Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fluo posted:

The cellar under Parliament.

There was a really cool special done a while back where they looked at what exactly would have happened if Guy Fawkes had succeeded in setting off his explosives. There had always been a bit of controversy over whether he would even have done anything given that about a third of his powder was wet. So a bunch of experts created a 1:1 scale mockup of parliament and his bomb and let it rip.

The whole thing's on youtube too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9oDBXLjQcE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Cromwell was a ethnic cleansing maniac and the fact that he's praised to this day is a travesty. I pray that British Republicanism completely abandon the fucker.

A loyalist mural in Belfast, and if they loyalists love him that's reason enough to not.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

LP97S posted:

Cromwell was a ethnic cleansing maniac and the fact that he's praised to this day is a travesty. I pray that British Republicanism completely abandon the fucker.

This may be me as an American speaking, but an unelected noble ruling with near-absolute power who unilaterally passed on his "Lord Protectorship" to his son isn't exactly a stunning example of Republicanism in any sense of the word. He also literally banned Christmas.

If a genocidal nobleman is the best the British can come up with for a inspirational anti-monarchical figure, then they really should try and create a better one to aspire to in the present.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Spiderfist Island posted:

This may be me as an American speaking, but an unelected noble ruling with near-absolute power who unilaterally passed on his "Lord Protectorship" to his son isn't exactly a stunning example of Republicanism in any sense of the word. He also literally banned Christmas.

If a genocidal nobleman is the best the British can come up with for a inspirational anti-monarchical figure, then they really should try and create a better one to aspire to in the present.

If we didn't know you were talking about Cromwell this sounds like Napoleon.

Coronation of Napoleon I.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 17, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Can we keep talking about more royalty popping up and therefore invalidating republics?

James Strang, one of the claimants to the mantle of leadership for the Church of Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ aka the Mormons. He basically started his own kingdom, even had himself crown as an ecclesiastical monarch, in Michigan with 12,000 followers.

But hey, lets look at other people claiming to be heir to non-existent thrones, first the three of France.

Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou of the Legitimist line (Louis XVI was the last in power)

Henri d'Orléans, Count of Paris of the Orléanist line (Louis-Philippe)

Charles Napoléon, of the Napoleon line (Napoleon III

EDIT: He's actually a practical republican in the French scene so many Bonapartists view his son Jean Christopher to be the true heir at this point.

Nicholas Romanov, Prince of Russia, one of two claimants to the Russian throne seen here with Dmitry Medvedev (not sure if it's when he was President or PM)

Constantine II of Greece, one of the few living monarchs ran out of their country

Try as the might they can't do poo poo for now.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 17, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Smirr posted:

Errr.

His Imperial Majesty Napoleon I, By the Grace of God and the Constitutions of the Republic, Emperor of the French.

Emperor Napoleon III chilling with Otto Bismarck.

The French are hardly poster children for getting rid of monarchy. They had to do that twice, the first time resulting in absolute chaos for a decade and then another monarch, and the second time, it only happened because Prussia kicked their teeth in and took the emperor captive. In 1870. 81 years after the Revolution, 78 years after the abolition of monarchy. Napoleon III had even been president of France before he decided that he would really rather prefer to be emperor.

What I'm getting at is that "If you're gonna shoot, shoot! Don't talk!"

Three times actually, you forgot the time Louis-Philippe abdicated during the French revolution of 1848:

Go hang yourself elsewhere!

The cartoonist who drew this famous caricature of Louis-Philippe morphing into a pear was put into jail:

LP97S posted:

Can we keep talking about more royalty popping up and therefore invalidating republics?

Charles Napoléon, of the Napoleon line (Napoleon III)

Try as the might they can't do poo poo for now.

Actually Charles Napoléon is a Republican and a centrist politician and stated that he isn't interested in the throne of his ancestor.

During the mayoral election of Ajaccio he teamed up with the Social Democratic candidate and now mayor Simon Renucci against the traditional Bonapartist right wing of Corsican politics.

His son Jean-Christophe however is interested in the throne and is considered by some as the rightful claimant to the throne of Napoleon:

Not that any of that matter since they have no way of coming back.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 17, 2013

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Actually Charles Napoléon is a Republican and a centrist politician and stated that he isn't interested in the throne of his ancestor.

During the mayoral election of Ajaccio he teamed up with the Social Democratic candidate and now mayor Simon Renucci against the traditional Bonapartist right wing of Corsican politics.

