Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think I'll try the al burro style, thanks for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Cloks posted:

I think I'll try the al burro style, thanks for the advice.
It's pretty tough to gently caress up, but random style tips:
  • Take the butter out when you start, but don't warm it. You could in theory heat it first---you'll have to if you're browning it---but I usually just lop a knob off the stick, eyeballing it. The idea here is to let it warm up a little so it melts more readily when you add it to the pasta.
  • Grate the p. reggiano as fine as you can---I use a fine microplane.
  • I always strain the pasta with the pot lid instead of draining it into a colander or using one of those loving inserts. This leaves the pasta a little wetter than it would be via another method. This is actually good---some recipes call for adding some pasta water to the sauce, but I just aim to have the fettuccine as wet as it can be without any water puddling in the pot, if that makes sense. I'm throwing too many words at this, you can just eyeball it, I'm just trying to give a feel for something that I don't know how to give discrete measurements for.
  • Throw the butter on the pasta first and work it around. When it's completely melted, add your grated cheese and keep tossing. You can save some cheese as garnish, but you want to toss most of it with the pasta so it melts and emulsifies with the butter. You should end up with something that's surprisingly smooth and creamy looking despite it just being butter and cheese.
  • Serve promptly---this is one of those pasta dishes that goes from perfect to cold and gloopy pretty quick.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Fish that is going to be eaten raw which hasn't been frozen for a sufficiently long time has a risk of giving you parasites, that's all. There's no FDA/health department/whatever definition for what "sushi-grade" means, so a random sushi-grade slab at one fish market might have been frozen to kill parasites while a sushi-grade slab at another fish market might just be "fresh" and full of buttworms.

Just find a decent fishmonger and talk to them to make sure they know what they're talking about.

I'm going by what H Mart says (Asian chain market)

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Have a lot of beef heart (raw) leftover from Valentine's Day - any ideas other than anticuchos?

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
Friend requested I make beef stroganoff, thing is I've never cared for it so I'm not sure what to look for in a "good" recipe. Anyone have a favorite they use? Thanks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Terrormisu posted:

Friend requested I make beef stroganoff, thing is I've never cared for it so I'm not sure what to look for in a "good" recipe. Anyone have a favorite they use? Thanks.
I use something similar to Keller's approach to the dish from Ad Hoc.

I never braise the short ribs, though; I always use the puddle machine. You can use the cream sauce and mushroom part with meat prepared any number of other ways though, and I assume that's the part you're really looking for help on anyway.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SubG posted:

I never braise the short ribs, though; I always use the puddle machine. You can use the cream sauce and mushroom part with meat prepared any number of other ways though, and I assume that's the part you're really looking for help on anyway.

There's really no reason at all to ever do anything other than this.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

beefnchedda posted:

Have a lot of beef heart (raw) leftover from Valentine's Day - any ideas other than anticuchos?

Tacos.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

beefnchedda posted:

Braised in wine with shallots and herbs.

cajunspitfire
Feb 16, 2013

beefnchedda posted:

Beef Heart will make a fine Heart burger.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Where did that Oatmeal thread go? I got me some steel cut oats, and I want to meal them.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

Where did that Oatmeal thread go? I got me some steel cut oats, and I want to meal them.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3309340

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
New cut off beef for tonight: 2 1/2 pounds of round eye roast.

Do I treat it like any other roast? Lowish to cook to desired level then high heat to crisp the outside? Any recipes would be appreciated!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Braise it. You can do a normal oven roast but you'll want to slice it very thin if you don't want it to be tough.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

dis astranagant posted:

Braise it. You can do a normal oven roast but you'll want to slice it very thin if you don't want it to be tough.

Oooh didn't know it was that type of cut. So I could use it for some shredded beef tacos?

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do what SubG recommends for an american alfredo, with a 1/2 teaspoon or so of sodium citrate to prevent it from breaking. Then you can add as much cheese as you like. More or less.

So i'm really intrigued by this, and want to try it.

