Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Sweet. Talons are pretty good, worth checking out if you haven't heard them before. Definitely considering going to this if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Listen to Light Bearer.

They've got their new album available as "pay what you want" on bandcamp, and play amazing post-rock/metal in the vein of Isis, Cult of Luna and Envy. I can't recommend this album highly enough. Conceptually it's based upon His Dark Materials, Paradise Lost, and the Book of Genesis. The whole thing rules. Get their previous album, Lapsus, and their split with Northless as well.

This band features Alex from Fall of Efrafa by the way.

This is music that it far too good to go unnoticed.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Normally I don't like screamy stuff but Isis' Wavering Radiant is one of the exceptions. So since you compared them to Isis, I gave Light Bearer a listen, and I am super glad I did, it's an excellent album.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh Light Bearer are superb, thanks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really wish someone would take every Isis album and remove the vocals. I straight up can't listen to the early ones because of them.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

precision posted:

I really wish someone would take every Isis album and remove the vocals. I straight up can't listen to the early ones because of them.

Basically this. I hate screamy vocals (except at the end Hún Jörð :allears:). I love The Pirate Ship Quintet and I don't skip the screamy parts, but it's like a blemish on an otherwise outstanding piece.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I am super pumped to see Do Make Say Think tomorrow night in Toronto! I haven't seen them in 2 years and Wavelength put together an insanely good lineup with Evening Hymns, Sarah Nuefeld of Arcade Fire, Doom Squad and Bernice all for $15.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

I am super pumped to see Do Make Say Think tomorrow night in Toronto! I haven't seen them in 2 years and Wavelength put together an insanely good lineup with Evening Hymns, Sarah Nuefeld of Arcade Fire, Doom Squad and Bernice all for $15.

:drat:

Dat deal, man. I really hope Do Make Say Think release something new soon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to Light Bearer's self-titled now. It's good stuff. Not nearly as good/memorable as other post-metal like Isis, Pelican, Cult of Luna, etc., but they've still got a good thing going on.

I wish they'd trim their song lengths down though. drat. The only one under 10 minutes long as a near 3 minute long interlude type track that feels totally unnecessary. The shortest real track, Matriarch, is just over 11 minutes long, and even that one could do with some consolidating. So the rest of the tracks that are several minutes longer definitely could.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Cymbal Monkey posted:

:drat:

Dat deal, man. I really hope Do Make Say Think release something new soon.

So they played as the original 5 piece; just Ohad, Chalres, Justin, James, and Dave. Ohad played a telecaster instead of the hollowbody I've seen him use before. They also had a micro-korg, a roland and another synth set up as well which I don't recall from last time I saw them 2 years ago.

They hit the stage shortly after 1 and played til past 2:30am (latest Toronto show I've ever been to) ripping through mostly old material except the encore "Do"

They also played a song that they had never ever played live before, "Anything For Now" off &Yet &Yet. Amazingly, all of the reviews I have been able to find so far completely fail to mention this but I did find A RECORDING!!!

http://mechanicalforestsound.blogspot.ca/2013/02/recording-do-make-say-think.html?spref=tw

Oh and Sarah Nuefeld was awesome and she brought Colin Stetson out, who owns the barri sax. Evening Hymns were great as always. Excellent times and I love that Toronto finally has an awesome venue with the Great Hall.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Basically this. I hate screamy vocals (except at the end Hún Jörð :allears:). I love The Pirate Ship Quintet and I don't skip the screamy parts, but it's like a blemish on an otherwise outstanding piece.

This is the same reason why I hate Rolo Tomassi. The music is wonderful but when whatsherface opens her mouth I hate it.

It's a shame because she can actually sing really well.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

thehustler posted:

This is the same reason why I hate Rolo Tomassi. The music is wonderful but when whatsherface opens her mouth I hate it.

Wow yeah this is really horrible.

I'm sort of of two minds on screamy vocals. Sometimes they don't bother me (like on the latest Pirate Ship Quintet), other times they make it unlistenable.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

New Light Bearer is incredible

And has screamy vocals.

Go figure.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Speaking of Rolo Tomassi this JUST appeared on the 65daysofstatic Facebook feed:

https://soundcloud.com/rolotomassi/illuminaire-65daysofstatic

Edit: Also here due to massive demand: http://soundcloud.com/65daysofstatic/illuminaire-65daysofstatic

thehustler fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 19, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Going to see Caspian tonight. 3rd time seeing them, 1st time seeing Junius who are touring with them.

I posted about it on Facebook and Phil asked me what songs I wanted to hear :swoon: So needless to say this should be a really dope show.

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Going to see Caspian tonight. 3rd time seeing them, 1st time seeing Junius who are touring with them.

I posted about it on Facebook and Phil asked me what songs I wanted to hear :swoon: So needless to say this should be a really dope show.

Saw them and Junius in Atlanta last night - BADASS show. Second time seeing Caspian, first time seeing Junius (but I have been digging their stuff a lot lately, so I was looking forward to them almost as much as seeing Caspian). The dudes from Caspian also just seem like genuinely *nice* dudes, which makes me like them even more :allears:

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Bagpuss posted:

More bands for ArcTanGent festival http://www.rocksound.tv/news/article/gently caress-buttons-to-headline-arctangent-festival

Future of the Left, And So I Watch You From Afar (gently caress yes!), Islet, Bo Ningen, Gallops, Turbowolf, Arcane Roots, Blacklisters, You Slut! and Talons.

Dat fuckin' line up :awesome:

JESUS CHRIST

Must...get...passport...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Only problem is ArcTanGent clashes with Sigur Ros playing at Jodrell Bank on the 30th. What do I do? :ohdear:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Only problem is ArcTanGent clashes with Sigur Ros playing at Jodrell Bank on the 30th. What do I do? :ohdear:

Sophie's choice, man.