His son Jean-Christophe however is interested in the throne and is considered by some as the rightful claimant to the throne of Napoleon:

Amazing how much he looks like an enormous douchebag.

I'm sure that's just coincidence, though.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Fluo posted:

However before the English civil wars were the infamous gunpowder plot (1605).

A contemporary engraving of eight of the thirteen conspirators, by Crispijn van de Passe. Missing are Digby, Keyes, Rookwood, Grant, and Tresham.

The cellar under Parliament.

Well, at least you didn't use that woeful "Only man to enter parliament with honest intentions" schtick.

And here is a number of torture devices in the tower of London he would have been subjected to:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Apologies for that bad post, I'll edit it to rectify it. In the meanwhile, have another secular republican leaning monarchist, Reza Pahlavi, the crown prince of the Pahlavi (Iranian/Persian) dynasty.

As a young man, being sworn in as Shah in Egypt shortly after his Father's death in 1980

Him today, usually advocating for a non-monarchist secular state in Iran.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Is Cromwell supposed to be the guy who got melted by by toxic waste in Robocop?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This may be borderline DnD, but I think it might be appreciated.

The picture at the link:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Smirr posted:

His Imperial Majesty Napoleon I, By the Grace of God and the Constitutions of the Republic, Emperor of the French.

Napoleon was an authoritarian reactionary force - France was constantly under attack after the Revolution and sooner or later in those circumstances a 'Big Man' must emerge. And even then he never claimed the same kind of authority the French Kings did - he bowed to popular sovereignty (he needs God and the Constitution to rule)

After his defeat The Monarchies of Europe forced France to accept bloodline rule again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Lindy Patton, age 96

George Young, age 91

Daniel Taylor, age unknown

Carrie Pollard, age 78

Anne Maddox, age 113

All of these photographs were taken between 1936 and 1938 in Alabama and are part of the Library of Congress collection Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 which contains more than 2300 first-person accounts and 500 photographs of former slaves.

One of these accounts as an example (also from Alabama):

Caroline Holland, born in 1849, posted:

One night [in 1861] atter we had all gone to bed I heered a noise at de window, an' when I look up dere wuz a man a climbin' in. He wuz a friend of the family. I could tell eben do I could scarce see him, I knowed he wuz a friend of the family. I could hear my mistis a breathin', an' de baby wuz soun' asleep too. I started to yell out but I thought dat de friend of the family would kill us so I jes' kep' quit. He come in de window, an' he see us a sleepin' dere, an' all of a sudden I knowed who it wuz. 'Jade,' I whispers, 'What you a doin' here?' He come to my bed and put his rough han' ober my mouf.
'Listen you black pickaninny, you tell em dat you saw me here an' I'll kill you,' he say, 'I th'ow yo' hide to de snakes in de swamp. Now shet up.'
Wid dat he went to de dresser an' taken mistis' money bag. Atter dat he went to de window an' climb down de ladder an' I didn't do nothin' but shake myself nearly to death fum fright. De nex' day de oberseer an' de pattyrollers went a searchin' th'ough de slave quarters an' dey foun' de money bag under Jade's cot. Dey tuk him an' whupped him for near fifteen minutes. We could hear him holla way up at de big house. Jade, he neber got ober dat whuppin'. He died three days later. He wuz a good friend of the family, 'peer to me lak, an' de bes' blacksmith in de whole county. I kep'a-wonderin' whut made him want ter steal dat purse. Den I foun' out later dat he wuz a goin' to pay a white man ter carry him ober de line to de No'thern States. Jade jus' had too big ideas fo' a friend of the family.

There are even some audio interviews here. The latest one (the one from 1975) later turned out to be a hoax, though.

e: Almost forgot to ask, but I couldn't find out what happened to the plantation owners after the war. They did retain/rebuild their political and economical influence, I guess, but did their milieu dissolve at some point ot are there still planter families around somewhere?

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 17, 2013

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

There were tons of great anti-monarchists in the Civil War period. There was John Lillburne leader of the Levellers the first ever democratic political party in the country.

And there was also Gerrard Winstanley the leader of the Diggers, a group that advocated radical land reform attempting to save common land that was being enroached by enclosures.

quote:

"The power of enclosing land and owning property was brought into the creation by your ancestors by the sword; which first did murder their fellow creatures, men, and after plunder or steal away their land, and left this land successively to you, their children. And therefore, though you did not kill or thieve, yet you hold that cursed thing in your hand by the power of the sword; and so you justify the wicked deeds of your fathers, and that sin of your fathers shall be visited upon the head of you and your children to the third and fourth generation, and longer too, till your bloody and thieving power be rooted out of the land."

