Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

CandyCrazy posted:

That's probably a side effect of the LP format. I doubt it would feel like it was dragging so much if you were actually playing the game, and weren't taking several days-long breaks at every cliffhanger.

I don't know, I feel like the first game went a little more quickly at the beginning but perhaps that's because I jumped in halfway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

orenronen posted:

Hey, that’s-
I pretty much never know what the hell you're commenting on when you make a vague statements like this and it drives me friggin' nutters. They looked like weird lamps or stacks of bowls or something from that angle.

ZiriO
Feb 17, 2013
Togami stop being amazing, I'm shocked how much I enjoy his conversations in this as compared to last game. He has some of the best reactions, although I can see that cache of weapons being a huge problem later.

And I really hope Kuzuryuu doesn't bite it this early, he seems really interesting and we haven't had a chance to get to know him better yet. The suspense! This is what I get for catching up with the series after eight months.

edit: Personally I mistook the bolts for top hats on first glance. I couldn't figure out why anyone would make such a weird looking hat rack, then I just felt like a dunce when we got a better look at them.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

VoidBurger posted:

I pretty much never know what the hell you're commenting on when you make a vague statements like this and it drives me friggin' nutters. They looked like weird lamps or stacks of bowls or something from that angle.

The steel plates on the windows in the lodge are identical to the ones found all over the school from the first Dangan Ronpa

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Ezzer posted:

The steel plates on the windows in the lodge are identical to the ones found all over the school from the first Dangan Ronpa

I know that. Gundam like, friggin stated it. And so did Fedule with "The windows.." before Gundam got his chance. It just bugs me when Fedule makes an extremely nonspecific comment for no decent reason. It breaks the flow of the update because I have to stop for a minute and go "Uh... what the hell was Fedule referencing and what does that comment add to this update?"

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

C-Euro posted:

I don't know, I feel like the first game went a little more quickly at the beginning but perhaps that's because I jumped in halfway.

The pacing in the first game was far better by comparision to this point in the game. While theres plenty of time for things to change, theres just much less tension and everything seems to be moving at a far slower pace (probably in no small part to the number of moments where there are 14 people standing about each with something to say). I'm kind of ready for something significant to happen as soon as possible as the game seems to be lacking some of the hooks the first had.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ZiriO posted:

And I really hope Kuzuryuu doesn't bite it this early, he seems really interesting and we haven't had a chance to get to know him better yet. The suspense! This is what I get for catching up with the series after eight months.

I get the sense that Kuzuryuu is going to be around for a while. He's too suspicious a character to get killed off so soon, kind of like Genocider Syo.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

eating only apples posted:

I wish they'd get on with it, this is really dragging. Sequel syndrome, I guess.

A lot of it is also that I'm showing plenty of optional dialogue. If you keep clicking on the next obvious story-progressing hotspot, these sequences move at a much faster pace.

ZiriO
Feb 17, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I get the sense that Kuzuryuu is going to be around for a while. He's too suspicious a character to get killed off so soon, kind of like Genocider Syo.

That does make a lot of sense, I hadn't thought of it that way but it's true. Excellent! That means there's still plenty of chances for me to see all the expressions they've given him. Maybe. Unless this is another one of their twists.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm kinda curious how someone gets killed with whatever's in Chekov's Duralumin Case while Togami's carrying it around.

Gadvac
Feb 18, 2013
I can't decide whether Togami's collection of weapons is a red herring or not. On one hand, it will eventually be the only supply of weapons in the cabin. On the other hand, Kuzuryuu is still on the outside, and any one of them could have hidden a weapon in such a way that Togami couldn't notice.

On the topic of weapons, what's with Peko keeping her sword? Sure, we've seen this game get lazy with sprites before, but it wouldn't be too difficult to just erase it. If nothing else, I'd expect her to be a bit sour about it if it did happen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm kinda curious how someone gets killed with whatever's in Chekov's Duralumin Case while Togami's carrying it around.

Knowing the way this game works, it'll end up being used to bludgeon someone to death.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
A lot of people are focusing on those gaps in the floor, so I'm presuming it's related to the first death. I'm going to guess that either Togami or Nidai, as the heaviest students, or Mikan, because, well you know, are going to either fall or get shoved down one, and get impaled on something.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

In other news, it seems we have another paywall up. Since I'm sick of hearing people complain about being forced to pay $10 to read about a game they're fans of, I thought I'd do something.

If anyone here has an outlet to Dangan Ronpa fans who don't have an SA account, please spread the word.

--

The paywall seems to have struck again, leaving many out in the cold, so I thought I'd run a little promotion:

Buy a copy of Super Dangan Ronpa 2 and I'll pay for your Something Awful account!

