Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Nulled Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. I really enjoyed the first 6 hours or so of my Ork run but after eliminating two of the other races it started to seem like kind of an unfun slog and the same skirmish over and over again. And then I ran up against a level-6 territory of Imperial Guards which shouldn't have even been that hard, since I'd already cleared two level-10 "home" territories without too much trouble, but somehow after multiple tries I just couldn't figure out how to take out even one of the IG bases before they overwhelmed my Orky army with a million little pew-pew guardsmen. Seriously spent about 4 hours trying to beat that one territory and then realized I wasn't having fun anymore and life's too short.

On to Borderlands 2 and also I've been getting back into Starcraft 2 laddering in preparation for Heart of the Swarm. (Also Kragger99 gifted me Batman: AA so that's in the mix too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

"Impire" is out Thursday. I wasn't aware of this game until today, until a friend of mine told me about it. He very much hopes this game is a proper spiritual successor to the Dungeon Keeper game- I think he's still carrying a lot of bitterness over Dungeons for that matter.

Anyone here have any better info on this game past what can be found on Steam or Wikipedia? If this really is looking to be the 'DK3' many have waited for, I'll be thrilled too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lamacq posted:

Nulled Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. I really enjoyed the first 6 hours or so of my Ork run but after eliminating two of the other races it started to seem like kind of an unfun slog and the same skirmish over and over again. And then I ran up against a level-6 territory of Imperial Guards which shouldn't have even been that hard, since I'd already cleared two level-10 "home" territories without too much trouble, but somehow after multiple tries I just couldn't figure out how to take out even one of the IG bases before they overwhelmed my Orky army with a million little pew-pew guardsmen. Seriously spent about 4 hours trying to beat that one territory and then realized I wasn't having fun anymore and life's too short.
You've just summed up my experience with the campaign of Dawn of War. With every race. Repeatedly.

It's not just you.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Might and Magic 6 is ridonkulously huge, even though it keeps feeling kind of cramped. I'm starting to get to the point where I have more skill points than I know what to do with (time to start branching out my characters, I guess), but I've been playing for three weeks and according to my spoiler checklist I am at best only half done with the game :byodood:

I think in terms of hours of play per dollar spent that Might and Magic 6-pack was one of my most efficient purchases.

I'm also about halfway through Trine 2 and Closure, but those have been getting neglected now that I'm starting to get the more absurd world mobility in MM6 and can casually go wreck a dungeon in an evening.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Beat the original Crysis. It was okay. It seemed to not run as smoothly as a lot of other games that look just as good. But it did have all sorts of neat little details. I liked the first 2/3rds of the game a lot better than the ending. The aliens they tease throughout the beginning aren't very entertaining to fight, and there's not nearly as much opportunity for creatively approaching situations once they start fighting you. But overall, the game wasn't bad, and I'll probably find time to tackle Crysis Warhead in the nearish future. I've heard the campaign is superior and it runs a little smoother, and its also shorter, all 3 things that I appreciate.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Lamacq posted:

On to Borderlands 2 and also I've been getting back into Starcraft 2 laddering in preparation for Heart of the Swarm. (Also Kragger99 gifted me Batman: AA so that's in the mix too)

On occasion, if you take too much time on one map, the AI gets an unlimited amount of resources and does everything possible to flat your base, constantly making forces as if you were meant to lose the match.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Views: :suicide: :shrek: :yosbutt: :smugwizard:

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Colon V posted:

So, what you're saying is that you gave up because you didn't read the directions.

Seriously. I like Eversion a lot, and stopping on the second level is kinda nuts, because you've barely seen anything at that point. There are some spots that require pretty precise jumping, but I got all but one of the endings without too much trouble.

Nulled Eufloria, for the time being. It's neat, but there's no real good way to discern how effective your swarm of guys will be in an attack until they're already committed. If they end up getting slaughtered, it's pretty much a case of too bad, so sad, and you're stuck doing nothing for three or four minutes while your forces regenerate. I may go back to it at some point down the road, but having that happen a couple of times was enough to sour me on it for now.