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

cloudchamber posted:

And there was also Gerrard Winstanley the leader of the Diggers, a group that advocated radical land reform attempting to save common land that was being enroached by enclosures.

Chumbawamba - English Rebel Songs 1381-1914 (Grooveshark album link)

While mostly known for their song Tubthumping, the album "English Rebel Songs 1381-1914" is an excellent work, and contains some songs from people and events of this and the previous page. The first track is "The Diggers Song", but all of them are great.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
These old WTC advertisements (or in this case, an anti-advertisement) are great. Keep in mind that the son of one of the guys behind this is Douglas Durst, who now owns a controlling stake in the new WTC after he also whipped out a full page ad complaining about the new one.

Note: I'm not sure if this is considering table breakage since it is long vs. wide.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

You don't think America had their share of genocidal noblemen as inspirational anti-monarchical figures? Oh, who's being naive, Kay?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 18, 2014

no_one
Mar 17, 2004
i'm a lying jerk
Lipstick Apathy
The story goes (I've no idea if it is true or not), that the Crown Prosecution Service were rather insistent that they had a statement from PC Peach, despite being told several times PC Peach was actually PD Peach, a Police dog, so the case handler sent them this: :3:

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

no_one posted:

The story goes (I've no idea if it is true or not), that the Crown Prosecution Service were rather insistent that they had a statement from PC Peach, despite being told several times PC Peach was actually PD Peach, a Police dog, so the case handler sent them this: :3:

Oh no, poor Peach is going to be held in contempt. :ohdear:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Anyone know stuff about Guatemala? Because apparently this guy is their president.

Wailing on an AKtar.

v: he's horrible? :smith:

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 18, 2013

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
200 Calorie portions of Various Foods or: Caloric Density's a Real Bitch:

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 17, 2013

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Anyone know stuff about Guatemala? Because apparently this guy is their president.

Wailing on an AKtar.

Yep, he's a former general and graduate of the School of the Americas and did monstrous things during the civil war. Here's his wiki entry:

quote:

Pérez is a graduate of Guatemala's National Military Academy (Escuela Politécnica),[4] the School of the Americas[5] and of the Inter-American Defense College.[6] During his time in the army he served in the notoriously brutal special forces (known as the Kaibiles), as director of military intelligence, and inspector-general of the army. In 1983 he was a member of the group of army officers who backed Defence Minister Óscar Mejía's coup d'état against de facto president Efraín Ríos Montt. While serving as chief of military intelligence in 1993, he was instrumental in forcing the departure of President Jorge Serrano after Serrano attempted a "self-coup" by dissolving Congress and appointing new members to the Guatemalan Supreme Court. In the wake of that incident, Guatemala's human rights ombudsman, Ramiro de León Carpio, became president and appointed Pérez as his presidential chief of staff, a position he held until 1995. Considered a leader of the Guatemalan Army faction that favored a negotiated resolution of the 30-year-long Civil War,[7] Perez represented the military in the negotiations with guerrilla forces that led to the 1996 Peace Accords.[8] Between 1998 and 2000 he represented Guatemala on the Inter-American Defense Board.

Genocide and torture allegations
United States' National Security Archives provide evidence of Pérez Molina's involvement in the military dictator Efraín Ríos Montt's scorched earth campaigns of the 1980s.[12] He was put in charge of counterinsurgency in the Ixil Community in 1982-3, when 80-90% of the villages were razed. At least 184 civilians were killed or disappeared during his deployment. [13] [14]
In July 2011, the indigenous organization Waqib Kej presented a letter to the United Nations accusing Pérez of involvement in genocide and torture committed in Quiché during the Guatemalan Civil War.[15] [16][17] Among other evidence, they cited a 1982 documentary in which a military officer whom they claim is Pérez is seen near 4 dead bodies. In the following scene, a subordinate says that those 4 were captured alive and taken "to the Major" (allegedly Pérez Molina) and that "they wouldn't talk, not when we asked nicely and not when we were mean [ni por las buenas ni por las malas]."[18]
Pérez denies his involvement in any atrocities. "I have nothing to hide," he told Reuters and said he was proud of his role in the civil war.[13] Pérez has never been charged with any human rights violations; however, he is the subject of a new investigation into the disappearance of Efraín Bámaca led by Guatemala's top prosecutor. [19]

Guatemala has been hosed for so long its goddamned depressing. People still get disappeared or killed by "random violence" for speaking out against the government.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Earth posted:

I loved the critique movie of the royal family and how they are actually costing a gently caress ton.

