Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Yeah its a rule that rarely comes up because literally two seconds beforehand you can just slaughter some of your extra animals to make the room.

Each type of animal only breeds once though, so if you have 4 cows you'll end up with 5 after the breeding step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010

Xyretire posted:

You can however kill some animals for food before the breeding step happens. Say you have six cows and no room for more, kill two of them to leave you with four for the breeding step, bringing you back up to your original six.

You'd actually only get one additional cow. The rulebook says that "any player with at least 2 animals of the same type receives exactly one additional (baby) animal of that type". It was something my group did wrong for the longest time.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
What are people's views on War of the Ring?

The posts on BGG are all from long term fans and so lack perspective. Has anyone played recently? I'm looking to get some friends into new board games and I think the LOTR theme might do the trick. Someone described it as Axis and Allies but it looks more interesting than that. Views?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I think War of the Ring, at least the current 2nd Edition, is fantastic and well worth the price if you want something for 2 players (sure, 4 could play it, but it's really designed for 2). It's not too crunchy and the rules make sense in play. I wouldn't describe it as being like Axis & Allies, though, as the gameplay is entirely different and more fitting to the theme and setting. The reviews on BGG explain the game better than I do here, and it deserves most of the praise it gets.

That said, the colors they chose for models of the armies are loving terrible. Giant light blue army vs giant bright red army. I went ahead and made my own custom pieces for the game. For the armies I painted wood tokens in four different colors (representing how a 4 player game would break down) and applied each race's logo to its units. For the named characters, I used LotR HeroClix so that everything looked like it was out of the movies. I ripped off the giant clix bases and rebased the models on a combination metal/rubber washer. Honestly, it looks really snazzy. I'll throw up a pic if I can dig one up.

EDIT:

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 17, 2013

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

How do you guys feel about the expansions for Galaxy Trucker? I've been wanting to get the game for a while now and I'm trying to decide if I should get the anniversary edition which comes with both expansions, the base game with with one expansion or just get the base game? The second expansion seems to be ranked lower on BGG.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

ZeroAX posted:

How do you guys feel about the expansions for Galaxy Trucker? I've been wanting to get the game for a while now and I'm trying to decide if I should get the anniversary edition which comes with both expansions, the base game with with one expansion or just get the base game? The second expansion seems to be ranked lower on BGG.

I have the base game and it feels like enough. Also, if everyone tries to play the biggest of the biggest ships at once, there aren't quite enough pieces, which actually fits nicely with the theme of the game.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

DrSalt posted:

You'd actually only get one additional cow. The rulebook says that "any player with at least 2 animals of the same type receives exactly one additional (baby) animal of that type". It was something my group did wrong for the longest time.

Holy crap. We've played like four or five times and did this wrong every time.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ZeroAX posted:

The expansions are good once you've played the base game a bunch. If you've already played it and know you like it, then I'd suggest getting the anniversary edition, but not adding the expansion stuff until you're bored of the base game (and not adding the second expansion until you're bored of the first). Basically, once you're good enough to almost always have your ship survive, it's time to add more expansion to make things harder on yourself.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

ZeroAX posted:

I can only speak for the first expansion, but it's pretty great- lots of interesting tiles, rough roads/evil machinations cards are hilarious, and the new ship boards you get are good to shuffle up with the normal boards so some players' trips are a bit tougher.

It's not required by any means, but I couldn't really imagine playing without the expansion stuff at this point.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I've only ever had one bad game of Galaxy Trucker, and that was our fault for trying to introduce too much new expansion content at the same time. Whatever you do, do it gradually as you start to desire more challenge and variety.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scyther posted:

I've only ever had one bad game of Galaxy Trucker, and that was our fault for trying to introduce too much new expansion content at the same time. Whatever you do, do it gradually as you start to desire more challenge and variety.
Pretty much this. Both expansions are highly modular, and the trick is to take it one step at a time…

…and keeping the additional parts separate between sessions, should you want to scale back and just do a vanilla game. That said, it's only really tricky with the ship part tiles, and they're also the easiest ones to introduce in big chunks (and most of them, like laser-engines and battery-cargoholds are self-explanatory).