Beat Darwinia. That is a rad game. The aesthetic design works so well, it's easy to forget that it came out eight years ago. The difficulty ramps up pretty nicely, never reaching the point where you'll want to beat your head against the wall but still making you work for a victory.

Working on Bioshock 2. I've only been able to slowly whittle away at this a little each morning due to work/school/life in general, but I'm liking it quite a bit so far. Looking forward to Minerva's Den once I finish up the main game.

Not on Steam, but I beat 999 with the true ending. Meh. It was fine, and in general I thought the plot was neat, but it wasn't written all that well. It just felt needlessly verbose at times, which I kinda feel is a problem with the visual novel genre as a whole. I'm also halfway through the second-to-last tier of puzzles in Crashmo, and it's been loving great. I liked Pushmo a lot, and this is even better. Harder, yes, but more rewarding, and I feel like I'm actually working out the solutions to puzzles a lot more than I did in Pushmo, where I was pushing and pulling things until the solution just sorta fell into my lap.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Beat Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Views: :suicide: :shrek: :yosbutt: :smugwizard:

So it's actually that bad, huh?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Zedicus Mann posted:

So it's actually that bad, huh?

I think it has a great dancing act:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhjqaQ

Otherwise, you are probably aware how most of the gaming world, both players and the press, are out for blood against Gearbox for wasting a huge amount of publisher funds for six years basically doing nothing but their own games and then outsourcing the mess they had to the first lower bidder they could find. Yeah, it is actually that bad.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
One suggestion for us brave folks finishing games: can you post the average time it took you to complete it (Steam tracks that) and, when applicable, which difficulty setting? I find that https://www.howlongtobeat.com usually reports much shorter times than the real average length of a game.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

DoctorOfLawls posted:

One suggestion for us brave folks finishing games: can you post the average time it took you to complete it (Steam tracks that) and, when applicable, which difficulty setting? I find that https://www.howlongtobeat.com usually reports much shorter times than the real average length of a game.

Good point. I am terrible at games so I usually add like 20-25% to the mean time from howlongtobeat.com to get an accurate estimate for myself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You... finished it? Good lord, man, Null exists for a reason.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Hexen is friggin depressing I don't know how I played this as a kid. Its like someone airbrushed some fantasy poo poo on the side of a van but they'd run out of all the nice paints so it's all burnt umber and puke green.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Colon V posted:

Hey it was short and really goddamn easy so that helps.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Hexen is friggin depressing I don't know how I played this as a kid. Its like someone airbrushed some fantasy poo poo on the side of a van but they'd run out of all the nice paints so it's all burnt umber and puke green.

I've tried so many times over the years to play Hexen but I just can't. It's boring, ugly and confusing and just a slog and a half.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Finished Bulletstorm on Hard, in about 9 hours. It is a very fun, mindless, ultra-violent shooter with a skillpoint gimmick that awards points for creative killing. Cliche story with plenty of curse words and surprisingly good voice over with quirky dialogue. If you enjoy old school shooters with modern graphics and some gimmicks you will love it.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Yodzilla posted:

I've tried so many times over the years to play Hexen but I just can't. It's boring, ugly and confusing and just a slog and a half.

Funnily enough I just tried Hexen with Zdoom and felt about the same. Though I hosed myself by going somewhere I normally shouldn't have before giving up.
Speaking of, Zdoom is fantastic and with Doom I & II to complete I might finally get around the controls and beat them. I highly recommend it if you're looking to improve the experience.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Finished: Indie Game: The Movie. I don't care if it's a movie, it's got a Steam entry and I watched it. It's a pretty good movie too.

Started: Antichamber :wtc:

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Colon V posted:

Technically it's for multiplayer and other neverending games though. :eng101:

quote:

Null - Not counted in your completion statistics. For games that just don't have a main objective to accomplish. From the classic and endless arcade games to modern casual games, sometimes the journey is not only more important than the destination, it's all there is. But be wary and don't let the timesinks that lurk in here hog all your attention!

Don't let me tell you how to set up your backlog journey though.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Finished: Indie Game: The Movie. I don't care if it's a movie, it's got a Steam entry and I watched it. It's a pretty good movie too.

