Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery
Will also see what I can do on Synesthesia/Infinite as well this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Do we have a Velious progress update? I feel like I need to ask this question once a year.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
There hasn't been an official update in awhile, and I don't hang out in IRC or read the forums enough to hear much in the way of unofficial rumblings. Last time I heard anything new was last fall, and that was that (allegedly) almost all of the quests, mobs, and factions were done, and they're mostly working on scripting things like the Coldain Ring war. To support that, there's only two quests left on this list: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76729

I really hoped they'd have a beta server up by now to dick around on, and I'm still hoping that they'll get one running before summer.

If anyone else has more info I'd love to hear it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
edit: Put a toon to a great home.

merk fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 28, 2013

BEEAARR!!
Nov 9, 2004

Someone got hit
in the boingloins!

Hit in the boingloins!
Boingloins! Boingloins!
Someone got hit in them!
So what's the raid scene like now? Is it true what I read in RnF about DA being fully gone? I quit from burnout and massive drama in that guild over a year ago, just after they reformed to Fusion(and that subsequently disbanded very shortly after) and it was such a mess I didn't want anything to do with that.

Basically I'm finally going to come back but I'd rather just keep this game casual this time around and I'm looking to get tagged in Unknown here.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

BEEAARR!! posted:

So what's the raid scene like now? Is it true what I read in RnF about DA being fully gone? I quit from burnout and massive drama in that guild over a year ago, just after they reformed to Fusion(and that subsequently disbanded very shortly after) and it was such a mess I didn't want anything to do with that.

Basically I'm finally going to come back but I'd rather just keep this game casual this time around and I'm looking to get tagged in Unknown here.

I'm in the same boat as you. I quit over a year ago because it was just awful. I've started playing again causal the last week or so and it seems a lot better this way.

From what I can tell, DA and Fusion have been long gone for a while and everyone is in either TMO, BDA or Forceful Entry. It sounds like TMO gets 95% of the targets due to sheer size.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Prophecy120 posted:

From what I can tell, DA and Fusion have been long gone for a while and everyone is in either TMO, BDA or Forceful Entry. It sounds like TMO gets 95% of the targets due to sheer size.

This is correct. DA and Fusion are "who?" to the server.

It's been dominated by TMO for a long time. IB and TMO fought for a long time, then IB started losing players to the zerg of TMO (who can typically field 30-40 players at any time of the night). IB started raiding with VD a lot, but that ended up breaking the casual raid nature of VD. IB finally called it quits - most quit the server, or went to EQMac, and a few have even ended up in TMO now.

So VD collapsed, and merged into BDA. BDA still holds it's "mostly casual" raid angle. A few of the guys from VD originally, after several months of being in BDA, couldn't stand BDA's refusual to play dirty, go hardcore, and use DKP. So they broke off into FE, got some other people that had long quit playing to leave BDA and join them (and most of those have since quit again). FE absorbed some smaller guilds for numbers.

So these days, if it's at some crazy rear end hour, and it usually is, it's almost all TMO. Unless it's Gore, because Gore is work, and TMO wipes to Gore a lot, and FE doesn't have the number of skilled raiders to kill Gore yet, so BDA will roll up for Gore. If it's during "prime time", it's typically TMO / BDA / FE. Lots of times it turns into a loot pinata, with everyone zerging, then they wait until a GM shows up and says who got FTE. What's really fun, is when multiple targets are late in window, so TMO is large enough to have groups at multiple targets.

There's still a poo poo ton of drama, training, shenanigans, GM-lawyering, and the server is managed and ran like poo poo. If you're looking for fun raids, stay the gently caress away from P99.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Regarding DA and Fusion: most of them ended up in TMO. It was this boost to numbers (and the slow burnout that always plagues guilds as old as IB) that actually let TMO start competing for mobs, though Zeelot, Alarti, and co. have denied this repeatedly. Before this, TMO mostly stuck to planar trash and training fire giants on people in SolB. Now they're getting pretty much all the mobs they care to and have no competition in VP.