Where do you buy your citrate from? Because of my job I know all the generic chemical supply companies (Sigma, Fisher, etc) but I have no idea about how food safe lab-grade chemicals are, or if its better to buy stuff listed as "food grade" from say Amazon.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
if I make paella the night before, will it be fine the next day (or even improved ala gumbo/jambalaya). They are similar but I am just double checking.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Oooh didn't know it was that type of cut. So I could use it for some shredded beef tacos?

It has almost no connective tissue and is really bad for braising. It's also kind of tough so you need to avoid overcooking it.

Sear it on medium-high heat in oil then throw it in a super low temperature (200F, maybe) oven until it gets within 15F of the temperature you want, let it rest, then slice it super thin. (or do it in the order you said in your post, it doesn't really matter much) Eat it with horseradish and mashed potatoes and gravy on dinner rolls.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I hate asking food safety questions, but here goes.

I made this delicious-looking banana/peanut-butter cookie dough, then I discovered that the banana I threw in came from a bunch that had mold on the stem. All the bananas themselves look perfectly fine, only a little riper than when I bought them. But the stem looks like someone rolled it in flour. Considering I'll end up cooking the dough, I doubt it'll pose a problem, (I have it sitting in the fridge in dough form right now) but I thought I'd ask you guys first: is it safe to eat after baking? Thanks!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CloseFriend posted:

I hate asking food safety questions, but here goes.

I made this delicious-looking banana/peanut-butter cookie dough, then I discovered that the banana I threw in came from a bunch that had mold on the stem. All the bananas themselves look perfectly fine, only a little riper than when I bought them. But the stem looks like someone rolled it in flour. Considering I'll end up cooking the dough, I doubt it'll pose a problem, (I have it sitting in the fridge in dough form right now) but I thought I'd ask you guys first: is it safe to eat after baking? Thanks!

It's fine. As long as the banana itself looked fine, you'll be OK. Unless you're somehow adding the stems to the recipe?

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Anybody happen to know what fruit this is:

It was in a fruit basket.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Buddha's hand citron! Infuse some vodka with it, or candy it. It's a wonderful treat.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Kenning posted:

Buddha's hand citron! Infuse some vodka with it, or candy it. It's a wonderful treat.

Thanks for the quick response.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Jubs posted:

Anybody happen to know what fruit this is:

It was in a fruit basket.

It's a C'thulemon. It tastes pretty good (until your esophagus melts and your eyes fall out).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Saint Darwin posted:

if I make paella the night before, will it be fine the next day (or even improved ala gumbo/jambalaya). They are similar but I am just double checking.

It'll be okay. I've made and then reheated paella before, and it's been fine. Don't go more than a day, though, because the rice can get pretty icky depending on what kind of paella you've made.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi guys, I've got this hankering for some eggplant and sweet potato tempura and I'm not above doing it myself. Scouring the internet gives me like five different recipes for tempura batter, all with slightly differing ingredients. Some use egg, some don't. Some use soda water, some just use plain chilled water.

I'm not really much for experimenting to get the recipe right since I just want to make it and be done with so I'm appealing to you guys to see what you'd recommend for a beginner to try.

Also, I'd love any recommendations for how to do the tempura dipping sauce correctly. Again, a lot of recipes for this one.

Basically I'm looking for run of the mill sushi-place style tempura. I don't know if there are "better" or more authentic recipes, but I'm used to whatever I get at sushi joints here.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Hi guys, I've got this hankering for some eggplant and sweet potato tempura and I'm not above doing it myself. Scouring the internet gives me like five different recipes for tempura batter, all with slightly differing ingredients. Some use egg, some don't. Some use soda water, some just use plain chilled water.

For the batter:

Make tempura flour by stirring together:
60 parts unbleached, all–purpose flour
7 parts baking powder
9 parts cornstarch

To make the batter, mix together 9 parts of the tempura flour you just made to 5 parts sparkling water, do this right before you fry it.

(This is all by weight)

Edit:

If this is too unspecific, then mix:

600 grams unbleached, all–purpose flour
70 grams baking powder
90 grams cornstarch

Then take 90g of that and mix it with 50g of sparkling water.

