Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Triskelli posted:

I know that everyone's noticed Dirk's "Kamina shades" (:kamina:), but the most recent update has another direct comparison to the second half of that series:

I think Hussie's watched Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagaan now :ohdear:

(e: images broke, reuploaded to imgur)

To be turned into an anime, truly a fate worse than death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Triskelli posted:

I think Hussie's watched Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagaan now :ohdear:

If this ends with Galaxies being thrown about like giant ninja stars in utter defiance of any kind of physics I will be a happy goon.

Rykert
Mar 13, 2010
Worry not, that kind of visual effect has been around for a while now. It is not just the animes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if Jade is technically in a dream bubble right now.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I just realized this page reached 900 pages.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jade punched Jake so hard that he's bleeding. That's going to be some major internal organ injuries.

If it weren't for that last panel of HIC in the pile of money, I would have sworn that she was trying to get Roxy to avoid LE. I guess she still could, and the money is just one of the other things she wants. But I don't know why she needs Jake or a god-level Hope player.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

IUG posted:

If it weren't for that last panel of HIC in the pile of money, I would have sworn that she was trying to get Roxy to avoid LE. I guess she still could, and the money is just one of the other things she wants. But I don't know why she needs Jake or a god-level Hope player.

If things go wrong and Lord English does find her, who better to have than the guy who's prophesied to defeat him?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

IUG posted:

Jade punched Jake so hard that he's bleeding. That's going to be some major internal organ injuries.

He's not bleeding, that's just the belt.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

He's not bleeding, that's just the belt.

Also, it was Jane.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bongo Bill posted:

Right now, Jack is Lord English's eyes, in a very literal sense, and Jack just got teleported to the edge of the session where he can't see anything. Roxy's presence is how Doc Scratch didn't know about any of this and therefore warn Lord English against sending the Condesce as his agent in the first place, but she'll definitely be helpful in preventing him from seeking revenge.

That's also the reason she took Jake. His destiny of being the one to defeat Lord English in combat means that he's an insurance policy in case Lord English ever does find her. Of course, he knows exactly where she is right now, so obviously she can't stay. She needs to go somewhere that Lord English can't.

She could've done any of this with just GCat, so why does she need Jade specifically? It's because Jade has a Battlefield and a neonatal Genesis Frog, the ingredients needed to make a new universe. She can easily go after the Denizens' grist hoards if that's an issue. She'll make a new universe and enter it, and once inside, use Jane (with her proven ability to resurrect dead planets) to create a new Alternia. She had to get Dirk out of the picture because Lil Cal is his, and that's how Lord English enters universes. No Dirk: no Lil Cal: no Lord English. Just an added layer of security.

With Prospit destroyed, the only thing can prevent her from doing as she will with Skaia is the Breeze. Only John can stop her.

Bongo Bill, I think you're right on the money and have nailed the Condesce's plan here. The universe to escape into, the life-giver to rebuild her civilization, the void to hide in and the prophecised killer of her former boss if she's found out - this is the Condesce's retirement package.

I'm a little surprised she bothered hucking Dirk instead of insta-killing him with some power or other, unless he's still a combat threat and only the absolute dominion of teleportation guaranteed getting rid of him.

Edit - maybe she's prepared to deal with John too? Maybe that's what she's holding on to Dad for?

Dolash fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 16, 2013

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Dolash posted:

Bongo Bill, I think you're right on the money and have nailed the Condesce's plan here. The universe to escape into, the life-giver to rebuild her civilization, the void to hide in and the prophecised killer of her former boss if she's found out - this is the Condesce's retirement package.

I'm a little surprised she bothered hucking Dirk instead of insta-killing him with some power or other, unless he's still a combat threat and only the absolute dominion of teleportation guaranteed getting rid of him.

She's probably keeping him around because he's a competent enough fighter to slow down any threats before they get to her, but not easy to control like the other kids.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
At this point I think we are all desperately banking on HIC saying a big "gently caress you" to LE and becoming some crazy anti-hero. Like how Meenah tried to kill Roxy and then turned out to be one of the best trolls.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Well this is quite the turn of events.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think everyone should chill for minute and gaze at this:

Now I really want that Homestuck game to just be a re-skin of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand with HIC as the main character.

