Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

For me personally I like the VODs but I've found if I want to watch a Riff with someone else who likes MST3K and the idea of Rifftrax they can't stand the pacing of most of the VODs. I was dying during The Guy From Harlem, but my friend was just bored.

Normally I would say 'different tastes' and all, but in this case your friend is terrible. You could have said almost any other VOD and I wouldn't have thought much of it. But I'm not sure how anyone could not like that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Holy poo poo, Safety with Animals is insane.

Come on kids, pick up snakes and tease Rottweilers... RESPONSIBLY.

e: Handling reptiles is safe because they don't carry disease!

Yeah kid. Salmonella? Staph? Walk it off, you puss.

:psyduck:

My favorite is the directions on how to befriend wild dogs. :allears:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So McBain.

This was made in 1991. :staredog:

This is unbelievable. There are name actors in this. This looks like it had some kind of budget. How is it THIS bad?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

So McBain.

This is unbelievable. There are name actors in this. This looks like it had some kind of budget. How is it THIS bad?

The movie does have a couple of good parts I actually liked the scene with the drug dealer pointing out how it was kinda stupid to go after his gang for money but then there's the rest of the movie. :psyduck:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

So McBain.

This was two years before Walken was in True Romance. Three years before Pulp Fiction. Let that sink in.

Then again, looking at Walken's IMDB page, he just kind of takes any role you want to give him. He's in like three movies per year that I've never heard of.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Walken, bless him, has said in interviews that he just loves working. He knows some of these movies are awful or won't get a wide audience; he doesn't care. He just enjoys being on set, meeting new actors, hanging with crew; he'd rather do a bad movie than just sit at home puttering around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Everything Counts posted:

Walken, bless him, has said in interviews that he just loves working. He knows some of these movies are awful or won't get a wide audience; he doesn't care. He just enjoys being on set, meeting new actors, hanging with crew; he'd rather do a bad movie than just sit at home puttering around.

He has said that he loves acting that he will do anything offered him as long as it doesnt interfere with things he already agreed to.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

He seems to know that McBain is poo poo though, because he just goes full Walken, and never seems to be actually talking to anyone else, it's more like his monologing and the other characters should just interpret whatever they can from his speeches. In other movies he's always eccentric but in the good ones he at least tries to act.

rootphreak
May 16, 2008

HO HO HO
SPREAD EM FOR SANTA
Holy poo poo, "When A Stranger Calls Back" felt so boring that I fell asleep in the middle of it. It felt like a poorly-written 2 hour Law and Order episode minus legitimate cops and following the same plot format that's been done too many times. Not saying the riffing was bad. I guess it didn't peak to the level where the movie is "so bad that it's good." Also the female counsellor / whatever reminded me of the police office secretary from Twin Peaks.

All in all, not the best for RiffTrax to make fun of, IMO, but I can think of a number of ones that were less entertaining than this ended up being.

6.5/10

rootphreak fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 16, 2013

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In related Cinematic Titanic news:

quote:

Dear Friends,

As we have been adding dates to our live show schedule for 2013, we have come to the decision that this will be our last year actively touring as Cinematic Titanic. We feel that with any project there is a time to move on and as 5 people living in 5 different cities with different lives and projects, it has become increasingly difficult to coordinate our schedules and give Cinematic Titanic the attention it requires to keep growing as a creative enterprise and a business. As a result, we have decided to take this indefinite hiatus.

The last 5+ years have been an amazing opportunity for us all to reconnect creatively with one another and more importantly to connect with the fans of MST3K and new fans of Cinematic TItanic. We've had the great pleasure of playing some beautiful theaters around the country and have taken movie riffing to places we never dreamed, like ILM and Pixar, a sports arena, and even Broadway! The love we've been shown by those we've met and performed for will be with us forever.

We will be performing as many dates as is feasible this year and we hope you'll come out and see us go at it one last time if we come to a theater near you in 2013. We are still in discussions about the production of additional DVDs and we'll keep you posted.

We thank you deeply for all the support you've shown Cinematic Titanic over these years and we're looking forward to many great shows in the year ahead.

Cheers,

The CT Crew

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's a shame. I wasn't the biggest fan of Cinematic Titanic but I was of the opinion that their live show releases were way better than the other ones.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Deadpool posted:

That's a shame. I wasn't the biggest fan of Cinematic Titanic but I was of the opinion that their live show releases were way better than the other ones.

