Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Gianthogweed posted:

I agree that Visions of Angels, though a good song, is probably the weakest on the album, but White Mountain is my favorite song on that album. How many songs are written about a wolf fighting his way to the top of the pack? It's one of the only tracks from this album that they played live after Gabriel left. Stagnation is another awesome song from the album. I like to think of Trespass as a reverse "In the Court of the Crimson King". It's mostly a quiet and pleasant album, with one track that rocks harder than anything else heard at the time. Only, King Crimson put Schizoid Man up front, while Genesis put The Knife at the end. You can tell how influenced they were by King Crimson. Genesis was probably a good indication of KC might have sounded like if that first lineup stayed together. When Tony Banks bought KC's mellotron, Genesis inherited more than KC's keyboard.

Honestly there's not a single track on Trespass I dislike, something I can't even say about Selling England. I only feel White Mountain is comparatively weaker as it's a bit too simplistic and somewhat un-Genesislike compared to the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I did preview some of the "From Genesis To Revelation" on iTunes and I have to admit that it's not nearly not as bad as I was led to believe. I may actually pick it up, although I have no intentions of becoming a Genesis completionist. Heck, I'm not even a Rush completionist, and I live in Canada :canada:

Anyways, having said that - I asked previously about vintage prog recommendations and I got some really good suggestions. So now, how about modern prog? I don't own any currently, except I guess that one Neal Morse album. So please, feel free to suggest awesome modern prog stuff that I can add to my iTunes wishlist!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

I did preview some of the "From Genesis To Revelation" on iTunes and I have to admit that it's not nearly not as bad as I was led to believe. I may actually pick it up, although I have no intentions of becoming a Genesis completionist. Heck, I'm not even a Rush completionist, and I live in Canada :canada:

Anyways, having said that - I asked previously about vintage prog recommendations and I got some really good suggestions. So now, how about modern prog? I don't own any currently, except I guess that one Neal Morse album. So please, feel free to suggest awesome modern prog stuff that I can add to my iTunes wishlist!

Porcupine Tree and Opeth are both huge in the modern prog scene. Check out In Absentia and Damnation.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Try Anathema, they have been one of my favourites since I discovered them. They are kind of in a place between alt rock and prog though. I also want to throw Karnivool in, they have some great tunes. Also Tool.

\/\/\/ I think Weather Systems is their most consistently good release but WHBH is ok too. Agree with Lateralus, but anything post-Undertow is great I think.

As for Karnivool, Sound Awake (http://youtu.be/FE7MLpHZvkw). Themata is less proggy and more heavy.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 30, 2013

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

david puddy posted:

Try Anathema, they have been one of my favourites since I discovered them. They are kind of in a place between alt rock and prog though. I also want to throw Karnivool in, they have some great tunes. Also Tool.

For Anathema, try We're Here Because We're Here, and for Tool check out Lateralus.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sounds good, how about Dream Theater? Any must-haves from them? Also, I see this Steven Wilson fellow posted here and there but admittedly I know nothing about him...any recommendations? Finally, I've also - because of Neal Morse - heard of Spock's Beard, so any recommendations for them would be appreciated too.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Sounds good, how about Dream Theater? Any must-haves from them? Also, I see this Steven Wilson fellow posted here and there but admittedly I know nothing about him...any recommendations? Finally, I've also - because of Neal Morse - heard of Spock's Beard, so any recommendations for them would be appreciated too.

Steven Wilson is the driving force behind Porcupine Tree, though I'd recommend his 3 solo albums and Storm Corrosion as well. Dream Theater were my entry point and I have kind of worn them out from overplaying but they are a very good band. The usual entry points are Images & Words and Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory but Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is my favourite album by them.

\/\/\/ the majority are wrong :colbert:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 30, 2013

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

david puddy posted:

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is my favourite album by them.

:respek:

Me too, I think we're in the minority opinion on that one though.