IB/VD largely leaving the server (most of the people who are still really active with EQ1 are playing on EQMac now) did improve the server culture for a while by removing one side of the really nasty end-game slapfight, especially for a few weeks when TMO got raidbanned and BDA left lots of mobs up intentionally for smaller guilds and pick-up raids (and during which a number of us got to do pick-up raids in VP, which was hilarious), but things have pretty much settled back into the standard suck.

Velious is needed badly to open things up a bit, though I pity the people who are going to try to be at the bleeding edge of that content. Enjoy pooping in your socks you brave souls.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
If I ran the server, I'd tell TMO/BDA/FE/XYZ and whoever else to work out a raid rotation or I would magically morph all guild member characters into level 35 rangers. But I don't run the server.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 28, 2013

BEEAARR!!
Nov 9, 2004

Someone got hit
in the boingloins!

Hit in the boingloins!
Boingloins! Boingloins!
Someone got hit in them!
That's pretty crazy, all the poo poo that happened while I was gone. I remember TMO being pretty miniscule when it came to raids too.

I read something about a ton of cheaters getting deleved to 1 for using showeq or something? I saw the list of people it happened to. That's pretty disappointing to see a bunch of players I kind of respected and finding out they had a hand in doing that kind of crap. I guess it was incredibly naive and laughable of me to think the guild was -above- that kind of thing.

I swear I thought that delevel incident happened during the time I was playing though. The question I have though is why those people never got banned considering cheating is supposed to be an autoban thing right?

But anyway I have no interest in heavy raiding so it's kind of a non-issue.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

BEEAARR!! posted:

I swear I thought that delevel incident happened during the time I was playing though. The question I have though is why those people never got banned considering cheating is supposed to be an autoban thing right?

Because it had so many "high end" raiders in it, and a lot of them are chummy with the staff (aka, Rogean). So they kept all their fancy loot, and got PL'd back to 60 by AoE'ing in Skyfire. The same reason the server is so "CLASSIC ONLY", to the point of getting rid of target rings and the compass, but leaves in spawn variance (something which serves to keep the top guild in it's position).

moolchaba posted:

If I ran the server, I'd tell TMO/BDA/FE/XYZ and whoever else to work out a raid rotation or I would magically morph all guild member characters into level 35 rangers. But I don't run the server.

BDA would love a rotation. It's TMO (and now FE I guess) that are against that. They actually, for like a week, did a "/random for Trak". TMO lost the /random twice, so said gently caress it, and went back to everyone sitting on the spawn point.

BEEAARR!!
Nov 9, 2004

Someone got hit
in the boingloins!

Hit in the boingloins!
Boingloins! Boingloins!
Someone got hit in them!
You know, if that EQC server ever finally gets off the ground, I wouldn't mind migrating that way. At least that'll be accurately classic since they're determined not to open it until it's fully complete. But then they've been working on that for like...5-6 drat years now? Longer? Hopefully they'll have less scummy mods.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
The raiding scene is what burned me the gently caress out on p99. I still have a 55 rogue who's sitting there doing nothing but rotting (dude, Illtair, if you want play the gently caress out of him, he might be a change of pace or something)

But I feel like every time I come back, I play for a few weeks, maybe a month where it's seemingly drama free, and then immediately a huge shitstorm happens and I'm stuck hearing about TMO/BDA/FE fuckfest and it just poops over everything. EVERYTHING.

I actually went to live to play, and the lack of drama, tons of awesome new content that really isn't that bad, and some nice people on test have made the game fun to play. i did my 1.0, 1.5 and part of my 2.0, I've done progression quests and small group missions into some really fun content. It's not "Old School" EQ, but it's drama free, and ran by SoE, and while SoE is still assholes, SoE still beats favoritism, rule lawyering and poor server GMs.

Invert
Sep 6, 2005

Made it to level 30 today on my shammy. I've been having a lot of fun and for the most part everyone I have met so far has been extremely nice except for one instance of a member from Forceful Entry. However, I'm still very poor. Do you guys have any good tips on some easy ways to make some decent plat?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
My best recommendation is to keep leveling. Stopping to try to farm cash at level 30 is not going to be very productive. If you're finding that you don't even have cash for spells etc. then ask a goon to hook you up so you can keep going. Once you get close to level 50 and spells start to become pricier and only available from players or mob drops, you'll be able to do things like camp the AC and sell JBoot multiquests, farm seafuries in OOT, camp items with decent resell value in places like Mistmoore/CoM/LGuk/Perma, and get in on XP camps that might produce some decent drops.