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.
I can't make ArcTanGent because my selfish bitch mum is getting married that weekend. If she'd ever listened to gently caress Buttons or Maybeshewill then she'd stop being so goddamn selfish.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
You should get the DJ at the reception to play some 65daysofstatic so you can pretend that you're there.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

You should get the DJ at the reception to play some 65daysofstatic so you can pretend that you're there.

Message them and get them to record something to play at the wedding, like a message or something.

I am serious about this. They may do it!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

thehustler posted:

Message them and get them to record something to play at the wedding, like a message or something.

I feel like there's several tracks from Silent Running that wouldn't entirely ruin the mood. Time the kiss with the big explosion of sound in Finale.

Edit: We need to come up with the post-rock version of a drop. When it goes from all quiet to all the noises at once. We need a word for that.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 22, 2013

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Bagpuss posted:

More bands for ArcTanGent festival http://www.rocksound.tv/news/article/gently caress-buttons-to-headline-arctangent-festival

Future of the Left, And So I Watch You From Afar (gently caress yes!), Islet, Bo Ningen, Gallops, Turbowolf, Arcane Roots, Blacklisters, You Slut! and Talons.

Dat fuckin' line up :awesome:

gently caress, all that needs to happen is for Vessels to join up and I'm on a plane.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Edit: We need to come up with the post-rock version of a drop. When it goes from all quiet to all the noises at once. We need a word for that.

You mean the crescendo?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

You mean the crescendo?

I feel like crescendo is too vague and usually means the high point after a slow build, not necessarily just a sudden explosion of sound.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Talons is awesome. Hope they release a new album sometime soon. That lineup is insane, I'm assuming the stated goal of ArcTanGent is to spite me personally.

Speaking of 65daysofstatic I've been on a 65dos kick lately. I think I'd written them off at some point in the distant past, but I am listening to all of their stuff now and some of it is really great.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I feel like crescendo is too vague and usually means the high point after a slow build, not necessarily just a sudden explosion of sound.

Like this you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSHyF4x4Cw&t=200s

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Just wanted to chime in and say that I just checked out *shels after seeing them recommended by a previous poster...holy goddamn, this is good.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Kind of, I usually think of it as being more sustained though. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaWV7oNVis

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This week on "gently caress, I Didn't Realize They Put Out A New Album": The Drift released Blue Hour in 2011 apparently, and holy poo poo is it good.

Just listen to this. This should be the new James Bond theme song, it's so badass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTRVMjBXNhI

e: (If you didn't know, The Drift are former members of Tarentel, and put out the excellent Memory Drawings back in '07)

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

precision posted:

This week on "gently caress, I Didn't Realize They Put Out A New Album"...

Post-rock bands are terrible at promoting themselves. It's like they just release albums and say "people will find it."

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

precision posted:

This week on "gently caress, I Didn't Realize They Put Out A New Album": The Drift released Blue Hour in 2011 apparently, and holy poo poo is it good.

Just listen to this. This should be the new James Bond theme song, it's so badass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTRVMjBXNhI

e: (If you didn't know, The Drift are former members of Tarentel, and put out the excellent Memory Drawings back in '07)

shiiiiiit i never even knew that band existed, and Tarentel are one of my favorite post-rock bands like of all time pretty much. Wow. Thank you so much.

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.

thehustler posted:

Seriously tempted. Will definitely give it some thought!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Post Rock Facebook page put up this compilation of Mexican post-rock bands, some of it is pretty good.

e: Oh god screamy vocals strikes again aaaaa!

e2: Terror Cosmico owns

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 26, 2013

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

iamthemorning is a Russian indie neoclassical post-rock band with a singer and they're really loving good. If you only have a few minutes listen to Scotland and Would This Be. The whole album is really nice though.

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you're in or around Los Angeles and you're bored, drop by the Satellite in Silverlake on March 5th. We (Beware of Safety) are playing with Maserati: https://www.facebook.com/events/355096521270610/

Say hello if you make it!

stringstheory
Mar 3, 2005

if you wish to roll a joint from scratch you must first invent the universe:420:

Planetarium posted:

If you're in or around Los Angeles and you're bored, drop by the Satellite in Silverlake on March 5th. We (Beware of Safety) are playing with Maserati: https://www.facebook.com/events/355096521270610/

Say hello if you make it!

Just came by to post this, I'll be there as a birthday present to myself. can't wait!

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Anyone going to see Efterklang on their North American tour that starts tonight? I've been waiting years to see this band, seems like they always conflicted with something in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

nomapple posted:

Listen to Light Bearer.

They've got their new album available as "pay what you want" on bandcamp, and play amazing post-rock/metal in the vein of Isis, Cult of Luna and Envy. I can't recommend this album highly enough. Conceptually it's based upon His Dark Materials, Paradise Lost, and the Book of Genesis. The whole thing rules.

Seconding this. I've had it on repeat for like two weeks now, outstanding.

Also, their album synopsis and the thoughts behind each track are fascinating:
http://lightbearerband.wordpress.com/silver-tongue/

a very small excerpt:
Silver Tongue is an allegorical story about the archetypal woman and the fantastical Judeo-Christian notion of original sin. In the same way Pullman deconstructed the biblical story of the Fall of Man, reversing its original premise to make a statement about the role of Eve that contradicts the misogynist sentiment pertaining to the Old Testament, we, too, attempted to rewrite this story to turn it into an extended metaphor for the emancipatory struggle of women and, ultimately, all of humanity against the inhuman regime of a false god whom, ironically, humans have created in the first place.