For DT definitely check out Awake, it's one of their older albums and it's great.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006
A bit obscure, but Maudlin of the Well is easily my favourite modern prog band. Their most recent album is available for free on their website.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
The new Riverside is good modern prog. Not sure if it's prog enough for this thread though.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Just discovered this

Yes performs Watcher of the Skies with Peter Gabriel in 1970:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwYw0Lci3XU

Here's the story behind it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EJePFf9xgg

Made me laugh. Honestly it was a great idea for this band, got them some instant exposure as well as good fun pranking youtube commenters.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Mellomeh posted:

A bit obscure, but Maudlin of the Well is easily my favourite modern prog band. Their most recent album is available for free on their website.

and some of what's his face's other works like Kayo Dot and he's guested with a couple bands like Secret Chiefs 3

but really check anything with Kavus Torabi. Guapo, Chrome Hoof, obviously he was in Cardiacs for a bit which is as much 70s prog as it is any other but it's also one of the best prog bands to ever exist, etc

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I went to the Gavin Harrison drum clinic in Chicago last night. It was absolutely fantastic! That man is amazing. But, to add some substance to this, he mentioned that he is currently working on a Big Band record that, based on what he played last night, will be mostly arrangements of Porcupine Tree tunes. Included will be: Futile, Start of Something Beautiful, and a giant medley (he refused to say the songs that were involved, but I think I heard Anesthetize, and a few songs off of In Absentia...

I can't wait to hear more about this!!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Prog Doctor posted:

I went to the Gavin Harrison drum clinic in Chicago last night. It was absolutely fantastic! That man is amazing. But, to add some substance to this, he mentioned that he is currently working on a Big Band record that, based on what he played last night, will be mostly arrangements of Porcupine Tree tunes. Included will be: Futile, Start of Something Beautiful, and a giant medley (he refused to say the songs that were involved, but I think I heard Anesthetize, and a few songs off of In Absentia...

I can't wait to hear more about this!!

oh my god, yes

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Speaking of Jonathan King (going a little off topic here but I can't resist), I just found out he was in jail for diddling teenage boys in the 80s, but has since been released on parole, still claiming innocence. He even made a musical/documentary about it called Vile Pervert:

http://www.vilepervert.com/

I haven't had a reaction like this since I listened to Macabre's Jeffery Dahmer Murder Musical.

His musical style hasn't changed at all in 50 years.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 2, 2013

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The video for the title track of Steven Wilson's new album is available, done by the same artist who did the Storm Corrosion "Drag Ropes" video:

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/video-gaga/exclusive-porcupine-tree-steven-wilson-releases-debut-video-180525498.html

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
In the new issue of Mojo, there is a cool interview of Fripp.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Awesome, I'll definitely have to check out that interview.

I finally got around to listening to Diagonal's new album, "The Second Mechanism" (ordered it in December, didn't get it at my door until a couple days ago). I really enjoyed it. It's not as intense as their debut, but it's very easy to listen to - even with non-prog people around. I like the new singer, even if he only got to sing about a minute worth of vocals. And they didn't disappoint with crazy time signatures (or a phrasing with multiple time signatures) that took me a minute to work my mind around. I wouldn't say it's as good as their debut, but it's a very solid follow up.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Prog Doctor posted:

I finally got around to listening to Diagonal's new album, "The Second Mechanism" (ordered it in December, didn't get it at my door until a couple days ago). I really enjoyed it. It's not as intense as their debut, but it's very easy to listen to - even with non-prog people around. I like the new singer, even if he only got to sing about a minute worth of vocals. And they didn't disappoint with crazy time signatures (or a phrasing with multiple time signatures) that took me a minute to work my mind around. I wouldn't say it's as good as their debut, but it's a very solid follow up.
Good call! These guys strike me as a mix between The Future Kings of England, Goblin, and maybe a dash of Univers Zero.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

So please, feel free to suggest awesome modern prog stuff that I can add to my iTunes wishlist!

Theres been a lot of suggestions, but heres a few more.

