Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Welp I beat Kingdoms of Amalur. The final zone of the game is just one loooong hallway will hundreds of enemies which is really goddamn obnoxious. Thankfully though you can just run straight past everything. I really don't know how the game was balanced by even after skipping almost all of the side quests and only being level 25 out of 40 (?) everything end-game was a complete cake walk. Also odd that I almost never found decent gear from drops as what I could buy from the stores with my near infinite gold was way better than the under-leveled stuff I was looting.

Not a bad game but not a great one either. Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I'm playing through FEAR today and was curious - Are Extraction Point and Perseus mandate worth playing through/relevant enough?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Azruelli posted:

I'm playing through FEAR today and was curious - Are Extraction Point and Perseus mandate worth playing through/relevant enough?

Nope. They're non-canon cash-ins as Monolith was bought by Warner Bros. and hadn't yet acquired the FEAR license from Vivendi. They're also not very good, even in comparison to the original.

Ironically they were developed by TimeGate, one of the studios that worked on Colonial Marines.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Good lord Crash Time II is one of the shittiest, most broken games I've ever tried to play. I thought it'd be a laugh just seeing how bad and weird it is but nope it's so poorly made that it's unplayable. I can't even get past the first mission without being thrown a fail state for no goddamn reason. That's being thrown on the Shameful pile.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

PowerBeard posted:

Don't give up on Scribblenauts Unlimited just yet, I've been playing for 6 hours and have over 63 stars, the nature of the game is that each level is meant to be played in short bursts. So its not completely impossible to get all 106 stars. Just give yourself half an hour every weekend to play it, take a break to play other backlog games do work, and slowly but surely you'll get there.

Last page, I went to try reassure Chief Savage Man that Scribblenauts Unlimited is a game that shouldn't be nulled. Welp. :smith:

Barely Beaten: Scribblenauts Unlimited - After about 10 hours of gameplay I managed to collect all the available stars and shards, to the point I had about 84-ish. Then I realised that there were :siren: super secret shards :siren: to collect. I draw the line there, it takes about 5 shards to make up a star, at would mean I would have to get roughly 160 shards. These shards require you trying something unusual or random or doing something random. At the very least, you would have to type 160 words just to get all the remaining pieces. :argh:
The game is immensely fun, definitely something where you'd want to try as many crazy solutions as possible. It's great to see a game willing to let the player have so much freedom with their world. Also the Steam Workshop system does add to the experience, seeing so much crazy content.
I'd recommend it, just try not to collect all the stars.

It also made me want to see a show staring a whale cop who doesn't play by the rules.

Also trying to finish Closure, but its puzzles are annoying me, playing more FTL: Faster Than Light and Hell Yeah, which I picked up for about €3.50.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

al-azad posted:

Nope. They're non-canon cash-ins as Monolith was bought by Warner Bros. and hadn't yet acquired the FEAR license from Vivendi. They're also not very good, even in comparison to the original.

Ironically they were developed by TimeGate, one of the studios that worked on Colonial Marines.

Yeah, Eww. That definitely sounds like something to avoid. Thanks for the heads up.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Shovelmint posted:

and the Scarecrow levels were really well done.
Am I the only one who didn't like the Scarecrow levels? I'll agree they were visually interesting at least, but I absolutely hate forced stealth sections where if the enemy spots you just once, it's an instant game over. I "died" to Scarecrow more times then all the other enemies combined, which shouldn't be happening when I'm facing archenemies such as the Joker and Bane.

The rest of the game was great, though.

Anyways, I bought System Shock 2 from gog after hearing all the hype, and have started playing it. Seems like it'll be fun, but it's kicking my butt so far, mainly because I'm making stupid mistakes. I'm gonna stick with it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Eh! Frank posted:

Am I the only one who didn't like the Scarecrow levels? I'll agree they were visually interesting at least, but I absolutely hate forced stealth sections where if the enemy spots you just once, it's an instant game over. I "died" to Scarecrow more times then all the other enemies combined, which shouldn't be happening when I'm facing archenemies such as the Joker and Bane.

It's the kind of stealth section I like, actually, it's always rather clear where you shouldn't be standing. It's better than an attempt at an involved stealth section in a game that can't handle it. Although granted I think outright killing you for slipping up is bad, it doesn't set you back too far.

