Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

opengl128 posted:

I've always been curious when they do the car sports thing and beat the poo poo out of a bunch of brand new cars; who pays for them? Does the BBC buy them all then fix them? Rent them and fix them afterwards? Sell for parts? Aside from the body damage I'm sure the drivetrains take a beating too.

They probably phone around the manufacturers and see who is willing to write off a dozen of them for some free advertising. They also used Toyota Aygos for the football and Suzuki Swifts for the ice hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Falken posted:

Well, the C'eed is just that drat good. I wish my neighbor who upgrades his Kia every 3 years gets it. His wife cannot park for poo poo.

Also, Lewis seemed way more relaxed in this interview than I've ever seen him. The Mclaren bullshit is already starting to fall away.
Cee'd. And I wish they'd sell it in the US.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Haven't seen yesterdays episode yet, but it sure sounds good.

Somewhat related question. Has anybody here been to a Top Gear Live show? They're coming to Belgium in about 2 months, and I want to go, but all my friends are bitching about the price. Tickets range between 40 and 99 euro. It's totally worth that amount of money right?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

beedeebee posted:

Somewhat related question. Has anybody here been to a Top Gear Live show? They're coming to Belgium in about 2 months, and I want to go, but all my friends are bitching about the price. Tickets range between 40 and 99 euro. It's totally worth that amount of money right?

I saw the one in Copenhagen last year, and had the most expensive tickets available.

Get the cheapest tickets, the backstage tour isn't worth the extra cash.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

blk posted:

Bit too much schilling for Kia there. Referring to the car by brand name in every possible instance, even when it's the only car they've been talking about for the majority of the episode? The celebrity appearances further make me question the integrity of the show. I wonder what the story is.

Also funny how the Mastretta is basically the same formula as a Noble or many other home-grown British sports cars with similar defects, yet the best they can do is replace their incessant casual racism with insipid commentary and abbreviated condescension.

PS: motoring journalists, for gently caress's sake, when talking about cultures you don't understand, please stop trying to make cute analogies. You don't need to talk about tortillas when reviewing a Mexican car. You don't need to talk about sushi, sumo, geisha or giant robots when talking about a Japanese car. Stop.

Top Gear had integrity?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I hate daft jokes too that's why I browse the joke free forums at something awful dot com.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

angryhampster posted:

Top Gear had integrity?

Maybe he thinks this about the old top gear? The more I read it the less I understand that post.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

blk posted:

Bit too much schilling for Kia there. Referring to the car by brand name in every possible instance, even when it's the only car they've been talking about for the majority of the episode? The celebrity appearances further make me question the integrity of the show. I wonder what the story is.

Also funny how the Mastretta is basically the same formula as a Noble or many other home-grown British sports cars with similar defects, yet the best they can do is replace their incessant casual racism with insipid commentary and abbreviated condescension.

PS: motoring journalists, for gently caress's sake, when talking about cultures you don't understand, please stop trying to make cute analogies. You don't need to talk about tortillas when reviewing a Mexican car. You don't need to talk about sushi, sumo, geisha or giant robots when talking about a Japanese car. Stop.

Shutup.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Falken posted:

His wife cannot park for poo poo.

That parking demonstration was just fantastic. Cooler than Eric Clapton.

Also I was surprised into laughing for like a minute at "No, don't wriggle about; you'll get water on the sodium! That's what happened to your mum."

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

VodeAndreas posted:

"If we talk your car up a bit can you give us 10 of them to ram into each other?"

I don't mind the PR spin if the results are worth it... It's been a long while now since they last played soccer/sports with cars.

Sports with cars just needs to be a real thing. Its surprisingly entertaining to watch and I bet is way more fun than a demo derby to take part in.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

Cee'd. And I wish they'd sell it in the US.

Is it not basically the Rio 5 door? I thought they were pretty similar but I don't know the details.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

davebo posted:

Is it not basically the Rio 5 door? I thought they were pretty similar but I don't know the details.

Wikipedia sez:

Wikipedia posted:

The Ceed is Kias first European designed and built car. The company says that its a European car for European people and it wont be on sale in other parts of the world. [...] The Cee'd is currently available only in European markets (as the Kia Forte, already sold outside Europe would then be in direct competition with the Cee'd) and in Iran and South Africa, where it was imported in August 2009.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I was thinking last night, as I watched the show, that car companies have to destroy massive amounts of brand new cars all the time for insurance reasons. Why? Those things ought to be set aside for comedy sporting events! Imagine what Top Gear could do with 100 BMW's that were damaged in shipping!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

(I wish they had a more close-up shot of the dong board, because I'm still 13 years old.)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That grey #5 Cee'd took a hell of a beating.
Not as bad off as the #1:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

nmfree posted:

Not as bad off as the #1:

It's the new auto-adjusting camber option.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I love how after each new episode, this thread can be summed up by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

captainOrbital posted:

That parking demonstration was just fantastic. Cooler than Eric Clapton.

Also I was surprised into laughing for like a minute at "No, don't wriggle about; you'll get water on the sodium! That's what happened to your mum."

Then a poomf followed by silence...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When is the Christmas special? Halfway through the announced February and I don't know if an official announcement has been made on the date of the special.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Having just seen the Mustang vs. train race on BBCA, the fuel capacity of the car is actually 60.5 liters, not 50. And when it says 50 miles left, that doesn't mean 50 actual miles. Those are car computer miles, which don't have much relation to the physical universe.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Presto posted:

And when it says 50 miles left, that doesn't mean 50 actual miles. Those are car computer miles, which don't have much relation to the physical universe.

