Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Barry Convex posted:

Saucer Country ends with #14, as per DC's April solicitations. Given sales, this was pretty much inevitable (especially after Cornell stopped doing work-for-hire at DC), but it's still disappointing.

And Vertigo continues to go out in a series of whimpers, punctuated only by the bang of Berger leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

So what do they have left after that? Fables, Fairest and Unwritten? Some licensed books? Anything else? I know American Vampire is still technically still around but it's on hiatus.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

RevKrule posted:

So what do they have left after that? Fables, Fairest and Unwritten? Some licensed books? Anything else? I know American Vampire is still technically still around but it's on hiatus.

Isn't Sandman supposed to be returning? I dunno how long that would last given Gaiman's schedule and own endeavors, but that's something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GrandpaPants posted:

Isn't Sandman supposed to be returning? I dunno how long that would last given Gaiman's schedule and own endeavors, but that's something.

It's like a 6 issue mini or something, not a new ongoing.

Vertigo will continue to exist but without Berger the line will never be what it was.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That really bums me out about Saucer Country. One of the most enjoyable new comics of 2012 IMO, right alongside Saga for me.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

It's like a 6 issue mini or something, not a new ongoing.

Vertigo will continue to exist but without Berger the line will never be what it was.

I really do think it'll just become DC's Icon

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
Except I don't see many creators left at the company that would risk an original property with Vertigo as it now stands. I guess it will be DC's Icon, since even Marvel's most loyal freelancers are taking their original work to Image.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
And I don't see anything for celebrating 20 years in comics. I mean, Image went all-out last year with so many original series. Vertigo isn't doing anything like that because Didio and the rest of the idiots at DC are micromaniging so much that they're afraid the moment they launch an imprint-wide launch of brand new series, they'll be either absorbed wholesale or cut out within the first five issues without a second thought. This is downright depressing. The house that Sandman built is now a slush pile for DC :smith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Benny the Snake posted:

And I don't see anything for celebrating 20 years in comics. I mean, Image went all-out last year with so many original series. Vertigo isn't doing anything like that because Didio and the rest of the idiots at DC are micromaniging so much that they're afraid the moment they launch an imprint-wide launch of brand new series, they'll be either absorbed wholesale or cut out within the first five issues without a second thought. This is downright depressing. The house that Sandman built is now a slush pile for DC :smith:

They are releasing a new Sandman miniseries! I can not believe that the longest running title in Vertigo right now is fucken Fables. A title that ran out of steam close to 100 issues ago. The only downside of it ending is that means Bill Willingham might write other books.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bobkatt013 posted:

They are releasing a new Sandman miniseries! I can not believe that the longest running title in Vertigo right now is fucken Fables. A title that ran out of steam close to 100 issues ago. The only downside of it ending is that means Bill Willingham might write other books.

Does Fables have a reason again? The closest thing to a story that happened since the war ended was Mr Dark and Frau Totendecker fighting and even that felt like a b plot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Len posted:

Does Fables have a reason again? The closest thing to a story that happened since the war ended was Mr Dark and Frau Totendecker fighting and even that felt like a b plot.

I really do not think so. I tried reading it again a while ago and just saw no point.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

right now the cubs are training to replace mr.north because he kamikazed mr.dark

7billionanddying
Oct 30, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

Saucer Country ends with #14, as per DC's April solicitations. Given sales, this was pretty much inevitable (especially after Cornell stopped doing work-for-hire at DC), but it's still disappointing.

Goddammit. I've been waiting for this to happen. Saucer Country is by far my favorite ongoing comic right now. What a loving bummer. It and The Manhattan Projects are pretty much the only things I've even been bothering to read day 1 out of my pull box lately and I'd take Saucer Country over MP all day.

Really really hope he can continue it somehow, somewhere. Even if it takes a while to come back.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I've just bought a humongous hardcover Vertigo The Invisibles edition. The thing's sized like a big-rear end bible containing all of the trades, it's absurd. I just had to have it!

