Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

pokeyman posted:

Unfortunately I found iPad storyboards unusable. You must zoom to 100% to edit anything, yet every view controller insists on drawing at least one view (sometimes many in the case of tab bar or navigation view controllers) at 1024x768. I couldn't meaningfully edit an iPad storyboard on a 27" display, let alone anything smaller. So I gave up.

This is my main gripe with storyboards, honestly. Custom levels of zoom would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

pokeyman posted:

As always, try it and see what happens.

For what it's worth, collection views can do pretty much anything you like. They're the graph theory of UIKit: every problem can be solved with a collection view.

And if you need collection views on iOS 5, there's a polyfill called PSTCollectionView.

I seem to have a mental block on how to do this. I think I almost have it but I'm stuck. I need to create this (it's an empty template):

There can be X amount of modules in the view, so that's why I figured each UITableViewCell could be a UICollectionView. Each module has that Module Name, and Y amount of "Subheaders". Each subheader can have Z amount of "Items".

My thought process has been: Module name as well as Subheader are their own cell views whose width is set to be the full width of the UICollectionView. Then, each "Item" is its own subclassed UICollectionViewCell with its own designated widths. That way, they will act like CSS float and just run down to the next line once the next cell (the next "Item") doesn't fit. I then figure I could do the whole layoutAttributesForItemAtIndexPath: but I don't know how I would know the type of the cell?

Would something like this work?

Or, should each line be its own section, and have the Module Name and Subheader be the only cells in those section, and have them flow horizontally?

I apologize if I'm being unclear. UICollectionView just hasn't "clicked" for me just yet.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's overcomplicating things. Is there a reason you can't just make a custom UITableViewCell subclass that has text fields/labels/whatever for $###, ENTITY/Headline, and Date?

UITableViews can have a title for each section, as well as header and footer views for both the table and each section. So you could have the subheaders be the section titles, with the module name inside a custom section header view, and "See All" in a custom footer view.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 13, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
My first crack at implementing that mockup would probably be a table view. The fundamental unit I see here is the row. Make a cell subclass that lines everything up the way you want. Then "Module Name" etc. can either be section headers or cells, whichever you prefer.

I mean, you certainly could use a collection view, but it doesn't feel like the best fit. Sorry if I led you astray with my earlier comments about collection views.

e: what Doc Block said

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 13, 2013

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
I'm experiencing some strange graphical glitches with an embedded YouTube video in a UIWebview. I have capture from the simulator to show you what I'm talking about here:
http://youtu.be/n39r4sR923k

It's happening on my iPhone 5 as well. I'm running the app on iOS 6.1 (both in the simulator and on my hardware).

Basically, when I try to play a video and then dismiss it, the transition animation shows two separate frames dissolving/transforming back to the UIWebView's frame. If you scrub around the :23 second mark in my video, you'll see two distinct frames of LEGO people on the screen at the same time, masked by the bounds of the video modal that's being dismissed. It's also happening at :12 seconds in the video, though not as obvious because the video frame is white. One frame is being transformed from the center as it should, but the second is flying in from the upper left-hand corner.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot mid-dismissal, so you can see it better.

I'm using Storyboards & the UIWebView is an object I dragged out from the palette. The YouTube is being embedded in the UIWebView (viewYouTube) with code that looks like this:

code:
-(void)embedYouTube:(NSString *)urlStr {
    NSString *embedHTML = @"\
    <html><head>\
    </head><body style=\"margin:0\">\
    <embed id=\"yt\" src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/%@\"\
    type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\"\
    width=\"212\" height=\"120\"></embed>\
    </body></html>";

NSString *htmlString = [NSString stringWithFormat:embedHTML, urlStr];

[self.viewYouTube loadHTMLString:htmlString baseURL:nil];
}

- (void)viewDidLoad
{
    [super viewDidLoad];

[self embedYouTube:[self.gameObject objectForKey:@"youtube_url"]];
}
I tried instantiating a UIWebView with code only (no storyboards) and the same glitches persist. It must have something to do with the embed. Is there another, better way of embedding a YouTube video in a UIWebView?

