Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

QPZIL posted:

Ours only allows it if the other lodge is opening up an EA lodge. So basically, only if the lodge is conferring the first degree.

Not necessarily. The Lodge can be opened on any degree -- the business is pretty much the same. We have a guy who was recently passed to FC, and the week after our Lodge had a stated meeting and we opened it on the FC degree so he could be there and participate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Effingham posted:

The Lodge can be opened on any degree -- the business is pretty much the same.
This varies by state. In some jurisdictions, business can only be done on the third, which makes plenty of symbolic sense if you think about it.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Ah, yeah I forgot 7th is an EA. My fault for popping in and out of this thread.
However, in my district new EAs are often encouraged to visit another lodge to see an initiation, as it is so interesting to re-experience it from another perspective. One of the guys from the mother lodge always accompanies the EA, and of course they can't stay for anything above EA.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Most of the time, my lodge operates in the 1st degree which makes sense as degrees take about 12 to 15 months each.
An EA visiting other lodges will be accompanied by an MM, FC's should as well but this is often ignored depending on the mother lodge. 7thB being unable to attend a few months is unfortunate but I have all the faith in his loyalty to the craft and I am sure he will be welcomed when returning. Just be sure to pay your dues and practice your degree work in the meantime.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

We open all stated meetings in EA unless it's a special circumstance such as the District Deputy visit, which requires opening in MM.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
:toot:

quote:

Effective this date: February 11, 2013, The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of AF&AM of West Virginia has reestablished fraternal recognition of The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of F&AM of Ohio. The respective edicts will be mailed to the Lodge Secretary's with the quarterly Grand Secretary’s Newsletter.

I can visit Lodge in my hometown for the first time now! Next time I head back to my hometown to visit my parents I can drop into Lodge, having not been able to visit the lodge there because I was raised in Ohio and so clandestine. Very exciting, and with luck this indicates a progressive shift in the leadership of GLWV (it probably doesn't).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just sent off my paperwork for York Rite, 3 weeks and 2 days until I start that journey :dance:

imac1984
May 3, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Just sent off my paperwork for York Rite, 3 weeks and 2 days until I start that journey :dance:

I just took my first two YR degrees a few weeks ago. I was thoroughly impressed and cannot wait to continue with the rest.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Had a great night at lodge last night. My friend and next door neighbour was raised, and it went really well. I have been coaching him for the last month and a half, and his hard work paid off when he nailed his Obligation. Actually, he got all his parts right. I'm so proud of my buddy!

Next week I'm tagging along with our WM to a lodge about 45 minutes away. Apparently this is a special meeting they do once a year where representatives from lodges from four different districts get together. Should be pretty interesting.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski
Fellow Masons, I would like to discuss grief/trauma counselling. How do your lodges / grand lodges handle the passing of a brother, and the impact it has on the lodge and those that work closely with them.

I'm asking because here in Sydney we have a basic Caring Officer system. Each lodge has a Caring Officer, that calls any older or ailing brethren and keeps in touch with them, finds out how they are and relays that information back to the lodge. I see a need to go a step further, for we don't seem to do much with the information. Yes, we visit masonic widows, we call the brethren and make sure they are well, but maybe we could do more.

I often see brethren that have lost a brother they spent decades with at lodge, they go to their funerals, and you can see them act strong and stoic. Yet, you know they are hurting inside, and I have no clue on how to help them deal with that grief.

I would like to know what things are in place in your areas. What you think your lodges are doing well, and any ideas you have on how we could do better.

TemetNosceXVIcubus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 15, 2013

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Having performed or attended a number of Masonic funerals this past Winter, I make sure our Assistant Secretary contacts our older/ailing brothers at least monthly, and widows bi-monthly. I admit we don't have much in the way of actual grief counseling services available, but you bring up a very valid point that maybe something like that should/can be instituted.

