Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

What's everyone's thoughts on adapting Contax G lenses? There will be an adapter the NEX series that will have full aperture and autofocus control though I'm not sure if you can manually focus with it.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/contax-g-to-nex-successfully-developed/

The price of some the lenses don't seem too bad for CZ lenses; at least the 28/2.8, 35/2, 45/2, and 90/2.8 are. Although the cost of the adapter could offset that somewhat but I doubt the adapter and one lens would push it into the E-mount CZ 24/1.8 range. The lenses will probably even more awesome when the full-frame NEX comes out. Not to mention that the 28/2.8 and 35/2 are pretty compact. Almost a pancake but they both seem to be about 1/4" longer than the Sony 16/2.8 pancake. I'm contemplating on the 28/2.8 if I were to start off.

And while I'm asking about lenses, what is a better option for a wide-angle zoom? The Sony 10-18mm f/4 E-mount or the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 A-mount which I'll couple with my LA-EA2 adapter? The Sony will be more compact (I think) and have optical image stabilization (though that's not terribly important to me at those focal lengths) while the Sigma is faster (but the LA-EA2 may reduce that advantage), has a longer focal length, will have a faster autofocus thanks to the LA-EA2 adapter, and cheaper because I already have the LA-EA2 adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Do any of the newer NEX cameras let you do sweep panorama while manually setting the exposure?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Edward IV posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on adapting Contax G lenses? There will be an adapter the NEX series that will have full aperture and autofocus control though I'm not sure if you can manually focus with it.

The price of some the lenses don't seem too bad for CZ lenses; at least the 28/2.8, 35/2, 45/2, and 90/2.8 are. Although the cost of the adapter could offset that somewhat but I doubt the adapter and one lens would push it into the E-mount CZ 24/1.8 range. The lenses will probably even more awesome when the full-frame NEX comes out. Not to mention that the 28/2.8 and 35/2 are pretty compact. Almost a pancake but they both seem to be about 1/4" longer than the Sony 16/2.8 pancake. I'm contemplating on the 28/2.8 if I were to start off.

And while I'm asking about lenses, what is a better option for a wide-angle zoom? The Sony 10-18mm f/4 E-mount or the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 A-mount which I'll couple with my LA-EA2 adapter? The Sony will be more compact (I think) and have optical image stabilization (though that's not terribly important to me at those focal lengths) while the Sigma is faster (but the LA-EA2 may reduce that advantage), has a longer focal length, will have a faster autofocus thanks to the LA-EA2 adapter, and cheaper because I already have the LA-EA2 adapter.

Aren't the Contax G lenses very similar to the Zeiss ZM lenses? In any case, they're still Zeiss glass, so I'd expect the lenses to be excellent.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm enjoying the 15mm pancake on this om-d.

P2170102.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Also enjoying reverse mounting my p67 lens to it. Can't wait for the grip to show up though.

P2170054.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥

DoktorLoken posted:

Do any of the newer NEX cameras let you do sweep panorama while manually setting the exposure?

I'll double check this when I get home but I'm almost 100% sure I was shooting panorama while in manual exposure. I use a NEX-C3

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Really really torn between the Olympus OM-D and the Fuji X-E1.I have a ton of Canon gear and a meh canon body so it'd make sense to upgrade the body but those mirrorless cameras are just so fine and the EOS M is so lame. I've been reading reviews online and it sounds like the OM-D has a decent amount of technical advantages but people just seem to love the Fujis anyway.

I should really just wait until the rumored 7DII drops and then pick up a cheaper 7D but that tax refund is just sitting there do nothing except cushioning me against an emergency.

Gurz
Sep 9, 2000
THE 12" DILDO IN MY ASS IS ONLY A PLACEHOLDER FOR PULSATING HOT COCKS
I'm glad I made the jump from MFT (Panasonic G3) to Sony (Nex 6) - my Manual lenses just became more usable due to the larger Sensor and Focus peaking rocks.

I'll keep the Panny 20mm and 14mm and sell the G3 and zooms.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

hcenvirons posted:

Really really torn between the Olympus OM-D and the Fuji X-E1.I have a ton of Canon gear and a meh canon body so it'd make sense to upgrade the body but those mirrorless cameras are just so fine and the EOS M is so lame. I've been reading reviews online and it sounds like the OM-D has a decent amount of technical advantages but people just seem to love the Fujis anyway.

I should really just wait until the rumored 7DII drops and then pick up a cheaper 7D but that tax refund is just sitting there do nothing except cushioning me against an emergency.