I feel the same way. I expected more releases, too. I recall them saying they'd release a new movie each month, but they've only released twelve movies in five years.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
On the plus side, this could lead to a possible Mike/Joel Rifftrax event. Or a Bill/Trace one. Or Kevin/Josh. Slim hope, but a man can dream...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I really like "When Strangeres Called" a lot. I grabbed it on a whim with the two newest Live shows and enjoyed it. It's slow pace, but it worth going through when it suddenly becomes Twin Peaks about 2/3 in. Also love the fact they made a call back to the "Magically Disappearing Money" in the grocery store.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I actually stopped buying Cinematic Titanic stuff when they switched completely over to just recording live shows. I enjoyed the Rifftrax ones but its not the only way I want to see the stuff.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Rirse posted:

Trying to remember which Rifftrax short had the line "Shane, come back", because I am watching the Hercules MST3K episode and that line was used there, but I remember hearing it before elsewhere and it driving me nuts what short used that line again.

Turns out it from a unrelated thing all together.

They used that in The Final Sacrifice's opening credits, for Shane Marceau's name. Although I think it was a "go away Shane" instead.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm glad I saw Cinematic Titanic live when I could. Mary Jo lives in town, so I guess it wasn't too big a deal to come to Austin.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I the only one who feels somewhat bad for Joel?

Guy creates in and stars in a show, leaves in part because of creative differences. Show continues on after him with another guy doing his show.

Show ends, and later on that other guy (and some of your former coworkers) take that concept and do something similar, using movies that open the concept to a broader audience. You do a more dedicated variation, but you're the Other Project to most people.

You quit doing yours, and the other keeps going. Seems like a gut shot. :smith:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Abugadu posted:

They used that in The Final Sacrifice's opening credits, for Shane Marceau's name. Although I think it was a "go away Shane" instead.

Yeah now I remember that line. That probably where I was thinking "heard it in another MST3K/Rifftrax".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

MisterBibs posted:

I don't feel too sorry for him. He made his decision and he's living with it. Even though Joel created the show, I think Mike is better suited to the concept.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not to mention that Mike was writing for MST3k for a good while before he was a host. It's not like he left his job because it was outsourced to some other person you will never meet and the job won't mean as much to them. Joel has turned down Rifftrax stuff because he believes the prop comedy is the heart of his style of comedy. Mike had the (frankly brilliant) idea of cutting the puppetry and going audio-only so that you could open up the movie options to practically anything. It was a really smart business plan, considering the limitations that MST3k had with dealing with rights.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MisterBibs posted:

Guy creates in and stars in a show, leaves in part because of creative differences. Show continues on after him with another guy doing his show.

Show ends, and later on that other guy (and some of your former coworkers) take that concept and do something similar, using movies that open the concept to a broader audience. You do a more dedicated variation, but you're the Other Project to most people.

You quit doing yours, and the other keeps going. Seems like a gut shot. :smith:

If the real story is that logistical problems make CT difficult to do, there's no reason to feel sorry for him. He clearly has other projects he can make money on that are less problematic. If they are losing their rear end on these shows, then I guess I feel bad for him, but at the same time, CT didn't have to go down this path for their business plan, so it's hard to feel too bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IUG posted:

Not to mention that Mike was writing for MST3k for a good while before he was a host. It's not like he left his job because it was outsourced to some other person you will never meet and the job won't mean as much to them. Joel has turned down Rifftrax stuff because he believes the prop comedy is the heart of his style of comedy. Mike had the (frankly brilliant) idea of cutting the puppetry and going audio-only so that you could open up the movie options to practically anything. It was a really smart business plan, considering the limitations that MST3k had with dealing with rights.

Yeah, Mike was the head writer for MST3K for quite a while. Pretty good job for the guy who was hired to just take notes during the writing sessions.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Joel always liked the skits and puppet stuff way more than the movie riffing anyway. He's more of a creative mind in that fashion. Sitting and riffing movies just isn't something he's going to be happy doing long term. So no, I don't feel sorry for him. He's doing what he wants to do.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah Joel loved doing the invention exchange poo poo on MST3K. Mike did it for a few episodes but then they canned it because that really wasn't his thing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I just miss Joel's big sleepy voice :smith: And Trace period. Nothing against Bill, whom I actually like way more on RT than on MST.