That reminds me, I think having the Backloggery for my games has conditioned me to want a similar list for other medias. I want to make a list of movies I've watched and haven't watched or music albums I've started, but haven't completely listened to.
Just a weird thought I keep having though.

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 16, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really need to stop picking up games and focus on one at a time, Jesus.

Beat: Dawn of War II. People complain that it's not a traditional RTS like the predecessor but I liked this game's singleplayer a lot. By the end when I had three sets of terminator armor and a dreadnought I definitely felt like a small killing team.

Beat: Kentucky Route Zero Act 1. This is a neat point-and-click adventure. It's dark, moody, kind of unnerving and has fantastic writing. Can't wait for the rest of the series.

Zedicus Mann posted:

Technically it's for multiplayer and other neverending games though. :eng101:

I also use "null" for games I have no motivation to complete. Keeps them from clogging up my "unfinished" category.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Beat Omerta - City of Gangsters. Had enough fun with it to not be upset about full price. Aside from the final mission there isn't much challenge, but it was enjoyable throughout.

Was going to start Bioshock 2, but it wouldn't authenticate and it's been a complete shitshow. I tried a couple of different things, administrator mode, verifying game files, etc. Even though it failed to authenticate each time, it was burning up my allowable installs and now tells me I've exceeded my limit. If I try to release my authentication, it says the game isn't authenticated. There's a Securom troubleshooting widget that fails to connect to their server and won't update. Emailed support and they've sent me a process for manually authenticating which doesn't apply to Bioshock 2 and when I do the correct manual activation process (stumbled across it from forum posts) it doesn't work because I've exceeded my allowable installs.

I've never had a problem with 3 other Securom games, no dramas with Origin or Games for Windows Live prior to this.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Yodzilla posted:

Hey it was short and really goddamn easy so that helps.

Yeah there is like no guidance on what to do at any point you just have to run around and hit random switches and hope for the best. It's weird because Heretic was so good and pretty much on-par with Doom for me. Then for the sequel they uglied everything up, made the maps super confusing and backtrack-centric and reduced the weapon variety. I know there are multiple classes, but you still only get 4 weapons per playthrough.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It looks like my list of 'bought, never played much' games on Steam includes Batman: Arkham City. Funny, that, I thought I'd played it but I must have stopped after Asylum.

Anything I should know going in to the game? Controller vs keyboard, stuff to do right away, etc?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

It looks like my list of 'bought, never played much' games on Steam includes Batman: Arkham City. Funny, that, I thought I'd played it but I must have stopped after Asylum.

Anything I should know going in to the game? Controller vs keyboard, stuff to do right away, etc?

Keyboard control isn't terrible, but you will have a much better time if you use a controller.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Zedicus Mann posted:

That reminds me, I think having the Backloggery for my games has conditioned me to want a similar list for other medias. I want to make a list of movies I've watched and haven't watched or music albums I've started, but haven't completely listened to.
Just a weird thought I keep having though.

I've been thinking the same thing. I use Goodreads for books I've read/want to read, and Netflix for movies I've watched/want to watch. But why not combine them all into a single platform? I'm not sure if that makes me a bit obsessive about it, though.

Edit: To add some thread-related content. I finally made it to and destroyed Mom's Heart in The Binding of Isaac. I know there's so much more content to this game, but I'd consider it properly beat at this point. I'm not gonna stop playing because it's too drat addicting.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 16, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I should probably have a post here to show my shame. I am a Steam addict. It first really hit home for me last August, when I started grad school and I realized that I simply wasn't going to have enough free time to spend a good chunk of it playing games. Then I spent like 40 bucks over the Steam and Amazon winter sales. They're so cheap, how could I resist?! Between my Steam list and inventory I have 70 games I haven't played or barely touched, and that doesn't include the huge extra amount of games from bundles that I haven't plugged into there, or games that aren't on Steam. Adding those up would surely bring the total over 100.

