Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Steen is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gavok posted:

During the PPV, Matt Striker kept tweeting about how he totally agrees with Jack Swagger's ideals. Not in a heel way, either. It was kind of off-putting.

Matt Striker ‏@Matt_Striker_
Jack Swagger...Illuminati...New World Order....population control ...Martial Law ...FreeMasons ...all good for you.

Most people don't deserve rights n need ppl like Swagger/Coulter to tell them what's good for them. #InternmentCamps #MartialLaw

I have a feeling he was trolling.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Jack Swagger...Illuminati...New World Order....population control ...Martial Law ...FreeMasons ...all good for you.

Most people don't deserve rights n need ppl like Swagger/Coulter to tell them what's good for them. #InternmentCamps #MartialLaw

I dunno I'm willing to believe Striker's a straight up goober.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Striker's been going Republican Heel on Main Event or whatever other shows he still commentates on, but I can't for the life of me remember the context of it (probably a Cesaro or del Rio match). I'm fairly sure it's part of his character at the moment, which of course doesn't say anything one way or the other about what his actual political leanings are (not that I care).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I dunno I'm willing to believe Striker's a straight up goober.

He's probably doing everything he can to move up in the company after they soured on him.

Dude listens to The Smiths. I have never met someone who listens to The Smiths and was Right Wing/Libertarian.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Why did they sour on him? What'd he do?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gatts posted:

Made too many geek references and would argue with Michael Cole. He seemed to be developing into the permanent PPV third and then they just dropped him from Smackdown.

He's still well respected since he's the guy who evaluates promos for tryouts.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Gatts posted:

He marked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkxPO62awaA

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
He has literally said "this is a mark out moment, IM MARKING OUT BRO!!!"

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

He's probably doing everything he can to move up in the company after they soured on him.

Dude listens to The Smiths. I have never met someone who listens to The Smiths and was Right Wing/Libertarian.

Log Cabin Republicans

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

and would argue with Michael Cole.

This pissed me off so loving much. Michael Cole and Lawler would both start literal pissing matches with him because he would correct them when they called spots in the ring and actually bother to put over the guys in the ring instead of plugging inane bullshit. They just wouldn't shut the gently caress up and let him do the thing all 3 of them were supposedly getting paid to do.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My brother's an anti-immigration Republican who tends to lean libertarian on other issues and happens to be a huge Smiths/Morrissey fan.

I still agree that he's trolling given the #InternmentCamps and #MartialLaw hashtags.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 18, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LightsGameraAction posted:

This pissed me off so loving much. Michael Cole and Lawler would both start literal pissing matches with him because he would correct them when they called spots in the ring and actually bother to put over the guys in the ring instead of plugging inane bullshit. They just wouldn't shut the gently caress up and let him do the thing all 3 of them were supposedly getting paid to do.

Sadly this is common in pro wrestling.

There's this video of Tony Schiavonie calling a move a "Mafia Kick" only for Heenan and Rhodes to go off on how stupid it was to call a move correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

A few years later, Tony gets to be the bully on Mike Tenay while Heenan again joins in laughing at "wrestling knowledge" because Tenay knew Lucha move names but I can't find that one on YouTube.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Okay, I somehow missed that one. My bad.

The one that always stuck with me was during Mark Henry's entrance.

Striker: Uh oh! Somebody's about to get their wig split!
Lawler: Haha, what? What are you even talking about?
Striker: Those are the lyrics to his theme music.
Lawler: What is that? God, shut up.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Figurative pissing matches, otherwise we would have had a whole series of additional problems.

"Well, not literally kicked his head off. His head is still on his shoulders. Figuratively is the word you're looking for." God I loved it when Striker went all :eng101: on Lawler.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I remember when Daniel Bryan put Miz in the Cattle Mutilation and when he said the name both Cole and Lawler were like, ":jerkbag: the only mutilation is your commentary :smug:"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jetfire posted:

Figurative pissing matches, otherwise we would have had a whole series of additional problems.

Lawler already trumped them both in literal anal bleeding matches.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

There's this video of Tony Schiavonie calling a move a "Mafia Kick" only for Heenan and Rhodes to go off on how stupid it was to call a move correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

To be fair, Tony Sheeavonn is kind of a dumb gently caress. And Heenan gets to make fun of whoever he wants to.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

KungFu Grip posted:

He has literally said "this is a mark out moment, IM MARKING OUT BRO!!!"

Was this actually confirmed as the problem or did Goons just "2+2=5"? Like, I'd get it if Striker used a term like "heel" or "face" or even "kayfabe", a term Vince himself liked to toy around with on commentary, but "marking out" seems so comparatively innocent to such terms.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Twitter Fact: Steen is great

quote:

Kevin Steen ‏@FightSteenFight

“@ROHMichaelElgin: #Elginmode fact: I'm a great cuddler” #Elginmode fact: You're a terrible tweeter.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

incredible bear posted:

Was this actually confirmed as the problem or did Goons just "2+2=5"? Like, I'd get it if Striker used a term like "heel" or "face" or even "kayfabe", a term Vince himself liked to toy around with on commentary, but "marking out" seems so comparatively innocent to such terms.