I didn't like the actual Scarecrow 'confrontations', though. They felt really cheap. The part beforehand was always really cool, where it screws with you and lets you see what actually scares Batman, but if that gas is supposed to bring out your 'greatest fear', Batman is an intellectually lazy man. Come on, the best you can come up with is a giant Scarecrow? That's not even close to scary, and I hate needles.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp I beat Deus Ex: Human Revolution again but got to experience The Missing Link along the way. I still think it's a very good game but man, going back to it after playing some other stealth games recently really makes the mechanics feel weird and kinda dated. The cover system and aiming is clunky, the stealth is janky (why do stealth takedowns alert everyone within a hundred yards but then only in vanilla DX but not Missing Link? why do guards who get chocked out by a gas cloud get alerted and know exactly where I am even though they didn't see me through the grenade? why is the gas grenade literally the only grenade that works this way?) and I hit multiple quest-ending glitches throughout that game that required me to use Gibbed's debug tools to progress though. This weirdly didn't happen at launch but man it was frustrating this time.

Still I like the game and have high hopes for another. I just don't really have the desire to ever play Human Revolution ever again.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I didnt enjoy the Scarecrow parts of Arkham Asylum, or the Croc part either. Anything outside of combat, stealth takedowns, exploration or gliding about just seemed less refined and I'm generally not a fan of mechanics that get added for a single 5 minute section and then abandoned.

AC did a better job with turning hallucinations into trippy combat encounters.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

The cover system and aiming is clunky
Okay.... :psyduck: can you recommend a few games with good cover systems then? DXHR cover system was one of the best I've played with.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, oh, progress. Slow progress, but progress.

Beat Crysis 2. I think this is what COD aspires to be: cinematic, but with proper fun shooting and multiple ways to approach an objective. Story was all over the place, but I'm fine with it. Doesn't make me interested in touching Crysis 3 whenever that comes out, but I had a lot of fun with Crysis 2. I was surprised of how much I loved a stealth shotgun. Stealth shotgun. Weirdest paradox.

Beat Pokémon White 2. Probably the most by the numbers game in the series. The absurd number of things in the post-game will probably make me keep coming back for more, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I will always defend Crysis 2. Game is fun as hell.

Pierzak posted:

Okay.... :psyduck: can you recommend a few games with good cover systems then? DXHR cover system was one of the best I've played with.

Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Killzone 2 & 3 and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. Those are all first person shooters which keep you in first person when you're in cover and allow for smooth transition in and out without the stickyness. Also due to Deus Ex's weird "hold this button to stay in cover" which I've never seen in a game (usually it's either a toggle or seemless) it just felt off.

But moreso than that the biggest problem with Human Revolution's cover system lies in the Give Me Deus Ex mode. On that difficulty there is no reticle on screen forcing you to aim down your sights. This is fine and dandy except that given how the combat was built you HAVE to be in cover during firefights or you'll get chewed up. Why is this an issue? Well when you go to aim from cover there's still no reticle and no option for iron sights. All you can do is kinda line up the enemy in the middle of the screen and hope for the best until you can get a laser module but even that that's not an option for all weapons.

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway had the exact same drat problem only made worse by no option at all for lasers (obviously). That's just a dumb situation for a game to be in and shows that they didn't really think things all the way through.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Saoshyant posted:

Beat Pokémon White 2. Probably the most by the numbers game in the series. The absurd number of things in the post-game will probably make me keep coming back for more, though.

Really, it's that bad? I knew there were gonna be issues when I heard they abandoned one of the core things that made Black/White arguably the best Pokemon game (only new Pokemon in the main game, so no getting overwhelmed and no sticking to the old standbys), but I was hoping it was otherwise solid.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
A few have fallen since I updated in November.

Beat:
Metal Gear Solid, Still great, a touch ropey looking these days but with a resolution mod and AA/AF forced on it's aged surprisingly well.

Tomb Raider 2. Finally! Got it for Christmas 1997 but was always just too hard for 9 year-old me. I would probably not have finished it if I wasn't already familiar with it (it has not aged well) but it does have a certain, blocky charm about it.

