Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I would be interested in a new UCS Star Destroyer just because I know they wont use magnets this time. Those things sometimes were so bloody picky and wouldn't work right and half the model would slip off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I need that X-wing. . . I always wanted the old 7191, but based on what I've seen from that box I think it looks like a better set. I would still rape/pillage/plunder to get a 7191, but that set just looks amazing.

On a related note, I was in my local TRU yesterday and saw two new 10212 imperial shuttles, and they were not there a couple weeks ago (I cant remember how long it's been since my last trip there). So, a retired set, just put on the shelf, I almost bought it but 1) it did not have a price on it/near it, and 2) I assumed this meant the set was not retired, although checking lego.com confirms it is retired. Hell, I think even if TRU has it marked up to $250 or so, I could still sell that today for $300+ if I wanted to, or just enjoy the set like I'm supposed to. drat you TRU, my Lego budget is already :lol: this year/month/week. . . I will check back there sometime next week and if they still have on, it's meant to be.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The best part about the new UCS X-Wing is the re-issue of that massive canopy; it was previously one of (if not the) most expensive canopies on BrickLink.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Girlfriend is going to want to kill me for buying the new X-Wing and putting on the book case, but oh well.

So I haven't been able to find Series 9 figures ANYWHERE in the DC Area. Pretty much every Target I've been to and the Lego Store are all sold out and never seem to restock. Not Fair :(

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

AllisonByProxy posted:

Many thanks for the Knights The Rage, now my Lego Firelink Shrine from Dark Souls is one step closer to completion!

Awesome! Glad they made it okay!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

TriggerHappy posted:

I finally have enough room in my new apartment to display the super star destroyer without pissing of my wife, but I was hoping to wait till the end of March for the double points promotion. It already says hard to find on shop.lego.com, does that mean it's going out of production and I should jump on it now?

No, that's the 'retiring soon' category. Hard to find just means your average wal-mart or whatever won't have it in stock.

Crop Top Skank
Apr 4, 2007

It's disappointing to see that they're using a minifig-scale R2 unit again for the new UCS X-Wing (the old one had the same issue). It looks completely ridiculous with that little thing completely dwarfed by the size of the model (like in this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/92090133@N04/8476481324/in/photostream/), and yet they tout it in the press release as a major feature of the set.

vvvvv To my eyes, that picture just proves my point. But to each his own, I guess.

Crop Top Skank fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 16, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dreadbot posted:

It's disappointing to see that they're using a minifig-scale R2 unit again for the new UCS X-Wing (the old one had the same issue). It looks completely ridiculous with that little thing completely dwarfed by the size of the model (like in this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/92090133@N04/8476481324/in/photostream/), and yet they tout it in the press release as a major feature of the set.

Seems about right to me:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Dreadbot posted:

vvvvv To my eyes, that picture just proves my point. But to each his own, I guess.

R2 is pretty close to the size, short of them printing up a 3x3 cylinder dome like they did the 4x4 cylinder for the UCS Jedi starfighter we wont know. I will probably try find a 3x3 in my collection and see how it looks on the X-Wing when I get my hands on it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Trip report on a couple sets I got on sale (thanks Brickbadger!) and put together recently:

Fire Emergency
The good:
* The fire truck with the expanding ladder and "hydraulics" is pretty cool
* The building is simple but it's a decent source of parts for MOCs
* Lady firefighter :3:

The bad:
* Really disappointed the planks use stickers. I wanted some lighter colored printed planks to go with the dark ones
* Bad price per piece if you don't get it on sale
* No variation in the printing on the three minifigs

Warp Stinger:
The good:
* Looks rad as hell
* Has the best robot in the line
* Uses a lot of new and unique parts and SNOT techniques - real fun to build, and I'm a little tempted to get a second for parts since it's a nice shelf model and I'm not gonna take it apart

The bad:
* The bug is a bit fragile and is completely unarticulated, even though it looks like it should be
* The good guy element, the little flying chair, feels token. (Looks decent for what it is though, the style fits with the other squad vehicles)

Something about the line kept me away, maybe the colors, but now I'm gonna have to get some more

SlimPickens
Nov 8, 2010
Generally only follow this thread on occasion, just discovered this biweekly building event.
I'm also a fool who never learned LDraw and doesn't currently have a parts collection so LDD is all I can do

Had never tried to make a decent sphere before so this was the obvious choice.
It's dubbed: Self-Propelled-Bathysphere-type-thing...

