Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Triangulum posted:

We leave Germany in four days and I'm freaking the gently caress out. I know we've got all the dog stuff taken care of and have long enough layerovers to take care of customs and my husband's immigration but aaaahhh holy poo poo what if something goes wrong :supaburn: This poo poo can't be over soon enough.

I had a really surprising and cool experience with Vecna at the park today though. One of the scent pads I laid yesterday was still visible and he spend a bunch of time sniffing around inside it without leaving the boundry and hunting for food. It honestly was probably the visual of the scent pad that sent him into search mode but it was still neat to see.

It will be Okay. You will be Okay. It is awful and stressful but you will be Okay. Promise, dude. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Thanks, it actually makes me feel a lot better hearing that from someone who's moved a bunch of dogs all over the place :3: And things will be awesome once we get back to San Diego. Our own house (WITH A YARD!), beaches, no more incessant rain, lots of hiking and camping spots, dog trainers I can actually talk to without a translator... The puppy's gonna love it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You guys! You guys! Sadie is actually hiding correctly! I am so proud!

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Aravenna posted:

Every time anyone posts anything about her at all I'm convinced they're telling me she's dead. I thought I could get away from it here but nope. :mad:

She had problems after foaling last year too. If she pulls through this they should give up on her and send her to the Kentucky Horse Park to live with Cigar.

Yeah well the small colon is pretty much where all the bacteria is concentrated in the colon of horses because they are hind gut fermenters (like large bunnies, basically, except they don't do that gross thing bunnies do where they eat their special crap), so that's why prognosis is so meh - all that bacteria goes into the blood stream and has a party. Small colon also has a lot of trouble healing because of its function (pull water out of poop and turn it into poop balls) and the fact that it has a lot of collagenases in in (things that break down collagen, which is needed to build tissue). On the bright side, she seems to be rallying, so that's good!

And look at this kid with her nurse mare. What a cute kid and a good nurse mare :3:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Enelrahc posted:

Yeah well the small colon is pretty much where all the bacteria is concentrated in the colon of horses because they are hind gut fermenters (like large bunnies, basically, except they don't do that gross thing bunnies do where they eat their special crap), so that's why prognosis is so meh - all that bacteria goes into the blood stream and has a party. Small colon also has a lot of trouble healing because of its function (pull water out of poop and turn it into poop balls) and the fact that it has a lot of collagenases in in (things that break down collagen, which is needed to build tissue). On the bright side, she seems to be rallying, so that's good!

And look at this kid with her nurse mare. What a cute kid and a good nurse mare :3:

Nurse mare is a QH named Beutiful Ojos, Ojos for short. This is her baby (courtesy of Stonestreet's website). She's being bottle-fed and will hopefully grow-up to be a reining/cutting horse.

Rachel's doing better, there's also a video of her hassling her owner for more peppermints.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Drum posted:

And the obvious evolution from there:

In the future, Bulldogs will have no need for walking. They will roll everywhere.
Gyrodog! This made me smile, thanks for that, I need it. :3
I still don't know what's going to happen with my friend's dog, I feel like right now isn't the time to ask her if she's keeping him or what. I've never had two dogs at the same time before, so this could turn out interesting.. :/

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

You guys! You guys! Sadie is actually hiding correctly! I am so proud!

Pic's or it didn't happen bro.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Renzuko posted:

She's clearly not hiding herself, she's hiding the camera. Smart kitty.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The livestock vet called today to tell me my new goats have giardia. They don't have any symptoms so hopefully I will not have the same ordeal as Bash and the Boston giardia factory did. Ugh. At least they are still in quarantine and we caught it before they have kids and pass it to them.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 17, 2013

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The livestock vet called today to tell me my new goats have giardia. They don't have any symptoms so hopefully I will not have the same ordeal as Bash and the Boston giardia factory did. Ugh. At least they are still in quarantine and we caught it before they have kids and pass it to them.

:haw: glad I can be a tribute as to The Worst Possibility. Do goats eat other goats poop? Thats how dogs get it/reinfect themselves. They eat poop that has it, or they lick their butt/another dogs butt that has it.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

I think you ought to name one of the kids Feldman.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I went to theAustin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary today and took lots of photos, which are contained with photos from last year.

This is my favorite photo I took today:

Lions are weird. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

AcetylCoA! posted:

I think you ought to name one of the kids Feldman.

