tech characters have both of those skills, so you're good with either Tali, Garrus, or Kaidan (or shepard if you pick Engineer, Infilitrator, or Sentinel) on the skeleton key front. I always play with one of those people in my party, but I've been thinking about it, and I'm not sure that you miss out on anything but loot if you can't hack/unlock things...so if you don't care about loot, you don't even really need them.

Of course, selling loot makes you Rich faster which is pretty game-breakingly powerful with the Specter weapons, so it's worth doing it for that alone really.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Burning Mustache posted:

This is infinitely more useful than those additional 2 seconds of Warp effect or a cooldown bonus of 5% on Sabotage or pretty much any other thing you would spend those skill points for. Playing ME1 on Insanity is an absolute chore and no sane person should do it, so you won't ever need that many skill points in your combat skills anyway.
This. If you want a "perfect" save to carry over to ME2, all you need is level 60 (requires two playthroughs), having at least 50% in both the Paragon and Renegade bars, and the 'Rich' achievement from having reached 1 million credits in your wallet. Anything more is wasted.

I really cannot imagine the level of obsession you'd need to want to make your first multiple playthroughs awful content-wise, just so you could get a handful of extra skill points only for the sake of having the most possible skill points.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you're researching missables you may hear about a sword called Excalibur II that's the best sword in the game (I forget if that's overall or for one character). Don't try and go for that one your first time through.

It requires you to reach a certain late-game point within 12 hours of playing time. That sounds doable but it means rushing through the game, skipping so many sidequests and generally having to keep so much of an eye on time that you end up missing everything. Plus I'm pretty sure it's actually impossible on everything but the original PSX version since you need to skip cutscenes to save time (see what I mean about missing everything?), which would require you to open/close the lid on the disc drive. Anyway my point is, that one's technically missable but is also very much a second playthrough thing.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Having played AC1 like, five times, it's actually an instant kill on ANYONE. From the first guard you come across to the absolute final boss of the game. Countering with the hidden blade means death.
A possibly easier method is to knock an enemy prone or supine and then immediately switch to the hidden blade, if they're not too far to get to before they rise you should get an Assassinate prompt, that's how I nailed the final boss, but but only in AC1 is the final boss encounter so "freeform combat", all of the Ezio Trilogy games final bosses are basically scripted moments.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Any tips on Dante's Inferno? Like what skill tree I should level up?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anything I should know for 999?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

GrandpaPants posted:

- The ending you receive is entirely based on which doors you enter and whether or not you go along with little plot happenings along the way. You can't actually get the true ending until you see a different ending first, and if you go down the true ending path without getting it, you'll get abruptly cut off with a "To be continued..." I highly recommend looking up the combination for the Coffin/True ending and saving it for last.

- In subsequent playthroughs, you can skip through any text you've seen very quickly, but you still have to do all the puzzle rooms. The answers never change, so unless there's plot to be seen, you can just enter the answer as soon as it will let you and be done.

- Make sure you hit at least every room once to get the full plot and see all the puzzles. It might look like you can't actually get into certain doors, but you're the protagonist, so you can tell everyone to gently caress off and you'll get your way in the end.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's a spoilerless ending guide: http://pastebin.com/xazJRWA4

I'd follow it, if just because getting the coffin end as your first ending is painful (it's identical to the true ending, except it cuts off halfway through in a 'to be continued.')

If you don't want to follow it, I'd say pick whatever choices you want no matter what for your first playthrough and then run through with the guide to get the safe end and then the true end. The game isn't really complete until you've seen both of those.

(Also, don't laugh too hard at the final puzzle, even if it might feel a little silly.)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ChocNitty posted:

Any tips on Dante's Inferno? Like what skill tree I should level up?

If you want the strongest, then Holy for sure.

The Witness
Jul 2, 2012
What should I know in advance before I play The Last Express?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Artix74 posted:

- The ending you receive is entirely based on which doors you enter and whether or not you go along with little plot happenings along the way. You can't actually get the true ending until you see a different ending first, and if you go down the true ending path without getting it, you'll get abruptly cut off with a "To be continued..." I highly recommend looking up the combination for the Coffin/True ending and saving it for last.

- In subsequent playthroughs, you can skip through any text you've seen very quickly, but you still have to do all the puzzle rooms. The answers never change, so unless there's plot to be seen, you can just enter the answer as soon as it will let you and be done.

