Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hewerman
Jun 5, 2008

Shame Boner posted:

I quit the Friday before last, for better or worse. Things had just gotten so toxic at my old position that I just cleaned up my work computer, turned it in, and resigned on the spot. Probably not the best decision considering I didn't have anything lined up, but I have some savings and now a lot of free time to look for a new job.

One big issue is that all the major projects I've worked on in the last few years have been canned. How does someone in my position build a portfolio?

What's your discipline? You could always build something on your own while you're looking. Even if you just re-create something thats already been done before, at least you could show your style and such.

Also, I know that if I ever left my current company, I wouldn't be able to show any code or anything from those projects. I imagine a lot of places have similar agreements in place. Just talk about the work you did do, and hopefully you never even have to mention the project was canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 18, 2013

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

I feel kinda dumb not realizing I could just take a screen shot from word until now.

The same resume minus the most recent internship got me an internship, and yet it's been a week since I sent out emails with this and haven't gotten a single email back from anyone, which is odd since I've spoken to all of these contacts in person and gotten their personal emails.

Bad luck or is something blindingly bad?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

2banks1swap.avi posted:

The main problem I have with it is that your average SA post has much better attention to detail than your resume. Let's start with the typos.

• "Proficient in Java and C# Programming" and "Basic proficiency with C programming" capitalize the word "programming" differently. The first one is the wrong one, going by your style on the other items in the Skills and Qualifications section. The word "programming" itself is redundant.
  • ASP.NET should be capitalized.
  • There is no such thing as "MSSQL". There's "Microsoft SQL Server" or "SQL Server" or "SQL Server 2012" or "T-SQL" but there is nothing called "MSSQL".
  • "Experience" should be lower-case in "MSSQL Experience".
  • It's ".NET".
  • "Self starting" is typically hyphenated.
  • "Related Experience" should be "Relevant Experience".
  • "Software Developer intern" should have "intern" be capitalized or "Developer" be lower-cased.
  • The paragraph "Developed a SQL database..." is something bad. Don't use "as well as" twice in the same sentence.
  • "Tutored Students" should be "Tutored students".
  • "pseudo code" should be "pseudo-code" or "pseudocode" (I'd go with the former, if Firefox spell-check is to be believed.)
  • Also, "pseudo code and C programming, algebra, calculus, and a variety of sciences" has two "ands" connecting the same list. There should be only one. And then you threw down another "as well as".
  • The n dash after "System Software" needs a space before it.
  • You inconsistently capitalize the names of courses. "C programming" has the word "programming" uncapitalized, and "concepts" is uncapitalized on the line below.
  • Don't capitalize "abstract classes" or "interfaces".

Other than that, I think there's unnecessary description of courses (I don't think anybody needs a description of what a data structures or C programming course teaches you), some bullshit items on Skills and Qualifications that I'd remove or replace (namely, "Excellent written and verbal communication" and "Strong OOP mindset..."), and a lot of unnecessary verbiage like where you say "Basic proficiency with C programming" instead of "Basic proficiency with C." I'd also rephrase anything that uses the words "basic" or "proficiency," and it's probably a good idea to at least consider alternate phrasings of anything with a conjugation of the verb "to be."

shrughes fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 19, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Rurutia posted:

I posted this earlier, but we've made some changes and we're still concerned with how strong of a candidate he comes across. He's doing very well at his current job (they're looking into getting him another promotion), additionally his previous job was very much just being a code monkey, so he's not sure how to put that into a positive light. Is there an attribute frequently looked for that he's not talking about on his resume? I don't understand the field enough to really help, so any perspective/advice would be appreciated. (This is deidentified, all names of companies/products/projects/people and locations are fake.)

He uses the wrong kind of bullets in the first Development section.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Am I the only person who is sick and tired of mountains of bullet points in CVs? They're nicer when you have a larger body of text and want to emphasise a list, but when you just have mountains of lists, they add nothing.