If Tootsie has a buckling that's black with a white belt like his daddy I may not name it Feldman but I will send Bash a goat related prize for somehow toying with fate.

Most years I am really hoping for girls but this year I have plans for boys so I'm thinking blue. Of course that means I'll have girls like crazy. If I could place an order though I would like twin red kids from Angela, a doe and a buck, and either a chocolate or black belted buck from Tootsie. If she would like to also have a doe that would be appreciated but not necessary. The sheep can do what they want except I would like the romeldales to also have boy/girl twins preferably moorit ones but I'm flexible about that.

Two weeks until I start shearing and see who is pregnant and who is just a fatty chunk! It's like unwrapping a big wooly present.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

If Tootsie has a buckling that's black with a white belt like his daddy I may not name it Feldman but I will send Bash a goat related prize for somehow toying with fate.

Most years I am really hoping for girls but this year I have plans for boys so I'm thinking blue. Of course that means I'll have girls like crazy. If I could place an order though I would like twin red kids from Angela, a doe and a buck, and either a chocolate or black belted buck from Tootsie. If she would like to also have a doe that would be appreciated but not necessary. The sheep can do what they want except I would like the romeldales to also have boy/girl twins preferably moorit ones but I'm flexible about that.

Two weeks until I start shearing and see who is pregnant and who is just a fatty chunk! It's like unwrapping a big wooly present.

:swoon:

Just wondering, how many sheep/goat do you have now? How many do you plan on having total? I mean more sheep means more good, but there's a limit, yes?

Also it shouldn't be called Feldman. It should be named Feldgoat. :colbert:

Though not Goatman. That's something else entirely.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Just wondering, how many sheep/goat do you have now? How many do you plan on having total? I mean more sheep means more good, but there's a limit, yes?

I currently have 5 goats and 21 sheep, 10 of which (hopefully) have been bred. I won't keep more than 40 permanently without doing some serious pasture reorganization so my land isn't overgrazed. I only have 16 acres and only ~12 of those are fenced so there is definitely a limit to how many animals I can house.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 17, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Drum posted:

I went to theAustin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary today and took lots of photos, which are contained with photos from last year.

This is my favorite photo I took today:

Lions are weird. :3:

Oh zoo pictures? :hf: I have those.

"What? A camera?"

~posing~

:3: And this little girl is way too friendly for her own good. Brand new to the exhibit too. She did awesome.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Did someone say zoo picture?? :byodood:

Petting zoos, hell yes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Renzuko posted:

McDragon posted:

She's clearly not hiding herself, she's hiding the camera. Smart kitty.

:colbert:

OK, so there was a little bit of floof overflow but it was solidly in the "unviewable by the birds" area.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
So my "fun little dog project" to do over reading week got a little out of hand and now I have about 1,900 emails to send out to breeders and people keep telling me that this could end up being a paper :toot:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

We're posting zoo pictures now?

Little pink ocelot nose :3:

This sloth walked all the way around his exhibit to go be a dick to a marmoset.

Meerkats are awesome.

Goddamn evil ducks

This isn't from a zoo, I just miss my gibbons. This boy and his family were awesome to study even though Bangladesh during the monsoon season was a bitch.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

This isn't from a zoo, I just miss my gibbons. This boy and his family were awesome to study even though Bangladesh during the monsoon season was a bitch.

Love this one. The lighting on the leaves is gorgeous.

Here, have some cuddling.

Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo by Kiri koli, on Flickr

This bird so wanted to kill me.

Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Does a butterfly conservatory count as a zoo?

IMG_3068 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

IMG_3088 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

IMG_3116 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Kiri koli posted:

Does a butterfly conservatory count as a zoo?

IMG_3088 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Alexandra's Birdwing! The females are the biggest butterflies in the world. 12 inch wingspan! This looks to be a male, but I don't care. I am so loving jealous.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

AcetylCoA! posted:

Alexandra's Birdwing! The females are the biggest butterflies in the world. 12 inch wingspan! This looks to be a male, but I don't care. I am so loving jealous.

Woah, I had no idea. I definitely don't remember it being huge, so it must be a male. I think if it had had a 12 inch wingspan, I would have been running away rather than taking a picture. :D

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiri koli posted:

Love this one. The lighting on the leaves is gorgeous.