Small print:
1. Limited to 5 (five) people. Email me before you buy to see if all the spots have already been taken - if they haven't I'll put your name on the list and give you enough time (within reason) to go ahead with the purchase.
2. Not applicable to people who already own a copy of the game (unless you buy a second one), or who already have (or had in the past) a Something Awful account.
3. You may buy whatever version of a new (not used) copy of SDR2 you like - the regular retail version, the limited edition box set, or the PSN digital release. You may purchase online or at an actual store.
4. I will not help you with the actual purchase. If you are not sure how to order video games from Japan, look for help elsewhere.
5. I will require some sort of proof of purchase - a receipt, a photo of you with the UMD in hand, etc. If you are ordering online, I will not require waiting until the copy of the game actually arrives, but please save screenshots of the checkout process at the online store.
6. If I suspect any foul play, I may ask for additional, specific proofs of purchase. This will be something that should be easily produced if you have actually bought the game.
7. If everything checks out, you get one standard account for Something Awful, worth $10 (this is coming out of my own pocket). I am not responsible for any probations or bans you may get while using that account.

Anyone interested should contact me at hopespeakacademy@gmail.com.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 18, 2013

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

orenronen posted:

Buy a copy of Super Dangan Ronpa 2 and I'll pay for your Something Awful account!

Dang, that is very generous of you. Are people actually emailing you to complain about the paywall? Hopefully we get good contributors from this, and hopefully Spike gets word of the kind of fandom they have.

And yeah, the LP format definitely makes this a case of wondering when are we going to get to the fireworks factory first murder.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This will only end in tears :can:

Also nice to see Togami being so interesting, he was really annoying in DR1, that food scene was pretty great.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
orenronen you are just delightful. :allears:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Gadvac posted:

I can't decide whether Togami's collection of weapons is a red herring or not. On one hand, it will eventually be the only supply of weapons in the cabin. On the other hand, Kuzuryuu is still on the outside, and any one of them could have hidden a weapon in such a way that Togami couldn't notice.

On the topic of weapons, what's with Peko keeping her sword? Sure, we've seen this game get lazy with sprites before, but it wouldn't be too difficult to just erase it. If nothing else, I'd expect her to be a bit sour about it if it did happen.

Well, it is rather explicitly a practice kendo sword. Those are about as unweaponlike as you could make a sword that still hurts if you're struck with it.

RefinedUndefined posted:

A lot of people are focusing on those gaps in the floor, so I'm presuming it's related to the first death. I'm going to guess that either Togami or Nidai, as the heaviest students, or Mikan, because, well you know, are going to either fall or get shoved down one, and get impaled on something.

With all the discussion about the floorboards, I can't help but think Togami hasn't considered the possibility of someone turning the environment itself into a trap. It's kind of the obvious way for a murderer to get around the specific precautions that he's taking: keeping all the students in one, isolated place, ensuring they don't have weapons on their person, etc. This all assumes any murder would directly attack their victim. Given that it's been pretty easy to determine where the group is going to be, it'd never be hard for a culprit with the means to set something up to go there ahead of time. That's sort of the line of thought I was pursuing when thinking about the possibility that Mikan's accident was actually a murder attempt earlier: unlike the cafeteria from the last game, the restaurant isn't ever closed off at particular times, so knowing that every student would be there at breakfast, a would-be murderer might have turned the cables into something like an inconspicuous noose-trap during the night.

I am also thinking about the floorboards because I'm trying to figure out what it is Monomi seemed to think was "dangerous" about this building early in the game. Unless that was a complete lie. (or she just meant a few nails and splinters. I guess. :geno:)

And, well:

orenronen posted:

Oh, Hinata-kun! So, what do you think?
What do I think about what?
About the way I decorated this hall for the party, of course! I even spread out a carpet.
...You brought in this carpet?

Yeah, I got it at the supermarket.

Is there anything that supermarket doesn't carry...?

I wanted to cover the entire floor, but the carpet wasn't large enough.

...might that play into our future investigation at all?

frajaq posted:

Also nice to see Togami being so interesting, he was really annoying in DR1, that food scene was pretty great.

Togami is totally the Miles Edgeworth of the DR franchise.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 18, 2013

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

DR fans don't deserve you, orenronen.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
Why do I feel that Togami will not say anything about DR1, like most people seem to be expecting, and he will talk about something related to his family?
Also, as it was implied in several comments during the update, that entire place is a death trap, even the steel plated windows give it away as such.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

You'd think that if they were trying to hold the party in a place where Monobear wouldn't crash it, Togami would walk up the the cabin, notice the TVs and cameras, and go "welp okay well I guess that was a poo poo plan party's off." :v:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Togami, don't be dumb, you can't eat churrasco with chopsticks.

Also, you don't serve it on skewers...well, not like that, at least. You bring it to a table and slice it with a giant gently caress-off meat knife...ahm, I guess that's not the most appropriate dish for the circunstances.

Nitpicking about South American cuisine. :colbert:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Some of the tumblr fandom are planning on copying the updates and pasting them onto Tumblr.
Just a heads up for you, oren.

On topic, I wonder if Teruteru cooked Kuzuryuu? Unless that "I'll cook you too!" comment was a really lovely come-on.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Roro posted:

Some of the tumblr fandom are planning on copying the updates and pasting them onto Tumblr.

They spent money so they could share it with their followers? Is this so that they can get more people following them or what?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Roro posted:

Better call Baldurk and get the lpix redirect ready again, then.

Sunnydere
Nov 2, 2012

(Does The Hottest Dance)

Welcome to my fell storefront! Thank you for your dark business.
Oren that is such a nice offer you are too cool for school.

