Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I always hoped we'd see some kakashi sword fight filler. Glad this is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hindsight
Jan 7, 2011

One Legged Ninja posted:

I'm still watching week to week also, and I think it's easier this way, because I only have to sit through a half hour of boring filler, instead of twenty episodes of boring filler in a row. :unsmigghh:

I think it's kind of like being the victim in an abusive relationship. You stay because you're sure that one day, everything will be just like the good old days. In reality it's just pushing you deeper and deeper into insanity, and one day you'll finally reach your breaking point, flip out, and stab it 68 times with a rusty carving knife.
Naruto the anime is terrible in every aspect at this point. The 'plot' is a train wreck that although containing decent potential elements to weave together something great it is instead squandered on complete and total poo poo story telling and direction. The characters while initially interesting (hello, 2003!) have become null and void, slamming the brakes on the 'blistering' pace of story progression.

Also, gotta have those endless re-caps and flashbacks or else the fans with a goldfish like memory span will surely become overwhelmed. We need to see the same worn out and tired action sequences labor across the frame and God forbid if the series fits on less than several dozen low content over priced DVDs for maximum profit exploitation of the loving time slot; better not to lose that crucial all important time slot even if you gotta nail the franchise to a cross of abominable mediocrity and repetition. :rolleyes:

JazzFlight posted:

I feel like it's just meandering and boring now. There are still fights, but they're essentially meaningless, since the author seemed to just pull a "back-from-the-dead" card with a lot of the villains.

Nothing has hit the same heights of the Pain arc since then. They should have just ended the whole story right there, forget Madara ever existed, and tie up Sasuke right before the final fight and make Naruto the Hokage for saving the world from Pain. THE END.

Ugh, but no, this whole Ninja War thing started, shown sparsely from week to week intermittently with filler episodes. It's horrible. Even the preview for next week seems (?) to be yet another Sasuke-Naruto "remembering the good times" filler flashback episode.
Exactly, the creator and producers have shown themselves to be exhausted on genuine passion and talent to keep this going a long time ago in the name of making a shitzillion dollars by exploiting the semi-retarded fan base endlessly cheer leading and consuming what is now just a God awful franchise. The ratio of legitimately entertaining moments to crap has consistently been in peril since the Chunnin exam but now we're approaching a limit of awfulness punctuated by recap, terrible predictability (goodbye suspense!), and best of all, loving filler that's no longer even buying the creator time to come up with half decent canon.

This poo poo spectacle needed to end several seasons/years ago.

Captain Hindsight fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 15, 2012

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Anyone else see 290? Is this the start of another loving filler arc or something? The kakashi vs mist swordsmen filler was sort of bearable to watch but now suddenly its complete filler.

Also, what the hell was going on in the 2nd half of the episode? Why did we need to see the story of those kids instead of going on with the filler fights?

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D
Is it me or the animation quality of the last episode was kinda awesome, obviously skipping frames but it felt better than some of the canon episodes.

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D

Captain_duck posted:

Anyone else see 290? Is this the start of another loving filler arc or something? The kakashi vs mist swordsmen filler was sort of bearable to watch but now suddenly its complete filler.

Also, what the hell was going on in the 2nd half of the episode? Why did we need to see the story of those kids instead of going on with the filler fights?

Yeah, they are intrducing these characters for the ''new'' fillier arc. This anime is in a poor state since years now, either a problem of horrible pacing or months of fillers.

I still firmly believe that all of the budget went on animating the 10vs 100 puppets episode.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
What did they do to Kabuto's hair :catstare:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I didn't even think that was kabuto while I skimmed the episode. With this being such a drastic shift, I almost thought it was for a movie or something, but I think the new movie already came out?

While the animation is really nice during the fights, the fact they have given these episodes their own numbering order is slightly worrying.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The "official" reason for this filler arc was to celebrate the original Naruto anime and Shippuuden reaching 500 episodes. In some places, Studio Pierrot has Shippuuden carrying on the original numbering from the first series. Though they're past 500 episodes now, 220 + 290 = 510.

The real reason for the arc, was simply to allow the manga to keep getting further ahead, as it's hard to insert filler into the series when it's in the middle of a huge arc. Better to throw it in now when they can have an excuse.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
I actually liked this filler episode, because it went back to some of the basics that the series proper has long ago thrown away and pissed all over.