Pretty much every bullet point could be removed and nothing would be lost. :argh:

Edit; The L e t t e r s p a c i n g in the titles looks awful. Don't do that. The headings and text seem to be bolded and italiced and underline with no real rhythm between them. For ex: Spaced all caps -> Unspaced All Caps with bold, underline, to either bold, regular, or bold italic. The company name is a title followed by an italic indented block, then followed by a bold subheading at the same weight, with a bullet pointed block.

While I am at it, I would really like it if the CVs I saw were less like a fountain of bulletpoints, outlines and indents. If you're not going to give me an ascii plain text cv, please put some effort in to the layout. TeX makes excellent typography possible, but the templates you find on the first page of google all look terrible.

tef fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 19, 2013

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I feel kinda dumb not realizing I could just take a screen shot from word until now.

The same resume minus the most recent internship got me an internship, and yet it's been a week since I sent out emails with this and haven't gotten a single email back from anyone, which is odd since I've spoken to all of these contacts in person and gotten their personal emails.

Whenever I see "proficient in X", I think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCbf4DjlHuM&t=61s
Try to find a more meaningful way of describing what you can do. I've seen complete incompetents and real experts who would both describe themselves as "proficient". It's a meaningless term unless you already know something about the person saying it.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

tef posted:

While I am at it, I would really like it if the CVs I saw were less like a fountain of bulletpoints, outlines and indents.

As a quick experiment, here is some of the content, with the same sort of structure, formatted differently

original

alternatives i knocked up in pages

These are quite rough and not that nice, but hopefully i'm demonstrating you can play with a grid and see what happens, rather than mountains of indents. I only just found out you can put tables in Pages documents

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Rurutia, that ornate italic is a pain to read and using it for complete sentences (ie significant info that should be read) is even worse. I'd suggest chucking it or, if absolutely necessary, a "slant italic" font like the one in the headings is preferable to one that alters the letter forms.

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

Milotic posted:

Courses taken is very handy for me as an interviewer as it gives me a chance to ask you about stuff you should know, rather than having to guess. Nothing worse than seeing a CV with no classes on for someone fresh out of or at uni.

Agree. I like classes (as an interviewer).

I also especially like the elective computer science classes.

I don't particularly care that you took CS1. Everyone takes CS1. And CS2. But I do like seeing that you took a database class, or a human design interaction class - etc. At least for my school - those were the things that let you differentiate yourself somewhat.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

tef posted:

TeX makes excellent typography possible, but the templates you find on the first page of google all look terrible.

This is actually depressing. Formatting was the last thing I was expecting the resume to get criticized for because it's the only thing we didn't change from the resume we bought from Duvet. Also, this is in word, not latex. I'm not sure if we should switch over to latex? My CV is done in Latex but I think this would be harder to port over completely. Neither of us have pages. Honestly, I wasn't even thinking about formatting with his CV because, clearly, both of us have 0 design instinct or taste.

tef posted:

bullets

Should I be just removing bullets from the Tech Skills portion and the Italicized portion? I'm not sure how to fit the whole thing in one page without it looking like a huge blob of text otherwise.

I'm also having issue trying to think of how else to emphasize that italicized portion. I agree though, it's hard to read and I'm not a huge fan.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
You're overthinking the layout and formatting (and so is tef, who I think is being a bad poster). What matters is that the resume be reasonably scannable and that the content be useful and concise, and that there be no inconsistencies that are a sign of poor attention to detail. The resume that you (Rurutia) posted seems relatively fine when it comes to formatting.

One main thing I would do differently (and maybe this is just my style) is to drop all trivial technologies from the list (like XML, GDB, Valgrind, NAnt, JUnit, all the AWS services, and more) and separate C and C++ instead of writing them as C/C++. Sometimes I mention specific technologies (like the use of AWS for something) when describing what I did at my job.

I'd also edit every sentence in that resume to be as concise as possible. For example, you could replace "England, Canada, Sweden, and the United States" with "North America and Europe." Of course, you could drop the list of countries altogether in that sentence.

And I wouldn't say things like "the Interaction service" when the reader has no clue what that could possibly mean. (LexisNexis Interaction was the only thing I could imagine it being.)