Which Jeremy would know from his race the turn on the Blackpool lights in his diesel Jag.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Presto posted:

Having just seen the Mustang vs. train race on BBCA, the fuel capacity of the car is actually 60.5 liters, not 50. And when it says 50 miles left, that doesn't mean 50 actual miles. Those are car computer miles, which don't have much relation to the physical universe.

16 gallons is still a bit small for a V8 anything, let alone a GT500.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Presto posted:

Clarkson loves to be very literal when it comes to cars. I feel like he expects cars to be exactly what they say they are or claim to be with no room for error. Any thing else and they are broken or made poorly or magic or something. I also think its his personal sick hobby to find these inconsistencies and exploit them for our entertainment.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Presto posted:

50 miles doing burnouts on a semi wet surface with the air conditioning off.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is the next episode the last one in the series? :ohdear:

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Residency Evil posted:

Is the next episode the last one in the series? :ohdear:

There's at least 2 more if I recall the spoilers I read right.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davebo posted:

The Rio is a sub compact car and the Cee'd is a compact. The 2014 Forte 5 would be the closest to the Cee'd but they aren't quite the same.

Unfortunately the Cee'd is a bit better looking.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was an enjoyable episode of TG. Interesting to see Clarkson getting stuck into the Focus ST, considering his love for Ford and his love for the previous model ST (aka The ASBO). Also surprising to see the ST get off the line quicker, considering it is heavier than both the Renault and Vaxuhall, and less power.

The rugby segment was good, and I don't think it outran its length.

I agree with the comments about Hamilton looking a lot happier and less stressed compared to all the advertising stuff he had to do with McLaren.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

angryhampster posted:

That Mastretta is seriously hideous. I liked the 'Mexican' Chevy Suburban with Illinois tags on it too. :)

I just figured out what it reminded me of... see the chart at the beginning of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbO_CaGJXZ4

The TVR even has a floppy bonnet.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 19, 2013

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Dick Diggler posted:

Eh, that's a range of 384 miles of highway driving (24 mpg EPA estimate). Of course, that's not at whatever speeds Clarkson as driving, but you still should be getting a drat sight more than 140 miles. I wonder if he wasn't cruising in.... top gear.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Presto posted:

Eh, that's a range of 384 miles of highway driving (24 mpg EPA estimate). Of course, that's not at whatever speeds Clarkson as driving, but you still should be getting a drat sight more than 140 miles. I wonder if he wasn't cruising in.... top gear.

Does the epa test on road or simulated on a dyno with no air resistance?
In any case, other than the bit of road construction, even without speeding the entire trip across France would have been done at a sustained 80mph (130kph) which is the speed limit. That would significantly affect fuel consumption; the mustang doesn't look particularly slick aerodynamically.

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

I guess I'm the only one who thought this was a poo poo episode. And this season has been awesome on the whole. I was looking forward to some good chat on the Megane RS, instead Jeremy just made fun of its seats and then did a hot hatch drag race. Such insight. They brought a concept car to the studio - does anybody really care about concept cars? And the car football/rugby segments are always pretty boring. The Lewis Hamilton bit was the only good part of that episode.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Aren't most American cars still geared for a 55 MPH cruising speed?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mutt2jeff posted:

Imagine what Top Gear could do with 100 BMW's that were damaged in shipping!

-5-Series destruction derby.
-Can a 5-Series beat a Hilux on survivability?
-Star in a not so reasonably priced car.
-Tonight...BMW enters into the Mongol Rally and Richard Hammond cries like a little girl.

I would pay to watch that last one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

jediguy posted:

I guess I'm the only one who thought this was a poo poo episode. And this season has been awesome on the whole. I was looking forward to some good chat on the Megane RS, instead Jeremy just made fun of its seats and then did a hot hatch drag race. Such insight. They brought a concept car to the studio - does anybody really care about concept cars? And the car football/rugby segments are always pretty boring. The Lewis Hamilton bit was the only good part of that episode.

Conversely, the Megane was chatted about as much as needed to prove the point of the segment, the concept car is beautiful and they gave it just the right amount of time, the car sports are hilarious fun, and Lewis Hamilton is terrible.

:colbert:

Looking forward to James versus the Robots.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Tonights Top Gear US is definitely not a rehashed UK challenge. It's also making me uncomfortable.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

The Vitesse "review" was one of the worst car reviews I have ever seen.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jediguy posted:

I guess I'm the only one who thought this was a poo poo episode.

Yep, in this case you are. The handbrake talk had me in stitches especially

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah the Veyron bit was pointless, but the rest was gold. I loved Rut's reveal of his car "...so I added a 100 wet shot of nitrous". A little upset it didn't grenade his engine though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Dick Diggler posted:

I was looking at its average MPG on track during the episode. Based on what I read If you had 20 min run groups you could burn through drat near a full tank every 2 to 3 runs. (I may have been drinking when reading that and running the numbers so take that with a large grain of salt)

Sadi fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

opengl128 posted:

Yeah the Veyron bit was pointless, but the rest was gold. I loved Rut's reveal of his car "...so I added a 100 wet shot of nitrous". A little upset it didn't grenade his engine though.

I thought Rut telling the valet to get out and then having to hand the car over to Tanner was pretty funny.