The Witcher 2 Something actually modern. Amazing game, brutal at first but I came to love always having to be close to your best and actually having to use traps, magic and bombs rather than them being just a distraction as they are in many games. Could have put my fist through the monitor at the Letho fight but it was cheesable enough. Hard but fair.

Assassins Creed 3. Hmmm. It's got all the usual rear end Creedy goodness, including the trivally easy combat, which was really jarring coming from the Witcher 2. The naval combat missions were awesome and the homestead missions gave me a warm fuzzy feeling but all of the side stuff ended with me wondering what it was all for. You do missions to make money to build convoys so you can upgrade your ship so you can open sea trading routes and you upgrade your artisans to craft things so... well there is no reason, by this point you could easily be swimming in money. I've always enjoyed the side stuff in AC but in this one, too much of it didn't offer a good reward and wasn't fun enough to warrant doing just because. Decent enough, but the series is seriously getting bogged down in content for content's sake.

Christmas means that Far Cry 3, Dishonored and Hitman: Absolution await and Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite are bundled with my new graphics card, meaning that I now need to play all of this and both of the previous Bioshocks before my birthday in mid-June. Crikey.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 18, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cleretic posted:

Really, it's that bad? I knew there were gonna be issues when I heard they abandoned one of the core things that made Black/White arguably the best Pokemon game (only new Pokemon in the main game, so no getting overwhelmed and no sticking to the old standbys), but I was hoping it was otherwise solid.

What? It is solid. Huge selection of mons, they improved breeding and training for the competitive players, the new battle styles (rotation and triples) are used more oftenly, and the post-game is huge huge. My only complaint was that, after playing the much better story in the first White game, they threw most of it out and were very, very strict with their good ol' formula of 8 gyms then E4, thus the "by the numbers" comment.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Killzone 2 & 3 and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. Those are all first person shooters which keep you in first person when you're in cover and allow for smooth transition in and out without the stickyness. Also due to Deus Ex's weird "hold this button to stay in cover" which I've never seen in a game (usually it's either a toggle or seemless) it just felt off.
OK, so I'll ignore those games since what you say is pretty much the things I don't like in a cover system. Different tastes I suppose. And you do know DXHR has an option to toggle cover instead of hold?

VVV: Definitely different tastes. gently caress playing an FPS with a controller.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 18, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I do but I found that to be even more obtrusive.

Let me rephrase that then, I think the "FPS with forced 3rd person in cover" works a hell of a lot better with a controller than keyboard and mouse. It's just never felt right to me and I really wanted to use a k&m for Human Revolution. Maybe it just wasn't really made for that.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Put Scribblenauts Unlimited back into Active at the suggestion of a few posters. Might as well get it done.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100% achievements:

The Blackwell Legcy - I only had one achievement left from playing it ages ago, the games were a little buggy about awarding them when I first played through but its since been fixed so I did a quick replay to get it. Same situation as...

Blackwell Unbound - ... which took me ten minutes to swoop in and get the last one. I finished up these two to prepare for...

The Blackwell Deception - I picked this up in an IndieRoyale a while ago but it got forgotten about for a while. It's probably my favourite of the series so far, although I didn't like the story direction the ending hinted the series will be going in. It has a faint whiff of an epic save-the-world angle when the games so far have been a lot more personal, just dealing with local ghost mysteries. The little touches are great, like how mouseover text can change depending on whether you're controlling Rosa or Joey at the time. Each game is 2-3 hours long and they're all worth playing.

Booster Trooper - 159 hours to complete... probably wasn't worth it. There's basically nothing redeeming about this game, nobody plays it, and it was a gargantuan grind to finish it off. So big it took longer than three years, the first achievements I got in it were so long ago it was before Steam recorded timestamps.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

EightDeer posted:

Does this make me a total weirdo for loving KoA: Reckoning so much I did every single sidequest in the game? Took me 100+ hours for a single playthrough. Which reminds me, I still haven't finished that last DLC; I should get around to it sometime.