Nobody cares that he mentored developers both on his team and outside his team. "Mentored junior developers" could be a line.

I could go in more detail in specific sentences but that's too high-effort since I can't copy/paste anything because for some reason you've inexplicably decided to post an image.

Edit: My general opinion of this developer is that I wouldn't bother interviewing him because he probably wouldn't pass the phone screen. He seems like a typical developer-with-big-list-of-technologies and a strange emphasis on all the process he's undergone instead of the problems he's solved and the code he's written. The fact that he'd say he improved the performance of something by 14% is a horrible sign, to me. Why would you bother going through such development effort for such a small gain, on the server side? As far as I know, he spent half his time working on that, and the other half getting some bullshit patent (and mentioning that on the resume, as if getting a patent was any more impressive than having used XML, is a sign that he has his head in the sky when it comes to finding value-add). There is such a strong emphasis on vague people-skills stuff. I presume he's not targeting some management position with this, since he starts off with a list of irrelevant technologies.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 19, 2013

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Being from the UK, ive always had my cv on two pages. Recently though someone mentioned to me that for a technical cv, more people are leaning towards the american style one page. Can anyone confirm that this is a trend or is it down to personal preference.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

shrughes posted:

I could go in more detail in specific sentences but that's too high-effort since I can't copy/paste anything because for some reason you've inexplicably decided to post an image.

Thanks for the criticism and prespective, it's really appreciated (and the edit was exactly what I was looking for). I'll have to talk to him about most of it first because it is largely over my head. Just to address the image, I had originally posted it in docx and pdf. It got no responses and I saw a lot of people posting images getting responses, ergo posting it as an image might help. But of course, I forgot to link the docx and pdf again. So here it is, if that makes a difference: (both are dropbox links) docx and pdf

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 19, 2013

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

shrughes posted:

separate C and C++ instead of writing them as C/C++
This is a really minor and dumb thing, but potentially pretty important. People who actually know both C and C++ tend to view "C/C++" along the same lines as "Java/Javascript"

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Rurutia posted:

Thanks for the criticism and prespective, it's really appreciated (and the edit was exactly what I was looking for). I'll have to talk to him about most of it first because it is largely over my head. Just to address the image, I had originally posted it in docx and pdf. It got no responses and I saw a lot of people posting images getting responses, ergo posting it as an image might help. But of course, I forgot to link the docx and pdf again. So here it is, if that makes a difference: (both are dropbox links) docx and pdf

You have to note that I'm a bit of a sperg, and my boss is a bit of a sperg, and my previous bosses were half-spergy too. Maybe there is somebody who actually likes big lists of acronyms. An HR department, perhaps, and other nests of ick. And of course, please remind the resume person that this is my impression of him based on his resume and not my impression of him :)

I actually like the term "C/C++" but yeah I recommmended splitting that for the people who get butthurt about it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

shrughes posted:

You have to note that I'm a bit of a sperg, and my boss is a bit of a sperg, and my previous bosses were half-spergy too. Maybe there is somebody who actually likes big lists of acronyms. An HR department, perhaps, and other nests of ick. And of course, please remind the resume person that this is my impression of him based on his resume and not my impression of him :)

I actually like the term "C/C++" but yeah I recommmended splitting that for the people who get butthurt about it.

He's a bit of a sperg too and honestly I think this resume is his way of trying to cater to what he thinks HR/management wants to see. Anyways, when I showed it to him he just said: "Well, that's a pretty brutal response." But I think he largely agrees with you so he's working on it now. :) No good comes of being coddled.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

shrughes posted:

The fact that he'd say he improved the performance of something by 14% is a horrible sign, to me. Why would you bother going through such development effort for such a small gain, on the server side?

There are plenty of places at large scale where a 14% performance improvement isn't just worthwhile, it's huge, and on a critical path where the low hanging optimization fruit has already been picked it can be quite impressive. "Tell me more about this" would be a likely interview question.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Karanth posted:

There are plenty of places at large scale where a 14% performance improvement isn't just worthwhile, it's huge, and on a critical path where the low hanging optimization fruit has already been picked it can be quite impressive. "Tell me more about this" would be a likely interview question.