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 13, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, that's overcomplicating things. Is there a reason you can't just make a custom UITableViewCell subclass that has text fields/labels/whatever for $###, ENTITY/Headline, and Date?

UITableViews can have a title for each section, as well as header and footer views for both the table and each section. So you could have the subheaders be the section titles, with the module name inside a custom section header view, and "See All" in a custom footer view.

pokeyman posted:

My first crack at implementing that mockup would probably be a table view. The fundamental unit I see here is the row. Make a cell subclass that lines everything up the way you want. Then "Module Name" etc. can either be section headers or cells, whichever you prefer.

I mean, you certainly could use a collection view, but it doesn't feel like the best fit. Sorry if I led you astray with my earlier comments about collection views.

e: what Doc Block said

That's the way I did our iPhone version, and when tasked with the iPad version didn't know if that was the "correct" way. Thanks for clearing things up guys :)

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Crashlytics Enterprise is now free with Twitter acquiring them.
http://www.crashlytics.com/blog/crashlytics-enterprise-is-now-free/

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I sure hope Twitter doesn't screw up Crashlytics.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Doc Block posted:

I sure hope Twitter doesn't screw up Crashlytics.

Yeah, I was about to post the same thing. If they're giving away the paid option now, I'm anxious about what their business direction is going to be.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
It might have just been a talent acquisition?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Hog Obituary posted:

It might have just been a talent acquisition?

Your app tweets all it's crashes now.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Would you guys happen to know why there's space inbetween my UITableViewCells?

That white line in between the lime green is what I'm trying to get rid of. The UITableView has its SeparatorStyle set to none. The UITableViewCell's frame is the same size as its content (I add my view to the cell's contentView. The table is a Grouped, but I have a custom UITableViewCell where I handle the side margins (I've tried changing the top margins but it doesn't affect anything).

I set the backgroundView to be red on the Cell, and the red comes through. So that means there's some sort of extra padding coming from somewhere, but I have no idea. That line also can't be seen behind my "content" (the white background to the left of it), so that means my content is laying on top of that extra space.

Short of posting my code, anyone else run into some little quirk somewhere about this? I ran into this issue because I'm trying to get a side drop shadow on the cells, and I almost have it except this "space" inbetween the cells causing the shadows to not line up and cause a space inbetween them - not good.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Client commissioning meeting in half hour? Check.

Suit steamcleaned and ready to go? Check.

Paperwork ready to go? Check.

Adhoc profiles ready to go?

quote:

We are performing maintenance on the provisioning service. All provisioning requests will remain in pending status until maintenance is complete, at which time all pending requests will be automatically processed.

:fuckoff:

Had to cancel the meeting, and the client is pissed off. The consultant wanted to invoke the financial penalities for late delivery of contract (I hate those, but govt contracting is a hairy beast), but he backed off after I pointed out that contract law in australia requires parties to accomodate third-party frusturation (where a third party causes a delay out of the control of the people in the contract). I'll be OK but holy poo poo do I not want to deal with this crap again.

Why is it that every loving time I have a drama with delivery of product to a client, its because Apple are loving impossible and give no shits. Like seriously, how about a notification or at least how long it'll be down for please Cupertino?

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 15, 2013

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Howdy folks. So work just sent me to a couple of Big Nerd Ranch bootcamps for iOS development. Been a developer for 15 years or so, but aside from some early dabblings in C/C++/Perl back in the day, I have been almost exclusively a Microsoft stack guy. C#, because FUUUUUUCK VB. Anyway - trying to get my head around the iOS way of doing things. So I have a few questions and want to make sure I'm clear on a few concepts.

My question is related to Core Data vs Database. Coming from C# (and more specifically Linq) I am used to the concept that C# classes mirror the database tables exactly. Linq will also generate collections for tables which are joined so if say you have a Project table, which has a number of Users associated with it. Then the Project class will have a Collection of User objects in it. Each of those classes will have a number of members equal to the number of columns in the database as well. Linq then handles all the CRUD operations for you, basically. If I create a new Project object, I only have to populate it, and call SubmitChanges on my DataContext and a new row automagically gets inserted.