Nope, I loved it too and I am normal as gently caress!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just played through Penumbra: Black Plague in one sitting and loved pretty much everything about it. Frictional advanced both the engine and their gameplay a lot from Overture and you can really see where they were going into Amnesia. The storytelling is great, the setting is unique, it offers good adventure gaming without being obtuse and there is a lot of character to the game that I wasn't expecting after the initial rather bare-bones Overture. What a fantastic game.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Lavatein posted:

Booster Trooper - 159 hours to complete... probably wasn't worth it. There's basically nothing redeeming about this game, nobody plays it, and it was a gargantuan grind to finish it off. So big it took longer than three years, the first achievements I got in it were so long ago it was before Steam recorded timestamps.

How and why on earth did you do this? :psyduck:

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Eh! Frank posted:

Am I the only one who didn't like the Scarecrow levels? I'll agree they were visually interesting at least, but I absolutely hate forced stealth sections where if the enemy spots you just once, it's an instant game over. I "died" to Scarecrow more times then all the other enemies combined, which shouldn't be happening when I'm facing archenemies such as the Joker and Bane

Well, I meant more the parts where he's messing with you and the visual effects, rather than the locked camera stealth parts, but those didn't last long. I wasn't too fond of the searchlight dodging parts, either.

Been working through Dead Space 1 today, and it is really awesome. The sound effects are great, at least when they can keep the screaming to a minimum, and it's been a pretty intense experience so far. I think I'm getting pretty close to the end, having beat something called Leviathan in the last chapter, so the atmosphere isn't quite as creepy as when I first started, but it's definitely been a good time.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Beat: XCOM
Great game. I beat the last mission by the skin of my teeth. I'd feel a lot better about this game if I feel like the RNG wasn't downright lying to me.

Beat: Hotline Miami
Fun, but short.

Beat: The Witcher 2
This game rules. I'm super pumped for W3.

Beat: Mark of the Ninja
A stealth game that's actually fun in 2013.

Beat: Prototype 2
James Heller owns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjO-TccKyGo

Beat: Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Disappointing follow-up. A shame.

Beat: Red Faction: Guerrilla
Explosions and a giant hammer go a long way in this otherwise bland game.

Beat: Shatter
I don't really like this type of game but Shatter was refreshing.

Beat: Fallout: New Vegas
First FO game I've played. Got kind of burned out by the end. I wonder how FO3 compares...

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

DannyTanner posted:

Beat: Fallout: New Vegas
First FO game I've played. Got kind of burned out by the end. I wonder how FO3 compares...

If you're burned out on the mechanics, there's probably no reason to go back. Playing the first two might give you some new insights into New Vegas, though, and the systems for those are completely different. Bethesda's probably working on a new one right now anyway.

I'm done with Atom Zombie Smasher and Deponia. I beat AZS three times over about eight hours. It's a really great game, but really, really easy once you get a grip on everything. Deponia I'm putting down for other things. It's fine, but the voice acting was kind of grating on me and it wasn't that funny.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Beat: Max Payne 3. I just pumped out half the game in one sitting and there's an intense feeling of anger and satisfaction. The game looks and sounds great and Max progressively getting hosed up feels like John McClane in Die Hard. There's some legitimately good set pieces and I honestly thought the human organ trafficking plot was well portrayed. They could have done a better job with the characters, though. The villains have very little presence and three of them are token foreigners who speak in broken English about "gringos messing with their country" BTW they just rounded up and executed 150 civilians.

But the gameplay, fuuuuuck. First I made the mistake playing on hard because I'm dumb and wanted to unlock the other difficulties for whatever reason. Big mistake. Enemies have 1-hit kills, they pinpoint your location instantly, they can kill you even when you're blind firing, and later on enemies turn into bullet sponges straight out of Uncharted. Yeah, they're wearing body armor, but guns have ZERO penetration. There's very little different between guns and I found myself generally hording shotguns because the spread would hit people in the legs which somehow did more damage than shooting someone's facemask with a rifled slug. The train sequence near the end of the game was absolutely miserable because you're trading shots with people on a moving vehicle and each hit knocks them prone behind cover. Later everyone carries a laser sight so they can hit you with 100% accuracy BUT DON'T PICK THEM UP because Max can't steady a laser sight to save his life. The laser sight keeps hanging up in the terrain or bouncing around with every shot while the dot crosshair is 100% accurate regardless what weapon you're using. Seriously, what the gently caress?