This is actually the case here. As far as I'm aware, doing this got him a promotion. But I think the takeaway from shrughes' post is that it really doesn't come across.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 19, 2013

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

This is a really minor and dumb thing, but potentially pretty important. People who actually know both C and C++ tend to view "C/C++" along the same lines as "Java/Javascript"

At Apple I worked with a guy who would routinely ask people who did that in-depth questions about the differences between C and C++ out of spite. He was kind of a dick.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
I have some questions for you fine folks, now that I'm starting to get phone interviews. Quick background: I've had 2 phone interviews so far, one with Energy Enterprise Solutions and another with Aerotek Engineering; I have 2 more scheduled within a week for Intuit and Cerner. Intuit is the one I'm the most excited for, by far, but I'm still curious about the others.

So Aerotek Engineering is apparently a staffing agency of some sort - they pulled my resume from careerbuilder and called me themselves. I'm a bit wary of this kind of position [and confident enough in my other pursuits to be willing to drop it], but I'm still happy to humor the opportunity. Have any of you been accepted for this sort of position and gotten success out of it? I'm under the impression that this would be temp work, but some people get job offers from their placements when their contracts end; is that at all common?

So far my phone interviews have been mostly casual - and it seemed to me that the HR staff were mostly concerned about specific technologies. Going into these should I just be ready to basically list off what I've worked with [and what's already on my resume]? Are there any specific questions I should be asking, either about the work or the company? While this is probably all common-sense stuff I should already know, I'm still quite new to it, and really want to put my best foot forward for the Intuit interview.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

pr0zac posted:

At Apple I worked with a guy who would routinely ask people who did that in-depth questions about the differences between C and C++ out of spite. He was kind of a dick.

If you don't know them both, then why would you list "C/C++" instead of just one of them? Wouldn't questions about their differences also be appropriate for resumes that list "C and C++" instead?

If I list "Java, C#, Javascript, and Python" on my resume, I wouldn't feel like someone's being a dick when they ask me how I'd implement private class members in each one.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Safe and Secure! posted:

If you don't know them both, then why would you list "C/C++" instead of just one of them? Wouldn't questions about their differences also be appropriate for resumes that list "C and C++" instead?

If I list "Java, C#, Javascript, and Python" on my resume, I wouldn't feel like someone's being a dick when they ask me how I'd implement private class members in each one.

I think the idea is that someone who lumps C and C++ together like that is more likely to be someone that isn't aware of as many of the ways in which C and C++ are different than someone who lists them separately (like, perhaps people who know C++ and think that because they know C++ they also know C). I haven't seen many if any resumes that lump together C and Objective C like that, even though that's arguably less unreasonable because (afaik) Objective C is an actual superset of C, and C++ isn't.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
That's mostly because "C/Objective C" is awkward.

And I'd recommend finding a way to make that 14% number more useful. Like, 14% which saved the company $7 million. Or something like that. 14% measured in widgets is much different from 14% measured in CPU time. It was rather unclear.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I wasn't getting any interviews at a company I was applying for earlier this month so I asked my friend, who used to work there, if he could forward my resume to someone. The thing is, I'm looking for an internship but the recruiter that I was referred to is looking for a FT. I don't want to screw my friend over for helping me out but 2 other groups (who I wasn't referred to) in the company suddenly e-mailed me about interviews for an internship. How do I deal with this?

Also for the internship, the first team wants to do a 30 minute phone interview but didn't specify it was technical. For the job my friend referred me to, they specified a 45 minute technical interview alongside Colabedit. Is the internship interview also a technical one?

Thanks for reading all that.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 19, 2013

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Sarcophallus posted:

So Aerotek Engineering is apparently a staffing agency of some sort - they pulled my resume from careerbuilder and called me themselves. I'm a bit wary of this kind of position [and confident enough in my other pursuits to be willing to drop it], but I'm still happy to humor the opportunity. Have any of you been accepted for this sort of position and gotten success out of it? I'm under the impression that this would be temp work, but some people get job offers from their placements when their contracts end; is that at all common?