I had to make the same decision, and went with the X-E1, although I'm not sure I'd do the same thing again. The X-E1 will destroy the OM-D on high ISO and the 18-55 it ships with is superior to the 12-50; however, bear in mind that with the OM-D, you get weather sealing, and nothing on the Fuji is sealed. At least if you go with the OM-D, you'll gain the backing of an actual standardized mount. This means that you can use awesome lenses like the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 or 25/1.4. Also, the articulating LCD on the OM-D or GH3 allows for TLR-like street shooting, which is great for shooting from the hip.

e: People (I) love the Fuji for it's IQ, good lenses, long battery life, and high ISO perf.

krooj fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 18, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

krooj posted:

Also, the articulating LCD on the OM-D or GH3 allows for TLR-like street shooting, which is great for shooting from the hip.\

I really love this feature, and only wish it would swivel around to face the front of the camera as well (like the E-5), but that probably would have added to the size more than it was worth.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The fun thing about shooting digital instead of film, like I normally do, is being able to play around with post processing more :snoop:

Also, I'm really happy with the Sigma 19 2.8

Firepit by iantuten, on Flickr

Tobes by iantuten, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I guess I don't see why people consider weather sealing such a useful feature. Most of my photography is of storms and I'm constantly in the rain, and have never had any issues with my T2i or x100. Isn't the 12-50 the only lens that's sealed anyways?

The Fuji lens situation is what pushed me over Olympus or Sony. The 18-55 2.8-4 IS rocks and sweet primes like the 18mm f2 don't really exist on other mounts. Or if they do, they're nowhere near $600.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The 60mm macro is weathersealed too, and the 4/3rd adapter is weathersealed so you can mount all those and maintain weather sealing I think.

I've used my d5000 in light rain too, but I never felt safe about it, and there was always the chance for something bad to happen (especially if you didn't dry it off when you got out of the rained). It's kinda nice having to not worry about water damage and the like without losing your warranty (or your pictures if something bad happens).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

One thing that tipped me over to the OM-D is that it has a selection of great primes which are cheaper than the Fuji X ones, not to mention smaller as well. Not to mention the 5-axis IS and that their RAWs don't suffer from the same issues as the Fuji X-Trans RAWs seem to face with ACR.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Goddamn, if I can get the NEX and then adapt Contax G glass to it, then --- :stare:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Goddamn, if I can get the NEX and then adapt Contax G glass to it, then --- :stare:

pigs will fly?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

pigs will fly?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I was making fun of the thought of you actually buying a camera :argh:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just want G glass plus a G1 or G2 :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

QPZIL posted:

I just want G glass plus a G1 or G2 :(

Well so do I, but this would be a really nice turn of events :)

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm going to wait to see whether the X100 drops in price a lot when the new one comes out, but I do kind of want a light, compact digital camera. I'm enjoying the hell out of my Zorki film camera, and I don't think I will ever be able to go back to a big DSLR again. I will liquidate the D200 and 24-70 to pay for all this jazz :)

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Helicity posted:

I guess I don't see why people consider weather sealing such a useful feature.

It allows you to give fewer fucks about your gear in inclement weather? IIRC, the Panny pro zooms are sealed, but you pay (~$1200)

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Zalgo posted:

I'll double check this when I get home but I'm almost 100% sure I was shooting panorama while in manual exposure. I use a NEX-C3

Has this been confirmed? I was playing around with my C3 last night and in panorama mode I couldn't figure out how to change aperture or shutter speed.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Weather sealing? Pah! Just put your camera in a plastic bag with a hole for the lens.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Been through two hurricanes with my old D50 and it made it through just fine. I did wrap it with a plastic bag.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Costello Jello posted:

Been through two hurricanes with my old D50 and it made it through just fine. I did wrap it with a plastic bag.

Well that's just cheating.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My half educated ramblings:

The Fuji X Series is winning fans by offering excellent final images and a system ethos that comes across as pro-photographer rather pro-consumer (pro is in being-for, not -fessional) by offering primes over zooms, aperture rings, hybrid viewfinder, etc. (compared to say the EOS-M, which comes across slightly anti-photographer in order to protect their DSLR sales) This popularity is inspite of the bodies, which are a step behind the best when it comes to features like autofocus, image stabilization, or eldctronic viewfinders.

OM-D has been a success based purely on the fact it's a topnotch camera that gets just about everything right, while happening to have a mature lens system to attach.

The OM-D is the better camera, Fuji is the more interesting system. I'd like the Fuji myself.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
What really excites me is what Fuji will do with the next revision of the XPro-1 and X-E1. Hopefully we see higher resolution sensors and better EVFs that carry over the X100s' split prism manual focusing. It would be doubly awesome if they worked with a company like Metabones to make autofocus work with 3rd party full frame lenses, but the photo industry has a lovely track record for cross-collaboration in AF coupling.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Pablo Bluth posted:

My half educated ramblings:

The Fuji X Series is winning fans by offering excellent final images and a system ethos that comes across as pro-photographer rather pro-consumer (pro is in being-for, not -fessional) by offering primes over zooms, aperture rings, hybrid viewfinder, etc. (compared to say the EOS-M, which comes across slightly anti-photographer in order to protect their DSLR sales) This popularity is inspite of the bodies, which are a step behind the best when it comes to features like autofocus, image stabilization, or eldctronic viewfinders.

