Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

divinebovine posted:

The GW document doesn't say what armorbane does, thats for vehicles right?

Oh by the way, thanks for all your help everyone who offered it. I was really not sure of what to do, and I was worried that, using imperial guard, I would just get shot off the table at such a low point value. I have a little better idea now.

Armorbane allows you roll an extra D6 when determining Armor Penetration. S5+2D6 pen should be able to handle a Dreadnought or some Killa Kans if someone takes one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Photos of my Mega-dread progress:

The engine:

The back:

KillKannon:

Feet:

You can take it apart:

Still got loads and loads of work left to do. I am working on the feet at the moment. Need a Rippa-Klaw arm. Major amount of greenstuffing too. This has been seriously fun to make, this is the best part of the hobby. More pics when I have progress and light.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

cat with hands posted:

Don't be too hard on yourself, you have the beginnings of a very good list as far as BA goes.

Very nice paintjob as well, ravens and drop pods in particular look amazing. Wouldn't mind seeing a few closeups of those.

---------------------

Where are the rules for weapons with a minimum distance in 6th? I could swear I saw something before but now I can't seem to find it.....

I forget the exact page number, but it's in there ordnance/barrage weapons.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Raphus C posted:

I just ordered three of those Mega-Armour Nobs from Kromlech. They look fantastic and I want to blow even more on their Cyborks. I have broken my no new purchase rule. It lasted quite long as well.

I had intended to do this, but they are sold out. You can get singles still - how much was it for the whole set?

EDIT: Found it, $55 for 3. Really want this to come back in stock.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 17, 2013

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Raphus C posted:

This reminds me that I own this game, but have never played it. I loved the crap out of the second expansion. It almost got me to stat up Necrons, back in the day. They had some broken poo poo. I remember resurrection tricks with Necrons. One game, after my opponent had wiped my army out and gone to take my stuff out, I resurrected my commander, then resurrected the army he was with, then destroyed the Ork base first. Good times.
Dark Crusade was fun, yeah. It did some innovative stuff for the RTS as a genre. Soulstorm was just them milking the original Dawn of War engine for all it was worth. Dawn of War II in its multiplayer prime, namely Retribution, was the best time I've ever had with a strategy game though.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

SRM posted:

Dark Crusade was fun, yeah. It did some innovative stuff for the RTS as a genre. Soulstorm was just them milking the original Dawn of War engine for all it was worth. Dawn of War II in its multiplayer prime, namely Retribution, was the best time I've ever had with a strategy game though.
The campaign of Retribution felt rather lackluster, and way too easy, compared to Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising though.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

quote:

:words: about IG

Thanks everyone. What loadout do Vendettas use that makes them so good? What makes flyers in general so good, just the combo of lots of guns and hard to hit?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

more like dICK posted:

Thanks everyone. What loadout do Vendettas use that makes them so good? What makes flyers in general so good, just the combo of lots of guns and hard to hit?

Venedettas are nasty enough as stock, with no additions. 12-12-10 armor and 3 twin-linked lascannons on a flyer that can also function as a transport for only 130 points is disgusting. A dreadnought with an upgrade or two costs about the same and has nowhere near the utility. I say this as an IG player :shepicide:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Three twin-linked Lascannons are what you bring with Vendettas. 3 shots that 75% of the time, and hit at S9. A very solid anti-vehicle platform for 130 points.

Not all flyers are great but they're generally good for being very hard to hit and for being able to be effective from the turn they arrive. A flyer can appear anywhere along its player's table edge, move 36" in a straight line and then fire. With a bit of clever positioning it means you can often get good angles on prime targets immediately, and then maybe another couple of decent shots before you have to fly off the table.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

AgentF posted:

Three twin-linked Lascannons are what you bring with Vendettas. 3 shots that 75% of the time, and hit at S9. A very solid anti-vehicle platform for 130 points.

Vendettas are evil. They are 30-50 points too cheap. They cost less than a three las-cannon Predator, can transport troops, are only hit on 6s. Horrible things.

I guess every codex has something that is under-costed, but they take the gold star.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have decided that anyone running slaanesh themed heldrakes must use the phrase "Vector Stroke" instead of "vector strike"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Groetgaffel posted:

The campaign of Retribution felt rather lackluster, and way too easy, compared to Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising though.
It did, I do agree there. The voice acting and storytelling in it was pretty good, and the dialogue was as good as it gets for Warhammer games, but the DoW2 vanilla and CR campaigns were way better. The multiplayer in Retribution was amazing though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

It did, I do agree there. The voice acting and storytelling in it was pretty good, and the dialogue was as good as it gets for Warhammer games, but the DoW2 vanilla and CR campaigns were way better. The multiplayer in Retribution was amazing though.

Counterpoint: the Ork campaign :colbert:

Other than that though, I'd have to agree. I played through the Retribution campaign once with Space Marines to finish up the story from DoWII and Chaos Rising and again for the Ork campaign. I started most of the other races and never got around to finishing them since the missions were all the same regardless of who you played as. I think the Chaos Rising campaign was the best since it wasn't the usual "Orks secretly manipulated by the Eldar to stop an even bigger threat" storyline.