My first job out of college actually went through Aerotek. They're a pretty typical, large, nationwide recruiting firm. Basically everything depends on the client company and the specifics of the position. Generally, Aerotek works for some client company--they find and screen you, and then send you on an interview at the client company. If you get hired, you get paid by Aerotek and Aerotek gets paid by the company. Usually they get a margin of 20-40% of your salary (but they're also on the hook for benefits/etc).

There will usually be some term of contract (usually a couple months to a year). After that it kind of depends on the position, the contract might just be over, or you might have the opportunity to get hired permanently on at the client. Usually you know--it'll be described as temp, perm, or temp-to-perm. Don't discount temp positions though--projects often get extended or renewed. The only thing that sucks is when that turns into a multi-year thing. Temp-to-perm is pretty common though, and is benefits the client because it makes it easy for them to get rid of who don't work out--they just don't renew the contract.

The one thing you want to avoid (and I don't know if Aerotek does this) is shady recruiters who aren't working for a client, but are just trying to combine job listings they find on Monster/craigslist/wherever with job seekers they find in the same places. In that case nobody wants to pay them some huge fee for doing nothing and they just end up being a giant problem.

Anyway if you get a decent recruiter they can be a pretty good asset, since it's in their interest to get that position filled, and they usually have an ongoing relationship with their clients and know a little bit about what they are looking for. On the other hand, they're usually HR types and can be a little clueless about technology, so most of their screening process is seeing how many keywords in the job description that you have in your resume.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

shrughes posted:

That's mostly because "C/Objective C" is awkward.

And I'd recommend finding a way to make that 14% number more useful. Like, 14% which saved the company $7 million. Or something like that. 14% measured in widgets is much different from 14% measured in CPU time. It was rather unclear.

Should I just bullshit those numbers if I don't have them? None of my work really is measured in any quantifiable way.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

evensevenone posted:

My first job out of college actually went through Aerotek. They're a pretty typical, large, nationwide recruiting firm. Basically everything depends on the client company and the specifics of the position. Generally, Aerotek works for some client company--they find and screen you, and then send you on an interview at the client company. If you get hired, you get paid by Aerotek and Aerotek gets paid by the company. Usually they get a margin of 20-40% of your salary (but they're also on the hook for benefits/etc).

There will usually be some term of contract (usually a couple months to a year). After that it kind of depends on the position, the contract might just be over, or you might have the opportunity to get hired permanently on at the client. Usually you know--it'll be described as temp, perm, or temp-to-perm. Don't discount temp positions though--projects often get extended or renewed. The only thing that sucks is when that turns into a multi-year thing. Temp-to-perm is pretty common though, and is benefits the client because it makes it easy for them to get rid of who don't work out--they just don't renew the contract.

The one thing you want to avoid (and I don't know if Aerotek does this) is shady recruiters who aren't working for a client, but are just trying to combine job listings they find on Monster/craigslist/wherever with job seekers they find in the same places. In that case nobody wants to pay them some huge fee for doing nothing and they just end up being a giant problem.

Anyway if you get a decent recruiter they can be a pretty good asset, since it's in their interest to get that position filled, and they usually have an ongoing relationship with their clients and know a little bit about what they are looking for. On the other hand, they're usually HR types and can be a little clueless about technology, so most of their screening process is seeing how many keywords in the job description that you have in your resume.

This is quite informative, thank you! With regard to the salary: do you know if you still get a competitive wage after their margin or would you expect to see roughly 70% of the median salary?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

20% seems a bit ridiculous, why is it that AeroTek is doing the actual hiring vs the "client company?" Aren't you essentially consulting at a lower rate?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Strong Sauce posted:

20% seems a bit ridiculous, why is it that AeroTek is doing the actual hiring vs the "client company?" Aren't you essentially consulting at a lower rate?

I can see the appeal of it, from a business sense. Aerotek is adding value to their 'employees' by effectively networking for them, and to "clients" by making hiring less tedious.

