Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ladron posted:

at around 830 last night, the propane tank for a restaurant exploded, starting the fire. the fire spread through the neighborhood, being continually fed by exploding propane tanks and electrical transformers. Some newspapers I read said 150 people injured, others said no one was injured.

So no deaths or anything right? Is that confirmed? I have a few friends right there but still haven't gotten a new phone, so short of facebook I don't have an easy way to contact them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

BrainDance posted:

So no deaths or anything right? Is that confirmed? I have a few friends right there but still haven't gotten a new phone, so short of facebook I don't have an easy way to contact them.

Latest news says 7 people injured, no one killed, which is pretty amazing considering the size of the fire and how quickly it spread.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

drat, that's crazy. Wonder if it was one of those deathtrap Korean War surplus kerosene heaters.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
I went to check the fire damage after work tonight. The cops have the area cordoned off, but the cops don't patrol the roofs.

Luckily it's a smaller area than I was expected, but as you can see that one cluster of buildings burned the gently caress down. Ironically, the current location of Jongno Tower (to the right) used to belong to a department store that burned down. My coworker told me apparently feng shui determines that this part of the city is prone to fires.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is Feng shui why the roofs are always blue?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Awesome picture dude. Thanks for posting :D

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Hi, I'm someone interested in getting into the English instruction in Korea game. Is the TESOL still a good option with public schools phasing out online degrees, or should I try a different program?

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Make sure your TESOL has at least some in class experience. I'm not sure of all provinces, but mine no longer gives credit for a TESOL program that has no classroom experience.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Maxsmart posted:

Make sure your TESOL has at least some in class experience. I'm not sure of all provinces, but mine no longer gives credit for a TESOL program that has no classroom experience.

By in-class, do you mean a live classroom with students, or just a course that isn't online-only? The cheapest option in my area for human-taught class is Oxford Seminars (http://www.oxfordseminars.com/tesol-tesl-tefl-course/citydates.php?city=Madison), but just looking at the course list I don't think it includes any actual teaching experience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's the online only ones that are starting to be rejected. You don't have to teach as far as I know, but it has to be done in person.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Please accept my submission for Worst/Most Ridiculous job posting in Korea.

Please enjoy.

All Nations Christian Academy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was going to challenge you, then I read it and realized no. You win. There is no worse job.

E: Oh wow the replies are even better. Mocking people for wanting to be paid a fair salary.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

DontAskKant posted:

Please enjoy.

Eh, glorified missionary position that pays. Certainly not something that I would want but I could see why it would be desirable for someone.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Missionary schools are basically pro bono work, but on the other hand they rarely attempt to screw you out of what little they promise. It's basically subsidized volunteer work, which is fine, for what it is.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DontAskKant posted:

Please enjoy.

As a Utahn native who has many friends who are/were missionaries (albiet mormon, so I don't know how it is in other denominations) this looks kinda scketchy. They don't seem too picky as far as denomination which is irregular and their website makes no effort to clarify which on they follow. Also that they farm you out to do normal hagwon duties to "help suppliment tuition to MKs students" screams that this school is expensive as poo poo. I'd really like to get a hold of my ol mormon buddies to see how non-legit this is.

As a normal person though, good god is that pay insulting. Almost as insulting as saying anyone who want's market price is trying to occupy wallstreet.

Edit: I should clarify that as far as missionary pay goes that is actually pretty ok. Mormon missionaries have to pitch in for their travel expense and get a redic low stripend for living. My main concern is that this is not a legit missionary school, but I don't have any sort of expertise on Korean Christian culture.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 19, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Except there are also glorified missionary positions at other hagwons that pay normal rates.