If you just toss everything in, make sure to look at the rules for adjusting the pile of parts to the number of players. With too many parts and too many different options, it quickly becomes a bit too easy to just toss stuff back into the pile and hope for something better that fits properly.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Alright I'll pick up the anniversary edition then. Only problem is finding a place that has it in stock for a decent price.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

bobvonunheil posted:

Oh hey it's Panic Station, I remember that game

I've been playing that lately. It has some major flaws where the game can end in a stalemate (where players don't even know it, because they don't know if the cards necessary to win the game are in the draw pile somewhere or if they're in dead players' hands) but it's fun for My First Traitor Game. Trying to get my friends I've been playing with to upgrade to Battlestar Galactica though, it sounds like a much better way of scratching the same itch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Panic Station's biggest strength is that it comes with enough components that it can serve as a makeshift version of The Resistance. I think my group even played it that way once or twice.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

goferchan posted:

I've been playing that lately. It has some major flaws where the game can end in a stalemate (where players don't even know it, because they don't know if the cards necessary to win the game are in the draw pile somewhere or if they're in dead players' hands) but it's fun for My First Traitor Game. Trying to get my friends I've been playing with to upgrade to Battlestar Galactica though, it sounds like a much better way of scratching the same itch.

If your group digs Panic Station, they'll really love BSG. My group has had some very animated playthroughs of PS, and when we finally had our first playthrough of BSG, a couple of players nearly came to blows.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to pick up games my wife enjoys. Does anyone have opinions on either of the Walking Dead games?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Verdugo posted:

I'm trying to pick up games my wife enjoys. Does anyone have opinions on either of the Walking Dead games?

I haven't really heard positive things about either of them.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Verdugo posted:

Shut Up and Sit Down did a walking dead review, and it wasn't favorable at all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

pakman posted:

Shut Up and Sit Down did a walking dead review, and it wasn't favorable at all.
This is exceptionally damning, because SU&SD love absolutely everything.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Man, The Great Zimbabwe was painful. 5 new players, and our teacher didn't explain/messed up some of the rules. We decided to give up after at least 2 hours of slogging through, and victory would have taken at least one more. Now that I finally figured out all the rules, I can see it being a pretty interesting game, but that was just bad. I think it would be an excellent PC game because of all the spatial stuff you have to keep track of for every single piece; it's pretty exhausting and causes a lot of AP.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
IronDie is way more complicated than you'd think for a game that's based around fancy dice. The targeting and interaction is pretty detailed and the rules could use some definite polish. I'm rocking a red/orange set and I'm really enjoying it, despite the learning curve, though. The strategy is really deep and it's a very 'get in your opponent's head' kind of game.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
Played 7 Wonders tonight with a group of seven people, none of whom had ever played the game before. It was a blast! I can see how the card knowledge would quickly give veteran players an advantage over newbies, but everyone had a lot of fun, it was simple to learn, and it played rather quickly. Definitely going to be added to the list of "semi-filler" games that I'm sure will be broken out once or twice a month.

Now to the more difficult task of bringing Dominant Species into the mix. And Mage Knight. And Galaxy Trucker, if I can ever find a good price on a copy.

Oddly, Space Alert is the only highly recommended game that I do not own. This clearly needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Played Legendary tonight, got pulled into a group that was just popping the box. Was really a fun game. I happen to like Marvel so that was a plus going into it. We had Emma Frost, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Captain America, and Deadpool. We were up against Dr. Doom. We started out playing for victory points, but it started to become obvious that we were going to lose or draw as our wounds started to dry up and we were down to a handful of henchmen. We banded together and managed to beat Dr. Doom in the nick of time.