- Make sure you hit at least every room once to get the full plot and see all the puzzles. It might look like you can't actually get into certain doors, but you're the protagonist, so you can tell everyone to gently caress off and you'll get your way in the end.

To put this into perspective, there are 3 specific story branches that happen throughout the game even though there are 15 different paths to reach them. If you go for the true ending, you'll see two of them. Basically, if you don't know what you're doing you'll waste a ton of time trying to get the one branch that unlocks the true ending and then waste a ton of time actually trying to get the true ending. If you want to see everything in as little time as possible I highly suggest taking these routes: 1st play, door 5, door 3, door 2 (bad end). 2nd play, door 5, door 8, door 6 (safe ending). 3rd play, door 7, door 1, if anyone asks you a question then answer them positively IE listen to people's stories, don't brush them off, etc.

It's a great game and you can skip dialog you've seen after beating it, but it's frustrating having to replay puzzle sequences in their entirety over again when all you want to do is try a different path. This path will show you 90% of the game without repeating any rooms in any successive play. The only thing you'll miss is another bad ending but those are practically the same even though they have different names.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 17, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Witness posted:

I can't think of much. You'll be using the magical Fabergé egg a lot. No drawbacks to using it, it's just a do-over if you gently caress up or if you decide you want to check out a different way something can play out. I believe there are two valid endings as well as quite a few ways to die. Again though, no worries because you can always rewind.

There's a lot of cool details in the game so please take the time to explore. This is the only game I can think of where you can choose to literally sit in the restaurant until you run out of time. You'll hear a grip of different conversations if you do that, and other areas in the game have lots of time-sensitive events as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Witness posted:

It's a game that requires a lot of trial and error to figure out how to continue. You basically move back and forth, sit in on people's conversations, and when you feel like you can't continue any further rewind time and try something else. There are specific steps you have to follow to actually fully complete the game.

The Witness
Jul 2, 2012
Which steps are those?

The Witness
Jul 2, 2012

al-azad posted:

There are specific steps you have to follow to actually fully complete the game.

Could you please give a general idea of these steps without too many spoilers? Due to the non-linear nature, it seems that there are multiple ways of handling any situation but what you're saying is that despite the different solutions they still share common threads in terms of what happens. Anyway, thanks for the tip!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Artix74 posted:

- The ending you receive is entirely based on which doors you enter and whether or not you go along with little plot happenings along the way.

This isn't entirely true. I had to take the same set of doors twice in a row because the first time I cut off a conversation early, so I didn't have the information to start a plot crucial conversation later on. I got the Axe Ending when I should have gotten the True Ending.

So my tip for starting the game is "be agreeable."

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

What? :psyduck:

This is the worst advice ever.
Charm / Intimidate are the only skills that can lock you out of actual game content (well, dialogue) of all the skills in the game, if they're not high enough; You'll want to have at least one maxed out as far as possible at any given time, ideally both though because sticking to just one alignment is boring and stupid as hell.

In fact, I'd even say that you should always leave 2 skill points unspent at any given time in case your P/R meters go up between levels and therefore allow you to spend more skill points in Charm / Intimidate.

v:shobon:v Insanity sucks rear end and that's the best way to be prepared for it. Just saying. I absolutely agree with you on all your points and I guess my advice only really applies to Insanity then. Sorry.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Witness posted:

Could you please give a general idea of these steps without too many spoilers? Due to the non-linear nature, it seems that there are multiple ways of handling any situation but what you're saying is that despite the different solutions they still share common threads in terms of what happens. Anyway, thanks for the tip!

There are three major plot threads that have to be completed to see the real end of the game: getting August Schmidt's gold, following Tatiana and Alexei Dolkinov, and securing the Firebird. Following Schmidt, the Serbians, and Kronos will eventually resolve this thread. The second thread involves following Alexei and Tatiana. Finally you have to find the firebird and keep it from getting stolen.

Schmidt's gold is the first thread and he'll leave on day 2 without it which will eventually lead to an automatic gameover (hint: Kronos has the gold hidden in his chambers). Alexei's story is a bit more subtle but it basically involves eavesdropping on his interactions with Tatiana (hint: you can spy on Alexei by exiting your cabin's window). If you don't complete this you will get an automatic gameover at 10:40pm on day 2. The hardest is getting both pieces of the firebird. The egg itself is easy but you need to get the whistle from the little kid and there's really only one opportunity to do it (hint: the little kid likes bugs). Then you need to hide the firebird for the time being (hint: every cabin will be searched by the villain so you need to hide it where passengers aren't allowed to go). If you don't get the firebird or fail to hide it you can still reach the end of the game but you won't get the true end.

