Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

bidikyoopi posted:

Man talk about half-measures. Not only is there no manual option, but the sheetmetal is last-gen design language. I was kind of hoping this would be a real crazy limited edition, like experimental styling with some innovative features at an absurd (for a Chevy) price. But it's just going to be an expensive G8.

So does it have an LS3 or an LT1? I've seen conflicting reports.

From what I understand, this SS will simply be an updated G8 GXP (LS3, Zeta platform). Then, in 2015.5 they'll come out with a new one, which will be on the Zeta 2 platform with the LT1 engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I like how understated the SS looks. None of the Charger's AAAAAAUGH TRY AND BEAT ME IN A DRAG RACE MOTHERFUCKER styling, just... a boring full-size family sedan. But a properly fast one, and not FWD either.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Friar Zucchini posted:

I like how understated the SS looks. None of the Charger's AAAAAAUGH TRY AND BEAT ME IN A DRAG RACE MOTHERFUCKER styling, just... a boring full-size family sedan. But a properly fast one, and not FWD either.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one and I buy Chrysler products exclusively, the new Charger's styling is a little too over the top for me. I prefer the 300 over it, and the Chevy over both esp the interior and the HUD. However a reminder that the 2013 Charger SRT8 Superbee starts at $42k and the 300C SRT8 Core starts at $44k, with more power than the LS3. So how are they going to price it?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My guess is it'll start at around $30-$35k.

I'm really bummed out at the lack of a manual though. Hopefully there will be a way to import HSV parts and Aussiefy it a bit, though I'm wondering if it'll be like the G8 and need a new engine harness for the MT.

:sigh: If only GM realised they'd sell a shitload of Commodore SS's here; G8's are still incredibly popular up here and are retaining their value annoyingly long.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm really bummed out at the lack of a manual though. Hopefully there will be a way to import HSV parts and Aussiefy it a bit, though I'm wondering if it'll be like the G8 and need a new engine harness for the MT.

:sigh: If only GM realised they'd sell a shitload of Commodore SS's here; G8's are still incredibly popular up here and are retaining their value annoyingly long.

I'd bet it starts at $39k

It's LS3 v8 only, Automatic only, and has leather standard. A similar 2SS camaro is $38k.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Wtf is the point of this car? It's an auto, carry-over G8 with some exterior bit changed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I can't imagine having a use for an extra 95hp with the GT3 (but admittedly I'm yet to drive one, I need to make friends with an owner at some point). The lingering thought is that I'm not driving around in the top model and it's annoying that I'm falling prey to Porsche's lovely marketing department.

Isn't the GT2 the top model?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tusen Takk posted:

From what I've heard, there's a decent chunk of people internally that hated the GTO/G8 and consider it a failure (instead of concluding that Pontiac was a failure that dragged down otherwise viable models), to the point where we had various execs trying to reassure people that the G8 isn't coming back. The decision to release the SS only as a limited edition sounds like a compromise between those two groups.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Cream_Filling posted:

From what I've heard, there's a decent chunk of people internally that hated the GTO/G8 and consider it a failure (instead of concluding that Pontiac was a failure that dragged down otherwise viable models), to the point where we had various execs trying to reassure people that the G8 isn't coming back. The decision to release the SS only as a limited edition sounds like a compromise between those two groups.

They had a contract still with GM Australia that needed to be upheld as well.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

kimbo305 posted:

Isn't the GT2 the top model?

Fair point but I don't really give that car much thought. 600hp from a 3.6l engine is going to have some massive turbo lag and if I was going to spend $140-150k on a car it wouldn't be a Porsche.

Also I can't afford a GT2 so that helps me not care about it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Fair point but I don't really give that car much thought. 600hp from a 3.6l engine is going to have some massive turbo lag and if I was going to spend $140-150k on a car it wouldn't be a Porsche.