Do people still play Retribution? I've thought a little bit about getting back into it, but I'm not really interested in 1v1s. Because I'm bad.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Bavius posted:

I had intended to do this, but they are sold out. You can get singles still - how much was it for the whole set?

EDIT: Found it, $55 for 3. Really want this to come back in stock.

They posted this on Facebook a little while ago. Just ordered mine :)

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Safety Factor posted:

The Ork Ret campaign is the Dawn of War campaign. Everything else is just back story for the righteousness that is The Marvelous Adventures of Kaptin Bluddflagg and Mistah Nailbrain.

:orks: MISTAH NAILBRAIN! STATUS REPORTA!

:jeb: STATUS REPORTA'S BROKEN BOSS!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

The Ork Ret campaign is the Dawn of War campaign. Everything else is just back story for the righteousness that is The Marvelous Adventures of Kaptin Bluddflagg and Mistah Nailbrain.

This is fact.

Also buying up some mega nobs.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

One of the best little things in the game is with the Kommando Nob dude. He can get an ability that tosses a bunch of whatever grenade he has equipped out in a ring. If he doesn't have any grenades on him he just tosses out a bunch of random poo poo like tires and live rippers he must've picked up from somewhere.

Ork campaign, best campaign.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

cat with hands posted:

Don't be too hard on yourself, you have the beginnings of a very good list as far as BA goes.

Very nice paintjob as well, ravens and drop pods in particular look amazing. Wouldn't mind seeing a few closeups of those.

SRM posted:

You've got some really nice looking planes there; I'd love to see some closeups!

Thanks! I basically had nothing to do with the vehicles, I had them done by Miniature Modellers, a guy called Jeff did them and he made a Youtube vid of the final stuff if you want to check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH1P7idLjAo

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Not the best one in the game but I laughed at:

"So if Kyras has got the Inquisition boys dakka'ing the entire sector..."

"yeah?"

"and Kyras is in da sector..."

"yeah?"

"and Kyras doesnt wanna get zogged..."

"yeah?"

"and da humies wouldn't dakka a place dey already dakka'd..."

"yeah?"

"den Kyras would go to the place the humies wouldn't dakka!"

"I don't follow boss"

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Anyone know the rough dimensions of the warkopta model? Debating some conversion work and I'm not sure how big the expensive official one is.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Not the best one in the game but I laughed at:

"So if Kyras has got the Inquisition boys dakka'ing the entire sector..."

"yeah?"

"and Kyras is in da sector..."

"yeah?"

"and Kyras doesnt wanna get zogged..."

"yeah?"

"and da humies wouldn't dakka a place dey already dakka'd..."

"yeah?"

"den Kyras would go to the place the humies wouldn't dakka!"

"I don't follow boss"

My favorite bit was when you're fighting DAISY (da battlewagon) and the one ork is concerned, saying "BOSS DA NEEDLE'S IN DA RED DAT'S NOT GOOD" and the nob says 'SHUT IT, YA GIT RED MAKES IT GO FASTAH WAAAAGGHH" :3:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

My favorite bit was when you're fighting DAISY (da battlewagon) and the one ork is concerned, saying "BOSS DA NEEDLE'S IN DA RED DAT'S NOT GOOD" and the nob says 'SHUT IT, YA GIT RED MAKES IT GO FASTAH WAAAAGGHH" :3:

Seems like flying guillotine got his wish for an ork thread.

Gojky
Nov 9, 2006
Spiffy!
It was suggested I post this here instead of my own thread.

I had an idea about how to capture and present a video of a warhammer 40k tournament game. (details can be seen in my thread in the dorkroom) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528037

Anyway, I uploaded the videos of the first ForceZ tournament I went to.

The second round of videos are going up on Youtube as we speak. The first one is there already and there rest will be up within the next hour or two.

Head on over to my channel and take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Tabletoptourneys?feature=guide

One piece of feedback I got from the last set of videos was to try and capture all of the table. Unfortunately I didn't get the wide-angle lense for the time-lapse camera in time. However it will be arriving this week and so for the next tournament, we should be good to go!

Gojky fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 18, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Neither of those links work, but I'd like to see your setup.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Force Z is for Jerks and you tell Adam I said that.

Because I am not at all bitter I didn't go for more Brisbane Hams pub 40k.

Of course, I am assuming that you are referring to the Queensland Force Z, otherwise holy crap ignore me.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gojky posted:

It was suggested I post this here instead of my own thread.

I had an idea about how to capture and present a video of a warhammer 40k tournament game. (details can be seen in my thread in the dorkroom) http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3528037

Anyway, I uploaded the videos of the first ForceZ tournament I went to.

The second round of videos are going up on Youtube as we speak. The first one is there already and there rest will be up within the next hour or two.