Except that they don't cost a gently caress ton, and actually arguably make millions of £ in tourism. Everyone really should watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

e which was posted last page and I am retarded derp

whiteshark12 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 17, 2013

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

whiteshark12 posted:

Except that they don't cost a gently caress ton, and actually arguably make millions of £ in tourism. Everyone really should watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

Already posted with the holes poked into, compadre;

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Monarchists out.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Hereditary political power is wrong on principle, but who cares if they make some money right?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 18, 2014

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Kate is so cute.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Thanks for this.

And to the rest of you who immediately kneejerk that I'm somehow a hardcore monarchist:

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Earth posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, A Bad Poster. Monarchy is terrible, and should be dismantled.

Map (almost completely) ignores native claims.

VIDEO: Native American confronts conservatives protesting 'illegal immigration.'

JerkyBunion fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 17, 2013

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The things listed on here are language families, not languages. North America was incredibly linguistically diverse prior to European arrival. California had 18 families compared to Europe's 3, Basque, Uralic, and Indo-European. If you want to get picky you could add Turkic as Europe's 4th.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Welcome to Europe. Now speak Indo-European.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
National Union of Journalists members walk out of the BBC newsroom at Broadcasting House as part of a 24 hour strike over compulsory redundancies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/17/bbc-journalists-24-hour-strike

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

System Metternich posted:

e: Almost forgot to ask, but I couldn't find out what happened to the plantation owners after the war. They did retain/rebuild their political and economical influence, I guess, but did their milieu dissolve at some point ot are there still planter families around somewhere?
They held onto their land, and hired back their former slaves as farm hands and sharecroppers at low wages. Here's a plantation house in Edenton, North Carolina:

I've got a lot of (African American) family who are descended from those freed and former slaves (including my wife and, hey, my daughter) and a bunch of folks still live down there. I asked my mother in law if the white folks were nice to them, and she said, "Sure, because we were the labor force. In fact, at the [old plantation owner's] store, they'd let you post date checks for payment, short term loans. Store owner said, 'Always gotta treat your niggers well, no sense making trouble for 'em if it ain't called for.'"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Smirr posted:

The French are hardly poster children for getting rid of monarchy. They had to do that twice, the first time resulting in absolute chaos for a decade and then another monarch, and the second time, it only happened because Prussia kicked their teeth in and took the emperor captive. In 1870. 81 years after the Revolution, 78 years after the abolition of monarchy. Napoleon III had even been president of France before he decided that he would really rather prefer to be emperor.

What I'm getting at is that "If you're gonna shoot, shoot! Don't talk!"
They should have done what the Mexicans did.

This is Maximilian von Götzen-Itúrbide, the current pretender to the imperial throne of Mexico. The reason he lives in Europe and not Mexico is that two of his ancestors, and the only two monarchs in Mexican history, were both executed by firing squads at different times. The second and last one was installed by Napoleon III after France invaded in 1864, taking advantage of the U.S.'s distraction in the civil war.

Two royalist Mexican generals died with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

This is Maximilian von Götzen-Itúrbide, the current pretender to the imperial throne of Mexico. The reason he lives in Europe and not Mexico is that two of his ancestors, and the only two monarchs in Mexican history, were both executed by firing squads at different times. The second and last one was installed by Napoleon III after France invaded in 1864, taking advantage of the U.S.'s distraction in the civil war.

How does he have both Iturbide's claim and Maxmillian's claim? I wasn't aware that they were related in any way. I just thought Maxmillian was used because he was a spare royal hanging around Vienna that needed a job, and so Napoleon III offered him one.

In addition to having awesome sideburns, Iturbide was a Royalist general who happily crushed most of the peasant/republican/nationalist rebels during the earliest phases of the Mexican war for independence. Not until Spain underwent a liberal revolution did he declared Mexico as an independent empire with [Insert Royal Name Here] as its head. Unfortunately, he couldn't find anyone who wanted the job, so he "reluctantly" took it on for himself. Until he got shot, I suppose. Then maybe he was reluctant.

• Locked thread