It seems that the paradigm for Core Data is a good bit different - in that you really only worry about exactly what your app needs access to, and nothing else, then you rely on your Store layer to transition things between what Core Data expects and what's actually stored in your database. First - is my understanding correct?

As a more concrete example: I am working with a mySQL database and my test app is a messaging system. Users have a login, a friend's list and can send messages. So let's say my table structure for Message is something like:
code:
id INT autoincrement
messageText  VARCHAR(256)
senderId INT
recipientId INT
sentDate TIMESTAMP 
Now senderId and recipientId both reference a Users table. I'll be writing a web service layer which the app will communicate with to send messages. So I guess my question is: how would I lay out something like that (Users and Messages) in Core Data?

From what I've googled, it seems I don't need the id column, since Core Data kinda does its own indexing. Obviously I don't need senderId in the Entity, since that would always be the owner of the phone. But yeah - just looking for general guidance here on Core Data design vs Database design.

Thanks in advance.

As a side note: no interest in religious arguments about MS stack vs Apple's etc. I like both and think they both do what they do well. Perhaps that puts me in the minority, but there you go. I'm the sort of person who tries to blend in with the locals when I travel somewhere, so I wouldn't want my iOS code to look all .NET-y. ;)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

HaB posted:

My question is related to Core Data vs Database. Coming from C# (and more specifically Linq) I am used to the concept that C# classes mirror the database tables exactly.
[snip]
It seems that the paradigm for Core Data is a good bit different - in that you really only worry about exactly what your app needs access to, and nothing else, then you rely on your Store layer to transition things between what Core Data expects and what's actually stored in your database. First - is my understanding correct?

As a more concrete example: I am working with a mySQL database and my test app is a messaging system. Users have a login, a friend's list and can send messages. So let's say my table structure for Message is something like:
code:

id INT autoincrement
messageText  VARCHAR(256)
senderId INT
recipientId INT
sentDate TIMESTAMP 

Now senderId and recipientId both reference a Users table. I'll be writing a web service layer which the app will communicate with to send messages. So I guess my question is: how would I lay out something like that (Users and Messages) in Core Data?

I'm echoing something I've read when I say: try not to think of Core Data as a relational database. Think of it as managing an object graph, where vertices are your objects and edges are your relationships. That Core Data may save your objects to tables in a database is an implementation detail. Objects first.

So for your example, you have a User entity and a Message entity. Add sender and receiver relationships on Message, and add to-many relationships on User for "sentMessages" and "receivedMessages". (In Core Data you usually give every relationship an inverse.) Add attributes for messageText and sentDate and you're done. Basically, draw the entity-relationship diagram in Xcode and Core Data makes the tables/XML/web-service-calls as needed.

quote:

As a side note: no interest in religious arguments about MS stack vs Apple's etc. I like both and think they both do what they do well. Perhaps that puts me in the minority, but there you go. I'm the sort of person who tries to blend in with the locals when I travel somewhere, so I wouldn't want my iOS code to look all .NET-y. ;)

You'll find at least a few fans of C# and/or Microsoft's myriad products here, and regardless nobody cares to convince you to join their "team". Though I certainly understand the instinct to be up front about this on an Internet discussion forum.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

pokeyman posted:

I'm echoing something I've read when I say: try not to think of Core Data as a relational database. Think of it as managing an object graph, where vertices are your objects and edges are your relationships. That Core Data may save your objects to tables in a database is an implementation detail. Objects first.

So for your example, you have a User entity and a Message entity. Add sender and receiver relationships on Message, and add to-many relationships on User for "sentMessages" and "receivedMessages". (In Core Data you usually give every relationship an inverse.) Add attributes for messageText and sentDate and you're done. Basically, draw the entity-relationship diagram in Xcode and Core Data makes the tables/XML/web-service-calls as needed.

You'll find at least a few fans of C# and/or Microsoft's myriad products here, and regardless nobody cares to convince you to join their "team". Though I certainly understand the instinct to be up front about this on an Internet discussion forum.

Yeah right as I posted this I had a moment to talk to the instructor and he said something that made it click in: "think of Core Data as where you cache what your app needs from a database that's stored somewhere else." I heard a "ding!" when he said that. Thanks for the confirmation tho.

