Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gyges posted:

Is it wrong that Mangapanda's prodigious watermarking with no regard to what's going on under the watermark annoys me more than their lovely translations?

No, that's just part of what I meant by subpar editing.

Anyway, to move away from the topic of terrible scanlation groups: it's a bit old, but this short from Murata is pretty goddamn amazing.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I wish I could draw like you do, man your writing is really good, badda bing badda boom it's raining chocolate peanutbutter cups.

Sure, but that's a lovely start to making something new together. It's odd to say "Hey, you know that story you've been working on for a few years? How about I go back and start redrawing it all over again.".

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Nah they are both pretty reprehensible practices. I just don't get scanlation watermarking at all, like, what's the motive behind it? Internet semi-fame? It's just so loving asinine.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

Nah they are both pretty reprehensible practices. I just don't get scanlation watermarking at all, like, what's the motive behind it? Internet semi-fame? It's just so loving asinine.

Internet fame / asshattery

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Prison Warden posted:

A lot of it is some sad ploy for ad-revenue [as in the case with manga hosting watermarks]. When groups do it it's usually for donations. Really. They want people downloading it from their site or from their IRC so they can goad you into donating to them or something. The A-Team was really notorious and pathetic for this when they literally held their scans hostage around Christmas time while waiting for donation goals to be hit before releasing their chapters. This was about 2 years ago, I don't think they do it anymore now that others have picked up their series.

These Mangapanda watermarks aren't even all that obnoxious, it gets so much worse.
I've only seen one watermark that's worse than that, and it was some group doing Big Order? I'm not sure. They saved all of their images as gifs and put an obnoxious black frame with text as the first slide. A lot of readers strip gifs and only display the first frame - so on those sites you'd just see a horrible wall of "Don't read on this website" text.

Edit: Example of the latter.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 17, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The worst is when you have a site that uses watermarks ripping their scans from another site that also uses watermarks, for a series where the group that scanlates it watermarks there releases. You can end up with horrendous triple/quadruple watermarked, horrifically artifacted monstrosities.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

AnonSpore posted:

Anyway, to move away from the topic of terrible scanlation groups: it's a bit old, but this short from Murata is pretty goddamn amazing.
Holy poo poo that is amazing.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Unlucky7 posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing.

Yeah, always awesome when an artist loves what they do enough to spend even their free time coming up with insane poo poo like that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

Yeah, always awesome when an artist loves what they do enough to spend even their free time coming up with insane poo poo like that.

How do we know he wasn't just stuck at work and venting his frustrations in an odd but fun manner?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Murata works way too much to hate working. The man will post tweets at four in the morning Japan time about how he finally got the texture of wool looking right or something.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

He managed to draw his scenes in surfaces perpendicular to each other in a way that maintains the correct perspective when viewed from the right angle, dude is a genius.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AnonSpore posted:

Murata works way too much to hate working. The man will post tweets at four in the morning Japan time about how he finally got the texture of wool looking right or something.

Just because you'd rather be doing one thing doesn't mean you hate the other thing. Dude could really just have been wanting to go fishing and knew he couldn't or something.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

This is fantastic. The way he used the holes he made in the paper as light sources... pure genius.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

tsob posted:

Just because you'd rather be doing one thing doesn't mean you hate the other thing. Dude could really just have been wanting to go fishing and knew he couldn't or something.

I dunno. Dude's literally drawn a manga about drawing manga. I think it really shines through how much he enjoys what he does, and frankly it makes me pretty envious.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
A lot of the time when you hear mangaka and such interviewed they trot out the old "the most important thing in manga is the heart behind it", so often I was starting to think it was getting a lame cliché that bad artists used to cover up their shortcomings. But when you see stuff that Murata and others put out, and you can feel the effort and love behind what they do it really brings home how true that is.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Prison Warden posted:

A lot of the time when you hear mangaka and such interviewed they trot out the old "the most important thing in manga is the heart behind it", so often I was starting to think it was getting a lame cliché that bad artists used to cover up their shortcomings. But when you see stuff that Murata and others put out, and you can feel the effort and love behind what they do it really brings home how true that is.

The thing is about the bad artists is that if they take that 'Heart behind it' seriously then they'd work at being better artists. the difference between them and murata is that murata works day in day out to improve while the bad artists probably dont.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

The thing is about the bad artists is that if they take that 'Heart behind it' seriously then they'd work at being better artists. the difference between them and murata is that murata works day in day out to improve while the bad artists probably dont.

The same with anything really. The best have worked incredibly hard behind the scenes for years on end.

I need the conclusion to this meteor business soon.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I think we all have a good idea how it's going to end.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
It'll end badly, if she wanted to bat the asteroid away then she should have brought an electric guitar.

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
Still pretty badass.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

minus was a good webcomic.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm no Murata :(

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Al-Saqr posted:

It works... I like it.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Al-Saqr posted:

That's great. Not just the art matching but it still works, maybe even better than the original, if you don't know who Saitama is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

That's great. Not just the art matching but it still works, maybe even better than the original, if you don't know who Saitama is.

Yea, I don't think that's true. The original is a little girl gearing up to bat away a meteor. Saitama only works if you know who he is because otherwise he just looks like another part of the crowd above preparing for the end, albeit with surprise mid-shop in his case.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The little girl is actually omnipotent so I think the original version is improved by not knowing the context.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 20, 2013

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008

Elysiume posted:

The little girl is actually omnipotent so I think the original version is improved by not knowing the context.

Wow, yeah, that's definitely true. I'd never read the comic, just saw that one. Now knowing that, I'm disappointed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Elysiume posted:

In the comic? There's more?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
There is. It's not great. Walk away, you only have art to lose.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I probably should have spoiler tagged that, huh. Minus is the comic's name.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

tsob posted:

Yea, I don't think that's true. The original is a little girl gearing up to bat away a meteor. Saitama only works if you know who he is because otherwise he just looks like another part of the crowd above preparing for the end, albeit with surprise mid-shop in his case.

Even if you don't know who he is, the cape and body posture mean he's chosen to save the day. Very similar to the little girl except a grown man. If we want to look way too far into it, as an adult and unlike the little girl he would know he wasn't going to survive the attempt but was choosing to go out fighting anyway.

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 21, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ak Gara posted:

I think we all have a good idea how it's going to end.

Someone watched FLCL.

I should rewatch that sometime, so drat good.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Minus is not a cute comic. She is a horrifying monster who needs to be destroyed.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Minus is not a cute comic. She is a horrifying monster who needs to be destroyed.

Thanks, Lex.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I did not know of minus before.

I binged through all of it.

It was exhilarating.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Minus was fantastic. I enjoyed the idea of an omnipotent little girl who treats solutions as a child would.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

There is. It's not great. Walk away, you only have art to lose.

On the other hand, Great!, by the same guy, is great, and you should read it because come to think of it, it gives me some OPM vibes. Beware of repeated mood whiplash, though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

advokat posted:

On the other hand, Great!, by the same guy, is great, and you should read it because come to think of it, it gives me some OPM vibes. Beware of repeated mood whiplash, though.

This is both amazing and depressing. I love this guy's comics so much.

Minus is great if you take it light heartedly. But you're right, that meteor comic was more powerful to me before I knew who that girl really was.

Edit:-

Jeez what is with this guy and bringing both a feeling of hope and sheer nihilistic oblivion?!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 22, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

advokat posted:

Welp, there went my afternoon. It was pretty great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

As of now (2:15 AM EST) Murata is streaming. He's coloring an illustration of Metal Knight, one of the S class heroes.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebu-kuro1

And just as I post it he says he's gonna get something to eat, but he'll be back.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 23, 2013