OM-D has been a success based purely on the fact it's a topnotch camera that gets just about everything right, while happening to have a mature lens system to attach.

The OM-D is the better camera, Fuji is the more interesting system. I'd like the Fuji myself.

The OM-D's systems and AF are great, but the Fuji's ergonomics are really what sold me. No fiddling with menus to change aperture or shutter speed, and quick access to ISO. It's really annoying to go back to "normal" modal cameras and have to dive into menus to change basic exposure parameters.

By the time the XPRO-2 rolls around the split phase/contrast focus will have matured to the point where it should be able to compete with OM-D, and that's plenty fast.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

The OM-D's systems and AF are great, but the Fuji's ergonomics are really what sold me. No fiddling with menus to change aperture or shutter speed, and quick access to ISO. It's really annoying to go back to "normal" modal cameras and have to dive into menus to change basic exposure parameters.

By the time the XPRO-2 rolls around the split phase/contrast focus will have matured to the point where it should be able to compete with OM-D, and that's plenty fast.

You can do all that with an om-d if you want. You don't need to dig through menus at all.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I do reckon there is a room for a third body in their line-up; the X-Sport1. Basically their take on the OM-D, with a real focus on speed (SLR not rangefinder inspired layout, 10+fps, EVF only, on-chip phase AF, 5 axis in-body IS, battery grip with portrait shutter release, back-button AF).

A budget XE, a premium 'street/landscape/studio' X-Pro and a premium X-Sport for action/wildlife would give them a hell of a more sensible range than the other CSC manufacturers have (which mostly seem to be feature removal to lower price).

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Don't make too much fun of him, or he might actually start sharing photos too. :v:

Coincidentally, this is a nice shot.

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm enjoying the 15mm pancake on this om-d.

P2170102.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr
Straight out of camera?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

genki posted:

Don't make too much fun of him, or he might actually start sharing photos too. :v:

I might too, if I didn't have to spend 45 minutes scanning a roll in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Martytoof posted:

I might too, if I didn't have to spend 45 minutes scanning a roll in.

Yeah, what the hell do you think he takes those pictures for, so he can develop and scan and show them off? Jeez guy.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
So I got a Nex6 and an FD 50mm 1.4 ssc.

Also got the Sigma 19mm 2.8 for it. It's a nice lens, but no where near as fun.

ease fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 23, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only thing I'm worried about with the NEX-5N that I want to pick up is that the 1.5 crop will make finding a decent ~50mm (equiv) lens will be annoying. There are more good 50mm fast lenses than there are 35mm fast lenses, and I'm aiming for something with a final 50mm equiv :(

Not to say I hate ~80mm equiv. It's great for portraits and I love shooting portraits too.

I'm basically going to have to scour flickr for good NEX-5N with MF 35mm lenes to see what would be a good pickup.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

The only thing I'm worried about with the NEX-5N that I want to pick up is that the 1.5 crop will make finding a decent ~50mm (equiv) lens will be annoying. There are more good 50mm fast lenses than there are 35mm fast lenses, and I'm aiming for something with a final 50mm equiv :(

Not to say I hate ~80mm equiv. It's great for portraits and I love shooting portraits too.

I'm basically going to have to scour flickr for good NEX-5N with MF 35mm lenes to see what would be a good pickup.

get a takumar 35/3.5. Don't look back.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The Sigma 30mm 2.8 is really great and very affordable. I haven't found anything that can compare at that price point trying to get close 50mm equivalent. 5N + Sigma 30mm is a great walk around setup if you like shooting around 50mm.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just received my 3rd Takumar 55mm and all three have been rather different. My SMC that was sharp corner-to-corner at f1.8 has a small chip in the front element and a cold hue to it that annoy me for some reason. The physically perfect and warm Super is extremely soft in the corners wide open. I have this urge to roam garage sales, pawn stores, and eBay buying multiple copies of various MF lenses until I find the perfect copy in the perfect condition.

What have I become? :smithicide:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Martytoof posted:

It's slightly longer than you want, but I've heard good things about the Konica 40mm f/1.8. Tiny, too.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
I have a 40mm f/1.8. Works amazing. Although I've heard you copies can differ greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Martytoof posted:

28mm f/2.8 lenses are fast and cheap, much like your mother, Trebek.