All of this wouldn't be a problem if the general mechanics weren't so broken. BulletTime has been hosed; you get about 5 seconds max and it reloads slowly. Bullet dodging has been hosed because Max can bump into objects and it takes him 5 seconds to stand up from a prone position unlike the previous games where he would automatically slide on his feet. Literally every room is followed by a cutscene and Max will automatically discard/unequip his rifle to use his primary pistol. Half the time the game will throw you into a gauntlet after these cutscenes, of course you're armed with your loving pistol. A few times the game will take you out of cover during these segments as 30 guys flood in the room. The very first room in the last area has about 10 dudes with laser sights and they start you directly in the open on a conveyor belt! In the police station you're fighting a boss who can blind-fire with 100% accuracy, reload in 1 second, and every time you knock him down they'll play a cutscene, have Max stand up, and three guys will run into the room while he immediately starts shooting at you. I must have died 100 times during this one scene.

I think I would have liked this game a lot more on normal. Probably even easy. There's no reason to play on a higher difficulty because the challenge is artificial. It's otherwise an exciting big budget action movie in game form and shooting people in the face in slow motion hasn't been this bloody brutal since Soldier of Fortune 2.

You'll also see some hilarious glitches while playing...

e: I forgot the most frustrating thing of all. There's a part where Max can equip a kevlar vest. This, of course, does absolutely nothing for you. Enemies are immune to bullets to the chest but Max must have picked up the one vest made from paper.

e2: Man, I couldn't sleep because this game had my adrenaline going. Here's a special PROTIP. When Max takes a fatal hit he goes into Last Stand mode. It slows down time and enemies seem to go down in one hit regardless where you shoot them. I've cleared entire rooms by waiting for enemies to line up, take a fatal hit, then shoot everyone saving my attacker for last. It only costs a bottle of painkillers, you'll probably save more than by legitimately fighting people. What a screwed up game.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 19, 2013

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
So I know Dead Space 3 isn't on Steam yet, which annoyed me, but it looks like it is on a pretty good sale right now! It's the deal of the day at Amazon. $39.99 for PC, PS3 or 360.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-3-...F7W1ZYVKW744SYD

It's the next best thing to having it on Steam...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

al-azad posted:

Literally every room is followed by a cutscene and Max will automatically discard/unequip his rifle to use his primary pistol. Half the time the game will throw you into a gauntlet after these cutscenes, of course you're armed with your loving pistol. A few times the game will take you out of cover during these segments as 30 guys flood in the room. The very first room in the last area has about 10 dudes with laser sights and they start you directly in the open on a conveyor belt! In the police station you're fighting a boss who can blind-fire with 100% accuracy, reload in 1 second, and every time you knock him down they'll play a cutscene, have Max stand up, and three guys will run into the room while he immediately starts shooting at you. I must have died 100 times during this one scene.

That swap to default pistols every cutscene was the goddamn worst and I have no idea how the game got through QA and focus testing without someone bringing that up. And the cutscenes were well done and I was fine with the pacing in single player but goddamn Rockstar strip that poo poo out in the arcade modes. That's just obnoxious.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat Penumbra: Requiem. I spoke about it in the horror games thread but it's not really a horror game or a Penumbra game. It's a Portal-esque physics puzzler that sort of takes place in the Penumbra universe but not really? Honestly I thought it was more annoying than interesting. Anyone interested in Frictional's excellent other games can skip it and not miss anything. Shame they're never going to actually finish the Penumbra story after how Black Plague ended.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Last time I posted in the thread, I was struggling through TVHM solo in Borderlands 2. I eventually powered through due to Gibbed's save editor making the game fun again. I started another playthrough in co-op (playing a Siren), but it's been sporadic, so I'm turning my attention elsewhere.

Completed: Lego Batman 2. Took me ~20 hours to fully 100% the game. I love collecting things and am usually kind of a sucker for these games, but this one was seriously dragging by the end. I don't really know why, either, since it's the least amount of time it's taken me to 100% a Lego game. Maybe it was a function of the new open world design and the completely terrible flying controls, I'm not sure. It looked great and I was pleasantly surprised by the voice acting and humor, so I can't complain too much.

Also, why was Supergirl the reward you get for getting all the gold bricks? Of all characters?

