Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Ersatz posted:

Different firm - sorry about that. I have my share of all-nighters around reexam deadlines, but overall I think it's worth it, because I actually enjoy that work. The budgets are large enough that there's an opportunity to dig in to the technology and really understand what's going on, there's a lot of writing involved, and sophisticated arguments are expected instead of discouraged. Also, given my billable rate, I realized that if I were to stick with straight prep and pros I would need to manage an unreasonable number of cases and a small army of handling attorneys to make my hours. I'd rather just go all in on a few reexams at a time. The workload can oscillate in weird ways, but I find it much less stressful.

I won't lie, I hate the hours I have to put in for them, but I do like reexam work for all the reasons you mentioned. My main problem is reexam deadlines seem to line themselves up with deadlines on my prosecution docket.

Those make for very unhappy days/nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
I went to the oral arguments at the Federal Circuit for CLS Bank. The guy representing CLS Bank was freaking incredible.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I went to the oral arguments at the Federal Circuit for CLS Bank. The guy representing CLS Bank was freaking incredible.

I had occasion to listen to one of BP's head lawyers in oral argument. Dude was mind blowing.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
We're up against Quinn in my current case and I hate them so much but they are truly amazing and deserve their reputation.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

We're up against Quinn in my current case and I hate them so much but they are truly amazing and deserve their reputation.

Sort of. I've had Quinn as opposing counsel a couple times now and they are a weird mix of very good and so convinced they're the best they make stupid mistakes they don't need to (just look at Verhoeven's behavior during Apple-Samsung for examples).

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The man made robocop, I'd say he's entitled to an unforced error or two.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

mikeraskol posted:

I've had Quinn for depositions. One time dude wore boat shoes and faded purple jeans. Did a mediocre job.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Weird to hear of them doing a mediocre job. In all my interactions with them on this case so far they have been excellent. I've only dealt with them this one time though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

Weird to hear of them doing a mediocre job. In all my interactions with them on this case so far they have been excellent. I've only dealt with them this one time though.

Which office? I feel like SF is the most inconsistent.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Hmmm I haven't posted in a while, so here we go. Graduated from the same school as HolySwissCheese and a few others in this thread with about a 3.1 GPA. Didn't take the bar the first time around and worked doing phone sales for a bit, which eventually knocked some sense into me and lit a fire under my rear end. Ended up getting a job with a County Attorney's office doing Transactional work as a law clerk PT (with benefits). Moved up to FT and the division head has basically told me that, assuming I pass the bar this summer (want to save up money for when I go back PT to study), then they should have a position for me there as a bunch of lifers in the office are retiring.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Glow Sticks posted:

Hey guys I just got into Georgetown and read on their website about their A vs B curricula for 1ls. A is a traditional Law School curriculum with Torts and Civil Procedure and whatnot and B is apparently a "cross-disciplinary" thing that focuses on the "why" of law instead of the "how." Instead of the usual stuff you take things like "Democracy and Coercion" instead of Criminal Justice.

In other words the B curriculum looks like a huge trap to me and "A" looks like what I should be doing. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience about the two curricula?

Curriculum B, called Section 3 once you enroll, volunteers you for extra work because you have to learn the black-letter law in addition to the other stuff. But it also puts you in class with the most interesting people in your year. If you can stomach additional reading I recommend it highly.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Canadian lawyers and students: Thoughts on McGill? It's my top choice and it's where I'm doing my undergrad. I should be eligible for that delicious QC residency by the time I start so my tuition will be peanuts (3.6k/yr). I know it has the layperson rep but what about among actual lawyers and employers? Also any thoughts on the student experience?