So anyway, I've sworn off of buying games for the near future until I stop having as embarrassing a pile of bought but unplayed stuff. I recently had a sustained stretch of playing games to completion, which is pretty rare for me.

Avadon: The Black Fortress: I have to start talking about this game by saying that it took me 9 months to finish. I originally got my copy by trading some guy on another forum a handful of worthless coal, didn't start it until April, then played it off-and-on for 60 hours until last month. That said, it was pretty good. It's a well-put-together game in the style of old, top-down RPGs, with turn-based tactical combat, and the plot and writing were fairly good compared to other games of that type. Your character is part of this group of extralegal peacekeepers in service to this military alliance, and you are given missions to put down threats to stability like rebellions, invasions, etc. I thought that it was pretty good at avoiding falling into a trap of making one group or idea "good" and the other "evil." The combat, though, I really didn't like. It moved very slowly, most regular enemies were simple fodder, and there was just too much of it. A good chunk of the boss fights, especially the last few, had huge tanks of health and gimmicks that got in the way of damaging on them. Overall I would have liked it more if it had less (or faster-to-resolve) combat and/or cut out a few of the least plot-relevant missions.

Ys Origin: I think I liked this game a little too much. It's an action RPG where you pick one of a few characters (there's a melee girl, a magic dude, and a third guy you unlock who is a faster melee dude). The combat is really fast and button-mash heavy, and was entertaining enough for me to play the game with all 3 characters. The game has flaws, mostly that the levels are recycled across characters and the plot is kind of dumb, but I enjoyed it a good deal. Playing through the game with one character took me like 9 hours and finishing the game with all three like 30.

Resonance: This was a collaboration between Wadjet Eye and some other group, and I don't know how much the other guys contributed but whatever they did, I thought this game was much better than the Blackwell games or Gemini Rue. I thought it was a fun adventure game with good puzzles (the only bullshit one was when you rewired the door console), fun investigation, and an interesting and enjoyable plot. According to Steam it took me 6 hours.
Also, I just wanted to comment on the voice acting in this game. Wadjet Eye apparently uses the same 5 or so voice actors for every single game they make, and while at first I was annoyed, now it's kind of endearing. There's the guy who plays a sidekick in every game, one guy who voices every black dude, and this girl who does a terrible impression of what she thinks an old lady sounds like whenever the script calls for it. Logan Cunningham has a leading role as a cop in Resonance and while he wasn't as good as he was in Bastion, I think he was easily one of the better actors. There are a handful of his character's more incidental lines that don't sound anything like Cunningham - I guess they forgot to record them and he was too expensive to bring in for another session. Like I said, endearing.

Offspring Fling: I'm marking this one as complete even though I didn't finish all the levels because there's no way I'm going to beat the dev time in the first 110 levels to unlock the last 10. You may own this from the last Humble Bundle, but consider playing it because it's good. The SNES Platformer shtick they do in the trailer is actually pretty accurate to how the game feels. I got as far as I did in 3 hours.

Right now I'm playing one of my unnecessary purchases during the past winter sale, Kingdoms of Alamur: The Reckoning. Honestly I don't think it's very great. The combat is pretty fun and flashy, but I agree with a few posters upthread that the world and a lot of the quests are almost aggressively uninteresting. In the world-building, a lot of the most generic fantasy stereotypes are laid on so heavily that if I didn't know any better I would think it was a parody. It's sort of like an inverse application of Poe's law. I'll probably ignore everything but the critical path or just quit playing soon.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 17, 2013

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Beat Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point and Zodiac Tournament.

Both pretty fun but short. Worth it if you can pick them up for a buck or two.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Shear Modulus posted:

Right now I'm playing one of my unnecessary purchases during the past winter sale, Kingdoms of Alamur: The Reckoning. Honestly I don't think it's very great. The combat is pretty fun and flashy, I agree with a few posters upthread that the world and a lot of the quests are almost aggressively uninteresting. In the world-building, a lot of the most generic fantasy stereotypes are laid on so heavily that if I didn't know any better I would think it was a parody. It's sort of like an inverse application of Poe's law. I'll probably ignore everything but the critical path or just quit playing soon.