Thanks! The backlighting was killing me the whole time. A professional wildlife photographer tagged along with us for a while and I was crazy jealous of his skills but I did what I could with equipment that cost less than a new car.

So much backlighting.

And there were goddamn leaves everywhere.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Thanks! The backlighting was killing me the whole time. A professional wildlife photographer tagged along with us for a while and I was crazy jealous of his skills but I did what I could with equipment that cost less than a new car.

:( :hf: :( Totally hear you on the jealously front. I was happy for a few months after I bought a new lens, thinking I didn't need anything else for a while. Then I signed up for a photography class where it's me and a bunch of retired people with too much time and money on their hands...

Did you try any exposure blending? I generally set up exposure bracketing and shoot in bursts (so the subject doesn't move much) and then try to blend 2-3 exposures later if the backlight is totally killing me. I think there is some good blending software out there that's free...I use a lightroom plugin so you don't even need mad photoshop skillz or anything.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Cross-posted from yappy rat because who doesn't love dog walkies pictures :3:

We did a BIG WALK today so it's photodump o'clock.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Whew, good news everyone, Sadie has returned to her normal fail-hiding antics:

Also... This is why I can't have clean things!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiri koli posted:

:( :hf: :( Totally hear you on the jealously front. I was happy for a few months after I bought a new lens, thinking I didn't need anything else for a while. Then I signed up for a photography class where it's me and a bunch of retired people with too much time and money on their hands...

Did you try any exposure blending? I generally set up exposure bracketing and shoot in bursts (so the subject doesn't move much) and then try to blend 2-3 exposures later if the backlight is totally killing me. I think there is some good blending software out there that's free...I use a lightroom plugin so you don't even need mad photoshop skillz or anything.
I had so much other stuff to do on top of hiking 8 hours a day, getting heat stroke, and falling down hills, I didn't have a chance to do anything fancy. It took me probably a month before I realized I wasn't shooting in RAW :downs: Some day I want to go back and explore the south of the country and see the tigers and whales and take a million pictures.

The pro photographer had a lens that was probably 3 feet long and probably costs more than what an entire Bangladeshi village makes in their lifetimes. He could see every eyelash on those gibbons. I lusted after that equipment so bad, but I was sure glad I didn't have to lug that over the hills in the 100 degree heat all day. His results were amazing though.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I need some advice. We're seriously questioning our vet's choices as far as Zoso's diet goes. The only reason they've put him on these diets is because he had to eat special food while recovering from pancreatitis caused by the prednisone they had him on for too long. Then that food gave him a rash, so they put him on a new diet, which caused a rash. Now they have him eating food that literally has NO MEAT in it. NO loving MEAT AT ALL. It looks and smells like oyster crackers and barely has any intelligible ingredients. We're so frustrated at this point, and Zoso not only doesn't want to eat anymore but he has no energy. I'm always the first to say "listen to your vet" when it comes to veterinary diets, but this is ridiculous. We have a whole freezer full of rabbit chunks just waiting to be eaten and we're giving him this crap.

Should we seek another vet? Any time we bring up a raw diet ours gets preachy and upset. Why do they hate it so much?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Abbeh posted:

I need some advice. We're seriously questioning our vet's choices as far as Zoso's diet goes. The only reason they've put him on these diets is because he had to eat special food while recovering from pancreatitis...

Should we seek another vet? Any time we bring up a raw diet ours gets preachy and upset. Why do they hate it so much?

Well, no one here can tell you not to take your vet's advice, so if you're really that unhappy with their direction of care you should seek out the opinion of another vet.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Greycious posted:

Well, no one here can tell you not to take your vet's advice, so if you're really that unhappy with their direction of care you should seek out the opinion of another vet.

Seconding this. If you're not seeing the results in your dog that you want, consult another vet. You might end up hearing the same thing, but at least then you'll have peace of mind.

Abbeh posted:

Because most people are heinously stupid and their idea of a raw diet is just to feed the dog nothing but meat, then have to bring them into the e-vet wondering why they are seriously malnourished. Dog nutrition is more complicated than your average bonehead dog owner can comprehend, but everybody thinks they know what they're doing. If I was a vet, I'd seriously question people who wanted to feed raw for their motivations, what they are trying to accomplish in terms of their dog's health, how much they know about balancing a raw diet and dog nutrition in general, and what they are willing to do in terms of keeping up with the vet on how the dog is doing om the raw diet.