The game was so good that I'm sorely tempted to buy a copy - it would be my very first deck-building game so that saying something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Verdugo posted:

All games licensed from TV shows are terrible rush jobs made to cash in on what may be a fleeting popularity. The only ones I've ever heard anyone say anything good about are the US Buffy game, which I've never played, and the Battlestar Galactica CCG, which was actually pretty good mechanically but ruined by horrible balance issues.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Jedit posted:

All games licensed from TV shows are terrible rush jobs made to cash in on what may be a fleeting popularity. The only ones I've ever heard anyone say anything good about are the US Buffy game, which I've never played, and the Battlestar Galactica CCG, which was actually pretty good mechanically but ruined by horrible balance issues.

The Battlestar Galactica boardgame and the Game of Thrones boardgame (licensed from the books :smaug:) both own.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

black metal hugbox posted:

The Battlestar Galactica boardgame and the Game of Thrones boardgame (licensed from the books :smaug:) both own.

Game of Thrones needs a houserule or two to really shine though.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
What do you have in mind? We've played it a few times, and there was nothing obvious we could think of (although anything that speeds the game up is fine!)

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Yoshimo posted:

What do you have in mind? We've played it a few times, and there was nothing obvious we could think of (although anything that speeds the game up is fine!)

If you are playing with less than 6 people, make the unoccupied areas impassable instead of conquerable by the right number of units (except Eyre and King's Landing) Some people also replace Lannister with Tyrell in the four player game to prevent Lannister from effectively being right in the middle of every other player.

There's also this PDF, which provides a bunch of starting setups for whichever houses you want to play as.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 17, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I learned that I'm just as awful at Puerto Rico as I am at Agricola. Coincidence?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Jedit posted:

The Buffy game is the game that got me into "good" board games. It's kind of like if Last Night On Earth had one player act as all of the Bad Guys, and there was a bunch of different scenarios and win conditions. Also, like if LNOE was a better game. If my wife's copy wasn't so well played, I'm sure it would leave our apartment and see more players but it's falling to pieces.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

bobvonunheil posted:

If you are playing with less than 6 people, make the unoccupied areas impassable instead of conquerable by the right number of units (except Eyre and King's Landing) Some people also replace Lannister with Tyrell in the four player game to prevent Lannister from effectively being right in the middle of every other player.

There's also this PDF, which provides a bunch of starting setups for whichever houses you want to play as.

I'm pretty sure that with less than 6 players, the other house areas are made impassable already in the rules.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

The End posted:

I'm pretty sure that with less than 6 players, the other house areas are made impassable already in the rules.

Only with 3 players. The other house areas can be conquered with 4 or more players.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Yep, and Spartacus is pretty solid, too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The End posted:

Nope. Check here, page 28.

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 17, 2013

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Sup BG thread, hadn't posted in a while because I haven't been playing as many board games as I would like.

I checked back the last 5 pages or so to see if anyone had mentioned Seasons. I just picked it up as it fit the criteria my fiancé and I set for games we play a lot: ~1 playing time, lots of replayability/diversity, and plays well at 2players. Also, cool art, which is always something that hooks me.

I've only played a handful of games so far, but Im very impressed. Great components and very cool design. Its got elements of worker placement, deck building, and drafting, as well as a mutable VP score (crystals) that determines the winner.

At the start of the game, players draw 9 cards off the top of the deck, and draft a card and pass the rest to the right. It goes on til everyone has 9 cards. You then break your 9 cards into 3 sets, each one a year in game time. You take the first 3 and start the game from there, playing the cards to gain bonuses and help gain crystals, which are VPs.

Each of the games 3 years is broken into 4 seasons, which correspond with an element of energy. You can transmute your energy into crystals, but the payout is based on the season you are in and the type of energy. So careful planning multiple turns ahead can net you huge gains when you transmute a big pile of summer (earth) energy in winter, for example.

Each season has as set of dice that are rolled, which creates the actions that each player can choose from for that round.