Our Grand Lodge has, at least in our local area (Bay Area, California), really tried to reach out to the local Lodges and ask what they can do to help, to provide, and to support our brothers. Maybe you bring up the perfect thing to suggest, where they may be able to facilitate the use of professional grief counselors at the local or regional level.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Slightly different, but the date is set and I will be raised to MM on the 19th of March. If any of you guys is in the vicinity of Amsterdam, NL, Europe, please drop me a pm as I would be thrilled if you'd visit and be present there.

It might not be entirely clear to you guys, but you are a big facilitator, a big catalyst, how you wish to put it, in my membership of our fraternity. Mr Bill, QPZIL, Lovable Lucifarian are some of the Brothers that were early in the first edition of this thread whose names I remember. You made me think and rethink and think again about my membership and while SA is often misunderstood, I am glad I can call all FM goons my Brother.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Keetron posted:

Slightly different, but the date is set and I will be raised to MM on the 19th of March. If any of you guys is in the vicinity of Amsterdam, NL, Europe, please drop me a pm as I would be thrilled if you'd visit and be present there.

It might not be entirely clear to you guys, but you are a big facilitator, a big catalyst, how you wish to put it, in my membership of our fraternity. Mr Bill, QPZIL, Lovable Lucifarian are some of the Brothers that were early in the first edition of this thread whose names I remember. You made me think and rethink and think again about my membership and while SA is often misunderstood, I am glad I can call all FM goons my Brother.

I have similar sentiments, but remember your offer to 7th Battalion. :allears:

I've got a petition filled out and plan on meeting with a group of lodge guys this weekend. I'll have both my signatures and be on my way to join the lot of you.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 16, 2013

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Glad to hear about you guys Masonifying Masterfully. :)

Today we had a work-through of Scottish Rite degrees in Bloomington -- I am now a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason.

It was quite a lot of fun, and a lot to take in. I have a LOT of reading to do.Major fun. :)

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

Fellow Masons, I would like to discuss grief/trauma counselling. How do your lodges / grand lodges handle the passing of a brother, and the impact it has on the lodge and those that work closely with them.

I'm asking because here in Sydney we have a basic Caring Officer system. Each lodge has a Caring Officer, that calls any older or ailing brethren and keeps in touch with them, finds out how they are and relays that information back to the lodge. I see a need to go a step further, for we don't seem to do much with the information. Yes, we visit masonic widows, we call the brethren and make sure they are well, but maybe we could do more.

I often see brethren that have lost a brother they spent decades with at lodge, they go to their funerals, and you can see them act strong and stoic. Yet, you know they are hurting inside, and I have no clue on how to help them deal with that grief.

I would like to know what things are in place in your areas. What you think your lodges are doing well, and any ideas you have on how we could do better.

Obviously not quite the same thing, but one of the first things our newly installed WM did was hold a practice for a Masonic Memorial service, so that we would know how to properly pay our respects by doing it right if called upon.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Flying Fortress posted:

Obviously not quite the same thing, but one of the first things our newly installed WM did was hold a practice for a Masonic Memorial service, so that we would know how to properly pay our respects by doing it right if called upon.

This is brilliant.

I'm going to recommend it to our WM this week.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

My WM just contacted me via Facebook asking where I have been, and if I want to head to Daylight Lodge #232 up in Green Lake. By the time meetings come around there at 10am on Saturdays I'm utterly exhausted, and usually still asleep, but when the WM offers to bring you to a lodge, you don't really turn that down, do you?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

My WM just contacted me via Facebook asking where I have been, and if I want to head to Daylight Lodge #232 up in Green Lake. By the time meetings come around there at 10am on Saturdays I'm utterly exhausted, and usually still asleep, but when the WM offers to bring you to a lodge, you don't really turn that down, do you?

You don't, no. Just explain your exhaustion and ask for an extra stop on the way to get a double-shot cappuccino or whatever works for you. And it is good to hear they are looking out for you.