And yeah - just making sure on the MS/Apple thing. Had a few C# devs get legit mad at me when I sad I was learning iOS development. That's weird, man.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Core Data is basically just an object persistence framework for managing your model. Core Data can validate data, handle undo, manage relationships, and more. The fact you fetch objects using predicates, and the fact SQLite is a data store option, trips some people up into thinking of it only in terms of a database.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
speaking of core data:

Objective-C code:
// "entity" is a managed object (Note object) that has a relationship with another object.
// That associated entity has had a property set to "1" in the same context as "entity" in 
// another method that calls this one.

logger(@"The note has a related entity BEFORE CONTEXT SAVE of: %@", entity.associatedEntity);
// console shows the particular  property on the associated entity is 1, as expected

NSError *error = nil;
logger(@"ABOUT TO SAVE  CONTEXT!");
if(![entity.mangedObjectContext save:&error])
{
    // this does not log, so all is well, in theory...
    logger(@"gahhhh, error: %@", [error description]);
}

logger(@"The note has a related entity AFTER CONTEXT SAVE of: %@", entity.associatedEntity);
// console shows that same property on the associated entity is now 0
My merge policy is: NSMergeByPropertyObjectTrumpMergePolicy

Can saving the context change the value of a property, or somehow decide not to save it despite that merge policy... or something? I am baffled. I get that if I have objects in different context, or the same object in different contexts, they can be "out of sync" but here they are in a relationship, in the same context, etc...

:iiam:

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
The app I'm building lets users set "reminders" to alert them to things like when movies premiere, for game & music album release dates, etc. I'm currently using UILocalNotification for this - it works and seems like a lightweight way for users to set reminders inside my app. They ask to be reminded, and notification is created for the date of the item.

However, I'm wondering if it would be better to have the app instead create calendar items with alarms attached to them. This would be slightly more complicated, but gives the user more control over deleting notifications/reminders that they've set.

I'm not sure which is the more practical approach. Is it better to offer users more control/options and sacrifice simplicity here?

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 16, 2013

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

plasticbugs posted:

The app I'm building lets users set "reminders" to alert them to things like when movies premiere, for game & music album release dates, etc. I'm currently using UILocalNotification for this - it works and seems like a lightweight way for users to set reminders inside my app. They ask to be reminded, and notification is created for the date of the item.

However, I'm wondering if it would be better to have the app instead create calendar items with alarms attached to them. This would be slightly more complicated, but gives the user more control over deleting notifications/reminders that they've set.

I'm not sure which is the more practical approach. Is it better to offer users more control/options and sacrifice simplicity here?

Does the user want to see these in their calendar? In the upcoming events calendar on the notification screen? Multiple reminders? Should it mark them busy? If you need any of that fancy stuff then create calendar items, but make sure you let them choose the calendar to use.

Lumpy posted:

speaking of core data:

My merge policy is: NSMergeByPropertyObjectTrumpMergePolicy

Can saving the context change the value of a property, or somehow decide not to save it despite that merge policy... or something? I am baffled. I get that if I have objects in different context, or the same object in different contexts, they can be "out of sync" but here they are in a relationship, in the same context, etc...

:iiam:

Is the property a transient property? Calculated? Are you using custom subclasses and if so did you do anything on the class to gently caress with KVO or override any of the CoreData lifetime events? What if you restart the app - is the property now 1 as expected? What do you see in the SQLite store directly? What if you just set that property to 1, then save the context without doing anything else?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
How do I make a NSScrollView jump to the top?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Look at the NSScrollVIew's -contentView method, which returns an NSClipView, which has a -scrollToPoint: method you can (apparently) use to manually scroll the NSScrollView.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I'm considering switching away from Parse.com or any other hosted backend service as I might soon start to some processing on the server rather than pure CRUD and also I don't want to pay 200 bucks a month. Might as well pull that tooth now than later when data migration is going to be a real bitch.