That's the gist of it. Day 2 is the most important day so don't worry about missing stuff day 1. Getting the whistle should be done in the morning. All the other plot threads can be done thereafter so if Schmidt leaves or you lose the firebird then replay from the start of Kronos' concert. Alexei's thread has a very specific and obvious window so you won't have to backtrack very far. Basically, if you have the firebird/whistle and you don't automatically get a gameover after 10:40pm on day 2, you're on the path to the true ending.

e: Don't be discouraged by all the stuff that goes on under the game's hood. The designers purposefully put in events that overlap with each other. Just listen to conversations, act like a huge creepy stalker, and you'll discover enough clues to know what's going on.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 17, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Fifty Three posted:

v:shobon:v Insanity sucks rear end and that's the best way to be prepared for it. Just saying. I absolutely agree with you on all your points and I guess my advice only really applies to Insanity then. Sorry.

Fair enough, yes.
I suppose I just felt it worth to point out that Insanity in ME1 is something for self-loathing masochists and nobody in their right mind should play it, much less in their first playthrough (although technically it's not even possible to do that anyway I think, as the difficulty doesn't unlock until you've beaten the game at least once IIRC), and that at anything below Insanity, combat skill points don't really matter that much anyway.

And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't even mind ME1's combat nearly as much as everybody else :v:

Velho!
Sep 12, 2011
Lots of Mass Effect 1 tips on this page already, but I'll be starting ME 2 soon. Do these tips apply there as well? I played 1 on a friends Xbox 360 a long time ago and have a PS3 now. I won't be buying the Trilogy box just to play 1 again because of the costs and it isn't practical for me to download 1 since my Playstation is the 12 gb model. Checking out the decisions on the previously-on-comic-thing most of the decisions I remember taking on 1 are there. Hopefully that should be enough.

I need some opinions on stuff like: playing male or female Shepard, classes, etc... I played 1 as a male soldier, with Garrus and Wrex on the party till the end. For the sake of variety and the fact that I won't be able to bring my old Shepard, I suppose I would play as a female whatever, but have no clue as to which one would be more interesting/fun.

Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Velho! posted:

Lots of Mass Effect 1 tips on this page already, but I'll be starting ME 2 soon. Do these tips apply there as well? I played 1 on a friends Xbox 360 a long time ago and have a PS3 now. I won't be buying the Trilogy box just to play 1 again because of the costs and it isn't practical for me to download 1 since my Playstation is the 12 gb model. Checking out the decisions on the previously-on-comic-thing most of the decisions I remember taking on 1 are there. Hopefully that should be enough.

I need some opinions on stuff like: playing male or female Shepard, classes, etc... I played 1 as a male soldier, with Garrus and Wrex on the party till the end. For the sake of variety and the fact that I won't be able to bring my old Shepard, I suppose I would play as a female whatever, but have no clue as to which one would be more interesting/fun.

Thanks!

Male and Femshep are exactly the same, you basically have to decide which voice actor you like and who you want to romance.

ME2 is an entirely different beast. It's much more straightforward and everything has been streamlined to a fine point. Don't waste your time scanning planets until you upgrade the scanner so it doesn't take forever (and don't bother scanning planets unless they're rich or you'll waste your time). Finish everything before doing the Reaper IFF mission which triggers the end game. You have exactly one mission you can do after that and you're probably going to want to do the new character's sidequest when you activate him.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Mass Effect 2:

All of the classes are good and fun, but Soldier is the only one that can use all weapon types. With the caster classes (Adept, Engineer, Sentinel) you're stuck with pistols and SMGs until ~half way through the game, at which point you can choose one additional weapon specialization (shotguns, ARs or sniper rifles). Vanguards get to use shotguns and SMGs IIRC (or heavy pistols, not sure).

Vanguard in particular is a very fun high risk / high reward class, but it has a bit of a learning curve to it and you may need to spend the first third or so of the game in cover a lot until you can level up your skills properly.

Soldier is probably the most straightforward class to start out, but really, all of them are good and fun. If you liked casters in ME1, feel free to go for Adept or Engineer.

Don't spend more than ~5 probes at best for a planet, and even that only when they're "Rich", and don't bother with mining Poor / Moderate planets at all. You'll get more than enough resources if you just mine every Rich / Good planet down to Moderate / Poor, and this shouldn't be too much of a waste of time.