Today my next door neighbor, whom I knew by his first-name and nothing more, was found dead in his bed. Seeing he died about two weeks ago, the entire floor of my apartment building smells and I probably was the last one to have seen him alive. Somehow your WM calling you is comforting, don't you think?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Keetron posted:

I didn't think anyone noticed me :3:

Really glad to hear about your impending doom raising. I wish I could make it, but I'll just say veel geluk!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Keetron posted:

Brother, I am pretty surprised to find out you're not already a Master Mason, because everything I know of your behavior exemplifies the kinds of qualities I expect from a MM. I am sad to report that I live on the wrong continent to be able to attend, but I am very excited that you're making this step and I am certain you will find to be an amazing experience.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

7thBatallion posted:

I would turn it down if I was as tired as you described. He's the master of the lodge, not God.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lovable Luciferian posted:

I would turn it down if I was as tired as you described. He's the master of the lodge, not God.

Sayeth the Luciferian. :colbert:

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sayeth the Luciferian. :colbert:

Fair point.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

7thBatallion posted:

but when the WM offers to bring you to a lodge, you don't really turn that down, do you?

The WM is doing his job, which is keeping his young charge active in Freemasonry. Take a nap in the car on the way, and enjoy the ride. He's extended the hand of friendship...don't leave a brother hanging.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I suppose I could go to my old standby from when I had to pull the occasional 16 hour shift three days in a row. With two hours of commute. Triple shot in a short glass with breve to cool it down to not burning hot.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
Brethren, Australian Mason checking in.

I've loved reading this thread, and I'm quite happy to answer any questions about the way we do things in the United Grand Lodge of Victoria (UGLV).

One of the things I've seen which piqued my interest in the Nth American lodges is the adornment of hats on senior lodge members.

We don't follow suit in our neck of the woods.

For any interested, there is to be a television program starting on channel 31 (Melbourne) from the 3rd of March about the craft. It will run for 6 months and should be available to see for others around the world. (I know this as I'll be in it, you see) ... When I know the name of it, I'll repost as it's yet unnamed.

Heading to Vegas during April, so if anyone knows of a lodge to visit I'd be delighted to hear from you.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
I am interested in joining the craft, and have been encouraged to do so by friends, relatives, and now even a co-worker. Usually after witnessing me doing a good deed/helping someone out of a tight spot. I am to understand that's one of the main ideas behind Masonry, universal brotherhood, etc. I've also read this thread though, and am located in Florida. I am not Christian, Jewish, or part of what I would consider a "major" religion. I do believe in A Supreme, Most High being that created all that we know and can perceive. I also believe in the immortality of a soul and resurrection/rebirth (which I understand are questions they should NOT be asking, but I'd be covered anyway.) However, having read what I've read here, it seems to me that you must be part of a major religion to join, at least in my awesome backwoods state. How true is this? Were I to petition, and then be denied based on this bullshit criteria, would I be blackballed forever? Would there be any way that I could report "unmasonly" behavior should I encounter discrimination for not being a Christian?

I want to become a better person and help to enrich my community through kind acts, and I would hate to be forever "untouchable" because of some stuffed shirt old dick. The most fulfilled I've ever felt in my life was handing out food to the local homeless, and seeing their eyes light up. I'd like to participate in a fraternity that focuses on such acts, and the Freemasons seem to be just that. I do live in a rather metropolitan area (Pinellas) so I'm not going to be visiting an extremely rural lodge, but I do know the good old boy favoritism still runs deep in this area.

Kindly let me know if I would be wasting my time by petitioning, and if I should just wait until I move to another state.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
There is no religious requirement to join, just that you must believe in a creator, which you do... You will not be blackballed or anything else for not being a member of a major religion. Good luck!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A Ill -- the FL GM's proclamation, which will be discussed at length at this year's Grand Lodge meeting, doesn't require that you be a member of a specific or major religious order, it merely introduces his belief that some specific faiths are not compatible with Freemasonry (an opinion which is in the minimalist minority).