Edit2: You're going to want to blanche your sweet potatoes if you don't want for them to be hard as heck. Just slice them into rounds and boil them until they start getting soft, then drain them and pat them dry.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 17, 2013

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm trying to get a flexible microwave. Have come to some conclusions;

Feel free to confirm/deny my findings.

-You can get a decent countertop one for ~$140CAD
-Kenmore is regarded as the goto brand
-Sensory is nice

I have a question about racks. Can you get a grill rack for a microwave after the fact? None I've seen in the mid 100$ have them. And they look useful for certain things. I can't seem to find 'microwave racks' online which makes me think that if you don't get a microwave with a rack, you can't get one separately.

Feel free to make any suggestions!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
What are you planning on doing with your microwave? What types of features are you interested in exactly?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If you're whipping up pancake batter from scratch, how many days does it stay good after you mix it? I've got some in my fridge that's four days old; will I be able to cook it tomorrow?

edit: of course I'll be able to cook it tomorrow :downs:. I mean, will I be able to eat it without poisoning myself after I've cooked it?

VVV: thanks!

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 18, 2013

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?

SubG posted:

Looks perfect, thank you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

If you're whipping up pancake batter from scratch, how many days does it stay good after you mix it? I've got some in my fridge that's four days old; will I be able to cook it tomorrow?

edit: of course I'll be able to cook it tomorrow :downs:. I mean, will I be able to eat it without poisoning myself after I've cooked it?

Your basic batter should have:
Flour
Leavening
Milk
Eggs
Sugar
Salt
oil

The texture might not be as good as fresh and they might not get the same lift, but I think it should be safe.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I needed some spinach for a recipe today but my local grocer doesn't sell it in any amount other than "huge fuckoff bundle" so now I've got lots of spinach that I don't want to waste. Any suggestions for things to do with it other than making salads out of it?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

CzarChasm posted:

Your basic batter should have:
Flour
Leavening
Milk
Eggs
Sugar
Salt
oil

The texture might not be as good as fresh and they might not get the same lift, but I think it should be safe.

One additional point; non-USan's don't always go for poofy raising agenty pancakes. We have the plain crepey kind and they last even longer since there is no baking powder to go off from being wet too long.

(My batter is flour, eggs, milk, bitty salt)

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!

C-Euro posted:

I needed some spinach for a recipe today but my local grocer doesn't sell it in any amount other than "huge fuckoff bundle" so now I've got lots of spinach that I don't want to waste. Any suggestions for things to do with it other than making salads out of it?

I like to cook some lardon, little garlic, add a little chicken stock to the pan and sort of sweat a bunch of the spinach down, finish with a splash of cream.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Doom Rooster posted:

What are you planning on doing with your microwave? What types of features are you interested in exactly?

Can't say exactly. Only really starting out. But attempting to get something that will last a while, and let me experiment with all kinds of cooking.

(Cause I don't know poo poo about cooking currently)

My parent's overhead (non-rotating platform microwave) has one. And I was wondering if since mine would have a rotating platform, it was somehow incompatible with grills.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Ziploc posted:

Can't say exactly. Only really starting out. But attempting to get something that will last a while, and let me experiment with all kinds of cooking.

(Cause I don't know poo poo about cooking currently)

My parent's overhead (non-rotating platform microwave) has one. And I was wondering if since mine would have a rotating platform, it was somehow incompatible with grills.

Do you not have a stove? An oven? A toaster oven?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, the microwave is really not a cooking platform. I wouldn't bother with anything beyond a basic one, use the money on actual cooking supplies and keep the microwave for reheating leftovers.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

VVV: thanks!

I've done this in the past (cooked pancakes after refrigerating the batter), and they definitely cook, but I've noticed they can be a bit gooey on the inside if the batter is cold. I'd suggest warming it up a bit for the best results. Unless you like gooey pancakes (I kind of do...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Doh004 posted:

Do you not have a stove? An oven? A toaster oven?

I do. But it's electric and old. I've read that a microwave is much more efficient than an oven under many circumstances. And since I'll often be making smaller meals, I was under the impression that I would (could?) get a lot out of one if I spend a bit more.