(It's obviously no guarantee I'll get in but my stats are very strong so I have as good a shot as anyone)

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 17, 2013

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Basically all law schools are good in Canada, except maybe TRU. Some are considered more good, and McGill is one of them.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

WaveLength posted:

Canadian lawyers and students: Thoughts on McGill? It's my top choice and it's where I'm doing my undergrad. I should be eligible for that delicious QC residency by the time I start so my tuition will be peanuts (3.6k/yr). I know it has the layperson rep but what about among actual lawyers and employers? Also any thoughts on the student experience?

(It's obviously no guarantee I'll get in but my stats are very strong so I have as good a shot as anyone)

I've heard good things about McGill, and the LLM students from there that I've met have all been pretty on the ball.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Jesus, what the gently caress law firms. What the gently caress.

Given the quality of the average US examiner I wouldn't hire any either if I were in the position to do so, ha haha haha! haha ha.. ha...

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

WaveLength posted:

I'm a few years out, but my impression has always been that U of T grads can go anywhere in the country, but for most other schools your decision should take into account where you want to end up practicing.

The other practical concern is that each province has its own windows for hiring articling students. If I'm remembering right, Alberta was done before BC started, meaning that if your first choice was Vancouver you had to accept or decline in Alberta without knowing yet if you'd have any luck in BC. Who needs a safety net, anyways?

Also, would you be taking the dual degree?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zo posted:

Given the quality of the average US examiner I wouldn't hire any either if I were in the position to do so, ha haha haha! haha ha.. ha...

touché

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I just read Cheek v. United States and it reminded me of you guys and our wonderful sovereign-citizen chats.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Zo posted:

Baruch Obamawitz writes in coherent sentences that strongly resemble English. He's better than most already.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

He's so articulate.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

wacko_- posted:

Baruch Obamawitz writes in coherent sentences that strongly resemble English. He's better than most already.

Really? Most of his sentences read as "a bloo bloo" more than anything, at least in this thread.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

tau posted:

Really? Most of his sentences read as "a bloo bloo" more than anything, at least in this thread.

I've been trolling this thread about my salary and working from home and yet still being looking for a job for at least two years now but I'm not very good at it.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

Schitzo posted:

I'm a few years out, but my impression has always been that U of T grads can go anywhere in the country, but for most other schools your decision should take into account where you want to end up practicing.

The other practical concern is that each province has its own windows for hiring articling students. If I'm remembering right, Alberta was done before BC started, meaning that if your first choice was Vancouver you had to accept or decline in Alberta without knowing yet if you'd have any luck in BC. Who needs a safety net, anyways?

Also, would you be taking the dual degree?

I'm torn between staying in Montreal (which I've loved the last 3 years) and returning to Toronto (my home city), so McGill seems to fit right into that niche. As far as I know McGill is pretty well represented in Toronto firms. Also, I would have 0 debt, as opposed to $30k+ if I went to an Ontario school.

On your second point, I'm not sure how articling hiring windows have any relevance for schools. It seems like that problem would be the same wherever I go to school. Am I missing something?

McGill only offers a "trans-systemic" LLB/BCL in common and civil law, which takes 3.5 years instead of the usual 3.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I've been trolling this thread about my salary and working from home and yet still being looking for a job for at least two years now but I'm not very good at it.

You don't have to lie to us. We know that you're really a sad, lonely shell of your pre-law school self clinging to whatever attention you can find, even if the only way you know how to find it is through "trolling" this thread.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 2, 2013

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If you have a job you may be on billable hour 21 on Monday morning of a three day weekend.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

evilweasel posted:

If you have a job you may be on billable hour 21 on Monday morning of a three day weekend.

Is that good or bad?

Today's billable hours: 0

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

joat mon posted:

Is that good or bad?

Today's billable hours: 0

Bad. Very bad.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Or, you could have an ordinary 9-to-5 job, have got up at 11, and currently be spending your time pondering such weighty questions as "How many hours of SA forums posts have been billed to clients over the years?"