In other words, it sounds like there should be nothing holding you back from being eligible.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

I am interested in joining the craft, and have been encouraged to do so by friends, relatives, and now even a co-worker. Usually after witnessing me doing a good deed/helping someone out of a tight spot. I am to understand that's one of the main ideas behind Masonry, universal brotherhood, etc. I've also read this thread though, and am located in Florida. I am not Christian, Jewish, or part of what I would consider a "major" religion. I do believe in A Supreme, Most High being that created all that we know and can perceive. I also believe in the immortality of a soul and resurrection/rebirth (which I understand are questions they should NOT be asking, but I'd be covered anyway.) However, having read what I've read here, it seems to me that you must be part of a major religion to join, at least in my awesome backwoods state. How true is this? Were I to petition, and then be denied based on this bullshit criteria, would I be blackballed forever? Would there be any way that I could report "unmasonly" behavior should I encounter discrimination for not being a Christian?

I want to become a better person and help to enrich my community through kind acts, and I would hate to be forever "untouchable" because of some stuffed shirt old dick. The most fulfilled I've ever felt in my life was handing out food to the local homeless, and seeing their eyes light up. I'd like to participate in a fraternity that focuses on such acts, and the Freemasons seem to be just that. I do live in a rather metropolitan area (Pinellas) so I'm not going to be visiting an extremely rural lodge, but I do know the good old boy favoritism still runs deep in this area.

Kindly let me know if I would be wasting my time by petitioning, and if I should just wait until I move to another state.

I would definitely visit a few lodges and discuss this if you feel free to. They will basically tell you right away if they have an issue with it. I know the GL of FL has had its issues lately, but I am pretty sure they will be resolved soon(and hope they will!). Also visit lots of lodges as there may be one lodge full of people who have an issue, and another that says "don't worry about it, come on in"

Also from facebook:

Freemasons posted:

A brother of mine said he was a bit shocked when a visiting brother from a far away lodge showed up with a mohawk and two hoop earrings.
On the one hand, brothers are brothers, no matter appearance.
Others say there is certain respect and decorum needed.
Where do you fall?

More importantly, what about applicants and candidates? At what line of appearance, dress or manner might you draw the line?

I think even asking this type of question belies a minor prejudice. This is a question that doesn't even need answering. The way a person looks, whether it be by choice or by handicap, means NOTHING. This also brings to my mind that we must temper our passions which really boil down in many ways to prejudices about someone over something relatively miniscule. The color of their skin(in some places still very prevalent), sexual orientation, looks, all fall into this.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

lord1234 posted:

I would definitely visit a few lodges and discuss this if you feel free to.

I wouldn't even do that. The question of "Do you believe in a Supreme Being?" is a personal one, meant to be answered by your own conscience. There's no need to ever tell anyone what your particular beliefs are.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

I wouldn't even do that. The question of "Do you believe in a Supreme Being?" is a personal one, meant to be answered by your own conscience. There's no need to ever tell anyone what your particular beliefs are.

Good point.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Florida has had some controversy, but none of it really risks excluding brothers who can answer those points firmly. The problem with Florida's GM declaration was that it grouped some otherwise qualified religious groups in with otherwise disqualified religious groups (agnostics) by name, and then justified this decision based on one man's interpretation of those other religions. Essentially a man took it upon himself to interpret the rules in a way that is far too narrow and risks excluding people who are qualified and, worse, expelling brothers who are otherwise in good standing.

Unless you're an Odinist, you should be pretty well covered.