But what would replace the swear button? A shipping button?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

RandallODim posted:

But what would replace the swear button? A shipping button?

Fish puns, duh.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Quotetype posted:

At this point I think we are all desperately banking on HIC saying a big "gently caress you" to LE and becoming some crazy anti-hero. Like how Meenah tried to kill Roxy and then turned out to be one of the best trolls.

Considering she's directly responsible for the misery of the troll race and the extermination of the human race, I don't think the players would consider allying with her even out of convenience - you don't let Fish Hitler have a happy ending. Considering the current circumstances they'll probably have to defeat her just to keep her from hijacking their new universe anyway.

A good example of how to handle an anti-hero is the different incarnations of Jack Noir. Despite all being fundamentally the same person, Spades Slick is only shown fighting other bad guys and is a begruding ally of the trolls whom Karkat even looks up to. On the other hand, his other versions have brutally murdered planets' worth of innocent people. It's not that Spades Slick wouldn't, but because he hasn't he can get the antihero treatment.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Dolash posted:

Dirk was rushing to protect Roxy in a potentially heroic way. She probably wanted to skip the whole "was this death just/heroic" question.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If this was HIC's plan, what on Earth Derse was Roxy supposed to do to help it?

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Fister Roboto posted:

To be turned into an anime, truly a fate worse than death.

Just before New Year's I was in downtown Austin and saw a whole troupe of Homestuck cosplayers, mostly trolls with gray faces and horns, but some really high-effort Beta and Alpha kids, too.

They were mostly high-schoolers, I realized, who couldn't get into any of the bars. I asked the Rose what was going on. She said Ikkicon was going on at the Hilton a few blocks away. Ikkicon has its roots as an anime convention, but it's now added "pop culture".

I'd actually parked near to there, so I checked in the lobby. It was full of cosplayers.

99% of them Homestuck of some kind. And a few MLP bronys. And a Solid Snake. There were probably some actual anime cosplayers in there somewhere, but I either didn't recognize them or they didn't stand out amid all the Homestuck.

Homestuck now trumps all animes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
cons always been pop culture/low art festivals and homestuck has always been kind of animesque.

Only time I went to a con was probably before homestuck was that big a thing because I remember thinking about how low-effort it would be to dress up as dave but not bothering, and not seeing any homestuck costumes either. I was just going to have the experience once.

But the costumes were mostly final fantasy, pokemon, street fighter, 4chan meme references, just stuff from very very high-visibility anime and video games sold in the us. There were also multiple Batman villains, generic steampunk, jack sparrow, etc. So nothing said here surprises me.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I hope Jade remembered to unshrink the ship before she popped over to say hi. Actually wait no, I hope she didn't, and there's a tiny John and Davesprite running around until this all gets sorted out.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

If the Condense can control Jade, does that mean she can control Jack and PM as well? And does that mean we might get a shot of Condy holding back the two of them with leashes and diamond-studed muzzles, a la Snoop World?

Popo posted:

What I would say, though, is in the section about disabilities and Tavros and Terzei's different ways of dealing with them you don't mention something I think is very relevant: The dreamselves.
Terezi's dreamself is blind, carrying over her real world disability, while Tavros' dreamself appears able to walk. I can't remember if this was said in the comic or just fan theorising but I remember the idea that this was to do with acceptance of ones situation. Terezi came to a point where she was comfortable with her blindness, probably because of the bond it helped her form with her Lusus while Tavros rejected it because, well, I don't know but my guess would be denying problems exist.

Looking forward to Murderstuck in 6 months time!

I'm kicking myself for not remembering the dreamself stuff - that's a perfect example of the difference between the two. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm actually almost done with the first draft of Act 5 Act 2 - I just have to finish taking notes on Shoosh/Pap and Cascade. It'll still be a bitch to edit, though.

Triskelli posted:

Do you think it's important to discuss the puns involved in LE's and Doc Scratch's names now, or will they be addressed at a later date?

You mentioned that Feferi has tons of potential that the comic never touches on, but then don't explain that opinion. It probably won't fit where you brought it up, but I'm curious as to what you meant.