Also I can't afford a GT2 so that helps me not care about it.
How effectively can a GT2 RS put 612hp to ground? Is that getting past the point of diminishing returns, where you'd actually be better off with less hp and a lighter car? It's hard to compare 0-60, 1/4 and 'ring times online because there are so many variables, but the numbers just don't seem to show much advantage to the GT2 with any respect beyond sheer top speed, and the GT3 appears to be slightly quicker 0-60.

grover fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 17, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well, there is the whole "turbo Porches don't sound like a box of hammers" (yeah, I went there) that the GT2 has going for it. Whether that's worth £40k or not I guess depends on how well your stock options are performing.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today I saw a Chevy SS parked in a restaurant and oh my god is it sharp. I still prefer the Holden, but this is still very very nice :hawaaaafap:.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
2014 Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG Edition 1

I like it!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Tusen Takk posted:

Today I saw a Chevy SS parked in a restaurant and oh my god is it sharp. I still prefer the Holden, but this is still very very nice :hawaaaafap:.

I really hope the initial news was wrong and this comes with a stick at some point.
I was all set to go get one of these when they came out, and auto only is just going to kill it for me.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Devyl posted:

2014 Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG Edition 1

I like it!

I was digging this until I read that it offers no performance upgrade over the A45 AMG. Not that the car is underpowered in any way, just saying.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Franco Caution posted:

I really hope the initial news was wrong and this comes with a stick at some point.
I was all set to go get one of these when they came out, and auto only is just going to kill it for me.

I really doubt it will; there's low demand for sticks in general at this point, and the market buying this car will be doing so because they really want a GM product that goes well in a straight line that has a real backseat. If you don't have to stick with GM, there are other options; if you don't have to have a real backseat, there are two GM options (including one on the very same platform).

As far as the engine confusion - my money is on LS3, since while GM has relaxed the "Corvette uber alles" rule considerably in recent history, I just don't see them putting the new DI LT1 into any other model. The GenII LT1 was Corvette-only for 1992, the LS1 was Corvette-only for 1997, and the LS3 was Corvette-only in 2008. Looks like the LS2 was the only new engine that was shared outside of the Corvette during the same model year it was introduced, but it was into two other platforms that were using now-discontinued engines (LS1 in the '04 GTO, GenIII 5.3L Vortec in the SSR). They're still making the LS3 for Camaros.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Tusen Takk posted:

You're lowballing to an absurd degree here. A G8 GT with cloth and no options was $29k in 2008, and they were losing money. The GXP (which is basically the same car as the SS) was a $40k car. If this car bases for a dime less than $42k I'll be shocked.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I really doubt it will; there's low demand for sticks in general at this point, and the market buying this car will be doing so because they really want a GM product that goes well in a straight line that has a real backseat. If you don't have to stick with GM, there are other options; if you don't have to have a real backseat, there are two GM options (including one on the very same platform).

As far as the engine confusion - my money is on LS3, since while GM has relaxed the "Corvette uber alles" rule considerably in recent history, I just don't see them putting the new DI LT1 into any other model. The GenII LT1 was Corvette-only for 1992, the LS1 was Corvette-only for 1997, and the LS3 was Corvette-only in 2008. Looks like the LS2 was the only new engine that was shared outside of the Corvette during the same model year it was introduced, but it was into two other platforms that were using now-discontinued engines (LS1 in the '04 GTO, GenIII 5.3L Vortec in the SSR). They're still making the LS3 for Camaros.

drat if that is true Im going to have to pony up and get either a CTS-V used or an ATS-V when that finally comes around.
My hope was since the GXP G8 was available with a stick they would for sure do that again on the SS.
All of those drat G8 GTs running around and not a one of them non auto. :(
I wonder what this will do to the used GXP market which was at insane highs since there were so few of them.

You are right though about sticks being in low demand. I've been trying to test drive a 2.0 ATS with a stick and I've struck out in 3 states.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Q_res posted:

You're lowballing to an absurd degree here. A G8 GT with cloth and no options was $29k in 2008, and they were losing money. The GXP (which is basically the same car as the SS) was a $40k car. If this car bases for a dime less than $42k I'll be shocked.