That said, they won't ask you your religion as such. However, the investigation committee, which is a group of brothers they appoint to talk to you and make sure you're not ultra sketch basically, might ask where you go to Church or what religion you practice. This question isn't meant to check your qualifications but to assess moral character, so I'd answer it plainly and naturally if they ask it, as being defensive could set off alarm bells. Or tell them you prefer not to discuss religion because you consider it a deeply personal matter, but assure them you believe in God or however you feel it prudent to do that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
A few weeks ago at some event or another we got to talking about lodges in other places, and one of the guys talked about how the Grand Lodge building in Philadelphia is particularly beautiful. I think less than a week later I was told to make travel arrangements for a work trip to Philadelphia. I was only in town for a few days and had basically zero time for sightseeing, unfortunately, so I knew I wouldn't get to go visit on this trip. The night before leaving though I got curious and looked it up online, at least to see where it was. My hotel was right across the loving street. I still didn't have time to check it out, but we had to go right past on the way to the office we were there visiting, so I at least got to see the outside (and it is a very nice looking building indeed).

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

Ask me about who Jewish girls should not marry!

Paramemetic posted:

Florida has had some controversy, but none of it really risks excluding brothers who can answer those points firmly. The problem with Florida's GM declaration was that it grouped some otherwise qualified religious groups in with otherwise disqualified religious groups (agnostics) by name, and then justified this decision based on one man's interpretation of those other religions. Essentially a man took it upon himself to interpret the rules in a way that is far too narrow and risks excluding people who are qualified and, worse, expelling brothers who are otherwise in good standing.

Unless you're an Odinist, you should be pretty well covered.

That said, they won't ask you your religion as such. However, the investigation committee, which is a group of brothers they appoint to talk to you and make sure you're not ultra sketch basically, might ask where you go to Church or what religion you practice. This question isn't meant to check your qualifications but to assess moral character, so I'd answer it plainly and naturally if they ask it, as being defensive could set off alarm bells. Or tell them you prefer not to discuss religion because you consider it a deeply personal matter, but assure them you believe in God or however you feel it prudent to do that.

I was under the impression that they do *not* ask you what religion you practice. In the several years I've been a Mason and regularly attending lodge, meeting new people who are interested in joining, not once has that ever been asked. And I live in Florida.

While the guys are getting to know you, they might play a little social geography: "What church do you go to? Oh, do you know so-and-so? That's my wife's cousin" or some such. But they'll never ask you specifically any question about your religion besides if you believe in a Supreme Being (and in Florida, the immortality of the soul and the resurrection thereof to a future life), unless of course you yourself bring it up in natural conversation.

A ILL BREAKFAST: By all means, if you want to join the craft, go for it. I'd love to have you as a brother.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

lord1234 posted:

I think even asking this type of question belies a minor prejudice. This is a question that doesn't even need answering. The way a person looks, whether it be by choice or by handicap, means NOTHING. This also brings to my mind that we must temper our passions which really boil down in many ways to prejudices about someone over something relatively miniscule. The color of their skin(in some places still very prevalent), sexual orientation, looks, all fall into this.

The guy who runs the Freemasons page on Facebook and I have shared many words, primarily after a couple of libertarian rants in the guise of Masonic stuff.

He's a bit of a bad face for the craft, to be honest.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Why are you guys pushing the price of buttcoins back down to below $30?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Local Resident posted:

It's we've always done.

It's what we are doing.

It's what we will always do.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Local Resident posted:

Well, in the part of the SA forums that you guys cannot see, there is a little pool going on and to be honest, together with the mods we have a lot of money riding on short-selling the butt-coins. It will be all taken care of in a couple of days because, as you point out by posting, it is getting suspicious so we are cashing out.
Prices will go up later next week, no worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grhmhmltn
Oct 2, 2005

I'm delighted to be invited!
I've always been curious about the freemasons; my great-grandfather was a mason in England during the great depression, and my grandmother always said that they basically survived off the charity of his... brothers? In a certain sense I'd be interested in investigating my local lodge if only to reignite that tradition in my family.

But if I'm being completely honest, the thing that is most intriguing is the idea that being a mason might help my career in some way; I've heard stories of people getting jobs or promotions because they did the right handshake with the right person. Can you guys speak to this at all?

Also, on the subject of female masons, can any of you guys shed additional light on Elizabeth Aldworth? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Aldworth