The topic of the handicapped in Homestuck is pretty poignant and not something I had thought about before. Surprised you didn't make the comparison between Toph and Terezi though, since they're very similar characters in the level of manic glee they possess and about how much their blindness affects them. Still, I think the idea that the trolls disabilities are inflicted on them isn't that much of a distraction...

Yeah, I overlooked the names because they seem so obvious at this point, but that's a good point - I'll add a note in next draft to help out first-time readers.

Here's my beef (fillet?) with Feferi: she's the most pampered kid on the planet, and the Empress can't touch her because Cthulhu is her foster mom, but she does nothing to try to shake up the Troll's shithole of a planet. She's one of the few kids in any position to try to improve their miserable society but she doesn't even really try (if Karkat had Gl'bgolyb riding shotgun you could bet poo poo would get done). She's a perfect example of someone with good intentions but no drive or sense of responsibility - she admits "culling" cuttlefish to supposedly care for them is a just a game, and without blaming her for Eridan's subsequent actions, she probably picked the worst possible moment to ditch him.

I confess I haven't watched Avatar: The Last Airbender - it's a major omission in my study of the geek canon. Someday...

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I hope Jade remembered to unshrink the ship before she popped over to say hi. Actually wait no, I hope she didn't, and there's a tiny John and Davesprite running around until this all gets sorted out.

After Jade and Jane get uncorrupted and the meteor kids swoop in, we'll catch up with John:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOUq4rg9_rs

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Indie Rocktopus posted:

If the Condense can control Jade, does that mean she can control Jack and PM as well? And does that mean we might get a shot of Condy holding back the two of them with leashes and diamond-studed muzzles, a la Snoop World?

I'm kicking myself for not remembering the dreamself stuff - that's a perfect example of the difference between the two. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm actually almost done with the first draft of Act 5 Act 2 - I just have to finish taking notes on Shoosh/Pap and Cascade. It'll still be a bitch to edit, though.

Yeah, I overlooked the names because they seem so obvious at this point, but that's a good point - I'll add a note in next draft to help out first-time readers.

Here's my beef (fillet?) with Feferi: she's the most pampered kid on the planet, and the Empress can't touch her because Cthulhu is her foster mom, but she does nothing to try to shake up the Troll's shithole of a planet. She's one of the few kids in any position to try to improve their miserable society but she doesn't even really try (if Karkat had Gl'bgolyb riding shotgun you could bet poo poo would get done). She's a perfect example of someone with good intentions but no drive or sense of responsibility - she admits "culling" cuttlefish to supposedly care for them is a just a game, and without blaming her for Eridan's subsequent actions, she probably picked the worst possible moment to ditch him.

I confess I haven't watched Avatar: The Last Airbender - it's a major omission in my study of the geek canon. Someday...

What exactly could Feferi have done at the point in her life she was at? If you were a member of troll society who would you listen to: the multi-thousand sweep old dictator who can and would not hesitate to have you and your entire family killed at the slightest provocation, or her gentle and polite 6 sweep old daughter? I guarantee that if Feferi actually tried to change things while she had the chance, Condy would have her locked up without thinking twice. Even if Glb'golyb prevented that, Fef would at least be under constant watch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Additionally, Gl'bgolyb still had affinity with Meenah at that time, so even had she tried to take full control of the absolute basis of imperial power, that could be contested.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the topic of mini-John and Davesprite: Kanaya is a Space player. One given a role that specializes in healing and restoration, as far as we can tell.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Rasamune posted:

code:
[color="#77003c"]if u wana get da
[size="x-large"][b][i]scrilla[/i][/b][/size]
then u gots to be a[/color]
[color="#FF0000"][size="x-large"][b][i]killa[/i][/b][/size][/color]

Dibs on this sweet yolo swag.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Note Block posted:

Dibs on this sweet yolo swag.

I have never been so jealous of an avatar in my life.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I am sure there will be a call-back to Jake jumping Meenah sometime in the future, with Aradia jumping HIC.

After all, who better to go after Sea-Hitler than troll-Indiana Jones?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Here's my beef (fillet?) with Feferi: she's the most pampered kid on the planet, and the Empress can't touch her because Cthulhu is her foster mom, but she does nothing to try to shake up the Troll's shithole of a planet. She's one of the few kids in any position to try to improve their miserable society but she doesn't even really try (if Karkat had Gl'bgolyb riding shotgun you could bet poo poo would get done).