Here you have people. Not a myriad of interchangeable ninja peons locked in a grand battle of pure good vs. pure evil each of whom has absolutely no significant motivation or point of human interest apart from their allegiance in this battle and copy-pasted "Argh I will protect my friends". Not a bunch of magic soldiers progressing- completely unharmed - free of worry, trauma or hysteria - through a gigantic bloody conflict, waiting for the moment the magic gong is sounded and they are done defeating the Bad Guy whose cunning plan was "throw a poo poo-ton of zombies at everyone else until I win".

We've had fillers before, but they obviously tried to emulate the tone of the original and fell flat in the process. Here we apparently have another team on it and they seem to have done this strange thing where they tell a story about people, and you're supposed to care about them first and the grand ideals they represent, if any, come later. And war is poo poo-scary to them, and they feel helpless, and you genuinely don't know whether any one of them will survive the next scene, but they give it their best. And there is actually some mythology and mystery, no matter how bland, that has some bearing on the plot and we haven't known the answer to for ages.

Does this make it a good arc or some grand work of art? No. What it does do is highlight the ridiculous shortcomings of the main storyline. These things - relatable characters who move the plot instead of the plot moving them, genuine conflict that goes beyond "This world is worth nothing!" "Argh you're wrong!", villains that are scary because there is really no telling what they will pull off next - as I said, those are the basics in this kind of story, and they're probably the reason that long ago this show acquired the fan base that it has (as someone noted above: Hello, 2003).

And now we have none of those basics left, and for a short while I was stricken with how, with one episode, you can set up something more touching and more suspenseful than the series proper has been in god knows how long. It's really sad more than anything else, and I find myself seriously compelled to just put this series aside and go read a book.

But, ah, we seem to be nearing the end at any rate, so I might as well see this decade-long adventure through. Also, I hear Bleach is worse.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Triple Elation posted:

Also, I hear Bleach is worse.

It was but they put that anime out of its misery

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

And replaced it with a Naruto spin-off :allears: that's actually pretty funny; not some great work of art, but decent entertainment. The One Piece anime has been getting better too now that we're out of the bulk of Fishman Island, but that's a lot to catch up on if you don't follow the manga or haven't been watching.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have to say this filler ark is much better written and animated than most. Although the little kid is really loving annoying.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

:3:

I'm wondering how/if this spinoff is going to bring the rest of the Akatsuki in; they've had Deidara and Tobi show up once.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Pyrotoad posted:

:3:

I'm wondering how/if this spinoff is going to bring the rest of the Akatsuki in; they've had Deidara and Tobi show up once.

The way they handled it in the manga was pretty perfect.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been practicing Japanese by, among other things, watching anime with subtitles, pausing every ten minutes, heading back an equal length of time, and then watching the same ten minutes with the subtitles off or covered. Since repetition actually helps in this case, I've been watching old episodes of the Naruto anime.

But I've only been watching stuff I either knew wasn't completely awful,* or stuff I figured had the chance to meet the same criteria. One of those episodes was the Kakashi's Gaiden arc. I watched it because Kishimoto wrote six chapters for Kakashi's Gaiden, and the anime condensed them into two episodes.

It's hands down the best Naruto episode I've ever seen. Stuff actually happens, the animation is fast and fluid, and while it's infuriating that Shounen Jump's going to make millions of dollars remaking pre-timeskip Naruto into a 40 episode anime, it actually made me interested to see if there's anything else comparable in the Naruto anime.

About the only other thing I heard was that the alternate-universe movie was also pretty good. Does anyone else know of anything Naruto-anime related that has merit beyond providing nerdy Japanese men a timeslot and dumpsters full of money?

*Pre-100 episode filler arc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really liked the previous movie, Blood Prison. It puts Naruto in a situation where he can't just brute force his way out of a situation, so it's more like how it was in, say, the Chuunin Exam era.

Granted it's less true at the end, but mostly because it falls victim to the usual Shounen Jump movie formula. At least this one doesn't introduce an annoying kid with a ~tragic backstory~.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Resurrecting this thread to mention that the filler arc is over, and that this week's episode was actually pretty awesome. Naruto does some kick rear end things with his Kyuubi-cloak powers. I'd say it's worth checking out, even if you read the manga like me, 'cause I completely forgot some of the poo poo he did in this episode.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Is the pacing still horrendously poo poo?

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

Is the pacing still horrendously poo poo?

