Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Soup du Jour posted:

:siren:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0870.html:siren:

Well, that's two confirmed theories with one stone.

:stare:

Well then, confirmed theories indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Where's that eye-popping emoticon?

gently caress it, this works :pwn:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's strange when the OoTS art style ends up making stuff look WAY more brutal.

MikeJF posted:

One of the more common Skyrim bugs is NPCs losing clothes.
Is that a recent RPG thing? NPCs in the first town in Witcher 2 just ... Forget to put on pants.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

gently caress yes, undead Belkar. I hope he's able to talk, and that his reaction to being undead is as entertaining as Xykon's was.

This also sheds new light on Nale's murder of the cleric's "sons". Perhaps it wasn't as evil a deed as we were led to believe.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
^^^Remember how Xykon felt about Coffee? Belkar's a chef, I don't think he'll enjoy that part so much.

Strip title is "Death in the Family".

IMO, the claims in this thread that certain scenes in previous strips were foreshadowing are now more or less justified.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's just something about comics done by graphics designers and illustrators. At a glance they're unimpressive but drat do these people know how to use their stuff. I mean, just from the theories and this episode's title I knew more or less what had to be coming but scrolling down and seeing the last panel still gave me the shivers in that way more detailed and frequently more realistic comics often don't.

And Mr. Scruffy trying to drag Belkar away from Malack is heartbreaking :(

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Neraren posted:

Belkar and a probable-vampire alone in the same room.

Last breath incoming?

Yyyyyup.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Haha, oh wow. Even though I was expecting it it still was rather good.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

My Lovely Horse posted:

And Mr. Scruffy trying to drag Belkar away from Malack is heartbreaking :(

Not to mention him gnawing on Malack's tail two panels before that. Despite getting brushed aside like he's nothing, Mr. Scruffy's doing everything he can to try and save Belkar, even though it's futile. :smith:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So obviously Belkar would no longer be a player controlled character in most campaigns, but did he just effectively gain about 4 hit dice?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Immortal Belkar. The world is doomed.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Oh no! What will this do to Belkar's newly-found moral fiphhahahahahahahha!

Seriously, though, this will surely result in more horror let loose upon the world than Malack could have ever imagined.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

greatn posted:

So obviously Belkar would no longer be a player controlled character in most campaigns, but did he just effectively gain about 4 hit dice?

Level Adjustment of +8.

Belkar's an epic level character now.

E:
VVV Just because he wasn't munchkinized before doesn't mean he was ineffective. He is a sexy shoeless god of death after all.

Neraren fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 18, 2013

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Wouldn't that just basically make up for lovely design choices like being a halfling ranger-barbarian? The same way Epic Swordsman made Elan not a piece of poo poo.

e: What does the Vampire Template give you?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Rooster posted:

Wouldn't that just basically make up for lovely design choices like being a halfling ranger-barbarian? The same way Epic Swordsman made Elan not a piece of poo poo.
It really depends on what type of vampirism we are talking about. Since Malack is a priest of the god of death for all we know his bloodline is a special vampire-like prestige class with special vampire-like rules. MAYBE HE SPARKLES.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

You know, I'd been discounting the "Malack is a vampire" theory as a red herring mostly because while the not-burning-in-sunlight can be explained by magic items/feats/etc. - although I still think that's pretty lame if it's so simple - what kind of vampire drinks tea? Did he spend a feat on that?

So I went back and looked up Malack's first meeting with Durkon...

...you sneaky loving bastard, Rich.

(I'm totally stoked for undead-Belkar, though. I was hoping for it, and was kinda afraid that Rich would feel it was lame and he'd "just" give him a dramatic death.)

e: also as a result of the above reread, any good speculation about what the book in #739 may be?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 18, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm looking forward to seeing if Belkar is under Malack's control, even if it's just along the lines of free-willed but loyal to creator, because if he is, there's only one thing the Order can do.

Recruit a kobold.

e: I remember bloodwart tea was specifically brought up to reinforce the vampire theory back in the day.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I knew it! I knew it I knew it I knew it!

Apparently I never said so in here, but I knew he was a vampire!

THAT COUNTS AS CALLING IT OKAY

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

You know, I'd been discounting the "Malack is a vampire" theory as a red herring mostly because while the not-burning-in-sunlight can be explained by magic items/feats/etc. - although I still think that's pretty lame if it's so simple - what kind of vampire drinks tea? Did he spend a feat on that?

So I went back and looked up Malack's first meeting with Durkon...

...you sneaky loving bastard, Rich.

(I'm totally stoked for undead-Belkar, though. I was hoping for it, and was kinda afraid that Rich would feel it was lame and he'd "just" give him a dramatic death.)
Didn't V tell him adoption would be a good alternative and Malack said it wouldn't be the same "special link"?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Toplowtech posted:

Didn't V tell him adoption would be a good alternative and Malack said it wouldn't be the same "special link"?
Also stuff like him not eating at the feast, mentioning that he has a "special diet".

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

The Rooster posted:

e: What does the Vampire Template give you?

