Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012

psychic chasms posted:

I don't know if this thread is the appropriate place for it, but I'm sure you kiddos remember this particular window into the conservative mindset regarding the poor - I'm sorry, I meant the "poor."

That was 2011. Now we're getting the same poo poo in National Review, except now they link to a "concerning" study and since it's NR the talking point can now be called like, intellectual or something. gently caress me.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/277040/strange-facts-about-america-s-poor-robert-rector

Does anyone else in D&D hate-follow NRO's Facebook page just for the undiluted loving amazing insight into the outlook of their readers? The comments on their Facebook posts, despite the fact that they're under real names and supposedly denote real people, actually seem worse than what you get on the site. There could be a whole thread on those guys.

Oh god, National Review. My dad reads it daily, and treats any hack who writes an article there as if they're a sophisticated intellectual. Now he seems to truly believe that western civilization is doomed because the Saracens will outbreed us, and that liberals are the REAL fascists. :negative:

I think its reputation as a source of serious conservative thought should earn it a spot in the OP. It definitely seems to serve as a gateway drug into the right wing alternate universe for people who should really know better. Here's a quck description I made for it:

quote:

A right wing tabloid with an inexplicable reputation for sophisticated, intellectual conservatism. Founded by William Buckley, National Review got its start in the fifties defending segregation, and it's all been down hill from there. Home of pseudo-intellectual hacks such as Jonah "Liberal Fascism" Goldberg, Mark "OOGITY BOOGITY MUSLIMS" Steyn, and Suzanne "Stop the war on men" Venker. Its role in the right wing noise machine seems to be to take the talking points of guys like Limbaugh and Hannity and give them an air of legitimacy by paraphrasing them with big words, using its intellectual reputation to turn it into a Serious Thing that Serious People need to Seriously Consider.

Also notable for the National Review Cruise, offering the opportunity to pay thousands of dollars to spend a week trapped on a boat with a bunch of conservative hacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Didn't National Review post that "Women should like Romney, because his virile seed has fathered strong sons, while Obama's has only created useless girl-children" thing?

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Didn't National Review post that "Women should like Romney, because his virile seed has fathered strong sons, while Obama's has only created useless girl-children" thing?

Yes

Obama is not fit to rule because he has failed to sire a male heir. American conservatism in 2012. :shepicide:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Alpha 1 posted:

Here's a quck description I made for it:

Replace "bunch of conservative hacks" with John Yoo and Ralph Reed (the existential horror of being stuck on a boat with them being self-explanatory) and you got a winner.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

Don't slap a "friend of the family baby".

http://wonkette.com/501693/idaho-man-slaps-black-baby-on-plane-is-not-a-racist

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Alpha 1 posted:

Oh god, National Review. My dad reads it daily, and treats any hack who writes an article there as if they're a sophisticated intellectual. Now he seems to truly believe that western civilization is doomed because the Saracens will outbreed us, and that liberals are the REAL fascists. :negative:

I think its reputation as a source of serious conservative thought should earn it a spot in the OP. It definitely seems to serve as a gateway drug into the right wing alternate universe for people who should really know better. Here's a quck description I made for it:

Added. Thanks for writing that up.

I think the National Review and books from people like Beck and O'Reilly add an air of sophistication and credibility to conservative arguments, at least in the minds of conservatives. I'm not quite sure how to word it, but the fact that "I read a book" or being able to say "if you've read Beck's book..." gives a whiff of intellectualism to their arguments. I doubt conservatives read as many books as liberals but I don't have anything to back that up.

I hope that made sense.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 18, 2013

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Alpha 1 posted:

Yes

Obama is not fit to rule because he has failed to sire a male heir. American conservatism in 2012. :shepicide:

Ah yes, daughters. The true sign of any weak president or man. At least since 2008. I'm sure the National Review was just as mad with this president as well.

Yet they probably called this guy the 'manliest man to ever walk among men'.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Angry Bum posted:

Ah yes, daughters. The true sign of any weak president or man. At least since 2008. I'm sure the National Review was just as mad with this president as well.

Yet they probably called this guy the 'manliest man to ever walk among men'.

Of course Bush was manly, you saw how much binge drinking and craziness his daughters were up to right? Obama's daughters are probably straight-edge.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Dang, if out of control children is a sign of manliness then Sarah Palin must be lumberjack levels of manly.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cheapsteaks posted:

Dang, if out of control children is a sign of manliness then Sarah Palin must be lumberjack levels of manly.
Nah, this is what National Review had to say about Palin:

quote:

I’m sure I’m not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, “Hey, I think she just winked at me.” And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Oh God. I think that means they find her moe.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The last time we had a President with male offspring the resulting brood totally hosed up everything.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cheapsteaks posted:

Got some nether regions like Chyna

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You can't go an a page-long NRO bash without turning over the Debryshire rock. That guy was awesome.