Now to start actually reading the thing, I've yet to read anything Invisibles related.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nosophoros posted:

I've just bought a humongous hardcover Vertigo The Invisibles edition. The thing's sized like a big-rear end bible containing all of the trades, it's absurd. I just had to have it!

Now to start actually reading the thing, I've yet to read anything Invisibles related.

Good luck with that. The bloody thing can take your hand off at the wrist.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I don't think I have any other reaction other than "What???" and possibly "This sounds like a terrible idea."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43469

There's going to be a Fables/Unwritten crossover....

I'm kind of glad Karen Berger was let go so she didn't have to try and defend this.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I just came to say that while I trade wait and it'll take a while to annoy me, I would have liked to have kept Fables (of all books) out of my Unwritten.

(I guess having Bigby written by Mike Carey will at least mean that he'll be super awesome for a bit.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I just came to say that while I trade wait and it'll take a while to annoy me, I would have liked to have kept Fables (of all books) out of my Unwritten.

(I guess having Bigby written by Mike Carey will at least mean that he'll be super awesome for a bit.)

Given that the characters in Fables are all fictional, fitting them into The Unwritten shouldn't be a problem. Carey can feed them all to Mister Bun.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

Jedit posted:

Given that the characters in Fables are all fictional, fitting them into The Unwritten shouldn't be a problem. Carey can feed them all to Mister Bun.

Yeah but if they were going to go the "take a group of characters from Vertigo" route I would have rather seen Tim or John or literally anyone that wasn't tired old big bad wolf. But still, if there's any writer in the world I can put my trust in, it's Carey.

(Just imagine Tim Hunter and Tom Taylor having a glasses stare off, though.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Yeah but if they were going to go the "take a group of characters from Vertigo" route I would have rather seen Tim or John or literally anyone that wasn't tired old big bad wolf. But still, if there's any writer in the world I can put my trust in, it's Carey.

The Unwritten is all about repurposing classic characters, though. The Fables cast fit in a way that other Vertigo characters wouldn't.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I hadn't actually thought about that bit yet. Mostly because I haven't looked at the cast as their archetypes in a long time. That'll actually be a pretty interesting notion to play with again.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
After re-reading Fables again for the first time in a while, I'm amazed at how much Willingham's conservative values flew right over my head. Particularly with Snow's blunt statements about mundy's relying on their government for help and when Dr. Swine brings up abortion for her cubs and how she isn't going to reject her responsibility. The sad thing for me is realizing how ignorant of that subtext at the time given how completely unsubtle it is. It's not the same level as the Israel Analogy but pretty loving close.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DangerKat posted:

After re-reading Fables again for the first time in a while, I'm amazed at how much Willingham's conservative values flew right over my head. Particularly with Snow's blunt statements about mundy's relying on their government for help and when Dr. Swine brings up abortion for her cubs and how she isn't going to reject her responsibility. The sad thing for me is realizing how ignorant of that subtext at the time given how completely unsubtle it is. It's not the same level as the Israel Analogy but pretty loving close.

What got me was when the witch hints that she supports abortion since it allows for her to gain power since its killing babies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm kind of excited for the Fables Telltale game. I gave up on the walking dead around the mid-80's just because it got really dry and boring and their game actually was really loving good. Maybe they can do the same for Fables.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DangerKat posted:

I'm not going to defend Willingham's views, but I don't think this is a jarring issue in Fables. The fables themselves are repeatedly shown to be completely loving depraved and immoral by any human standards. They aren't human, they don't think like humans and they also don't give a flying gently caress about humans. Maybe that sounds like an excuse, I don't know, but it rarely comes off as gross to me, because these aren't good people and we aren't necessarily supposed to sympathize with them (other than maybe Flycatcher).

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 13, 2013

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Len posted:

I'm kind of excited for the Fables Telltale game. I gave up on the walking dead around the mid-80's just because it got really dry and boring and their game actually was really loving good. Maybe they can do the same for Fables.

Yeah, they took a comic series that I couldn't give a poo poo about anymore and turned it into on the best games I've ever played. I'm hoping lightning strikes twice.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Hakkesshu posted:

we aren't necessarily supposed to sympathize with them (other than maybe Flycatcher).