It's just easier to recommend feeding a pre-fab diet that is already balanced properly, than to really try to explain what raw feeding entails to people who mean well but just have no clue.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Serella posted:

Seconding this. If you're not seeing the results in your dog that you want, consult another vet. You might end up hearing the same thing, but at least then you'll have peace of mind.

Because most people are heinously stupid and their idea of a raw diet is just to feed the dog nothing but meat, then have to bring them into the e-vet wondering why they are seriously malnourished. Dog nutrition is more complicated than your average bonehead dog owner can comprehend, but everybody thinks they know what they're doing. If I was a vet, I'd seriously question people who wanted to feed raw for their motivations, what they are trying to accomplish in terms of their dog's health, how much they know about balancing a raw diet and dog nutrition in general, and what they are willing to do in terms of keeping up with the vet on how the dog is doing om the raw diet.

It's just easier to recommend feeding a pre-fab diet that is already balanced properly, than to really try to explain what raw feeding entails to people who mean well but just have no clue.

Yeah this. What about a homemade cooked diet? You're still controlling what he eats that way, and maybe a vet wouldn't immediately have a meltdown because the word "raw" would not be involved. Honestly, with the exception of raw bones, there's really nothing gained from an all raw diet except it's easier because you don't have to cook anything. You'd be feeding him exactly what he'd be eating on raw, except it's cooked. For RMBs, you can cook them low until the meat is mostly cooked but the bones themselves are not. Cuts way down on the issues potentially caused by raw feeding and may cause your vet to freak out less.

I mean if he needs a prescription diet cool, but for a dog with dietary issues, I personally would seek out a vet who knew a lot more about nutrition than the average vet usually does.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
They had mentioned giving us some recipes, but instead gave us these weird meatless nuggets. I'd absolutely be up for cooking his food. This would be easier if we both took him to the vet, but I work Saturday's so it's all second-hand from what my husband's heard.

I still would like to hear from them why they think an entirely meatless diet would be food for a dog.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Abbeh posted:

They had mentioned giving us some recipes, but instead gave us these weird meatless nuggets. I'd absolutely be up for cooking his food. This would be easier if we both took him to the vet, but I work Saturday's so it's all second-hand from what my husband's heard.

I still would like to hear from them why they think an entirely meatless diet would be food for a dog.

Instead of complaining to the internet ad nauseum, do something about it.

Have your vet give you a referral to a board certified nutritionist who will formulate a diet to your pet's specific needs. Most wont work in raw, but some will. U of Tennessee is one of them, I believe. All will be happy to work with you and your veterinarian on a balanced homemade cooked diet and will work in your desire to use rabbit meat into your dog's diet while preventing his pancreatitis from recurring.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Oh lawdy, I'll never vent again! :o:

In other news:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Speaking of zoos, I ran across a really cool video of some trainers working with Spotted Hyenas at the Denver Zoo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs-tAHqGruY

More hyena training from other zoos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQqXgnDHZM

This is the best thing ever :3: I loving love Spotted Hyenas, they are the coolest animals.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 18, 2013

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My coworker feeds her ~1 year old dog nothing but raw chickens, and wondered why he stopped growing. She refuses to listen to anyone telling her anything otherwise, since she's the self-proclaimed dog expert of the office.

I wish she'd listen 'cause her dog's a cool dude. Unfortunately it's going to take something drastic happening to the poor guy because of his raw chicken only diet to make her change his diet :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My coworker feeds her ~1 year old dog nothing but raw chickens, and wondered why he stopped growing. She refuses to listen to anyone telling her anything otherwise, since she's the self-proclaimed dog expert of the office.

I wish she'd listen 'cause her dog's a cool dude. Unfortunately it's going to take something drastic happening to the poor guy because of his raw chicken only diet to make her change his diet :(

Are they whole chickens, like, heads/feet/organs and all? Cause when I had meat chickens I would just go grab one and ring its neck and throw it to a dog and they did pretty good with that being the majority of their diet for months on end

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Are they whole chickens, like, heads/feet/organs and all? Cause when I had meat chickens I would just go grab one and ring its neck and throw it to a dog and they did pretty good with that being the majority of their diet for months on end

No problems with the feathers either? That's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No problems with the feathers either? That's pretty neat.

tastes good

• Locked thread