DLC-wise, you'll want to get Lair of the Shadow Broker, Overlord, Kasumi and Arrival, probably in that order of importance. LotSB is one of the high points of the series and will get you most bang for your buck. It's a couple of hours of gameplay and you get the ability for additional in-game resources and to re-spec squadmate powers along with it. Overlord is just a self-contained side-story, but also with a couple of hours of solid gameplay, a pretty cool story and nice art assets.
Kasumi will give you another (incredibly useful) squadmate and one loyalty mission for that character. If you buy the DLC, make sure to recruit her at the Citadel ASAP as it's basically a free squadmate right from the beginning. Arrival bridges ME2 and ME3 and should not be done before you've finished ME2's main storyline quests. Once you've beaten the main storyline in ME2, you can continue playing and doing sidequests and DLC, this is when you'll want to do Arrival, and not a second before.

Party synergy is a tad more important in ME2 than it was in ME1.
If you don't know what you're up against, it's always useful to have a combination of powers that go well against all kinds of defenses (shields, armor, barriers) between your 2 squadmates and Shepard. Overload is good against shields, Concussive Shot is good against barriers and health, Warp is good against armor and barriers, etc.
You don't want to end up fighting against enemies with lots of armor if all you have is Overload and stuff like that.

If you absolutely don't want to miss out on P/R dialogue options, make sure to beeline for the level 4 evolution of your class passive skill that gives a 100% P/R meter
bonus.

With the heavy weapons, don't bother with anything except the default Grenade Launcher, the Collector Particle Beam, the Cain or the Arc Projector (which you may not even have depending on DLC / pre-order / edition situation). Of the vanilla weapons, the Particle Beam is probably the best allrounder, though the Cain is an absolutely massive boss killer, but you won't get to use it more than once per mission due to its ammo consumption. Until you have either, stick with the default Grenade Launcher.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 18, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Speaking of Mount and Blade: Warband, any tips for taking over the world as factionless? I've done factions, but now I'd like to be Emperor. Can you get lords to join you? It'd be nice to have distractionsstaunch allies.

Regarding Huscarls, how do they do against Khergits? I've always gone with Swadian Knights, as they seem to handle anything, even sieges, but I figured the Nords could handle anything except open terrain battle against the Khergits, so I never took them.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Burning Mustache posted:

Mass Effect 2:

Don't spend more than ~5 probes at best for a planet, and even that only when they're "Rich", and don't bother with mining Poor / Moderate planets at all. You'll get more than enough resources if you just mine every Rich / Good planet down to Moderate / Poor, and this shouldn't be too much of a waste of time.

If you absolutely don't want to miss out on P/R dialogue options, make sure to beeline for the level 4 evolution of your class passive skill that gives a 100% P/R meter
bonus.

Your advice is good, I would just mention on these two points that resource collection is very boring and no one will judge you for downloading a save game editor and giving yourself basically infinite resources. Same goes for the flawed P/R system - a save game editor can give you enough points of both that all dialogue options can be open to you all game without having to sweat it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

Mass Effect 2:

Party synergy is a tad more important in ME2 than it was in ME1.
If you don't know what you're up against, it's always useful to have a combination of powers that go well against all kinds of defenses (shields, armor, barriers) between your 2 squadmates and Shepard. Overload is good against shields, Concussive Shot is good against barriers and health, Warp is good against armor and barriers, etc.
You don't want to end up fighting against enemies with lots of armor if all you have is Overload and stuff like that.

Garrus & Mordin is a pretty solid all-around choice. Garrus offers you Overload (shields) and concussive shot (barriers) while Mordin gives you Incinerate (armor), letting you handle pretty much anything you come across. Plus you get them early and they're cool dudes to have around in general for dialogue purposes.

But if you're like me and never play above normal difficulty, party choice isn't that important. The game never really throws anything insurmountable at you at that difficulty, you can pretty much bring along whoever sounds like they would be cool to have at that moment. ME2 has lots of characters, so it's fun to switch it up.

If you do play higher difficulties though, note that lots and lots of enemies will start to have armor/shields etc that didn't on normal, so having abilities to get around that becomes a lot more important. I'm told. I never had much fun on higher difficulties so never stuck with it for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm about to dive in Heroes Of Might And Magic 3 playing Restoration of Erathia first and the expansion packs if I'm still interrested.

Any advice that isn't in the wiki? I've played King's Bounty and did the tutorial but except that this is my first experiece with HoMM.