Not to mention that the school hasn't said anything about what their message or denomination is (even in their company website) or claimed to be a non-profit and posted credentials. At best this is a megachurch sort of for-profit set up and at worst it's a scam.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 19, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure that's the method people use in China to exploit missionaries. There's a private university just outside of my city and almost all the teachers there are missionaries. They make pretty lovely pay, I think around 3,000-4,000元 a month. The university probably tells them that's double the amount a local resident makes in a month, true, so it's more than acceptable, false. Chinese people seem to think any university job, especially one at a private university is amazing because you supposedly get paid every month you don't if you're Chinese so the locals probably treat them like they're super rich. All the foreign teachers there seem pretty Jonestown-esque in how crazy they are about their university's leader and his "vision" too. They make it out pretty rarely too because they're making US$500 a month and live an hour to 2 hours outside the city depending on the bus you take.

I don't really see how someone can use that scheme in Korea successfully. Christianity is not only visibly prevalent but wields a lot of power. At least in China Christianity is a pretty tightly controlled religion and doing anything related to it that doesn't come from the state churches gets Chinese people sent to a re-education through labor camp and foreigners deported. You can pretty easily use that to maximize your profit and have a work force that's afraid to speak out against exploitative practices. You can also make a Christian cult, which is always popular in China.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 19, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cults are super popular here too. I've never encountered so many before.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

At least in China Christianity is a pretty tightly controlled religion and doing anything related to it that doesn't come from the state churches gets Chinese people sent to a re-education through labor camp and foreigners deported.

Reeeeaaaaaaally?

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Cults are super popular here too. I've never encountered so many before.

Did someone say cults? "When light and light meet..."

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Whew, good. I thought we were about to start using this thread to discuss living and working in Korea again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Bible posted:

Whew, good. I thought we were about to start using this thread to discuss living and working in Korea again.

Why the gently caress would anyone want to talk about that?

Besides cult encounters totally count as living in Korea discussion.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

The Bible posted:

Ew.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Eh, glorified missionary position that pays. Certainly not something that I would want but I could see why it would be desirable for someone.

It's the labeling/category that bothers me. She put it in a jobs posting, not a volunteer site.

Awesome unpaid internship:
You will work 60 hours a week and handle PR for clients and do editing for senior staff. $400 stipend a month no benefits, must be enrolled at a university for college credit.

lovely job:
You will work 60 hours a week and handle PR for clients and do editing for senior staff. Pay is $400 a month, no benefits.

Calling the programs where you pay $7000 for the privilege to teach for a year in Chile on a $150 stipend, an ESL job, is disingenuous. Calling it Christian missionary/volunteer work is more accurate. Keep those kinds of things off the job sites.

Not the right place for it, but feel free to ask me some other time about the general gross inefficiency of non specialized missionary and overseas volunteer work. Do not do this while I've been drinking, or do, it will be more fun.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
Why would anyone want to talk about contracts and classrooms when we can talk about evil cults deceiving thousands of foreigners and massive fires destroying cool parts of the city?

On that topic, I managed to get the edited pictures up from last night's foray to Insadong's rooftops.
http://www.daehanmindecline.com/2013/20130218.html

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Those are some pretty good photos. Korea looks nice from a distance.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Grand Fromage posted:

It's the online only ones that are starting to be rejected. You don't have to teach as far as I know, but it has to be done in person.

I looked into it more, it seems the more desirable locations for EPIK want it to be in front of students if possible. They are trying to get people with some classroom experience now. My province is the same, though rural. Basically, time in front of students will help you get a public job, which are getting increasingly difficult to secure. I held a teaching license in ESL, and had a TESOL license, and I was still rejected by EPIK.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's cool. I'm glad I got in before it, but having some actual standards for future teachers is a good thing.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

"In accordance with the Korean Labor Standards Act article 5, the employer must not discriminate against workers by nationality, religion, social status or gender."

Is that an actual thing? I understand that there are some things that are in the rules and just ignored in practice, but I didn't even know there were anti-discrimination articles in the rule books. Can't quickly confirm it by Google search, so maybe someone can chime in before I look into it more in depth.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep. Korea has basically the same anti-discrimination laws as the US, they're just ignored and rarely enforced.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DontAskKant posted:

"In accordance with the Korean Labor Standards Act article 5, the employer must not discriminate against workers by nationality, religion, social status or gender."