If you REALLY want to try to kill stuff to get money RIGHT NOW you could try camping Soblohg in the Swamp of No Hope. He's a level 25-26 named froglok who spawns in one of two places and has a fairly quick respawn. He drops 50-200pp vendor value gems uncommonly, and will rarely drop high end JC gems like black sapphires and blue diamonds that can be sold in EC for whatever the going rate is (used to be 500-4k depending on the gem). I have more information on this though I would basically be reposting stuff that Pillow Armadillo posted on another forum, so hopefully he will chime in cause he's a Soblohg pro.

And if you REALLY REALLY just want to make some money, then go sit in EC for a few weeks and play the buy-low-sell-high game. I've never been a fan personally but some people enjoy it and it's definitely the fastest way to get rich.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

I used to rock a really cool modified velious UI. Showed all of my bags slots without having to bind each spot to a hotkey or open my inventory. Anyone have access to this UI file?

Edit: I've been playing a decent bit again. Took my bard Topsy from 45 to 54 this last week. Got a Pegassus cloak this AM by paying a level 22 necro 300pp to kill the trigger and should hit 55 at some point today.

Edit2: Think I found it here. I'll test it out after work.

ohno fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 8, 2013

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ohno posted:

Edit3: gently caress this game. This server sucks. Gonna go back to playing farmville.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Noway! That's next week.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
First patch in a long time: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98585

No Velious, yet.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Excellent patch. Fungi nerfed, FD nerfed, Mages nerfed, raid guilds nerfed.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I'll never understand Kanras. He loves to nerf poo poo iccenstantly, even when it's not classic. WTF is up with that "resists break FD" poo poo? Am I remembering it wrong? That's not classic is it?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I have stopped playing again, partly due to the lackadaisical attitude of the GMs.

The last time I quit, I felt like the "pack of teenagers" that make all the big decisions would do something to make my time investment null and void (ie the time I was suspended for training, which was reversed, because I hadn't). The staff are pretty much on par with the elitist player shits that sully up the high end part of the game. No one gives a gently caress, and they are smug faced about the fact.

Summation: I'll be back in 2 weeks.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

So these days, if it's at some crazy rear end hour, and it usually is, it's almost all TMO. Unless it's Gore, because Gore is work, and TMO wipes to Gore a lot, and FE doesn't have the number of skilled raiders to kill Gore yet, so BDA will roll up for Gore.
What is Gore? Gorenaire can't possibly be a challenge.

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, I'll never understand Kanras. He loves to nerf poo poo iccenstantly, even when it's not classic. WTF is up with that "resists break FD" poo poo? Am I remembering it wrong? That's not classic is it?
Is it as far as I know. Getting a spell cast on you while FD'd, even when resisted, broke (and still does without AAs today) FD. You have to time your FD carefully when dealing with a caster mob.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

What is Gore? Gorenaire can't possibly be a challenge.

She is. You have to remember what you're working with on this server. It's mostly zergs and lazy people. She does a lot of damage, people don't want to farm up resist gear, she fear bombs a lot, and she complete heals. Things like "build a magic resist set", "make sure to put it on", "spread out bards for MR", "get your MR buffs", and "push from the same side to interrupt heals" make most people gloss over. Especially when you have a guild as large as TMO, that can just faceroll 95% of the other encounter in the games. Sure, they get a lot of deaths, but who cares? FREE LOOT!

Pilsner posted:

Is it as far as I know. Getting a spell cast on you while FD'd, even when resisted, broke (and still does without AAs today) FD. You have to time your FD carefully when dealing with a caster mob.

Well, glad to be wrong! Thanks.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's about drat time they fixed the sneak/invis + standing up from FD interaction. Pull teams with pullers and pickers just got way more useful and welcome back to having to /q off aggro (or get a CoH).