EDIT: For future googlers, the column that got him fired wasn't actually on NRO, but it easily could've been.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Alpha 1 posted:

I need a combination of :ironicat: and :laugh:

Alpha 1 posted:

Here's a quck description I made for it:

This is great. It really can't be asked enough but how is WFB, a man who proudly defended segregation, unironically revered as an "intellectual?" :shepface:

Also, watt parr, does RAND really have an explicit ideological tilt? I know it's a govt spin-off, and the few studies I've come across didn't seem to be pushing an agenda. :confused:

psychic chasms
Oct 23, 2012

SCREWED UP CLICK TILL THEY LAY ME IN MY CASKET
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/340896/no-flat-tax-and-other-stale-ideas-james-pethokoukis

Really, they should know better than to talk poo poo about the gold standard. I mean, just because some of their writers hold the basic intellect to see how bad an idea it is doesn't mean that the subscribers who pay their bills and buy staterooms on their lovely river "cruises" do. The magazine has full-page goldbug ads, sometimes two or three, in every issue.

article posted:

But why do we need to actually balance the budget?

:getin:

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

quote:

In an interview, Hundley denied striking the toddler or using a racial slur, though he did acknowledge that he “asked the mother to quiet the child.” Hundley, who said he was traveling to Atlanta to visit a hospitalized relative, described himself as “distraught” on the flight, during which he said he consumed a single alcoholic drink.

To paraphrase Chris Rock, if he's admitting to "one drink," it's probably closer to eight. There's a curve for these things.

Also seconding a mention of the Derbyshire debacle. Have a money quote:

quote:

(10) Thus, while always attentive to the particular qualities of individuals, on the many occasions where you have nothing to guide you but knowledge of those mean differences, use statistical common sense: [Ed. note: :wtc:]

(10a) Avoid concentrations of blacks not all known to you personally.

(10c) If planning a trip to a beach or amusement park at some date, find out whether it is likely to be swamped with blacks on that date (neglect of that one got me the closest I have ever gotten to death by gunshot).

Yeah, what with all those pistol-packing Blacks standing in line for Superman: Ride of Steel. :rolleyes:

quote:

(10f) Do not settle in a district or municipality run by black politicians.

Isn't the NR based in DC?

Go read the rest. Or don't, it's pretty awful.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Well, Mike Church is in fine form today. I'm only 45 minutes in and money quotes already include being glad there are no government offices open today because there won't be harassing phone calls from the IRS and the Equal Opportunity Employment people (that was a hell of a slip), "WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO RECOGNIZE LINCOLN?!?!?", a "it's cold in Feburary, GLOBAL WARMING huh libs?" rant, "what was the last bill a President passed that was actually Constitutional?", and the very best one, "the extremely dubious 15th Amendment".

The 15th Amendment posted:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
I love that crazy secessionist bastard.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Some stuff on Roger Ailes's sudden magical (rhetorical and only-on-the-surface) turnaround on Latinos that is in no way coincidental to the fact that 70% of Latinos voted for Obama. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8Zpq04ZK0

"Republicans have a lot more opportunity for Latinos." This after Roger has repeatedly claimed that Fox is a 'news' organization without bias. He's not even pretending to hide the fact that Fox is a propaganda arm of the GOP, heh.

Also:

A pig with massive pig jowels posted:

Ailes: “If I’m going to risk my life to run over the fence to get into America, I want to win. I think Fox News will articulate that.”

Yes, because nothing speaks more to an immigrant minority group than pandering to them with your ignorant racism in a 'positive' way.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Christmas posted:

Alpha 1 posted:

Yes

Wow. I wasn't privy to this during the campaign. This is pretty vile:

quote:

You want off-the-charts status? Check out the curriculum vitae of one Willard M. Romney: $200 million in the bank (and a hell of a lot more if he didn’t give so much away), apex alpha executive, CEO, chairman of the board, governor, bishop, boss of everything he’s ever touched. Son of the same, father of more. It is a curious scientific fact (explained in evolutionary biology by the Trivers-Willard hypothesis — Willard, notice) that high-status animals tend to have more male offspring than female offspring, which holds true across many species, from red deer to mink to Homo sap. The offspring of rich families are statistically biased in favor of sons — the children of the general population are 51 percent male and 49 percent female, but the children of the Forbes billionaire list are 60 percent male. Have a gander at that Romney family picture: five sons, zero daughters. Romney has 18 grandchildren, and they exceed a 2:1 ratio of grandsons to granddaughters (13:5). When they go to church at their summer-vacation home, the Romney clan makes up a third of the congregation. He is basically a tribal chieftain.