Anyway, I'd be fine with them going to all VOD, as long as we get the occasional blockbuster that is legitimately terrible and deserves it (Independence Day, Battlefield Earth, Daredevil, etc)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Good points, all of you. "Feeling bad" wasn't perhaps the best term for it.

A question I forgot to ask earlier: Are the SW prequel trilogy riffs enjoyable on their own, or do you need to be part of the "Lucas raped my childhood" contingent?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

Good points, all of you. "Feeling bad" wasn't perhaps the best term for it.

A question I forgot to ask earlier: Are the SW prequel trilogy riffs enjoyable on their own, or do you need to be part of the "Lucas raped my childhood" contingent?

I enjoyed the Prequel riffs and I generally have "they decent, eh, and good" opinions on the three movies. The Attack of the Clones riff suffer a little bit from the pretty pointless guest, Chad Vader, who only says maybe twenty lines in the whole two hour riff.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The only one that really suffers is the one that included "Chad Vader". Annoying and unfunny.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
All 7 Star Wars riffs are good.

Oddly, the riffs follow the same quality as the movies themselves.

5, 4, 6, Holiday Special, 3, 1, 2.

Empire best line: Lando Calrissian asks if anyone would like a drink and all 3 guys rush for the obvious joke with "I'll have a Colt 45."

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 18, 2013

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

It's worth noting that the Star Wars riffs are best watched with the prequels first, then the original trilogy, as that's the order they were riffed in and there's a lot of joke continuity.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Chad Vader was much better in Empire than he was in the Attack of the Clones riff. He had a few more good lines and the recording/mixing was better.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

IUG posted:

I was never in to MST3K when it was on TV, so forgive me if this is a stupid question: How did "cutting the puppetry and going audio only" open up new films? Were there films that didn't mesh with their previous format, and how was that previous format so different?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Golbez posted:

I was never in to MST3K when it was on TV, so forgive me if this is a stupid question: How did "cutting the puppetry and going audio only" open up new films? Were there films that didn't mesh with their previous format, and how was that previous format so different?
In the beginning, most of the films they riffed were just laying around the TV station (KTMA out of Minneapolis). Really cheap films that the station had obtained the rights to broadcast. Even with the increased budget at Comedy Channel and Sci-Fi, they would have never been able to afford the broadcast rights to stuff like Braveheart or Pulp Fiction.

Going audio only opens up every movie ever released.

(Edit for grammar)

fenix down fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 18, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Stuff like 1950's creature features are public domain, so MST3K could broadcast them for free.

Films like Squirm or Time Chasers they had to pay a couple thousand for the rights for MST3K to broadcast.

The rights to Star Wars are in the millions of dollars, but they can do a riff of Star Wars via Rifftrax because they're not broadcasting it. They're selling a separate MP3 you play at home.

Because Cinematic Titanic used the MST3K model, they can only do public domain or dirt cheap films.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
OH, you meant going with the Riffs alone. I thought you meant a shift in how MST3K itself operated, like they changed something mid-series that let them get more movies.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Golbez posted:

OH, you meant going with the Riffs alone. I thought you meant a shift in how MST3K itself operated, like they changed something mid-series that let them get more movies.

He didn't mean that, but technically it's still true, because when they went to Sci-Fi they had access to films Sci-Fi already owned.

You'll notice in the Sci-Fi years they had a lot more 80's/90's movies, and even some moderately expensive films like Revenge of the Creature from major studios.

And then, side note, there's stuff like Puma Man and Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster which are completely tied up in rights hell and so we'll likely never get a DVD release.

Both moving to Sci-Fi and starting Rifftrax were pretty shrewd business moves, and Mike is a genius for the latter. He works for himself and never has to negotiate rights or deal with lawyers or psycho movie execs (see: Sandy Frank)

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 18, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Vicissitude posted:

Chad Vader was much better in Empire than he was in the Attack of the Clones riff. He had a few more good lines and the recording/mixing was better.

He delivered my personal favorite riff in Empire, but that's just because I'm a huge Dave Alvin fan and never expected him to get namechecked in a RiffTrax

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I just realized the hard way that buying Rifftrax Live of Plan 9 and the 3-Riff VOD version of that movie run off the same scripts. Durp. :smith:

edit: wrong smith.

vvv: No idea.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MisterBibs posted:

I just realized the hard way that buying Rifftrax Live of Plan 9 and the 3-Riff VOD version of that movie run off the same scripts. Durp. :unsmith:

Isn't Birdemic and House on Haunted Hill the same way?

• Locked thread