Really hyped about the teaser, don't own any Playstation product but DR is a series I'd crack and buy a system for. Especially if it's 3/a fighting game. I'm not sure what made me laugh harder this update, Togami's thoroughness with body checks or his . . . dedication to getting those skewers he's clearly not eating what are you talking about. I wasn't a fan in 1 but he's making me love him. Also . . .

Did he? I get the feeling he was extra sticky when he did me.

How is she terrifying even when she's not tormenting crabs Hiyoko please just stop. Please.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Roro posted:

This is the last thing I'll say about the paywall.

I'm not going to police tumblr looking for update reposts. I do not particularly approve of such behavior, but I also did not set up SA's policy or want to act as its enforcer - I'm just following it because I like these forums and they're where I want to post my LPs. I made my offer because this is a chance for me to support Spike Chunsoft for making this game, and if it works I'd be more than happy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

With all the discussion about the floorboards, I can't help but think Togami hasn't considered the possibility of someone turning the environment itself into a trap.

Or watch him just eat too drat much and fall down into the floorboards. Actually, I intended this as a joke, but what if somebody hid a body down there? It'd make an interesting reveal, at least.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kuzuryuu is the new Justice Robo. This is getting way too suspicious. But I don't see why Peko would have killed him already. She would look pretty obviously guilty for being the last one to know his whereabouts or see any sign of him for a while... Maybe it's the other way around, and Kuzuryuu is taking advantage of a chance to operate without any other students watching him. He could be hoarding up on weapons from the store, for instance.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Roro posted:

Unless that "I'll cook you too!" comment was a really lovely come-on.

It was obviously a come-on, and an exetremely lovely one in poor taste at that.

Phantasium posted:

Or watch him just eat too drat much and fall down into the floorboards. Actually, I intended this as a joke, but what if somebody hid a body down there? It'd make an interesting reveal, at least.

Or he becomes one. No, wait, the bodies of former resort guests would be an interesting reveal if that is what you're getting at.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Roro posted:

On topic, I wonder if Teruteru cooked Kuzuryuu? Unless that "I'll cook you too!" comment was a really lovely come-on.

It will be revealed that the entire meal was cooked with Mondo Butter and everyone will puke until they die.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Togami was great that whole update. Anyway we are going to spend a bunch of time searching the kitchen for potential weapons then when we return to the party someone will be already dead. That or the body will be stashed in the lovely supply closet for some reason. Also Mikan will trip on the floor at some point; either for comic relief, for throwing a red herring into the murder, getting murdered, or accidentally murdering someone. Well that's about it for my speculation and praise for the update, so good luck orenronen!

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
The game's definitely setting you up to expect Kuzuryuu to be the first murder. I feel like that's totally not what's gonna happen though, it feels like the little guy has so much potential development. That said, I also feel like literally anybody short of the protagonist could be killed off at this point. My money's on Togami though.

Also:

I am not eating it...!

:manning:

Gadvac
Feb 18, 2013

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Well, it is rather explicitly a practice kendo sword. Those are about as unweaponlike as you could make a sword that still hurts if you're struck with it.
Ah, right. I see your point. Still, Togami is being pretty unforgiving with what he's taking. (With someone like Peko, I wouldn't be surprised if even a practice sword could be turned into a lethal weapon.)
Of course, looking at it from an out-of-universe view, it could just be because they didn't feel it was necessary to rid her of her sword. I guess we'll find out if it is actually relevant (though I doubt it).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Kyahaha! There's a big demand for someone who looks like me, you know.

That's still creepy, even coming from her, herself.

CandyCrazy posted:

...Kuzuryuu's already dead, isn't he?

I would not be surprised if that was the case.

I admire Togami's dedication to keeping things safe and secure. It's not going to help, but a valiant effort nonetheless. (I'm only half-surprised that Mahiru didn't make a big deal about the body-search, but she also seems pragmatic enough to understand why.)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Hanamura better not have poisoned the food in an attempt to take everyone out in one fell swoop. Togami deserves a better death... But he's also the only one who's eaten any thus far. :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Anoia posted:

Hanamura better not have poisoned the food in an attempt to take everyone out in one fell swoop. Togami deserves a better death... But he's also the only one who's eaten any thus far. :ohdear:

I doubt Hanamura would have bothered, since he seems like he's still pretty firmly in denial about the whole "mutual killing" thing.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Throwing out the obvious: Togami threw the party with MANDATORY ATTENDANCE to cover for killing someone. Evidence is in his dura-whatever containers.

If that's not it, someone uses one of them to store the murder weapon.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Anoia posted:

Yes, so he can kill everybody except Kuzuryuu, who will immediately know who the culprit is and is much more experienced with murder than Hanamura.

That said, it IS entirely possible that somebody HAS poisoned the food. If Togami drops dead after chowing down just now, Hanamura would immediately be suspected for obvious reasons. I could see the first trial going down like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Armanky posted:

Yes, so he can kill everybody except Kuzuryuu

Worryingly, upon reading that I immediately heard the UT announcer say "One kill remaining!" in my head. Video games.

• Locked thread