In retrospect it has orange rivets and appears to be made of wood, which is silly.
E:I forgot to fold in the feet

SlimPickens fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 16, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

SlimPickens posted:

In retrospect it has orange rivets and appears to be made of wood, which is silly.
E:I forgot to fold in the feet

Honestly until I read that I thought you were intentionally going for a kind of steampunk look there. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of taste of course, but at least it looks like a unified style.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Saint Sputnik posted:

Warp Stinger:
The good:
* Looks rad as hell
* Has the best robot in the line
* Uses a lot of new and unique parts and SNOT techniques - real fun to build, and I'm a little tempted to get a second for parts since it's a nice shelf model and I'm not gonna take it apart

The bad:
* The bug is a bit fragile and is completely unarticulated, even though it looks like it should be
* The good guy element, the little flying chair, feels token. (Looks decent for what it is though, the style fits with the other squad vehicles)

Something about the line kept me away, maybe the colors, but now I'm gonna have to get some more
The Warp Stinger has no articulation at all? It just sits there? It totally looks like it would be as mobile as the Alien Conquest Tripod, but drat.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

jeeves posted:

The Warp Stinger has no articulation at all? It just sits there? It totally looks like it would be as mobile as the Alien Conquest Tripod, but drat.

Yeah, it's all short technic axles and 120 degree axle connectors. The only articulation is part of the mandible, the wings, and the 'eyes'. Two of the tail segments aren't fixed and can rotate slightly, but they don't actually change the curve of the tail.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I might articulate the tail at least, with the pieces from the Pharaoh's Quest snake. This thing would really be over the top if the head could swivel or something too.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I dunno, the thing's so delicate I'm not sure how well it would hold up with better articulation. It's an absolutely stunning model, though.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I don't know if anyone still wants it, but the Minecraft set is back in stock at shop.lego.com

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've been following this thread for a while, and I finally have something I can post. The downside, it's a question. I'm looking for a set I had when I was a kid. I found a picture of it recently at Christmas, but the box is only half in the picture (and it's not the half with the set number on it). Here's what I know about it:

Lego System set from 1993/1994 - The picture was developed in Jan 1994.
It was a set that let you build an RV/Camper type thing that you steered through the roof(with a trailer, too, I think) or an 18 wheeler.
It had a high part number and was pretty big - like a Technic set.

I've googled and looked around and found several sites that list sets from 1993 and 1994 and I've not been able to find it. It would be nice to find it as a complete set and build it, or find a manual and snag parts off of bricklink and build it.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

QuarkMartial posted:

I've been following this thread for a while, and I finally have something I can post. The downside, it's a question. I'm looking for a set I had when I was a kid. I found a picture of it recently at Christmas, but the box is only half in the picture (and it's not the half with the set number on it). Here's what I know about it:

Lego System set from 1993/1994 - The picture was developed in Jan 1994.
It was a set that let you build an RV/Camper type thing that you steered through the roof(with a trailer, too, I think) or an 18 wheeler.
It had a high part number and was pretty big - like a Technic set.

I've googled and looked around and found several sites that list sets from 1993 and 1994 and I've not been able to find it. It would be nice to find it as a complete set and build it, or find a manual and snag parts off of bricklink and build it.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5591-1
or maybe
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5581-1

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Funny thing, I just found them and came here to post. For some reason, it always seems like I can look for a long time for something, post about it, then I'll find it within the next ten minutes :v:

I was conflating two sets in my memory:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5581-1
This is the one in the picture and was pretty awesome.

Then there was this one:
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5571-1

Both were pretty cool when I was a kid... Brings back a lot of memories building them and such :)

SlimPickens
Nov 8, 2010
^^^The big red airplane one was amazing, never saw that black one, nifty.

neongrey posted:

Honestly until I read that I thought you were intentionally going for a kind of steampunk look there. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of taste of course, but at least it looks like a unified style.

Maybe if I added a brass color to it, I think it would be more steampunk.

And then it would go better with this.

I apparently ran out of ideas for the left arm at the time. LDD's rules make things way too hard

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

SlimPickens posted:

Maybe if I added a brass color to it, I think it would be more steampunk.

Those clear studs look a little bit brassy in the picture, at least. Still, it wouldn't be more than slight colour changes to get it done.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Found an unmolested set of S9. Got 2 Knightsm, 2 Mechas, 3 Chickenmen, 1 mermaid, 1 Female Elf, 1 Space Orc. I'm good for S9 apart from more orcs and cyclops.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SlimPickens posted:

And then it would go better with this.

I apparently ran out of ideas for the left arm at the time. LDD's rules make things way too hard

On the one hand, I want instructions to build that, I'm pretty sure I have all the parts. On the other, I'm not sure that could hang together anywhere other than the virtual world because some bits look so flimsy.

And I'm still looking through s9 boxes trying to find the old gypsy woman.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

On the one hand, I want instructions to build that, I'm pretty sure I have all the parts. On the other, I'm not sure that could hang together anywhere other than the virtual world because some bits look so flimsy.

