Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Jay Dub posted:

Somebody at Magnet/Magnolia apparently read Keanu Grieves' review this week, because now they're following us on Twitter.

Which is a first, I think.

It's a second. The Berberian Sound Studio twitter started following me after I reviewed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Professor Clumsy posted:

It's a second. The Berberian Sound Studio twitter started following me after I reviewed them.

Well it's new to me, dammit. :colbert:

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Jay Dub posted:

Well it's new to me, dammit. :colbert:

Red Bull Racing follow me too because I once did some tweets about Daniel Ricciardo. I'm a twitter superstar, me.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

You LOOK like a Twitter superstar.

This is awesome, though. I'm honored.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Hansel & Gretel managed to get to #1 last weekend, surprisingly. That said, it's not exactly blockbuster movie time now.
Remember, Paul Blart: Mall Cop is the movie that holds the all-time record for the most money made by a January release.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Being the top grossing film in January is like winning a sandcastle contest, except instead of sand, you just crafted your castle out of poop.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Warm Bodies has Rob Corddry? Now I want to watch it.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
As Current Releases is already the source of movie reviews for many of us, how about branching out to TV Pilots as well? TV reviews are normally sickeningly bad so I'd like a trusted source for them too. Maybe include British and Canadian TV as well.

Vesi fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 15, 2013

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vesi posted:

As Current Releases is already the source of movie reviews for many of us, how about branching out to TV Pilots as well? TV reviews are normally sickeningly bad so I'd like a trusted source for them too. Maybe include British and Canadian TV as well.
Doing only pilots seems kinda limited, I think you'd have to do a weekly roundup of TV shows. I'd definitely be down with seeing that, though, since I like the AV Club's TV section.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

That's not happening.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Maybe pitch the idea to Garbage Day or Lowtax of having a weekly TV version of Current Releases? There's probably someone on this site that's qualified to do this, but it ain't us. Maybe there's someone on TV/IV that doesn't call Skyler White a vapid oval office. (hahahahahahahano.)

EDIT: Unless Something Awful wants to pay me to do TV. I'd be down for that.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Vargo posted:

Maybe pitch the idea to Garbage Day or Lowtax of having a weekly TV version of Current Releases? There's probably someone on this site that's qualified to do this, but it ain't us. Maybe there's someone on TV/IV that doesn't call Skyler White a vapid oval office. (hahahahahahahano.)

EDIT: Unless Something Awful wants to pay me to do TV. I'd be down for that.

Vargo embarks on solo career covering television, Current Releases staff throw massive party and laugh behind his back.

Professor Clumsy is quoted, saying, "Oh that poor, dismal fucker. They are going to chew him up and spit him out."

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

All the terrible movies I've endured for Current Releases...no way am I compounding that with terrible television.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Didn't they release that failed Munsters reboot as a TV movie? That one might be fair game.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So is Die Hard 5 a male version of Brave or what? So many conflicting reviews.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Oh my God. I heard the ending to Safe Haven was stupid, but oh my God.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Great job with the reviews this week. Having recently seen Identity Thief and Die Hard, I think your reviews for both of them were pretty spot on, if maybe a little too easy on Die Hard. I enjoyed it and agreed with most of your points, like it not really being a Die Hard movie but still being an okay movie nonetheless. If I had to harp on one flaw of the movie, it would be that the repercussions of failure were never really explained. They're trying to save this political prisoner and all that but if he dies, I still have no idea what would be the consequences. Something about the Russian Minister of Defense getting away with something that really doesn't matter to anyone.

Also they had a really big, buff dude in the last part of the movie that looked like Zangief or something and they could have talked him up so that when his (pretty tame) fight came up we knew how tough he was. I just feel like they wasted what looked to be an interesting dude.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Oh my God. I heard the ending to Safe Haven was stupid, but oh my God.

People in my theater actually applauded. Seriously.
gently caress Philly college kids, y'all.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Great job with the reviews this week. Having recently seen Identity Thief and Die Hard, I think your reviews for both of them were pretty spot on, if maybe a little too easy on Die Hard. I enjoyed it and agreed with most of your points, like it not really being a Die Hard movie but still being an okay movie nonetheless. If I had to harp on one flaw of the movie, it would be that the repercussions of failure were never really explained. They're trying to save this political prisoner and all that but if he dies, I still have no idea what would be the consequences. Something about the Russian Minister of Defense getting away with something that really doesn't matter to anyone.

Also they had a really big, buff dude in the last part of the movie that looked like Zangief or something and they could have talked him up so that when his (pretty tame) fight came up we knew how tough he was. I just feel like they wasted what looked to be an interesting dude.
I don't know if you're following the behind-the-scenes poo poo with A Good Day to Die Hard, but apparently the movie had a lot edited out at the last minute. I thought this character's position in the final cut was weird too but I'm assuming his fight scene was among the scenes trimmed.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Keanu Grieves posted:

I don't know if you're following the behind-the-scenes poo poo with A Good Day to Die Hard, but apparently the movie had a lot edited out at the last minute. I thought this character's position in the final cut was weird too but I'm assuming his fight scene was among the scenes trimmed.

I hadn't heard this but I can only imagine how it was before the final cut. I would assume they just made the fight scenes less long, which is funny because they were still pretty long in the final version. Especially that car chase scene in the beginning.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jay Dub posted:

Didn't they release that failed Munsters reboot as a TV movie? That one might be fair game.