She was a child, and she would have had to have dueled the Empress for the right to fully command Gl'bgolyb, which she had every intention of doing, after she lost her "is a child" handicap.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samovar posted:

I am sure there will be a call-back to Jake jumping Meenah sometime in the future, with Aradia jumping HIC.

After all, who better to go after Sea-Hitler than troll-Indiana Jones?

Might also give us a call-back to this.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
My SBaHJ book arrived!

And it's...signed by Dave even though I only payed for Andrews signature?

Welp.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rhinoceraptor posted:

My SBaHJ book arrived!

And it's...signed by Dave even though I only payed for Andrews signature?

Welp.

That means it's worth double.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ariong posted:

What exactly could Feferi have done at the point in her life she was at? If you were a member of troll society who would you listen to: the multi-thousand sweep old dictator who can and would not hesitate to have you and your entire family killed at the slightest provocation, or her gentle and polite 6 sweep old daughter? I guarantee that if Feferi actually tried to change things while she had the chance, Condy would have her locked up without thinking twice. Even if Glb'golyb prevented that, Fef would at least be under constant watch.

Not to mention, Feferi very much wanted to restructure troll society to be kinder and more considerate, and had planned to do so when she took the throne, but Glb'golyb was giving her Derse whispers that Alternia was ticketed for destruction long before her age of majority and that the only way out, and as such the only hope for her people, was through Sgrub. She also seems to have had a rough idea of the game's creative potential - when she's ditching Eridan, she talks about "that's all over now and there's nothing we can do about it, it's time to create something new".

I find it hard to censure her for not doing something as an isolated kid at the bottom of the ocean. The narration mentions that the only thing preventing the Condesce from straight-up assassinating her is Glb'golyb, and Glb'golyb's loyalties while they certainly lean towards Feferi probably aren't clear-cut enough for Feferi (even if she was more warlike and willing to instigate a bloody civil uprising of children against adults, which is what any war she directed would have to be) to just point Glb'golyb at her former ward and say "kill!".

e: honestly, I always got the impression she had kind of a crummy life. She's the heir apparent but the Empress is functionally ageless, and constantly angling for a way to wipe out her vulnerable successor before she's old enough to actually pose a political threat. She lives alone at the bottom of the sea and her closest friend is Eridan, who she had to enlist and befriend (even though she clearly doesn't like him much) just to keep her lusus and only protection against summary assassination fed. It seems like if she actually had any cachet in Imperial politics there would be some kind of meat wagon operating for Glb'golyb rather than the teenage princess having to cut and scrape and get her hands dirty to keep her monstermom alive. Plus, she can't even pop a Tab. What kind of life is that? :(

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 16, 2013

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm worried you guys. First Russia, now Cuba and San Francisco.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Now I feel like an idiot for not helping with the Kickstarter. "I'll get it after the game comes out and goes on sale". The game never even gets out of Beta at the best before the rest of the world is destroyed. I've chosen poorly, and I'll be meteor'ed.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

IUG posted:

Now I feel like an idiot for not helping with the Kickstarter. "I'll get it after the game comes out and goes on sale". The game never even gets out of Beta at the best before the rest of the world is destroyed. I've chosen poorly, and I'll be meteor'ed.

Yeah, you're hosed. The rest of us have all gotten our install discs by now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dorroile posted:

Yeah, you're hosed. The rest of us have all gotten our install discs by now.

Have fun with that 100,000 player session consisting entirely of weird internet people. Try not to gently caress up and die and get stuck with them in a dead-but-dreaming state for eternity.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Seoinin posted:

Have fun with that 100,000 player session consisting entirely of weird internet people. Try not to gently caress up and die and get stuck with them in a dead-but-dreaming state for eternity.

You're just jealous because you're not chilling with Koossprite like I am.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ariong posted:

You aren't going to be so happy when he spends all your Boonbucks on reregs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Ariong posted:

Have fun dealing with a 100,000x prototyped Black King that's nothing but a massive conglomeration of every Homestuck fan's favorite anime/video game (or Homestuck) character distilled into a single body (and at least eleven incarnations of The Doctor).

And Koos.