Professor Obama? Two daughters. May as well give the guy a cardigan. And fallopian tubes.

Yes, having a daughter is undesirable because they are an inferior sex. :rolleyes:

What is this, Saudi Arabia? gently caress you, national review. gently caress you and your overgrown trust fund frat boy writers.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
When I hear that Republicans want to take everyone back to "the fifties" I always assumed it was the 1950's, not the literal 50's.

Tribal chieftain. :jerkbag:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Carson

So, this guy keeps coming up more and more. I'm guessing he's going to be the next Steve Forbes/Ron Paul. Or even, dare I dream, the next Herman Cain.
I don't think we're going to be _that_ lucky, but apparently the religious ones seem to really like him.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Spacedad posted:

Check out the curriculum vitae of one Willard M. Romney: $200 million in the bank (and a hell of a lot more if he didn’t give so much away it wasn't advantageous thanks to all the charitable deduction loopholes in the tax code), apex alpha executive, CEO, chairman of the board, governor, bishoputerus sheriff, boss of everything he’s ever touchedbeen handed. Son of the same, father of more. It is a curious scientific fact (explained in evolutionary biology by the Trivers-Willard hypothesis — Willard, notice) that high-status animals tend to have more male offspring than female offspring, which holds true across many species, from red deer to mink to Homo sap. The offspring of rich families are statistically biased in favor of sons — the children of the general population are 51 percent male and 49 percent female, but the children of the Forbes billionaire list are 60 percent male. Have a gander at that Romney family picture: five sons, zero daughters.[biological determinism] Romney has 18 grandchildren, and they exceed a 2:1 ratio of grandsons to granddaughters (13:5). When they go to church at their summer-vacation home, the Romney clan makes up a third of the congregation. He is basically a tribal chieftain.[armchair anthropology.]

I can only imagine the homoerotic hazing rituals that go on in the NR office after hours.

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012
Speaking of National Review and women...

Michael Walsh posted:

Mario, while the repeal of the 19th Amendment might be something devoutly to be wished —

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

— you’re obviously thinking of the 18th Amendment, which was repealed by the 21st. Nevertheless, you’re on to something I’ve been advocating for years now. And that is the repeal of all four of the so-called “Progressive Era” amendments, including the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th, which were passed between 1911 and 1920.

The income-tax amendment was a self-evident attack on capitalism and led to the explosive growth of the federal government we currently enjoy today. (Without it, there’d be no need for a Balanced Budget Amendment.) Direct elections of senators has given us, among other wonders, the elevation of John F. Kerry to, now, secretary of state. Prohibition was directly responsible for the rise of organized crime and its unholy alliance with the big-city Democratic machines. And women’s suffrage . . . well, let’s just observe that without it Barack Obama could never have become president. Time for the ladies to take one for the team.

Who’s with me?
By Michael "Crush Them" Walsh.

For all their effort to disguise their racism, conservatives are fascinatingly open about their disdain for women (and democracy). Even "sophisticated" National Review becomes a firestorm of misogynistic hate whenever women's issues come up.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I do love how they always call him John F. Kerry. To make him sound like JFK. As a negative. (Yes, I'm aware of Kennedy's flaws - it's not those flaws they're talking about.)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I tried to watch O'reily tonight but the amount of stupidity was magnified by Adam Carolla ranting about how people who make minimum wage don't pay their "fair share" and shouldn't have kids. It was so infuriating I shut the TV off, his bullshit is against the regular :foxnews: demographic so why do they have him on there? I have a hard time fathoming that anyone would willingly listen to that guy, it can't be good for ratings.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DaveWoo posted:

Nah, this is what National Review had to say about Palin:

quote:

I’m sure I’m not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, “Hey, I think she just winked at me.” And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America.

Cheapsteaks posted:

Oh God. I think that means they find her moe.
So basically Palin's appeal was that of a real life anime character?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Azuth0667 posted:

I tried to watch O'reily tonight but the amount of stupidity was magnified by Adam Carolla ranting about how people who make minimum wage don't pay their "fair share" and shouldn't have kids. It was so infuriating I shut the TV off, his bullshit is against the regular :foxnews: demographic so why do they have him on there? I have a hard time fathoming that anyone would willingly listen to that guy, it can't be good for ratings.