If they're smart they'll figure out a way to bring it in sub-40, but it's highly unlikely.

edit: by that I mean like 39,8 plus delivery.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 19, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The SS looks nice but I think I prefer the styling of the G8 (the only Pontiac styling I like, and I like it quite a bit). The SS does look a hell of a lot better than the PPV, not that they're selling the PPV on styling. Automatic only is tragic but the target demographic obviously doesn't care.

After seeing the Astra VXR perform on TG yesterday, I can't help but to think it's a shame that GM doesn't have a hot compact in their base lineup. I'm guessing it'd be cost-prohibitive to bring over the VXR, but a Cruze SS makes more sense to me as a product than the Verano Turbo. I've never driven a Cobalt SS or an Ion Redline so I can't speak to history on this.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Motor Authority claims to have pictures of a uncamo'd 991 GT3.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1070204_2014-porsche-911-gt3-spied-completely-undisguised

I really don't like the rear wing. Perhaps you can write Porsche a big enough check to get the cup car wing? If not, I'm hoping they're popular enough that the price of 997 GT3's drop.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Aurune posted:

Motor Authority claims to have pictures of a uncamo'd 991 GT3.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1070204_2014-porsche-911-gt3-spied-completely-undisguised

I really don't like the rear wing. Perhaps you can write Porsche a big enough check to get the cup car wing? If not, I'm hoping they're popular enough that the price of 997 GT3's drop.

Good find. Someone on Rennlist had some new information from an anonymous source today, complete with some pictures and a sound clip: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...-good-news.html

Highlights:

- New engine, not the DFI 9A1 and not the Mezger. They say "motorsports derived" but until it's been endurance raced I doubt anyone buys that claim.
- 9k RPM redline, 3.8L and north of 450hp.
- PDK seems like the only option. Everyone knows by now that manuals are slower around a track and nothing from Ferrari/etc come in manual anymore. This isn't a Cup car though so expect plenty of bitching from people that already have deposits.
- Centerlocks are back, no one is happy about that.
- Massive front brake calipers, guesses are between 380-400mm. 20" wheels, 19" might be the smallest that will clear the brakes.
*Edit: looks like 380mm, same as the Cup car. I think the Cup car runs 18" wheels so that might be possible on the GT3.
- Wide body from the AWD models. Makes me wonder what they'll do for the RS now.

I see it being a step forward in performance but I'm almost afraid that this will reinforce prices on the 997.1/997.2 GT3. The plain 997.1 GT3 has been in a freefall lately with some examples with a few miles going for the low 70s. I was hoping the announcement would help push prices into the 60s this summer, we'll have to see.

Also I can't wait for the C7 Z06 to obliterate the 991 GT3 (and possibly the RS) for half the price and watch the chaos unfold on that forum.

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 19, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Detroit must have a really weird niche going on... G8's and GTO's were/are incredibly popular and manual is increasing in popularity :psyduck:.

Jah after looking at it I'd reckon that you guys are right about the price tag; especially if it's going to be limited edition :sigh:. I've heard about the ATS-V but I don't know much about it other than IT'S COMING SOON WE PROMISE!!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

G8's and GTO's were/are incredibly popular

Not when they were new.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Q_res posted:

Not when they were new.

I dunno mate, I saw them as much as I saw new BMW's when they came out here :shrug:.

I saw another Alfa driving along today. I don't remember what it was called but I would totally buy it.

e; spelling

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 19, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tusen Takk posted:

Detroit must have a really weird niche going on... G8's and GTO's were/are incredibly popular and manual is increasing in popularity :psyduck:.

What?

As for pricing you have to remember the Commodore is an Australian car and cars (all cars) are expensive there compared to the USA. The SS is more than $45,000AUD

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You must have an incredibly low threshold for "wildly popular". 2004 GTOs had huge discounts later on, and they still only managed to sell ~13,500 cars out of a ~15,700 unit production run. They scaled back production for 05/06 and only produced a little over 40k GTOs the entire run. The G8 managed 15k units in a shortened 08 model year and 23k in 2009. The weakest year of Charger sales was over 60k units.