I think next up I'm going to go with Giana Sisters or maybe some sort of adventure game lightning round. I have at least 10 to get through. Last one I tried was Still Life - got stuck on the stupid cookie baking puzzle back in June and never went back.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
BEATEN - Closure - A relative short game, yet one that caused much frustration to me, Closure is a platforming game where light is used to traverse and solve puzzles. Great atmosphere, eerie sound effects too, but man are some of those puzzles annoying. And I'm certainly not going out of my way to collect all the moths. :argh:

Trying to get some course work done, so really just relaxing with some FTL, even if it decides to screw you over just when you think you're doing good, Hell Yeah, which has become annoying with sticky wall jumping mechanics and maybe restart Bioshock 2, seeing as I have it lying around waiting to be cleared.

Angrybits
Feb 20, 2013

I figure its time to dive into finishing a good chunk of the games I've been putting off playing for no apparent reason. Thanks to the dice of decision, its Call of Duty 2 time.

Time to go to work.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beat F.E.A.R. Fun combat, not so fun level design. Some of the later levels can go gently caress themselves. It's also very easy.

Nulled Bunch of Heroes. Piece of poo poo that's probably not fun even with friends.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I nulled Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper because goddamn what a boring game. I know I shouldn't have expected too much but I expected...something interesting to happen and an hour in I've completed maybe two easy puzzles and listened to a poo poo ton of terrible voice acting. Awful.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I can finally contribute to this thread again! I beat Sleeping Dogs. According to Steam, it took me 33 hours to do so. I haven't found all the lock boxes or done all the favors yet. I can see myself playing this in small chunks to work my way towards marking this as completed. I had a fun time with this, and this is the first open world game/GTA like that I can remember myself beating. I played most of it with a controller, except for the shooting segments where I switched to mouse & keyboard. I wish more games would switch on the fly like that. I need to play some shorter games; I was thinking of Vessel, it looks pretty cool. Anyone here played it?

clamcake
Dec 24, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I nulled Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper because goddamn what a boring game. I know I shouldn't have expected too much but I expected...something interesting to happen and an hour in I've completed maybe two easy puzzles and listened to a poo poo ton of terrible voice acting. Awful.

I had a similar experience trying to play Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened a couple years back. I'm a fan of Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos, so I thought I'd enjoy the story and the atmosphere, but the gameplay and enforced linear investigation order were just abysmal. I spent nearly an hour poking around a dockyard looking for clues, finding nothing at all. After checking a walkthrough, I learned that I had to talk to some minor characters in order to activate major clues in places I had already looked. I distinctly remember having to talk to some mentally unstable longshoreman's son in order to make a completely unrelated ship's logbook appear on a shipping desk on the opposite side of the area. Have avoided that game series like the plague since.

Seriously, gently caress that noise.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Wow, lots of hate for the Frogwares' Sherlock games. I thought I'd pop in and mention that I managed to enjoy both Jack the Ripper and The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, despite the obvious flaws. They're pretty janky and come with the worst of adventure game tropes, but I thought the writers had a very good sense of the setting and the interplay between the characters of Watson and Holmes. Also Testament seems to run on a different engine, and actually doesn't look like an UT99 mod. I wouldn't go as far as to recommend any of them to anyone who isn't a Holmes nut like me, but I think they have redeeming qualities.

Moving on to the actual topic of the thread, I've been thinking about skipping upgrading my PC this cycle, and getting a PS4 if they turn out okay. However, my Steam game list has been gaining length of late, and there's a bunch of GoG games and god knows what else. I need to get at least some of this pile dealt with before I make any moves towards buying more hardware to buy more games on. To my credit, I don't own any games at the moment, that I haven't at least tried.

I'm working on this shortlist of games that I want to beat. I might put it up on backloggery at some point.

Alpha Protocol
Played through a couple of missions, and it seems like a really cool game with a very dynamic plot. I also thought it has pretty good level design. The locations feel more realistic than in your typical stealth game, where the levels often seem like obstacle courses designed around the player's abilities.

Assasin's Creed II
Ugh. This is one of those games, where if you keep a too long pause from playing, it's really hard to get invested again. I've forgot the controls, most of the plot, and who anyone in the game is.