With regard to the rate, I imagine they can negotiate a higher base salary because they effectively take payroll taxes and benefits off the table; those combined could easily save more money than is lost by the 20-40% margin.
If they're not capitalizing on that and only asking the median 65k salary or what have you, then it's a pretty horrible deal for everyone but the client business.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Sarcophallus posted:

This is quite informative, thank you! With regard to the salary: do you know if you still get a competitive wage after their margin or would you expect to see roughly 70% of the median salary?

Your wage should be competitive. Their margin should be on top (and invisible to you). If it isn't something is wrong.

The benefit to the employers is less acquisition cost. Payroll taxes and other overhead are covered by the contractor. The rest is finders fee which I guess is worth it if it saves the time of several highly paid managers.

I mean the company I ended up with billed its customers at 200-300% of salary. So in that context it actually made them money I think.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Safe and Secure! posted:

Also be sure to target your language list to the company - you get serious points down for listing java as programming language if someone's looking for a C++ developer.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Aerotek pays also pays weekly, which often means that they pay you a good month before they get paid.

Worry about whether you're getting a reasonable wage, not whether or not the company you're working for is getting ripped off.

Steve French posted:

I haven't seen many if any resumes that lump together C and Objective C like that, even though that's arguably less unreasonable because (afaik) Objective C is an actual superset of C, and C++ isn't.
Normal Objective-C is a lot less like C than normal C++ is like C, but since the Smalltalk portion of the language is so badly integrated with the C part I find myself having to write regular C in Obj-C projects fairly often, while that basically never happens in C++ projects.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

shrughes posted:

The main problem I have with it is that your average SA post has much better attention to detail than your resume. Let's start with the typos.

• "Proficient in Java and C# Programming" and "Basic proficiency with C programming" capitalize the word "programming" differently. The first one is the wrong one, going by your style on the other items in the Skills and Qualifications section. The word "programming" itself is redundant.
  • ASP.NET should be capitalized.
  • There is no such thing as "MSSQL". There's "Microsoft SQL Server" or "SQL Server" or "SQL Server 2012" or "T-SQL" but there is nothing called "MSSQL".
  • "Experience" should be lower-case in "MSSQL Experience".
  • It's ".NET".
  • "Self starting" is typically hyphenated.
  • "Related Experience" should be "Relevant Experience".
  • "Software Developer intern" should have "intern" be capitalized or "Developer" be lower-cased.
  • The paragraph "Developed a SQL database..." is something bad. Don't use "as well as" twice in the same sentence.
  • "Tutored Students" should be "Tutored students".
  • "pseudo code" should be "pseudo-code" or "pseudocode" (I'd go with the former, if Firefox spell-check is to be believed.)
  • Also, "pseudo code and C programming, algebra, calculus, and a variety of sciences" has two "ands" connecting the same list. There should be only one. And then you threw down another "as well as".
  • The n dash after "System Software" needs a space before it.
  • You inconsistently capitalize the names of courses. "C programming" has the word "programming" uncapitalized, and "concepts" is uncapitalized on the line below.
  • Don't capitalize "abstract classes" or "interfaces".

Other than that, I think there's unnecessary description of courses (I don't think anybody needs a description of what a data structures or C programming course teaches you), some bullshit items on Skills and Qualifications that I'd remove or replace (namely, "Excellent written and verbal communication" and "Strong OOP mindset..."), and a lot of unnecessary verbiage like where you say "Basic proficiency with C programming" instead of "Basic proficiency with C." I'd also rephrase anything that uses the words "basic" or "proficiency," and it's probably a good idea to at least consider alternate phrasings of anything with a conjugation of the verb "to be."

Thanks for the thorough critique. I'm gonna try something a lot less wordy:

Obviously the top is a lot fuller without me blanking out my personal info, but it still looks a bit barren. Is that fine for a entry level resume?

I should get some projects of mine to put on there.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

When you're contracting, you should be getting a little more than you would if you were salaried if you're not getting any benefits because you'll be expected to cover those costs out of pocket or at least that's how a few different recruiting companies explained it to me.