Highlights include:

* Str +6, Dex +4, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4. As an undead creature, a vampire has no Constitution score.
* Damage reduction 10/silver and magic
* Resistance to cold 10 and electricity 10.
* Heal 5 hitpoints per round. If reduced to zero, goes gaseous form to escape.
* Dominate Person at will

So yeah, Belkar is raised as a superbadass in 1d4 days.

greatn posted:

Don't you need constitution to rage? Though with the wisdom bump he can now cast zero and first level spells, maybe second.

Rage lasts 3 + Con modifier rounds, so now it's just a flat 3 I guess.

Oh, also his hitdice are now all retroactively d12s, so he gets a bit hitpoint boost too, in addition to all the normal undead bonuses like being immune to mind affecting spells (and ironically, hold person).

Neraren fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 18, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't you need constitution to rage? Though with the wisdom bump he can now cast zero and first level spells, maybe second.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

... it suddenly occurs to me that Roy's sword might in the end not strike down the undead he thinks it's going to.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Would being a Vampire sever his animal companion with Scruffy? That would be sad :(

I suppose though that since Malack himself is clearly some sort of house-ruled vampire, not much can be said.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Incidentally, I get that with Belkar's proportions and OotS's art style a bitten neck is a tricky thing to draw, but ooouch getting vampirised by the sides of your head looks rather grisly.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Mr. Scruffy tried so hard!! Awww...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that what will piss Belkar off more isn't that he's a vampire, but that he will effectively be getting zero xp from monsters for a good long while now?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Con based special abilities become based off of your charisma modifier if you lose your constitution score. Rages last 3+cha mod rounds if you're a vampire.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

No. loving. Way.

I would like apologize to every single person that I silently thought was an idiot over the vampire theory.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Speaking of Level Adjustments, however: When Belkar is first lifted up, there's a big cloud of dark energy around him, and he sizzles for a panel afterward. Is that Level Drain?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

XkyRauh posted:

Speaking of Level Adjustments, however: When Belkar is first lifted up, there's a big cloud of dark energy around him, and he sizzles for a panel afterward. Is that Level Drain?

Energy Drain (Su)
Living creatures hit by a vampire’s slam attack (or any other natural weapon the vampire might possess) gain two negative levels. For each negative level bestowed, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points. A vampire can use its energy drain ability once per round.

I assume it was that. You can see Malack's minor battle damage healing in the same panel.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I don't think it was Energy Drain, or the 4th level version either. Xykon uses that in Start of Darkness and the result are corruption lines all over the victim's skin, not any smoking. (He also uses it on juiced-up Vaarsuvius, but in that case the effect stays only on the soul splices.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

No. loving. Way.

I would like apologize to every single person that I silently thought was an idiot over the vampire theory.

I was betting on him getting snuffed too. But it's a perfect example of the art of good plotting - 1. either give people what they expect, or what they don't expect 2. know when to do which.

By this point everyone's expecting Rich to surprise them, so when he doesn't it's a surprise in its own way.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

I don't think it was Energy Drain, or the 4th level version either. Xykon uses that in Start of Darkness and the result are corruption lines all over the victim's skin, not any smoking. (He also uses it on juiced-up Vaarsuvius, but in that case the effect stays only on the soul splices.)

Different thing. Xykon's using a spell, the vampire thing is just an ability that activates when a vampire hits someone.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Now I'm really curious how (and why) Nale managed to kill a bunch of vampires.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Also, vampire template might just be why Malack doesn't wear armour. I always assumed he was just a feeble scholarly cleric who didn't have the strength for armour and preferred to stay out of close combat and be a support cleric.

But, as a vampire, maybe he stays out of armour because with that bonus +4 dex he's just so agile that he doesn't need to wear any anyway.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Suddenly, Nale being completely nonchalant about slaughtering Malack's entire family makes a lot more sense. I had thought it was pretty drat out of character for Nale to be so cool about having murdered Malack's family, but the equation changes when it's destroying a bunch of vampire spawn. This also changes his "How's the family?" line from some cold-blooded taunting to "Hey, you defiled any corpses since we last met?"

Also, god drat is that last panel brutal.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing if Belkar is under Malack's control, even if it's just along the lines of free-willed but loyal to creator, because if he is, there's only one thing the Order can do.

Recruit a kobold.

e: I remember bloodwart tea was specifically brought up to reinforce the vampire theory back in the day.

It'll be O-Chul. He's the tank to counter Vamp-Belkar's DPS, and they've already got a history.

NihilCredo posted:

e: also as a result of the above reread, any good speculation about what the book in #739 may be?

No speculation needed. It's a book about negative energy that Durkon used to research Mass Death Ward.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wow. Awesome.

Malack's eyes going from a pale pink to bright red when he does the deed really did it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So given Malack's sudden willingness to restart his family line, as it were...

... what are the chances of Durkon also becoming undead, either from him or Belkar, before the arc is over?

Or do we trust Rich not to pull the same loophole in regards to Durkon returning home "posthumously?"