Ignoring all of the pros of not having to worry about the backend, the client library of Parse is somewhat convenient as it already includes all the good stuff such as object serialization, retries with staggering, an offline saving queue, a security model and a lot of other convenient utilities. Having to re-do all of that from scratch would be a real time waster, so I'm wondering if there's already an OSS library out there that perhaps provides all of this functionality and only needs to be pointed to the right REST endpoint to do its magic.

My hopes are pretty low, and so my follow up question, if the above doesn't exist, is: what did you do? Did you slowly evolve your own NSURLRequest wrapper from scratch until it did most of what you wanted? How long did that take you more or less?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I've tried using RestKit a couple times. It's a lot of code to grok, but it also gets a lot done for you. Worth a look.

If I was doing now what I've used RestKit for in the past, I'd look at AFNetworking and NSIncrementalStore. It's not "from scratch" but it looks like a good start.

I also don't know what a Parse.com security model is, so these suggestions may not be relevant.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Doc Block posted:

Look at the NSScrollVIew's -contentView method, which returns an NSClipView, which has a -scrollToPoint: method you can (apparently) use to manually scroll the NSScrollView.

Objective-C code:
    NSPoint newScrollOrigin;

if ([[scroller documentView] isFlipped]) {
        newScrollOrigin=NSMakePoint(0.0,0.0);
    } else {
        newScrollOrigin=NSMakePoint(0.0,NSMaxY([[scroller documentView] frame])
                                    -NSHeight([[scroller contentView] bounds]));
    }

[[scroller documentView] scrollPoint:newScrollOrigin];
This doesn't work.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

pokeyman posted:

I've tried using RestKit a couple times. It's a lot of code to grok, but it also gets a lot done for you. Worth a look.

If I was doing now what I've used RestKit for in the past, I'd look at AFNetworking and NSIncrementalStore. It's not "from scratch" but it looks like a good start.

I also don't know what a Parse.com security model is, so these suggestions may not be relevant.

RestKit does look very full-featured, thanks a bunch, I'll have to investigate. I looked at AFNetworking and I still can't tell what exactly it does :|

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm considering switching away from Parse.com or any other hosted backend service as I might soon start to some processing on the server rather than pure CRUD and also I don't want to pay 200 bucks a month. Might as well pull that tooth now than later when data migration is going to be a real bitch.

Ignoring all of the pros of not having to worry about the backend, the client library of Parse is somewhat convenient as it already includes all the good stuff such as object serialization, retries with staggering, an offline saving queue, a security model and a lot of other convenient utilities. Having to re-do all of that from scratch would be a real time waster, so I'm wondering if there's already an OSS library out there that perhaps provides all of this functionality and only needs to be pointed to the right REST endpoint to do its magic.

My hopes are pretty low, and so my follow up question, if the above doesn't exist, is: what did you do? Did you slowly evolve your own NSURLRequest wrapper from scratch until it did most of what you wanted? How long did that take you more or less?

Just double checking, but you're aware Parse does server-side processing, right? https://parse.com/docs/cloud_code_guide

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

Just double checking, but you're aware Parse does server-side processing, right? https://parse.com/docs/cloud_code_guide

I am, but, being a grumpy old backend fart, I don't know if I'll eventually run into scenarios where their solution doesn't work for me and I should have just rolled out my own server months earlier.

Anybody super happy with Cloud Code?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sinestro posted:

Objective-C code:
    NSPoint newScrollOrigin;

if ([[scroller documentView] isFlipped]) {
        newScrollOrigin=NSMakePoint(0.0,0.0);
    } else {
        newScrollOrigin=NSMakePoint(0.0,NSMaxY([[scroller documentView] frame])
                                    -NSHeight([[scroller contentView] bounds]));
    }

[[scroller documentView] scrollPoint:newScrollOrigin];
This doesn't work.

I believe it's from Apple's documentation. My NSScrollView subclass uses it without issue.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Toady posted:

I believe it's from Apple's documentation. My NSScrollView subclass uses it without issue.

That's where I got it from, but it doesn't do anything.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Our app is free on the App Store, but the moment you start it up you need to login with your credentials. An account with our service is not free and costs a fair amount of money. We just got a couple bad reviews because people couldn't login to the App, even though our service just launched and we don't even have a way to have people sign up on our website (we're targeting institutions and are scheduling demos and actual sales team interraction).