Head on over to my channel and take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Tableto...s?feature=guide

One piece of feedback I got from the last set of videos was to try and capture all of the table. Unfortunately I didn't get the wide-angle lense for the time-lapse camera in time. However it will be arriving this week and so for the next tournament, we should be good to go!

you've just copy pasted the text from somewhere and the links are abreviated and don't work

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009
I assume these are the right links to the videos & setup: http://www.youtube.com/user/Tabletoptourneys?feature=watch & http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528037

Watched the first battle report - I like the timelapse with voiceover style - gives you a good overview of what is actually happening during the game without being an hour long video that bores you to tears. I take it to pull this off you had to lug a large tripod mount & laptop about the tournament with you though, were you creating the timelapse videos after each game so you could see what you were talking about when doing the voiceovers?

Spamius fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 18, 2013

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

The campaign is fun once, but it's the same missions which bums me out. It was fun to play through once as Marines to finish up the DoWII story, and I played through it again as Chaos a few months ago just to get in the mood before their codex dropped.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Finding ridiculous min-max builds was a little cool, and gathering all the beast end-game weaponry. Get Merrick the Heavy Bolter that lets him call down air strikes and he can solo entire missions.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a compilation of all the apocalypse formations that GW has on their website? Things like the Bloodthirster Bloodbath. They seem to be scattered all over the site.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Babe Magnet posted:

Finding ridiculous min-max builds was a little cool, and gathering all the beast end-game weaponry. Get Merrick the Heavy Bolter that lets him call down air strikes and he can solo entire missions.
My favorite was... Kain? The regular Chaos Marine hero. If you gave him a lascannon, he would fire a continuous stream that would melt anything in its path. You could predict where a boss would go and lead with it a little and just melt anything. Merrick's ability to use any weapon and suddenly cause artillery barrages every shot was awesome. Also, the fact that he's still a sergeant after three games and so many years is hilarious to me. Dude's a champ.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Arbite posted:

Is there a compilation of all the apocalypse formations that GW has on their website? Things like the Bloodthirster Bloodbath. They seem to be scattered all over the site.

I think there's one on Bolter and Chainsword, although it might be power armour only because they are a bunch of cocks.

Gojky
Nov 9, 2006
Spiffy!

Spamius posted:

I assume these are the right links to the videos & setup: http://www.youtube.com/user/Tabletoptourneys?feature=watch & http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528037

Watched the first battle report - I like the timelapse with voiceover style - gives you a good overview of what is actually happening during the game without being an hour long video that bores you to tears. I take it to pull this off you had to lug a large tripod mount & laptop about the tournament with you though, were you creating the timelapse videos after each game so you could see what you were talking about when doing the voiceovers?

Hey thanks, I fixed the links in my post.

And yes, I had to lug a whole bunch of kit... But i think the videos are coming along nicely. The 2nd tournament videos are better than the first, and I will be getting the wide angle lense for the ext tournament. So these can only get better.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I'm pretty sure this is the trailer for the Chaos Daemons codex next month, or for their Fantasy armybook, or both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeYgzDvqOK4
Honestly, I'm just happy that stuff is coming out that I won't want to buy; I've got enough on my plate right now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That slow panning generic skull stopping in a dead halt with the lens flare over it's eye socket is probably the best thing I've ever seen.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Wait, I'm not sure. Which armies feature skulls again?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
AAARRRGGHHH WHERE'S THE LEAKS? :bang:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Warhammer: Daemons of Chaos
96 page full colour, hardback Warhammer Armies book

Codex: Chaos Daemons
104 page full colour, hardback Codex

Chaos Daemons: Plague Drones of Nurgle
This box contains a multipart plastic kit that makes three Plague Drones that are multi-posable and offer collectors a large variety when assembling them

Chaos Daemons: Burning Chariot of Tzeentch/Herald of Tzeentch on Burning Chariot of Tzeentch
This box contains a multipart plastic kit that makes either a Burning Chariot of Tzeentch or a Herald of Tzeentch on a Burning Chariot of Tzeentch

Chaos Daemons: Blood Throne of Khorne/Skull Cannon of Khorne
This box contains a multipart plastic kit that makes either a Blood Throne of Khorne or a Skull Cannon of Khorne

Herald of Nurgle
This Clampack contains a new plastic Herald of Nurgle on a sculpted base
New Finecast Releases

Herald of Khorne
A clampack that contains one highly detailed Citadel Finecast resin miniature

Herald of Slaanesh
A clampack that contains one highly detailed Citadel Finecast resin miniature

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing unexpected, really. I'm mostly interested in how the army will change for 40k. Them getting Psychic Powers is not entirely surprising; most people assumed they had them anyway. I'm hoping for an auto pass, or ignores perils at least. I'm also expecting the army wide deep strike to go away.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 18, 2013

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Perils should make their power un-deniable or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I do think that there's a chance that the deep strike deployment goes away but they'd have to make up for it somehow because the army would be rather slow, even with the beasts, jetbikes, FMCs, and such. Tyranids are pretty dependent on Tervigons in order to win; they serve as pseudo-transports for Termagants and help saturate the table with wounds.

• Locked thread