Of course, then you don't make the Big Law bucks, so six of one, half a dozen of the other, don't go to law school.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

WaveLength posted:

I'm torn between staying in Montreal (which I've loved the last 3 years) and returning to Toronto (my home city), so McGill seems to fit right into that niche. As far as I know McGill is pretty well represented in Toronto firms. Also, I would have 0 debt, as opposed to $30k+ if I went to an Ontario school.

On your second point, I'm not sure how articling hiring windows have any relevance for schools. It seems like that problem would be the same wherever I go to school. Am I missing something?

Canada's law school system is pretty regional and flat, but McGill and Toronto are the prestige schools to the extent that we have them. (there might be a second tier equivalent to the bottom 10 of the US' T14, but its occupants are debatable which kind of defeats the purpose of a prestige ranking - also, regionalism complicates things here too)

If you have Quebec residency and get into McGill debt-free (and actually want to be a lawyer), for god's sake go there. Also Montreal is a much more awesome place to live than Toronto IMO, you may feel differently.

Hiring windows aren't really relevant for schools except maybe in the sense that a school in your target province might make the time around that province's hiring window a little less stressful work-wise, but this is a minor thing at best (if it ever even happens).

Any idea where you want to practice?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

evilweasel posted:

That's me! Except hour 18.

Edit: mediation is such a crock of poo poo.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 18, 2013

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I agree with Baruch's post, it's incredible but I know how you can make $160,000 a year by posting on the internet from home. My sister in law just bought a new BMW with the money she gets following these simple tips: https://ixnaylawschool.lol.com

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I know he claims to be trolling, but I once met Baruch Obamawitz and the guy is downright opulent.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Does he eat gilded grapes, like savings de money, and keep a baby giraffe as a pet? If not I'm not impressed.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

Dallan Invictus posted:

Canada's law school system is pretty regional and flat, but McGill and Toronto are the prestige schools to the extent that we have them. (there might be a second tier equivalent to the bottom 10 of the US' T14, but its occupants are debatable which kind of defeats the purpose of a prestige ranking - also, regionalism complicates things here too)

If you have Quebec residency and get into McGill debt-free (and actually want to be a lawyer), for god's sake go there. Also Montreal is a much more awesome place to live than Toronto IMO, you may feel differently.

Hiring windows aren't really relevant for schools except maybe in the sense that a school in your target province might make the time around that province's hiring window a little less stressful work-wise, but this is a minor thing at best (if it ever even happens).

Any idea where you want to practice?

Yeah, I'm pretty much confirming McGill as my top choice just for the combination of finances and prestige, and it becomes a slam dunk when you factor in the location. I've been in Montreal for the last 3 years and it has been pretty great, though I see myself shooting for Bay Street down the line, either that or Montreal biglaw. Of course, with no debt it's not even all that terrible if I end up not wanting to do the corporate thing.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
How well do you speak French and would you be doing common law & civil (do you see a need for the civil degree)?

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 19, 2013

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
From the specific perspective of a firm interviewing a candidate, what (in a general sense) is the best answer/approach to the why law school question? If you were hiring a candidate, what type/form of the answer would you be looking for?

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

Zarkov Cortez posted:

How well do you speak French and would you be doing common law & civil (do you see a need for the civil degree)?

I speak French quite well (for an Anglo) and plan to do an intensive 3 month French course this summer followed by a full year of french in my last year of undergrad to bring my reading and writing back up to snuff. While I'm leaning towards returning to Ontario, I would also like the option to stay in Montreal, so the civil degree does give me something. McGill only offers the joint program so I'd have to study both traditions. It is also my pipe dream to clerk for the SCC, so both the bilingualism and trans-systemia of it all gives me a slight bump there - McGill accounts for like 20% of the SCC clerks every year.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
McGill tuition: $3k
Toronto tuition: $30k

This is not a difficult decision.

And McGill is fine for Bay Street hiring if you do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mons Hubris posted:

I know he claims to be trolling, but I once met Baruch Obamawitz and the guy is downright opulent.

I think I was even wearing a shirt