I also love the fact that they're forcing poopsockers to actively compete for a spawn rather than just parking a pet on a spawn point or spamming clicky AEs. The number of non-classic things they're willing to add to address problems with the raid scene continues to be hilarious.

Fungi Tunic is properly non-magic now...which means that rogues can pickpocket it. This can only end in RnF fodder.

"Sundawg: Adjusted see invisibility/ITU/see hide-sneak rates of some NPCs in Kaesora, The Hole, Trakanon's Teeth, Burning Wood, Old Sebilis, Permafrost Keep, Nagafen's Lair, Plane of Hate and Firiona Vie." There's going to be so many dead people, especially rogues, as a result of this, but it's long overdue.

"Sundawg: Some denizens of the more extreme environments of Antonica are now more resilient to the element they are accustomed to." Perhaps Fire Giants will finally have high FR etc. I bug reported that literally years ago, nice to see it's getting fixed. I wonder if they fixed mage pet resists appropriately as well.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Fungi Tunic is properly non-magic now...which means that rogues can pickpocket it. This can only end in RnF fodder.
Googling a bit reveals that there's a level limit on PP, 5 levels below you is the maximum mob level you can PP. Since the king is lvl 56 or 57, the fungi wasn't PPable - but who knows if the 5 level limit is implemented on P1999.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

Googling a bit reveals that there's a level limit on PP, 5 levels below you is the maximum mob level you can PP. Since the king is lvl 56 or 57, the fungi wasn't PPable - but who knows if the 5 level limit is implemented on P1999.

It's not, at least not the last time I checked (about a year ago).

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm going to find another mmo to tool around in. Something with pvp.

Maybe Sony will make things interesting and threaten litigation since p99 is pulling bigger numbers now. Probably not, but it would be amusing to me.

mattmuffinman
Oct 13, 2008
Getting the urge to play again... Gave all my old gear away - anyone willing to throw some newb junk my way?

irrationalx
Mar 17, 2010
just signed up the other day and rolled a gnome necro. its pretty fun. just like EQ way back

irrationalx
Mar 17, 2010
go ahead and add me to the list when you get a chance, i'm definitely going to be active on this server.

Tanggo lv10 necro

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Is AE bard kiting on this server as broken as it seems? Hit ranges for mobs appear to be very different from classic. I'm trying to help out my friend learn to AE bard kite, and I couldn't even get anything going.

The guides on p99 are somewhat helpful, but I feel like I'm really missing something here. Does anyone have any advice?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
AE kiting is "broken" in that it's different than it was on live (hitboxes and run speed are both slightly off on P99 because they needed to be to make some other stuff work), but it's still totally possible to do. Fryedegg leveled up a bard by AE kiting fairly recently, but I think he started playing on EQ Mac instead. I'm not sure if he or other bardy goons are still checking this thread at the moment.

I haven't messed with a bard on this server since early 2010 so I don't have much to say that would be relevant other than AE kiting is tricky and it's all about finding the sweep spot with your run speed vs. mob run speed and how tight to make your turns. Once you get it down gather a huge pull (preferably in a low-pop zone so as not to deny repops to people leveling normally) and enjoy the massive XP.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Hey I feel like kind of a dummy about this, but I checked the p99 site and they made some change to the variance so spawns can take even longer to spawn or something - how does this actually help out the raid scene? I guess makes it harder to poopsock something when you know it has to spawn in the next 16 hours or whatever, but seems like having less raid mobs in total is going to just cause more problems wouldn't it?

edit: not that raid mob decisions on p99 in the past were based on logic either, but I just don't get the advantage.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I thought about posting here about that, but figured "meh", but since you did, I'll comment!

It's loving retarded. That's what it is. The conspiracy theorists out there say this is just more proof that Rogean is in TMO's pocket (or actually in TMO). But I really just think he's that loving stupid. P99 is known as having a miserable raid scene, but I think he just enjoys it that way. A while back they made claims of MORE raid spawns via shortened variance and simulated patch days every two weeks or something. What actually happens? Never-ending spawn windows!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

I'll second that.

P99 is just one huge internet troll.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The logic is clear - it's meant to punish poopsocking in general and to reduce the incentive to sit on a spawn when something gets to the end of the window. And, in a sense, it does do that.