When looking into Porcupine Tree, make sure you delve into the early years as well as the "band" years. Metanoia, The Sky Moves Sideways, Up The Downstairs, and Voyage 34 cover Steven Wilson pretty much on his own, and are each amazing odes to Pink Floyd inspired psychadelic. The later albums are Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, and The Incident. The differences between the early and later years are night and day, and each phase of the band deserves listening.

If you like the later years, try looking into Demians, The Pineapple Thief, Riverside, Frost*, indukti, and kinda-sorta-proggy Katatonia and Anathema. (some of this has been mentioned already, just seconding it all)

I admittedly don't know much metal, but for quite some time Pain of Salvation were viewed as great up and comers, releasing a handful of really good concept albums, then they sort jumped the shark. Beardfish is gaining a lot of traction - especially their last two albums, which are this sort of Stoner / Sludge / Prog. Goons seem to love Haken, but I don't get it.

If you like droning soundscapes and vocals, try Oceansize.

And one of my favorites which literally nobody listens to but I have to plug, Pure Reason Revolution. Their earlier stuff was a lot more proggy, then more and more electronica crept in, then they broke up :(

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions, I also got some good recommendations by looking at the list of the Top Prog Albums over at the prog archive site. A lot of the european stuff isn't on itunes but I have enough to keep me busy for now. Also, somewhere on that site, I stumbled upon a band called Oblivion Sun and their album is really quite good. And even though it was one of the "vintage" recommendations, I also picked up Sheherazade by Renaissance and it's a really fantastic album. I'd even recommend it to people who aren't into prog.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Myrmidongs posted:

And one of my favorites which literally nobody listens to but I have to plug, Pure Reason Revolution. Their earlier stuff was a lot more proggy, then more and more electronica crept in, then they broke up :(

I remember reading that Rick Wakeman listen(ed) to PRR. Their first album was alright.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Speaking of Rick Wakeman, I am listening to Close To The Edge by Yes for the second time (but the first time I've paid attention completely). I really like it, a lot better than Fragile. That album is so all over the place I struggle to make it through the whole thing in one sitting.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Yeah CTTE is a lot more focused and cohesive than Fragile. I like to think of Fragile as a 4 track EP with a few solo bonus tracks mixed in. I listen to just those main band tracks 90% of the time.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Myrmidongs posted:

PRR was great. I loved all of their albums, and I'm really sad to see them go. I was really looking forward to years of new stuff by both them and Oceansize, and seeing them both go at around the same time really sucked. Luckily, some of the Oceansize guys are doing something else. Hopefully it's almost as good. Wish the PRR people would do something else similar enough. PRR's sound was so unique.

I'd like to recommend Gazpacho, specifically Night and Tick Tock. I'm really addicted to them now. They finally clicked with me, and I ended up buying a bunch of their CDs and listening to them over and over again. First day I really sat and listened to night I listened about 6 or 7 times and ordered the CD that day (was listening originally on Mog. That's where I saw there was a remaster and got curious). Really great band once they click.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Iucounu posted:

Yeah CTTE is a lot more focused and cohesive than Fragile. I like to think of Fragile as a 4 track EP with a few solo bonus tracks mixed in. I listen to just those main band tracks 90% of the time.
Man, I am so glad I am not the only person that thinks this.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Would Uriah Heep count as prog? I figure any (non-power metal) band that sings about wizards has to at least have its foot in the prog door.

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on Coheed and Cambria? I know I've read reviews that put them down as pretentious, but I think that kind of misses the point. Making fun of prog for being too pretentious is like making fun of Frank Zappa for being too sarcastic or KISS for being too gimmicky.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I think Coheed & Cambria can put some good songs out but I don't enjoy any of their albums as a whole. I have their whole catalogue except The Afterman: Descension and I only listen to probably two songs from each regularly and there are some I can't stand to listen to at all (see pretty much the whole of Second Stage Turbine Blade).

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Would Uriah Heep count as prog? I figure any (non-power metal) band that sings about wizards has to at least have its foot in the prog door.