We kind of are...Snow and Bigby are basically the main characters and are portrayed as the best of the Fable community. Yes, they have horrible pasts, but now they're all good and moral types, if self-righteous.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Speaking of The Unwritten, I am reading issue 45 and the purported Australian idioms Carey puts in are embarrassing to read. As an Australian I can say I have never heard anyone use the word 'strewth' as anything other than mockery of how foreigners believe we talk.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Neurosis posted:

Speaking of The Unwritten, I am reading issue 45 and the purported Australian idioms Carey puts in are embarrassing to read. As an Australian I can say I have never heard anyone use the word 'strewth' as anything other than mockery of how foreigners believe we talk.

As a New Zealander, I've heard strewth used once, and only once, by a very old man who was friends with my grandfather.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have never got the impression that the Fables were supposed to be unsympathetic; the whole scenario is basically designed so that Willingham can jerk off about how great Israel is.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

I have never got the impression that the Fables were supposed to be unsympathetic; the whole scenario is basically designed so that Willingham can jerk off about how great Israel is.

They loving frame some guy as a pedophile by taking pictures of him with Pinocchio. They do all sorts of reprehensible poo poo like that all the time. Half the point of reading Fables is seeing how hosed up their little insular society is and how they will mercilessly punish anyone for breaking their rules.

I guess Snow White is kind of sympathetic, but Bigby definitely isn't - even if he wants to change his ways, he's shown to be a ruthless piece of poo poo, like, constantly. Boy Blue and Flycatcher are pretty much the only straight up good, selfless guys in this whole tale.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 14, 2013

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah. Too bad Boy Blue's death scene (and thus his entire character) was blemished by Willingham's appalling sexist bullshit. Which has always been the worst part of the comic to me, over all the Israel-fellating and other conservative talking points.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I guess Snow White is kind of sympathetic, but Bigby definitely isn't - even if he wants to change his ways, he's shown to be a ruthless piece of poo poo, like, constantly.

Yeah but that's clearly because Willingham wants him to be seen as a "badass" "antihero" type.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bigby is very obviously supposed to be sympathetic, he's just being written by a terrible person.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah but that's clearly because Willingham wants him to be seen as a "badass" "antihero" type.

I was told coming into the comic by a friend NOT to see him that way, but I can see how people can't help it. Throughout the gamut of the series, he becomes much more sympathetic, especially once he's sorta pushed aside when Charming takes over.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
My initial impression reading that series was that Bigby is Willingham writing a Wolverine.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Incidentally speaking of Fables, I just read the two Cinderella spinoffs and I thought they were both (especially the first) way more enjoyable than most of Fables ever was for me. Shame there won't be any more.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Incidentally speaking of Fables, I just read the two Cinderella spinoffs and I thought they were both (especially the first) way more enjoyable than most of Fables ever was for me. Shame there won't be any more.

There's fairest, which is the ladies of fables* spin off, and only the first bit was written by bill.

*snow not included

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neurosis posted:

Speaking of, did the all the factual errors in the "literature lecture" part of the stories ever turn out to be something or was it just Carey using Wikipedia for research?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Just got through Fables 100 so don't spoil anything for me. Willingham makes his political opinions pretty clear but I don't think it detracts from the series too much. If I only ever read books, watched movies/TV shows, or played games that supported my viewpoint, I think I'd miss out on a lot of great stuff.

Bigby is clearly kind of an rear end in a top hat, even if he is the big hero of the series. The whole Israel analogy thing didn't make me :rolleyes: since it seemed very in-character for him. Keep in mind the Fables are coming from a world that resembles our medieval era, and they remain a pretty insular community, so even years of being in New York City wouldn't necessary turn all of them into progressive liberals. Hell, there are plenty of conservatives in NYC even in the real world :v:.

With Boy Blue's pre-death speech I realize Willingham intended that to be a harsh talking down to Rose Red, but I think I'll just pretend it was Blue releasing pent up anger in a mean, childish way.

• Locked thread