Is that an actual thing? I understand that there are some things that are in the rules and just ignored in practice, but I didn't even know there were anti-discrimination articles in the rule books.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, the trick is schools who ask for a face photo. MY GIRLFRIEND got rejected outright from a few places that she sent a face photo to. She knows those jobs were racistish, hell errybody knows there is a racist undercurrent here, but good luck ever proving that. Now Im off to be certified with ESL, TESOL, and Sogang language training to make up for the fact I'm brown.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Maxsmart posted:

I looked into it more, it seems the more desirable locations for EPIK want it to be in front of students if possible. They are trying to get people with some classroom experience now. My province is the same, though rural. Basically, time in front of students will help you get a public job, which are getting increasingly difficult to secure. I held a teaching license in ESL, and had a TESOL license, and I was still rejected by EPIK.

Would it still be possible to get a job without the certification in front of a classroom, then? I wouldn't want to spend the cash for a certification only to find out that it's worthless, but the CELTA teaching centers in the US are all far away from me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's still possible, it's just tougher than it used to be. Korea has a lot more people applying than there were before and they can afford to be pickier. It's not a requirement yet, so apply whether you get the certification or not.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, the trick is schools who ask for a face photo. MY GIRLFRIEND got rejected outright from a few places that she sent a face photo to. She knows those jobs were racistish, hell errybody knows there is a racist undercurrent here, but good luck ever proving that.
I understand that trick, what still bewilders me are the schools that post "American white Christian female in late 20s" or any mixture of those. You can't really say 'preferred' but even that is at least attempting to hide it. My favorites are the ones that demand membership in a specific church.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, the trick is schools who ask for a face photo. MY GIRLFRIEND got rejected outright from a few places that she sent a face photo to. She knows those jobs were racistish, hell errybody knows there is a racist undercurrent here, but good luck ever proving that. Now Im off to be certified with ESL, TESOL, and Sogang language training to make up for the fact I'm brown.

My old hagwon gave Themata poo poo at least partly because she wasn't white.

Here's the kicker though, my old hagwon had teachers do the interviews for new hires. Around my 11th month they had me interview 4 candidates for a job. This is already a terrible decision because the only thing relevant to a hagwon that I am utterly, woefully abysmal at it is interviews and giving them is even worse than having one. That said, there were four candidates:

A: TESOL, no work experience teaching or otherwise, no travel, sounded high strung.

B: No TESOL, no relevant work experience, Church experience, rampant typos in resume, OK interview.

C: In class TESOL, coaching, clerical experience, extensive travel, good interview.

D: Took another job.

So naturally I recommend C. However, she's a black South African. My director says they can't hire her because she's black. They ask me to recommend someone else. Naturally I said no. There were a tense couple of days and then they hired her. I hope she's still doing alright over there. If they weren't already two foreigners down I probably would have been given some poo poo.

So yeah, if you aren't white you really are at a serious disadvantage, at least for hagwons and after-schools.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

DontAskKant posted:

I understand that trick, what still bewilders me are the schools that post "American white Christian female in late 20s" or any mixture of those. You can't really say 'preferred' but even that is at least attempting to hide it. My favorites are the ones that demand membership in a specific church.

My guess is that these laws only apply to public schools. From my experience, the public schools don't discriminate. People of all ages and races in Chungnam.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

No, the law is for all employers. It's just that no one cares. Public schools are definitely the best choice for anyone who ain't white (and thus ain't right), they're pretty colorblind in hiring.

Not that you can't get a hagwon job, I know plenty of people who do. But it is tougher than public.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Not that you can't get a hagwon job, I know plenty of people who do. But it is tougher than public.

It's posible, but you can bet you're going to be put lower in the pile than the white or gyopo candidate, even if you might be a lot better. There are good hagwons with upright owners. there are also cats who know how to flush the toilet. How many is the question.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I know it's the best airport in the world and all, but I'd still like to leave at some point.

Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

joedevola posted:

I know it's the best airport in the world and all, but I'd still like to leave at some point.

Jesus.

The only thing stopping you is your willingness to spend 40,000 on a bus to Jeonju.

• Locked thread