Does the sun rise in the east?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if ADTRW's apparent abandonment (for valid reasons) of this show has any correlation to Japanese audiences.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I still watch it. :(

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SpartanIV posted:

I still watch it. :(
Yeah, I still watch it, too. We've... got some kind of battered viewer syndrome going on here, I think. I just take my abuse and try to remember the good ol' days.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The last episode I watched was the one where they were fighting on the beach against those two brothers who had gained power after being swallowed by the 9-tails. I think the last part I actually really got into was Sasuke vs Danzo and Kakashi on the bridge. I wasn't really finding the Ninja War to be all that interesting. Kabuto seems ridiculously overpowered now that he can Edo Tensei nearly every great ninja that ever lived as long as he has their body. It just got to the point where I couldn't tell what was filler and what was canon so I figured I'd wait for some episodes to pile up and then go back and marathon them once I sorted out what was worth watching.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Kabuto seems ridiculously overpowered now that he can Edo Tensei nearly every great ninja that ever lived as long as he has their body.

It's overpowered compared to other individual ninjas, but he's essentially fighting the whole world.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, it doesn't really bother me that much or anything, it was just something I noticed that seemed a little over the top. And I understand they pretty much had to do something like that in order to give the combined Ninja army something to fight against beyond just clones of Zetsu.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I think it's pretty cheap just bringing back dead characters and making too many battles happen at once so it takes forever for the plot to move forward. I mean, I think over the course of the last half-year, about 1 day has gone by in the Ninja War.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Did all those fights/dead characters happen/come back during the Ninja War in the manga? I could never really tell while I was watching it and I'm not a manga reader.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This war also has the biggest problem with "if you don't have a name you're going to die" thing happening as well. It's hard to get excited about this battle when you know all the main characters are safe because there's countless nameless fodder there. EDIT: Oh yeah, and that the only village getting done is the Leaf village.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

-Blackadder- posted:

Did all those fights/dead characters happen/come back during the Ninja War in the manga? I could never really tell while I was watching it and I'm not a manga reader.

Everything in the Ninja War arc has been canon material except for the couple obvious do-nothing episodes where team 8 got stuck into a cave or something stupid like that. Some of them were expanded in the anime though (the 7 swordsmen were mostly sealed off panel in the manga)

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

Aristotle posted:

Of all plots and actions the episodic are the worst. I call a plot 'episodic' in which the episodes or acts succeed one another without probable or necessary sequence. Bad poets compose such pieces by their own fault, good poets, to please the players; for, as they write show pieces for competition, they stretch the plot beyond its capacity, and are often forced to break the natural continuity.

Stupid war arc. I hope we get back to something carrying the semblance of a plot soon.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Triple Elation posted:

Stupid war arc. I hope we get back to something carrying the semblance of a plot soon.
Who would have thought that a storyline arc with the description "NINJA WAR" could be so insufferably boring.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And who would have thought that now I'm halfway through this Powers filler that features primarily children and I already think it's better than the ninja war.

EDIT: Oh man, Lee and Guy just showed up so this episode is already 200% better.

IUG fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 17, 2013

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

And who would have thought that now I'm halfway through this Powers filler that features primarily children and I already think it's better than the ninja war.

Well, I would have thought it, I wrote the exact same thing a few posts ago.

Stupid war arc. Well, if that helps, I read the manga and consensus seems to be that things get better after all the million random battles are over with. (Hopefully this doesn't count as a spoiler. I'm just trying to give people here hope in a bleak situation...)

Triple Elation fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 17, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You knew that I would like it? That's awfully specific.

But seriously, the only flaws with it were the kids were too drat cute (not in the good way). But holy poo poo the slap thing, and I thought people were straight up dying from the not-Naruto. But also the animation started out really strong in the first couple of episodes. I wonder if this was a movie (no kidding) that just they didn't have the budget for the whole way through, so they just cut it back after a little bit of production had started. Also I have to look up who that mayor was, because he seemed to know Naruto before that series.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess he was referring to Pain?

IUG fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 17, 2013

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What episode number is this /\ ?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It was the last or second to last episode of that arc. He said that he took away his power, but a wiki says that was Pain who did it.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
I just marathoned this show starting from the end of that Pain Arc and despite that clam/no eyebrow guy and Itachi shenanigans this war has been supremely uninteresting. Anyway, a question for manga readers, has it been revealed what was in that mysterious coffin yet?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ArcaneTree posted:

I just marathoned this show starting from the end of that Pain Arc and despite that clam/no eyebrow guy and Itachi shenanigans this war has been supremely uninteresting. Anyway, a question for manga readers, has it been revealed what was in that mysterious coffin yet?

Yes, it has.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Yes, it has.

Is it as obvious as the foreshadowing makes it seem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zyla posted:

Is it as obvious as the foreshadowing makes it seem?

I'm not sure who you think it is.

• Locked thread