Here's a review: Its not good.

It's a pretty terrible take on The Munsters, draining all the fun out of it.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I always thought The Munsters was a shallow imitation of the surface details of The Addams Family, missing the commentary that made the latter so sharp.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The Addams Family was about wearing your heritage. The Munsters was about assimilating.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Slim Killington posted:

Wow do you have no business reviewing movies. This was the worst thing to be made since the last Indiana Jones movie, or mustard gas.

Slim Killington posted:

These were two separate points. The movie had zero redeeming qualities whatsoever, but I don't care what his opinion of it was. That's not why I said he has no business reviewing movies. I said that because it's true, and is entirely evident if you can read at higher than a tenth grade level. Opinion doesn't factor into it. He's wrong, but that's still not why I said that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slim Killington posted:

I don't care if he liked it or not. He just writes like a child and is trying to talk about a subject he knows nothing about. That's all.

You know who else can't write? The screenwriter for Die Hard 5.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
This guy seems like a real authority on what you do and don't know. I wonder where he studied.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Man, Clumsy, you sure do suck at knowing things about stuff, apparently.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Unless he's talking about parmos. He's a whiz kid when it comes to parmos.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I wrote some words about the now-infamous Quvenzhané Wallis Onion tweet over at the Facebook page for Corrent Releases, which you should like, if you already haven't.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
‎"Thank you, Vargo and the whole Current Releases team, for at least considering women's issues in your writing... you have no idea how good it feels to find a genuinely funny place on the internet that isn't full of rape jokes, cheap jokes about female bodies, and ironic or subtle racism when you're a black female. it's encouraging to see comedians actively putting in effort like this and trying to set an example in the xenophobic swamp that the internet can be. (also, thanks for all the uncontrollable, inappropriate fits of laughter you've sent me into when reading your articles in public.)"
- Some very, very, nice feedback we got on the Current Releases Facebook Page.

"Something Awful is getting to a point where I can't stand it anymore. You guys are so focused on being politically correct that you don't even bother with humour anymore."
-Some incredibly douchey feedback we got on the Current Releases Facebook Page.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/jack-giant-slayer.php

So what you're saying is that JeffChang is 21 and Over's John Red Corn?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Vargo posted:

‎"Thank you, Vargo and the whole Current Releases team, for at least considering women's issues in your writing... you have no idea how good it feels to find a genuinely funny place on the internet that isn't full of rape jokes, cheap jokes about female bodies, and ironic or subtle racism when you're a black female. it's encouraging to see comedians actively putting in effort like this and trying to set an example in the xenophobic swamp that the internet can be. (also, thanks for all the uncontrollable, inappropriate fits of laughter you've sent me into when reading your articles in public.)"
- Some very, very, nice feedback we got on the Current Releases Facebook Page.

"Something Awful is getting to a point where I can't stand it anymore. You guys are so focused on being politically correct that you don't even bother with humour anymore."
Yeah, there's a difference between suffocating political correctness and calling a specific child a oval office. I pick on people who deserve it; once you start taking aim at those who don't, the satire is lost.

EDIT: I do think The Onion has responded well to the controversy, and I still think 90% of its articles are brilliant.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Y-Hat posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/jack-giant-slayer.php

So what you're saying is that JeffChang is 21 and Over's John Red Corn?

"Well, well, well. Joh-ha-hoooon Redcorn."
"Jeh-he-heeeefChang."

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

quote:

"Political Corectness" is paranoid, but the column is rather socially conscious, to the point it's a regular aspect you review films by. I can understand somebody not used to decent criticism and uncomfortable with social issues would be put off a little. It doesn't tend to overpower the other aspects of the review, and I personally find your opinions on the matter insightful, even if they sometimes do sometimes seem perfunctory.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Danzou posted:

"Political Corectness" is paranoid, but the column is rather socially conscious, to the point it's a regular aspect you review films by. I can understand somebody not used to decent criticism and uncomfortable with social issues would be put off a little. It doesn't tend to overpower the other aspects of the review, and I personally find your opinions on the matter insightful, even if they sometimes do sometimes seem perfunctory.

Looking at how the criticism is used, I've found anyone who falls back to decrying "political correctness" usually has nothing else to say, and just wants to shut down discussion.

I did enjoy the article, which was one of the more nuanced responses to the tweet.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Are the Cinebytes awards going to be posted in Current Releases?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Are the Cinebytes awards going to be posted in Current Releases?

We discussed it and we just couldn't think of a way of presenting them that wasn't just a list. Lists are boring.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Professor Clumsy posted:

We discussed it and we just couldn't think of a way of presenting them that wasn't just a list. Lists are boring.

Couldn't you have just reposted the presentations people did? (if people didn't mind that is)

I mean kinda sucked but alot of people did some drat fine work there.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Professor Clumsy posted:

Oh, just put pretty pictures for the ones that doesn't have a video.

Edit: Pick should probably have subtitles for her video.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Couldn't you have just reposted the presentations people did? (if people didn't mind that is)

I mean kinda sucked but alot of people did some drat fine work there.

They did and it was great, but I think it would be better presented as a Comedy Goldmine than part of Current Releases.

I put it to Garbage Day, we'll see.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just saw the non-3D version of Oz because I didn't expect the film to make good use of it. Then I came home to learn that it actually made fantastic use of it.

That'll teach me to see a film before it's reviewed.

• Locked thread