This is what I'm doing right now and I can feel my will to even critical path it draining. There's just so much content in the game and it's obvious they put a lot of work into it but absolutely none of it is interesting. The game is easy, combat is fun at first but then you realize how simple it is and it gets mad repetitive and the story telling is just bad. I can't make myself care about any of the characters or the awful setpieces (the "war" you fight against like five people at once is a joke) or the terrible quests. And more than any other game I can think of it really does feel like the entire world is on pause until your character saunters into town to solve everyone's banal problems. HEY CHOSEN ONE COLLECT THESE THREE WATER JUGS AND FLIP A SWITCH FOR ME. How about go gently caress yourself.

And who thought that building a big open world but constraining it along narrow paths like Final Fantasy XIII was a good idea? I'm the Master of Fate and I'm going to change everything OH gently caress A FENCE WELP I GOT NOTHING GOOD LUCK GUYS. At least in Skyrim you have the pleasure of exploring a beautiful world that actually sort of feels like people are living there. You can climb a mountain and jump off a waterfall and just kinda do whatever. Here it feels like you're playing an MMO on an empty server and oh hey you want to jump off that waterfall? Better hope a developer decided to put a jump point in the water or else you're taking the long way around!

e: you win this round Fallen Tree

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 17, 2013

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I know about twelve people who bought KoA and none of them finished it. When you feel you've hit the wall, you have and it is time to move on because it doesn't get any better. There's no 'boring stretch' or world-changing event that makes it interesting. It just keeps puking generic bullshit at you, relying on the combat until even that gives you a headache. Seriously whoever finishes that game gets an endurance award.

Nulled: Scribblenauts Unlimited Yes, it's a fun, cute and well made game. But as a thing to actually finish, its really just a series of simplistic and mildly amusing challenges (though I did win one challenge by feeding a child to a shark, it can get hilariously dark at times). I might beat it eventually but for now it is out of my Active category and into the Standby category

Finished: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Beat this a few times and while I will definitely play it again, it deserves a status similar to my Paradox games, Civilization or Endless Space because it is the type of game you do 'runs' of. So it's in my favorites next to EU3 and PS2.

Right now my Active category consists of Anno 2070 (goal is to finish a triple monument island), The Walking Dead (still just beat one episode), and Antichamber. Looking into adding another game that is more traditional than any of them just for regular bullshit gaming. Will likely be Dead Space or Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I finished Syndicate, though I did it on easy because of reviewer's complaints about difficulty spikes. I honestly had enough "repeating the scenario until I don't die" nonsense with BF3, thank you. The story was okay enough though I'm really getting tired of grungy, depressing futuristic locations after going through DmC, Binary Domain, and now Syndicate all in a row.

Next on my list is, uhhh.. (looks at list of games in chronological order of release) Mass Effect 3.

Well, gently caress.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Here it feels like you're playing an MMO on an empty server and oh hey you want to jump off that waterfall? Better hope a developer decided to put a jump point in the water or else you're taking the long way around!

Unsurprisingly, it was literally a prototype to an MMORPG. Big Huge Games was developing a singleplayer RPG while 38 studios was developing an MMO. When 38 acquired BHG they combined their ideas to create Amalur which was supposed to lead into an eventual MMO release.

Then they went bankrupt, cost Rhode Island tax payers millions, and killed a good company (talking about Big Huge here, I loved Rise of Nations).

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

Right now I'm playing one of my unnecessary purchases during the past winter sale, Kingdoms of Alamur: The Reckoning. Honestly I don't think it's very great. The combat is pretty fun and flashy, I agree with a few posters upthread that the world and a lot of the quests are almost aggressively uninteresting. In the world-building, a lot of the most generic fantasy stereotypes are laid on so heavily that if I didn't know any better I would think it was a parody. It's sort of like an inverse application of Poe's law. I'll probably ignore everything but the critical path or just quit playing soon.