I used to listen to Loveline when I was in middle/high school, and Adam Carolla didn't used to be like this. His podcast is just him using 4 or 5 canned rants about the most inane bullshit ever.

It's also pretty telling seeing how his entire career was based on a luck/chance meeting with Jimmy Kimmel back in the 90s. If it wasn't for all of the stars aligning, he'd still be a contractor. The lack of perspective is mind boggling.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Phone posted:

I used to listen to Loveline when I was in middle/high school, and Adam Carolla didn't used to be like this. His podcast is just him using 4 or 5 canned rants about the most inane bullshit ever.

It's also pretty telling seeing how his entire career was based on a luck/chance meeting with Jimmy Kimmel back in the 90s. If it wasn't for all of the stars aligning, he'd still be a contractor. The lack of perspective is mind boggling.

Adam Carolla has always been an annoying, self-involved schmuck. Just because he was getting paid pretending to know things about teenagers' love lives and not talking about how poor people are lazy doesn't mean he hasn't always been a fuckhead. Kimmel is terrible too and I don't get how he's gotten as far as he has in the business.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Adam Carolla has always been an annoying, self-involved schmuck. Just because he was getting paid pretending to know things about teenagers' love lives and not talking about how poor people are lazy doesn't mean he hasn't always been a fuckhead. Kimmel is terrible too and I don't get how he's gotten as far as he has in the business.
Being a creepy man child is a pretty good recipe for landing a late night talk show.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Phone posted:

I still remember hearing him for the first time in ten years or so in the office back when I was living in rural Washington. All my right-wing workmates were nodding and muttering "drat straight" as he talked about how it's disgraceful that we don't worship the rich like back in his day and that the Occupy movement was filled with spoiled pussy workshy manchildren. He might as well have been yelling "BOOTSTRAPS" over and over again. How he went from an irreverent co-host on one of the better shows on Comedy Central (at least to me when I was in middle school; I would probably hate it now) to a right wing pundit is baffling to me.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

So basically Palin's appeal was that of a real life anime character?

Namco releases iDOLM@STER DLC for their Democratic Election Simulator, co-developed by Paradox. I can't wait to see kawaii Biden-sama! :kimchi:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Wales Grey posted:

Namco releases iDOLM@STER DLC for their Democratic Election Simulator, co-developed by Paradox. I can't wait to see kawaii Biden-sama! :kimchi:

As always, the GOP will be out kawaii-ed by the Democrats.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Acrophyte posted:

I can only imagine the homoerotic hazing rituals that go on in the NR office after hours.

You have come to a world called NOR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45lXXiLbTxM

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I noticed something about Fox News pundit shows - the people they have on from the "democratic" side just act funny to me. Are these real democrats or just Fox News people/actors posing as democrats? Often it seems they are there to make Hannity/O'reilly/whoever's arguments look good and the other side look bad (ala Colmes).

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

CowOnCrack posted:

I noticed something about Fox News pundit shows - the people they have on from the "democratic" side just act funny to me. Are these real democrats or just Fox News people/actors posing as democrats? Often it seems they are there to make Hannity/O'reilly/whoever's arguments look good and the other side look bad (ala Colmes).

Sort of. Fox News democrats are usually odd looking, really extreme, really meek, or someone who was associated with a prominent democrat but is now disgraced and willing to parrot talking points.

The end goal is always to make the republican side look good

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

Good Citizen posted:

The end goal is always to make the republican side look good
Or, if they're not bonkers or meek, to eventually convert them into being republicans. See: Kirsten Powers (who also works at the NY Post)

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013
Anyone see Sean Hannity butthurt about how Obama is playing golf instead of helping the fifty million bajillion kazillion unemployed people find jobs?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

towelieban posted:

Anyone see Sean Hannity butthurt about how Obama is playing golf instead of helping the fifty million bajillion kazillion unemployed people find jobs?

I thought it wasn't the government's job to get involved with things like stimulating employment...

You know, Obama should continue his shift to the right. Before you know it, Fox News will practically be calling itself socialist for the sake of being contrarian. And then the Revolution can finally start :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

towelieban posted:

You mean any of Hannity's shows since Obama was elected in 2008? He's made a point of calling him the "golfer in chief", and spouts off about it pretty regularly.