And I'm still looking through s9 boxes trying to find the old gypsy woman.

Tarot cards + skirt is the key. Unless the boxes you've found someone has just cleared out all the skirt figs in hopes of getting the 2 per box Forest Maidens.

SlimPickens
Nov 8, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Depends what you mean by flimsy. It obviously isn't robust but it can definitely exist outside a computer without falling apart. The arms might pop off, they have an obvious weakpoint, but that's more easily fixed outside the constraints of LDD.

The backbone, and reason why the head has spaces and angles, is made of two of these held together by a couple of those 1x1s-with-horizontal-round-things, I have no idea what they're called. It's definitely a good backbone.

If you want to try, I can throw together a fast guide. I'd be interested to see it.

E:VVV will take a few hours (2-3), I have a couple things to do first.

SlimPickens fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 17, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Absolutely!

SlimPickens
Nov 8, 2010
These pictures should be enough. In order they show a part broken up for easier viewing following by an image with it in place, with the next section broken up. Finding where to add things in should be pretty intuitive.

In that last image I should have shown the gray lightsaber-rod-thing that runs through the middle of the drill.
Definitely post a report on how awesome impractical it is

SlimPickens fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 17, 2013

stuie
May 11, 2009
A couple more ships I made. Started on the build-off too, doing a reinterpretation of a certain sub. More pictures at my flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/66290600@N07/

Peter L Morris inspired ship:

Microspace assault carrier:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

stuie posted:

Microspace assault carrier:

I like your use of the slope with number 4 on it. Are the small ships loose or mounted on top? The ski/tie fighter is really cool. Did you use custom stickers on that model? I simply don't recognize the two squarish/circular looking design beside the number 4

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

No Series 9 anywhere in my area but Toys R Us, which as it turns out is having a buy one get one half off sale, so that negated the markup.* I got 12 and only two were repeats, but at this point I'd rather trade for what I still want: the Spork, the starlet, Jekyl & Hyde, and the forest lady. My S9 repeat I'd part with is the cop, and sometime this week I'll update my huge list of repeats from past series.

* online it limits you to three half-offs per purchase, but at the register they gave me half my items at half off.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Check walgreens for minifigs. They carry them, and noone ever thinks to look there.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

RodShaft posted:

Check walgreens for minifigs. They carry them, and noone ever thinks to look there.

Ahh thank you! I only go to my local TRU when I have to and it's the only brick & mortar I knew of that carried them.

TRU restocked. Got 12 for $30 which isn't too bad. Managed three chicken guys. Still want the starlet though.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 19, 2013

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Well, I'm a member of the Utah LUG now and went to my first meeting on Saturday. They talked about their next show a little and did some introductions. There was one other new member besides me, he made this pretty incredible Helm's Deep: http://www.flickr.com/photos/denedgel/8402727333/in/set-72157632577509135/

One guy brought in a tub of lego he was selling for a friend, and they ended up dumping it out on two tables and everyone pretty much just picked out any pieces they wanted and agreed on a price afterwards. I had to hold myself back on a lot of stuff, but I still found some really nice bits that I might never have sought out otherwise.

After that we did a draft: http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/08/lego-lug-drafting/There was a $20 buy-in and they got 3 Mines of Moria for the draft, and it quickly turned in a sorting-frenzy as the bags got dumped out and little plastic bins got spread around. The picking order was determined by pulling a random colored 1x1 cone out of a cup, and I was fairly lucky to get the 4th spot. There was a lot of "Dang, I wanted those" as the draft went, but I was pretty happy with what I got in the end since I got more of the pieces I really wanted from that set, and none of the ones I didn't want-- I even got a Gimli for that great beard. At the end there were just the 3 trolls left, and those were given out by again randomly choosing a colored piece from a cup. And again, I was lucky to get one!

Afterwards I stopped at a store for groceries, and they had a bunch of Heroica: Castle Fortaan sets on clearance for $12 so I grabbed one, and I have to say, the micro-fig helmet might be the cutest drat thing I've ever seen:

I also learned that one of ULUG's goals is to help convince Lego to put a store in Utah, and that is a goal I can definitely appreciate!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Another build-off entry

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Another build-off entry

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
It's so CUTE! :3:

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

Another build-off entry

That is very nice.
You need it in a pile of round sand tan 1x1's burying itself

stuie
May 11, 2009
A couple old mocs.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

stuie posted:

A couple old mocs.

So this is basically a walking rail gun, right? Someone's gonna get hurt with that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

RodShaft posted:

Thanks for the tip. Didn't see any sign of them in the nearby store though, unless the toy aisle is the wrong place to look