Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Hockles posted:

Back when the Vapors were in the 2s and 3s, I bought a pair of inlines off some website that had a yahoo shopping thing. They were just like that, ice hockey boots with an inline chasis in place of the runners. It wasn't even a hi-lo chasis, it was like Tour or something. So, I bitched enough and got my money back.

These days aren't all inline skates just ice boots with roller chassis on them? My last two pairs of skates(Bauer customer 8.0's from back in the 90's and Reebok 5k's) have been just that. I bought 5k ice skates because they were almost identical to the inline version. The only difference was the inline 5k wasn't high end enough to get the pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

cenzo posted:

How do you like the Revision wheels? I'm getting kind of sick of spending a million dollars on Rink Rat Splits.

I will forever swear by Labeda Millenium Grippers. Best wheels when I started playing roller, best wheels now.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

D C posted:

I will forever swear by Labeda Millenium Grippers. Best wheels when I started playing roller, best wheels now.

I've had no luck with the milleniums due to flex and glazing on my front two wheels. As for the Revision wheels they are fantastic and perform kinda like addiction wheels but cheaper. They grip like a 76 and roll fast like a outdoor wheel.

I use them on wood, tile, and painted concrete

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

tehk posted:

I've had no luck with the milleniums due to flex and glazing on my front two wheels. As for the Revision wheels they are fantastic and perform kinda like addiction wheels but cheaper. They grip like a 76 and roll fast like a outdoor wheel.

I use them on wood, tile, and painted concrete

Surprising, I'm a big guy, and tend to rip up most other wheels pretty fast, but I've been on the same set of M Grippers for going on 3 seasons now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Also how winded is HZ right now

Actually not bad! Although we don't have our first game til tomorrow. We spent the day drinking free PBR, hanging out with the rink crew and spending a bunch of money on tournament swag. I've been posting pics on Facebook if anyone cares:
https://www.facebook.com/rcrum

Also, 19 o'clock is really tall. And has played in the KHL.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, 19 o'clock is really tall. And has played in the KHL.

Ha! I'll be the worst out there by far. I'm glad my hockey-accent has inspired mystery as to my origins. The team is a laugh riot so far, really psyched about tomorrow's games!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

cenzo posted:

How do you like the Revision wheels? I'm getting kind of sick of spending a million dollars on Rink Rat Splits.

I switched to Revisions a few years ago and haven't looked back. I tried pretty much every major name, and none of them gave me as great a mix of speed and grip, not to mention durability. But that's just my experience.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

D C posted:

I use regular Grippers. I play on Sport Court, and for the first month I can stop like ice hockey, then all the dust gets on them and they get worn down. But I have used them for years because I like the extra-soft wheels. How are the Millenium different?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

-40 goal differential after 2 games. Ain't no thang. We got this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clearly you're not drinking enough beer.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I'm never drinking beer again after this. I've already lost my voice and the tournament just began.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ours was like -90 after 4 games so you guys need to step it up if you want to become anti-champs.

Also drink more.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

19 o'clock posted:

I'm never drinking beer again after this. I've already lost my voice and the tournament just began.

If you think you've drank too much beer, you havent had enough beer.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

D C posted:

If you think you've drank too much beer, you havent had enough beer.

The championship is knocking on the door guys, are you man enough to open it

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
I think I have a deep desire for these new Makos. I wish Easton would throw an event in LA like Bauer does so I can try them out.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

That's it?

19 o'clock posted:

That sounds like a quitter. Are you a quitter?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is pretty funny how all pond hockey tournaments are pretty much the same thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why mess with a formula if it works?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

So how far have you ever traveled for a weekend tournament? Someone I play with is at a tournament this weekend in ICELAND.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Bradf0rd posted:

That sounds like a quitter. Are you a quitter?

I think I may be. I feel like a box full of farts. Ughhhhhhh...

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Drink it off

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Congrats!

Shockingly no one got sick on our trip. How is someone losing their voice already??

And how is the ice?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

sellouts posted:

Congrats!

Shockingly no one got sick on our trip. How is someone losing their voice already??

And how is the ice?

I went to a concert Thursday night and then the tournament the next day. Hard boozing and yelling basically nonstop for 2.5 days.

The ice is uniformly sketchy in all the sheets they have setup. Giant cracks running all over the place. Cracks big enough for the butt-end of a stick to fit in. Not the end of the world, but suddenly you'll find yourself falling over because of it. We're all on the same ice, so no biggy, but something to contend with for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seal up the cracks with beer. :colbert:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

And how is the ice?

I'm afraid to skate backwards. Thankfully, cherry picking at the goal does not require this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm afraid to skate backwards. Thankfully, cherry picking at the goal does not require this.

Yeah it's pretty awesome.

Cherry picking at the goal? Do you mean cherry picking at center ice to fire a puck at the net the second you cross center line and it's a legal shot?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Hockles posted:

I use regular Grippers. I play on Sport Court, and for the first month I can stop like ice hockey, then all the dust gets on them and they get worn down. But I have used them for years because I like the extra-soft wheels. How are the Millenium different?