The G8 and GTO were not popular cars, at least not until after they died.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Q_res posted:

I mean in Detroit, this was not the case. They were and still are "wildly popular", though people are starting to trade them in for CTS and XTS's

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

Ummmm yeah.... no. Why you think they stopped selling them and Holden had to redecorate a bunch of Commodore SS's with Pontiac front ends so quick?

quote:

As for pricing you have to remember the Commodore is an Australian car and cars (all cars) are expensive there compared to the USA. The SS is more than $45,000AUD

My SS-V was 55K new. I STILL paid 40K AUD for one two years old (Yeah I paid a bit too much. Sue me, it was in remarkably good condition)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A problem might be that AWD is apparently impossible to implement in the Commodore as it was never designed with it in mind, so the suspension and engine hardpoints are all wrong. AWD is a big deal in many northern climates and both the Ford and Dodge competitors have AWD available.

EDIT: Here's some content

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 19, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That burgundy wagon looks pretty dang nice. The grille/lights/hood are a bit too Chrysler 200, but the side view ain't bad at all, even with that silly fender vent.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I see it being a step forward in performance but I'm almost afraid that this will reinforce prices on the 997.1/997.2 GT3.

I see this too, which sucks because they'll hold above what I want to spend on my fun car in the next few years.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

- Centerlocks are back, no one is happy about that.

All I know about this is they look cool and you can change tires faster in a race. What is the negative?

Aurune posted:

On past models I know you can just swap the engine cover "trunk" piece with whatever other model or aftermarket piece you want. With the actuated spoilers I dont know if that is still true.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xguard86 posted:

All I know about this is they look cool and you can change tires faster in a race. What is the negative?

You have to make absolutely drat sure they lock correctly, otherwise your wheels will fall off.

You also have to tighten them to 400NM (seriously), otherwise your wheels will fall off.

And you have to use a special Porsche-only tool to tighten them. The tool comes with the car, thankfully. If you want a spare for the garage or whatever, it's like a million billion dollars.

When I said the tool comes with the car, I mean only the actual socket itself comes with the car. I hope you remembered to buy a torque wrench capable of 400NM and that you bring it everywhere you go in your car. Otherwise you'll need a flatbed the next time you have a flat.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 19, 2013

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
This isn't very exciting news to anyone, but the new Skoda Octavia wagon has been unveiled.

I like it, a lot.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Cat Terrist posted:

Ummmm yeah.... no. Why you think they stopped selling them and Holden had to redecorate a bunch of Commodore SS's with Pontiac front ends so quick?

That had nothing to do with popularity and more with the fact that Pontiac didn't exist anymore.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Kerrow posted:

This isn't very exciting news to anyone, but the new Skoda Octavia wagon has been unveiled.

I like it, a lot.

It's significantly longer than the one it replaces, as usual... Some of use live in cities where a few cm can make the difference between parking close to home or a mile away.
Guess I'll replace mine with a MPV in a few years if all else fails.

Makes me wonder how gigantic the next Superb will be.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

You must have an incredibly low threshold for "wildly popular". 2004 GTOs had huge discounts later on, and they still only managed to sell ~13,500 cars out of a ~15,700 unit production run. They scaled back production for 05/06 and only produced a little over 40k GTOs the entire run. The G8 managed 15k units in a shortened 08 model year and 23k in 2009. The weakest year of Charger sales was over 60k units.

The Charger is a fleet car and that 60K figure reflect that. I have yet to see one that wasn't a rental or a cop car in my neck of the woods. Not saying the G8 was popular (it wasn't) but this isn't a accurate comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe

Jay-Zeus posted:

The Charger is a fleet car and that 60K figure reflect that. I have yet to see one that wasn't a rental or a cop car in my neck of the woods. Not saying the G8 was popular (it wasn't) but this isn't a accurate comparison. Clarification: yet to see any trim in the recent refresh other than SXT or lower - no R/Ts and certainly no SRT8s.

Opps.