Striker also annoyed the poo poo out of JR, King & Cole.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Striker seems like a guy that would be fun to talk about wrestling with or watch wrestling with, but gets to involved to be a good commentator. Yet again we had Super Heel Cole, so clearly WWE just hates Striker.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

incredible bear posted:

List of PPV shows Striker announced since Royal Rumble 2011:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

VogeGandire posted:

Rab Florence and Greg Hemphill are actually pretty involved in Scottish indie wrestling.

Doesn't stop Rab being an utter cock though.

Naw, Rab is wonderful

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

incredible bear posted:

According to sources Striker before this point had been read the riot act on "putting himself over at the expense of the product" and the Royal Rumble call was the last straw. Though as much as anything he was just the coommentary teams whipping boy, all of them being complete bully's as the "what they didn't want you to see" videos have shown.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skinty McEdger posted:

According to sources Striker before this point had been read the riot act on "putting himself over at the expense of the product"

I love this considering there is seriously like 2-3 minute arguments happening between JBL and Cole while Josh keeps trying to bring attention to what happens in the ring.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The best Striker moment is when Sheamus won his first WWE title completely clean in a tables match over Cena, Lawler and Cole start babbling about some sort of conspiracy, and Striker makes this face like "See what I have to work with? Can you believe these chucklefucks?"

Somebody made a gif, if I recall.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

If Striker would reign in his stupid insider phrases poo poo and making up facts on the spot he wouldn't be too bad. I lost my poo poo last night during the pre-show when they showed Tensai in the lingerie and Striker said "I've gotta be honest, I've been with worse."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I remember at whichever PPV Wade Barrett got his title shot on in that 6-Pack Challenge Matt asked Lawler for his expert analysis, Lawler says some meaningless nonsense, and Matt just says under his breath, "30 years, Jerry."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Striker was a terrible commentator, what the hell is wrong with you people?

He was like some IWC show recapper with cute names for moves and intricately involved nicknames for wrestlers.

All I ask out of my commentators is they call the moves, frame in the action in the context of the bigger story and pop for the important stuff. ITS NOT THAT loving HARD WWE.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I remember at whichever PPV Wade Barrett got his title shot on in that 6-Pack Challenge Matt asked Lawler for his expert analysis, Lawler says some meaningless nonsense, and Matt just says under his breath, "30 years, Jerry."

Striker would try so loving hard to get them to talk about wrestling and they would just shoot him the gently caress down to tow company lines all the time. There was another incident from around the same time where at the start of a match Striker said "Jerry, as a WWE Hall of Famer, you've been in matches like this plenty of times in the past, what can you tell us about what's going through the minds of these competitors right now?" and he just said something "How should I know? Shut up."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I miss JR.

I'll take Striker over Cole and Lawler, who doesn't give a poo poo anymore, any day. I wish they'd want to add some credibility to what they do, hopefully Hunter understands when he gets around to it. Scott Stamford would be good I imagine but he's not going to give up his day job at ESPN to call Wrassling.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Gatts posted:

I miss JR.

I have no clue if you've heard JR's commentary recently but no, he's pretty bad now.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Suben posted:

I have no clue if you've heard JR's commentary recently but no, he's pretty bad now.

I miss 1991-1994 Jim Ross.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Suben posted:

He's been conditioned to save his best material for when he hears glass breaking.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

coconono posted:

Striker was a terrible commentator, what the hell is wrong with you people?

He was like some IWC show recapper with cute names for moves and intricately involved nicknames for wrestlers.

All I ask out of my commentators is they call the moves, frame in the action in the context of the bigger story and pop for the important stuff. ITS NOT THAT loving HARD WWE.

Yeah, I agree. After Striker left ECW he was terrible in almost every way. While on ECW he was pretty good. I'm glad he's not commentating anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Striker making poo poo up was annoying, but his constant attempts to bring up psychology annoyed me more. A normal hold like a hammerlock would happen and then Striker would harp on how he's focusing on the arm and what great strategy it was when you the fan knew the arm would not factor into the match at all.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPV0Lpm42Qk

THIS IS THE OPPORTUNITY THAT PISTON HONDA NEEDS

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Striker making poo poo up was annoying, but his constant attempts to bring up psychology annoyed me more. A normal hold like a hammerlock would happen and then Striker would harp on how he's focusing on the arm and what great strategy it was when you the fan knew the arm would not factor into the match at all.

To each his own, but I much preferred this over Cole and Lawler's "Wow that a great throw from Del Rio(in reference to a German Suplex), to your point King, The Shield are such grade school bullies. Let's talk about them more instead of focusing on the match."

Also gently caress the haters, I loved the zillion nicknames Striker would have for everyone. "Poison Fist of the Pacific Rim". C'mon, that name rules.

To further my point, you could watch any given match from the 80's or 90's and be given the total history of that feud throughout the match. 20 years from now people are going to be watching random wrestling matches from now and have no loving idea why they are happening or why they're a big deal because all Cole and Lawler talk about is the main event or loving Touting or WWEACTIVE.

LightsGameraAction fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I just want someone who calls moves. But knowing Vince "WHATAMANUVER!" McMahon, that's a pipe dream at this point.