The problem with this and many of the other things they've done to raid mob timers is that they (Rogean) clearly don't understand how this will play out in the actual community on P99. It changes nothing about who will get mobs, gives an even larger advantage to those who can be on call to mobilize/have multiple 60's camped out at various locales/sit on a spot 24/7, and gives everyone on the server more things to be frustrated about. Not to mention it's an even further departure from keeping things CLASSIC, which is allegedly the prime directive behind this server.

What amazes me is that if they're really willing to be non-classic about raid spawns "for the good of the server", then you would think they would implement some changes that might actually help, up to and including a GM enforced rotation or even a planned calendar of raids.

I really wish they would go back to classic timers and do something like an opt-in rotation system where raid mobs were divided up into categories:

On rotation
Off rotation
Perma-FFA

Guilds could choose to either be involved in the rotation system or not. Guilds involved in the rotation could only kill whatever mob they were up for in the rotation, and guilds not involved in the rotation could only kill mobs that were not involved in any rotation. Guilds in either category could go after Perma-FFA mobs at will (things like VP, Planar Trash, Phinny, Yael, PoSky).

Any guild that wanted to be involved in the rotation system would get to vote (majority rule or perhaps taking turns choosing) on which mobs were currently on rotation, and there would be enough mobs on rotation so that each guild involved would be waiting on at least one mob (with some sort of ceiling so that, assuming there are guilds like TMO who would opt-out, no more than half of the non-FFA raids would be on rotation). Once a mob had rotated through all guilds involved, it would have to be off rotation for a certain amount of time. This could work in a few ways - a certain number of spawns would have to happen before it could be voted back on, or there just might be a voted upon order for which rotate-able mobs showed up and the guilds involved just went through them cyclically.

You'd have to set up rules for how long rotation guilds had to take down a mob and things like that, and also rules about minimum numbers and outside assistance to prevent people from setting up shell-guilds to get extra rotation spots (yes, this is P99, people would totally do this), but this seems to be a way to allow smaller, less 24/7 oriented raid guilds to have a shot at attempting and even killing mobs like Trak, VS, etc. who have important epic drops, while still giving a guild like TMO the chance to opt out and get most of the mobs.
...but yeah who am I kidding, that was a waste of :words: right there. Something like this will never happen with the current admins and the raid scene on P99 will always be some version of :hurr: + :derp: + :psyboom:

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 9, 2013

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
Man it's depressing reading about how hosed up the high level raiding content is.

Just recently rolled a SK and am having a blast with the early levels so far. Just switched over from Shards of Dalaya because I found the playerbase too small for mid-end content. Leveling just felt like a race to 65 (although I hear top level content is pretty good).

P99 has been scratching that itch perfectly though, the *journey* itself has been a lot of fun, seems to have a decent population doing middle level content, love the lack of 2-boxing and automap. I've had more fun getting to level 6 in Neriak forest than I have getting to level 30 on SoD. Still, kind of takes the wind out of its sails if the end-game stuff is as bad as I'm hearing it is.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I was in a few different competitive guilds for about 2 years total - there's plenty of people who have a good time raiding and gearing up for a few months before taking a break. If you have the time to put in and enjoyed the drama of competitive PVE raiding from live, there's definitely fun to be had raiding on P99. The problem is that you're exposing yourself to a highly caustic environment of people who have far too much invested in disliking their competition and care more about loving other people over and participating in the forum drama metagame than actually having fun raiding in EQ. If you can stay away from that/ignore it while finding a few kindred spirits to chill with, raiding can be fun for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I was in a few different competitive guilds for about 2 years total - there's plenty of people who have a good time raiding and gearing up for a few months before taking a break. If you have the time to put in and enjoyed the drama of competitive PVE raiding from live, there's definitely fun to be had raiding on P99. The problem is that you're exposing yourself to a highly caustic environment of people who have far too much invested in disliking their competition and care more about loving other people over and participating in the forum drama metagame than actually having fun raiding in EQ. If you can stay away from that/ignore it while finding a few kindred spirits to chill with, raiding can be fun for awhile.

I miss our sky raids together like I miss two spikes in the knees.

• Locked thread