Strong Sauce posted:

It's easier to let someone go if they're contracted through an outside recruiting company. They're technically not getting fired at all, they just don't have a placement. It also cuts costs for the company, they don't need such a large HR department.

If you can, avoid contract to hire. It's awful working for a couple of months, not knowing if you're going to get hired in or not.

Oh, and to update my status from a page or two back, I just got offered a full time position today.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Thanks for the thorough critique. I'm gonna try something a lot less wordy:

Obviously the top is a lot fuller without me blanking out my personal info, but it still looks a bit barren. Is that fine for a entry level resume?

I should get some projects of mine to put on there.
This looks really bland. Obviously you don't want to go overboard with ornamentation or formatting, but this seriously just looks like :effort: It's really not that horrible, and I've seen far worse, but you could do easily do better.

I'd make the font for section or sub-section titles stand out more (size and/or font change), use more indentation, and restructure the Skills and Coursework sections so that you don't have that awkward space at the right.

edit: if you let us see the personal info section (but replaced with fake info) it'd also be easier to judge the overall appearance.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 20, 2013

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

It's easier to let someone go if they're contracted through an outside recruiting company. They're technically not getting fired at all, they just don't have a placement. It also cuts costs for the company, they don't need such a large HR department.

If you can, avoid contract to hire. It's awful working for a couple of months, not knowing if you're going to get hired in or not.

Contract to hire isn't necessarily bad if you know the hire percentage. My job used to almost exclusively hire contractors. It was how they did trial periods.

But yeah without that knowledge I'd be worried too...

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Cicero posted:

This looks really bland. Obviously you don't want to go overboard with ornamentation or formatting, but this seriously just looks like :effort: It's really not that horrible, and I've seen far worse, but you could do easily do better.

I'd make the font for section or sub-section titles stand out more (size and/or font change), use more indentation, and restructure the Skills and Coursework sections so that you don't have that awkward space at the right.

edit: if you let us see the personal info section (but replaced with fake info) it'd also be easier to judge the overall appearance.

I was experimenting with minimalism - I'll play with more interesting fonts and throw in some personal stuff later today. Two columns side by side, one for skills and one for coursework, would probably work better.

I'll also put up Twobanks Oneswap's contact information to help give more outline of the structure.

TY for the additional feedback.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
I have limited experience in interviewing, so I'm wondering this: how much different in terms of difficulty is a company's (~1hr) technical phone interview and in-person interview? I had a phone interview today that I think went pretty well, and honestly I was expecting something much harder since I've heard this company only does recruiting at top 5 colleges and is somewhat algorithms-heavy.

The questions were a couple easy "problem -> describe a solution" type ones, and two coding tests (one easy recursive tree algorithm, another one easily solved with hash tables). Is their 4-5hr in-person interview more likely to have similar difficulty, but longer/larger breadth problems, or straight up more difficult ones?

I'm actually more nervous now that I'm doing well in their process (after completing their code test and phone interview) :ohdear: (or maybe it's just that working while interviewing makes each interview worth a lot more)

Pie Colony fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pie Colony posted:

I have limited experience in interviewing, so I'm wondering this: how much different in terms of difficulty is a company's (~1hr) technical phone interview and in-person interview? I had a phone interview today that I think went pretty well, and honestly I was expecting something much harder since I've heard this company only does recruiting at top 5 colleges and is somewhat algorithms-heavy.

The questions were a couple easy "problem -> describe a solution" type ones, and two coding tests (one easy recursive tree algorithm, another one easily solved with hash tables). Is their 4-5hr in-person interview more likely to have similar difficulty, but longer/larger breadth problems, or straight up more difficult ones?

I'm actually more nervous now that I'm doing well in their process (after completing their code test and phone interview) :ohdear:

It depends on the company. I would expect both more difficult and more technically in-depth problems though.

I recall recently I interviewed at a place, had a great general phone screen, and I get there and all everyone wants to talk about is Spring (not on my resume, not on job description). At the in-person there were no technical challenges, just general philosophy. So it can be random too.