We currently don't mention requiring an active account with us because we weren't sure of Apple's policy in regards to our app being free on the store, but requiring a paid service outside of Apple's control (and therefore they would not receive any of the revenue). Can we put up some text in the app description saying an active account is required without getting screwed over by Apple? Or could I put some text on the login screen in the app saying that?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IIRC you can mention that users must already have an account or need to go make one, but not have a link to your site's sign up page in the app.

That's how Hulu and Netflix get away with not having to give Apple 30%.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 18, 2013

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Our app is free on the App Store, but the moment you start it up you need to login with your credentials. An account with our service is not free and costs a fair amount of money. We just got a couple bad reviews because people couldn't login to the App, even though our service just launched and we don't even have a way to have people sign up on our website (we're targeting institutions and are scheduling demos and actual sales team interraction).

We currently don't mention requiring an active account with us because we weren't sure of Apple's policy in regards to our app being free on the store, but requiring a paid service outside of Apple's control (and therefore they would not receive any of the revenue). Can we put up some text in the app description saying an active account is required without getting screwed over by Apple? Or could I put some text on the login screen in the app saying that?

Login roadblock, prominent notice on the description that an account is required, no links telling them to subscribe or ability to do so in the app.

Apple might be finicky but their mindset is that if you used them to acquire a user, they want their tax. Approach writing your copy with that in mind. This means that a link to sign up, e en if the form is an external website, is verboten but a "you need a blah.com account to use this app" should be okay. Sometimes they get picky and even a '.com' will get them antsy and they'll ask you to remove that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

RestKit does look very full-featured, thanks a bunch, I'll have to investigate. I looked at AFNetworking and I still can't tell what exactly it does :|

RestKit is code for networking, (de)serializing JSON/XML/whatever, moving stuff between your web server and Core Data.

AFNetworking is code for networking. NSIncrementalStore moves stuff between your web server and Core Data. Serialization is up to you.

In my aforementioned experiences with RestKit, I ended up writing so much code to handle the serialization that I might as well have done it myself. (At least it felt that way.) Thus why I say I'd use other code if I was doing it again. This was also 1+ years ago so presumably RestKit has improved.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I have an enterprise application that I made a while ago, and on their account the Distribution Certificate is about to expire. To my understanding, this also goes along with the distribution profile that is associated with it. I have a clients iPad that is warning them that their provision profile is going to expire. Is there any way I can generate a new profile and have it work on their iPad without making a new application build?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah those are separate. As long as the app has a bundle identifier that the profile accepts (e.g., com.stayonthescene.*), you can revoke / create a new profile with the new certificate and they'll pair up just fine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there some secret trick to creating ad hoc provision profiles that work? I'm following all the steps and I don't get any error messages until the profile gets loaded into Xcode. Then it says "valid signing identity not found" in the Organizer and won't let me select it in the target settings. I've downloaded every file that looks obvious from the provisioning portal and none of them seem to help.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

gooby on rails posted:

Is there some secret trick to creating ad hoc provision profiles that work? I'm following all the steps and I don't get any error messages until the profile gets loaded into Xcode. Then it says "valid signing identity not found" in the Organizer and won't let me select it in the target settings. I've downloaded every file that looks obvious from the provisioning portal and none of them seem to help.

Was it setup on someone else's machine? Did they send you the signing key?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

lord funk posted:

Yeah those are separate. As long as the app has a bundle identifier that the profile accepts (e.g., com.stayonthescene.*), you can revoke / create a new profile with the new certificate and they'll pair up just fine.

Oh sweet. Thank you. I was scared of starting this just because I didn't want to go through the BS of building it again all because it was an app made prior to iOS 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Glimm posted:

Was it setup on someone else's machine? Did they send you the signing key?

I suspect this may be it, yeah. I eventually got told by the guy I'm working with that I should just use the development profile for all TestFlight activity, which seems a little odd but it does make it work. I thought the whole point of the ad hoc/TF system was to save us having to recompile the app every time we change the set of permitted users, but if Apple left no way around that I won't be surprised at all.