Uriah Heep is smoking in the yard of the prog house.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Iucounu posted:

I like it all except for Cans and Brahms. But even that I don't feel the need to skip, it's short and pleasant enough, if not a bit cheesy. Five Per Cent For Nothing is 30 seconds of jazz fusion that goes nowhere, but it's still pretty cool. We Have Heaven is catchy as hell, and a fun little trip. The Fish is awesome, and I can't listen to Long Distance Runaround without it. But the best solo track is, by far, Mood For a Day. When I first started listening to Yes, it was my favorite song.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seventh Arrow posted:

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on Coheed and Cambria? I know I've read reviews that put them down as pretentious, but I think that kind of misses the point. Making fun of prog for being too pretentious is like making fun of Frank Zappa for being too sarcastic or KISS for being too gimmicky.

Any band that can get away with Magician's Birthday is prog in some way.

Coheed is a group I respect, but I inevitably prefer their three-minute singles to their six-minute album tracks.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

RDreamer posted:

Wish the PRR people would do something else similar enough. PRR's sound was so unique.

Chloë Alper, one of the members of PRR, is releasing a solo album this year, so that's something.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Slate Action posted:

Chloë Alper, one of the members of PRR, is releasing a solo album this year, so that's something.

That's cool. I had seen she had a project, but didn't know about any solid releases. Unfortunately, though, I think Jon Courtney wrote most of their music, so it's bound to be pretty different.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

RDreamer posted:

That's cool. I had seen she had a project, but didn't know about any solid releases. Unfortunately, though, I think Jon Courtney wrote most of their music, so it's bound to be pretty different.

She actually has a song out already if you want to hear it: Juno

It's on the soundtrack to an upcoming movie. I don't know if this song will be on her upcoming album.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

I would put them in the same tweener bucket as Wishbone Ash and Family. "Salisbury" is a pretty good attempt at a prog epic, but it doesn't sound like anything else they ever did.

Edit: "July Morning" is really nice as well - it is considered their "Stairway to Heaven". And for the sake of prog chops, Manfred Mann appears, performing a cool Moog solo towards the end.

Cory and Trevor fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 18, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Myrmidongs posted:

I admittedly don't know much metal, but for quite some time Pain of Salvation were viewed as great up and comers, releasing a handful of really good concept albums, then they sort jumped the shark.

How many of their non-Remedy Lane albums have held up over time? I'm worried it'll all come across as all a bit dated now.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

LordPants posted:

How many of their non-Remedy Lane albums have held up over time? I'm worried it'll all come across as all a bit dated now.

Every single one of their albums up through "Be" is a masterpiece, and they all hold up fantastically well. Just imagine that they ceased to exist after 2004 and you'll be fine.
For instance, here is a track from their live acoustic album 12:5 (the original is on their debut).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1wUieYlaq8

And a few more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f47atyeCmrE (debut album Entropia)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSrGoMKdkrE (second album One Hour By the Concrete Lake)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjrtKcPuvA8 (third album The Perfect Element Part I, generally considered to tie with Remedy Lane (fourth album) as their best, and the reason Scarsick was so disappointing (it was billed as The Perfect Element Part II))

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 18, 2013

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Iucounu posted:

The solo stuff is like 10 minutes total - even less if you discount "The Fish" as part of "Long Distance Runaround". I agree that "Cans & Brahms" is kinda stupid but it's a really good album as a whole.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

RDreamer posted:

I'd like to recommend Gazpacho, specifically Night and Tick Tock. I'm really addicted to them now. They finally clicked with me, and I ended up buying a bunch of their CDs and listening to them over and over again. First day I really sat and listened to night I listened about 6 or 7 times and ordered the CD that day (was listening originally on Mog. That's where I saw there was a remaster and got curious). Really great band once they click.

Their latest album, March of Ghosts, is also very good. Night was my introduction to Gazpacho and I can't wait to get my hands on the remaster.

carborexic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

LordPants posted:

The Perfect Element is infinitely relistenable and one of the best albums I've ever heard. Road Salt One has a certain charm to it but I'm not really into their other modern output besides that.