They also seem to deteriorate as soon as they dust. Speaking of dusty worn millenniums, I finished these White Ks today for outdoors using a Hi Lo chassis instead of the Humer frame most Reebok options come with.

Does anyone really prefer the flat 80mm Humer setup or is the patent situation the only reason anyone is using them? I just can't seem dig in when starting with the flat frames.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Had my first 3 point game ever, two goals and an assist, and my team still lost. My team still hasn't won a single game I've scored in. :negative:

It's the playoffs, but it's a best of 3 series, so we're do or die next game. Clearly the only solution is to score 3 next game.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I've come to the conclusion that the league is punishing our team for some reason.

Feels like every one of our games is during a Canucks game, it cant be an accident.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Got to go watch the Minnesota vs Wisconsin game at soldier field today. Luckily it was in a private box too so I didnt freeze my rear end off. The ice looked terrible since college level players eere falling all over the place. Still a good afternoon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was there too, but we were only there for the first game. Stayed for the first period of the Badgers/Gophers game. It wasn't that cold as long as the sun was out. Soon as it went behind the stadium though, wife wanted to leave.

Was fun, but didn't really feel like a hockey game because we were so far out. It made it hard to really watch the plays.

I would have loved to skate on it.. bad ice or not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, that was one hell of a weekend. We all fly out of Colorado tomorrow morning unless we get buried in snow.

We went from losing by 25 in game 1 (to the eventual champions) to only losing by 3 in game 4 after we figured out how to play pond hockey. We had the lead for a while too.

Anyway, I'll post a couple pics when I get home. What a loving blast.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
From the scheduling page of one of the leagues I am playing in;

"Note: Thursday 2/14 skate has been cancelled due to Valentines Day, don't ask"

schzim
May 24, 2006
tl;dr
Scored my first wrap around goal of the season last night whoo. Played center instead of D. I've got to say being a center is the most fun position to play when your team is moving the puck decently in the offensive zone.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
My legs actually are sore pretty much after every game now. I take this as a sign that I'm getting a deeper knee bend and not skating stiff bent at the waist.

Also finally had a great game where I was involved in a lot of plays and poo poo. No goals or anything, but I was +2 and making poo poo happen.

:smug:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pleads posted:

Drink it off

goin out to dinner with your girlfriend tonight in SF

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Fun story from last night's game.

Starts with me forcing a pass on the forecheck, as I got back to the defensive zone, one of the opposing D were on the point, and failed to keep the puck inside the zone. I am barreling down full throttle, and poke the puck away (or so I thought), just as I slam into the dude going full force. In my defense, he moved just into my way at the last moment, so it's not like I was going into it blind.

Anyway, I don't know if he fell, but I definitely did. A moment or so later I felt a distinct thunk against my mask and as I'm getting up he gives me this kinda upward nod like "yeah, that's right". I remember thinking to myself "did I just get hit in the face?" but didn't think long because my team had the puck back and OMG BACK ON OFFENSE.

After the game, with beers. The opposing teams' capt., who's cool as poo poo was talking about some of his players that he hates. At one point he brought up how one of his players was warned by the ref to knock poo poo off because "he intentionally smacked one of our guys with a puck". My other teammates also confirmed that he deliberately sat there with the puck for a second and intentionally shot it at my face when I was on the ice.

The other capt says he started to give the guy poo poo for it but the guy acted like he didn't mean to (as he did to the ref as well). Everyone is in agreement that it was intentional though.

Oh and some other dude on that team got a double minor. The first was for tripping (which was borderline), but he decided to start squawking at the ref "HE TRIPPED HIMSELF FUCKKKK" etc. So he got an extra 2 minutes misconduct. When he finally got out he decided to hook me when I was at the top of the crease. I chicken winged his stick, which threw him into a rage. I could hear him screaming LET GO OF MY loving STICK RARGHAGRHAGHGR. When he finally got it free, he attempted to shove me into the goal (and failed). That guy later in the 3rd got a cross-checking penalty (which would have been a major if it weren't D3, it was beyond intentional). After he served those two minutes, he left the game (about 10 minutes) early. The other team tells us he literally said "gently caress this poo poo, I'm done" and left.

Both these guys are well known in the league to be fairly dirty players. The guy who hit me in the head with the puck apparently got himself ejected from last years' tournament for having too many PIM.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 18, 2013

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Topoisomerase posted:

goin out to dinner with your girlfriend tonight in SF

I don't know what kind of food SF is famous for so I hope you go to a classy Rice-A-Roni place!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just got a SynVisc injection in my left knee. When they tell you about the "tiny pinch" you're about to feel, they're loving lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

I don't know what kind of food SF is famous for so I hope you go to a classy Rice-A-Roni place!

Harris' Steak House and Benihana. :colbert:

Or if you're down by San Jose, St. John's Bar.