Dishonored
I think I'm about halfway through, don't see any problems in completing this. Corvo is OP in an entertaining way, so you can just mess around like you're in Steelport or something. Although sneaking just for sneaking's sake is fun too.

Etherlords 2
This reminds of the single player campaign in that Magic: the Gathering game that Microprose did back in the day. God, I wish someone would just make a sequel to that game, so I could stop playing Etherlords 2. Not that Etherlords 2 is a bad game, it's actually very decent. But playing it just constantly reminds me of what I don't have. I hope it doesn't have too many campaigns.

Heroes VI
It's not III, which is about all you need to say about any Heroes game at this point. I've been purposefully avoiding reading any strategy tips and just winging it, but the maps seem to take a really long time to win. Even in situations where you've obviously in a winning position. If it looks like it'll take dozens of hours, I'll probably de-list this, but I will complete it at some point.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Another one that I'll have no problems finishing. Just have to wait for that D&D feelin'. The writing in this is so much better than in the original campaign, it makes me regret wasting my time with the original. Not that the original was completely awful, but the difference in quality is considerable. Storm of Zehir? Perhaps some day.

Of Orcs and Men
loving underrated. The most interesting loving fantasy setting in a long time (okay, The Witcher is better), and I haven't yet seen any loving problems with the combat. It's KOTOR, except that you actually have to think about what the gently caress you are doing in order to win, instead of loving spamming Force Heal and Force Decrease Hitpoints.

Painkiller Hell & Damnation
Hop hop hop hop hop. Will complete. Also "Hell & Damnation" for "HD" pleases me far more than it probably should.

Trine 2
I got this and the previous one both on sales, paying only like couple of euros, and I feel kind of bad about it. I think I got like some special soundtrack included version of the first one, because I basically felt like I was somehow exploiting the creators by getting their game for next to nothing. Both look and sound amazing, and are fun enough to play as well.

The Witcher Enhanced Edition - Director's Cut
Again, I've taken too long a pause with this one. However, I have no problems recalling what's been going on, or how the game functioned. I guess it goes to show, that some games just are more memorable than others. Yes, I'll get to the sequel right after I've finished this. Thankfully the third one isn't coming out this year. So many games. So many.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

StoryTime posted:

To my credit, I don't own any games at the moment, that I haven't at least tried.
(long list of long games)
I used to do exactly like you do: Try out all those awesome new games and play anything from 30 minutes to 5 hours and then leave them for something else, but always with the "I'll finish it off later".
For me at least, that also meant forgetting the controls and the gameplay mechanics when I finally returned, thus getting really frustrated and nulling the games on Backloggery.

I have now found that staying focused and playing only a couple of games at a time is the way to do it. And those games should be of different genres, difficulty level, age(GOG vs newest graphical wonder) etc. so you still have 3-5 active games to pick from, but each have distinct mechanics that you wont forget by playing something else. Also to mix between a 15 minutes games break and an all-nighter "kill those orcs/aliens/nazis".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Fart of Presto posted:

I used to do exactly like you do: Try out all those awesome new games and play anything from 30 minutes to 5 hours and then leave them for something else, but always with the "I'll finish it off later".
For me at least, that also meant forgetting the controls and the gameplay mechanics when I finally returned, thus getting really frustrated and nulling the games on Backloggery.

I have now found that staying focused and playing only a couple of games at a time is the way to do it. And those games should be of different genres, difficulty level, age(GOG vs newest graphical wonder) etc. so you still have 3-5 active games to pick from, but each have distinct mechanics that you wont forget by playing something else. Also to mix between a 15 minutes games break and an all-nighter "kill those orcs/aliens/nazis".

Words of wisdom. I do like to have a good selection of titles to choose from when I feel like playing, so I don't think I could deal with concentrating on just a couple of games at a time. Dividing them by genres seems like a great idea though. Right now, if I want to play a stealth based game, I'm going to play Dishonored, not Alpha Protocol. I've been really interested in the new DmC game, but if I buy that now, Assassin's Creed II is going to go on an even longer pause. One genre, one game, seems like a workable rule of thumb.

What I really want to do, is to get myself playing some of these games that I know I really enjoy playing. You know, instead of loafing around the internet, or other things that are truly a waste of my time.