Yodzilla posted:

This is what I'm doing right now and I can feel my will to even critical path it draining. There's just so much content in the game and it's obvious they put a lot of work into it but absolutely none of it is interesting. The game is easy, combat is fun at first but then you realize how simple it is and it gets mad repetitive and the story telling is just bad. I can't make myself care about any of the characters or the awful setpieces (the "war" you fight against like five people at once is a joke) or the terrible quests. And more than any other game I can think of it really does feel like the entire world is on pause until your character saunters into town to solve everyone's banal problems. HEY CHOSEN ONE COLLECT THESE THREE WATER JUGS AND FLIP A SWITCH FOR ME. How about go gently caress yourself.

And who thought that building a big open world but constraining it along narrow paths like Final Fantasy XIII was a good idea? I'm the Master of Fate and I'm going to change everything OH gently caress A FENCE WELP I GOT NOTHING GOOD LUCK GUYS. At least in Skyrim you have the pleasure of exploring a beautiful world that actually sort of feels like people are living there. You can climb a mountain and jump off a waterfall and just kinda do whatever. Here it feels like you're playing an MMO on an empty server and oh hey you want to jump off that waterfall? Better hope a developer decided to put a jump point in the water or else you're taking the long way around!

Chief Savage Man posted:

I know about twelve people who bought KoA and none of them finished it. When you feel you've hit the wall, you have and it is time to move on because it doesn't get any better. There's no 'boring stretch' or world-changing event that makes it interesting. It just keeps puking generic bullshit at you, relying on the combat until even that gives you a headache. Seriously whoever finishes that game gets an endurance award.

Does this make me a total weirdo for loving KoA: Reckoning so much I did every single sidequest in the game? Took me 100+ hours for a single playthrough. Which reminds me, I still haven't finished that last DLC; I should get around to it sometime.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hey I'm not going to rag on anyone for spending time playing what they enjoy but :psyduck:

Is the DLC you're talking about the Teeth of Naros one? I went through the main story in that but was surprised at once again just how much goddamn content there was. At least people who like Amalur got their money's worth out of that one, there's probably at least 10 hours worth of stuff just in there to keep you occupied. Haven't tried the Dead Kel quest though but I see there's another mini-map up in the north-east so I'm assuming that's where it takes place.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I'm glad you enjoyed because I really wanted to.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Add me to the "Loved Kingdoms of Amalur" club. Granted, when I played it on the console, it was because my steam library computer was dead, so my 400+ available games became about 10 (most of which I beat). But still, I definitely had fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bengy81 posted:

Keyboard control isn't terrible, but you will have a much better time if you use a controller.

I'm actually gonna say the opposite of this. The keyboard controls in the Arkham games are just so intuitive that I felt like I was stepping back significantly when I tried to use a controller.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've seen a ton of people say that the gameplay only clicked once they swapped to a controller but nobody saying that, Cleretic. :psyduck:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Maybe it was because I entirely played Asylum with a mouse and keyboard, so I became more used to using the number keys to use gadgets over what the keyboard setup was (which I think was shoulder buttons? It's been a while since I tried).

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I finally got around to playing through Arkham Asylum. It was really good. Very pretty, cinematic, great flavor and the Scarecrow levels were really well done. I thought the game went kinda downhill towards the end, basically from the gardens onward, but it was still enjoyable, and definitely still visually stunning and flavorful. Overall production levels were through the roof, but some shoddy decision making on some aspects prevented it from being a true masterpiece.

edit: holy gently caress. Just realized I stayed up til 4 AM to finish it, so I guess the end game wasn't that bad.

Shovelmint fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

Nulled: Scribblenauts Unlimited Yes, it's a fun, cute and well made game. But as a thing to actually finish, its really just a series of simplistic and mildly amusing challenges (though I did win one challenge by feeding a child to a shark, it can get hilariously dark at times). I might beat it eventually but for now it is out of my Active category and into the Standby category

Don't give up on Scribblenauts Unlimited just yet, I've been playing for 6 hours and have over 63 stars, the nature of the game is that each level is meant to be played in short bursts. So its not completely impossible to get all 106 stars. Just give yourself half an hour every weekend to play it, take a break to play other backlog games do work, and slowly but surely you'll get there.