I don't want to say I highly recommend the game YET, but it has caught our attention and we have played it 4 times already in the span of 2.5 days. So more than likely it will end up one of our favorites. The large amount of cards that come in the base set (50 unique cards w some duplicates) should give it a lot of longevity with us.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I adored Seasons for about a week (it's on Boardgame Arena if you didn't know), and then it started to get progressively worse in the "hope you get the stuff you need [be it cards or dice rolls], and hope your opponent's Chalice doesn't chain into a bunch of amazing stuff randomly" category. Which is fine, my group just doesn't really dig that sort of thing so we slowly migrated away from it. It is a very pretty game, and the fae theme is really novel.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I played 1830, Mage Wars, Archiplego and Antiquity yesterday.

1830 is pretty stellar for a 25-year old game with a premise similar to Monopoly's (make the most money, rob companies blind). To me, running track and building good rail companies is not nearly as awesome as the part of the game where you strip a company blind of its assets and bankrupt other players through mischievous stock market manipulation.

I like Mage Wars a lot too although the four-player free-for-all we played was not as great an experience as two-player. I got eliminated early on and then the rest of the players called it early after that.

After Mage Wars came one of the better game of Archipelago I've played. That game is one where you really need to have the table in a particular mindset that the game is both cooperative and yet not. For the medium game we played, everyone was indeed in that peculiar mindset and managing to collectively stave off everyone losing while at the same time competing properly against each other. Between the crazy mix of mechanics going into it, I've really come to feel that Archipelago less of a Euro and more of...something else. The game may have the basic foundation of euro mechanics, but the way the victory conditions and the rebels drive the game changes everything. I can't say this is a game for everyone, but for those who can get into, Archipelago will shine.

Finally I played a game of Antiquity. This was my third time playing, and the first time where the game ended due to a victory (mine) and not everyone losing to famine, pollution, and crucial resource mismanagement. Antiquity is a brutal, brutal game. It's like if someone took Agricola's harvesting mechanic, made it happen every turn instead of after a few turns, and then too boot action spaces were limited uses. It's a tough game, and more than a little fiddly, but beyond all that Antiquity is a really neat, clever experience with a lot of cool mechanics going on and a lot of great strategic potential. Moreso, it revealed to me that a euro with a feel of "multiplayer solitaire" is much more fun when you're struggling to survive at the skin of your teeth rather than freely doing whatever you want at the cost of a lower score. The fact that you can actually get eliminated in Antiquity is telling enough!

So, four great games in one day. Pretty good.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Aside from our weekly gatherings with our group, I've been playing Android: Netrunner with one of my friends regularly. We both used to play a bunch of CCG's back in the day, until we got burnt out of selling our souls for more cards. We both loved the LCG angle and now are thinking of grabbing other LCGs to add variety. After looking at the introductory and gameplays videos, we are thinking of grabbing the Star Wars LCG and Game of Thrones LCG. Any last minute warnings or recommendations that we should grab instead?

Lord of the Rings LCG looks interesting but we are not sure how long the playing against an AI part can keep being interesting. Similarly Warhammer LCG looks visually great but it also looks a bit simple.

(I'm also planning to grab Mage Wars soon, though not really an LCG and only semi-related to the topic above, it's probably worth mentioning)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ LOTR LCG remains interesting because you can try different tactics to beat the scenarios, which in turn vary so wildly that it often doesn't feel like the same game. You can also play in Campaign mode, where you try to beat all nine scenarios in a campaign using the same deck.

Neither GOT game counts; they were both released long before there was a series.

I'd forgotten the BSG boardgame. People do say it's good, but they also say it hurts badly if you don't have the exact right number of people. It's also a rare exception to the rush job rule - the show was practically over before it was released.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

echoMateria posted:

Game of Thrones LCG

I found the GoT LCG pretty lame. Unless you are playing with 4 people it is pretty meh in my opinion. I like the alliance portion of the 4 player the most.

Also House Stark is OP if you just have the base set by a wide margin we found.

Maybe try some games on OCTGN before you pull trigger? That goes for all your choices really :)

• Locked thread