Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

a lovely poster posted:

Honestly it's a pretty good time and there are much worse ways to spend time than throwing out pizzas for 5-10 hours a week.

Agreed entirely. Up until last year, I'd only ever worked in pizza shops of various professionalism and cleanliness. Started at a lovely greasy joint, ended up at a clean efficient pizza kitchen at a big supermarket.

It's a dirty and smelly job, but rolling out dozens of pizza shells one after another as fast as you possibly can is a good way to learn the skill. It's also usually laid back as hell; my first pizza shop job we swapped beers on Christmas Eve and smoked weed out of an apple in the supply room pretty much weekly. And with the turnover rate most pizza shops have, you really could just walk out the day you felt you'd gotten your education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Anybody have tips on freezing and storing their dough? I've been slightly flattening the dough (approximately 1" thick) then covering in flour and wrapping in wax paper before freezing. It works OK but occasionally the dough will stick to the paper and I end up losing chunks. Anybody have a better method?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

lifts cats over head posted:

Anybody have tips on freezing and storing their dough? I've been slightly flattening the dough (approximately 1" thick) then covering in flour and wrapping in wax paper before freezing. It works OK but occasionally the dough will stick to the paper and I end up losing chunks. Anybody have a better method?

When I froze my dough the last time, I just made sure it was slightly oily, then wrapped it in saran wrap. They thawed a lot quicker than I would have thought, didn't have any issues unwrapping the dough and as far as I could tell no ill effects from being frozen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm looking to get my mother a pizza stone for her birthday. Any recommendations? The site with the Fibrament stones linked to earlier doesn't seem to be working any more.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Use what real men use! Get the 1/4" one though as the 1/2" one is too heavy. Granted, the 1/4" one is still 15 lbs, so if your mother isn't very strong, I guess I have nothing to recommend.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Jedit posted:

I'm looking to get my mother a pizza stone for her birthday. Any recommendations? The site with the Fibrament stones linked to earlier doesn't seem to be working any more.

Their site seems alright as far as I can tell? - http://www.bakingstone.com/

Bought one about 4 years ago, it's still holding up fine despite spilling cheese and sauce on it several times like an idiot.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

The Midniter posted:

Use what real men use! Get the 1/4" one though as the 1/2" one is too heavy. Granted, the 1/4" one is still 15 lbs, so if your mother isn't very strong, I guess I have nothing to recommend.

Wow, I really did not need to see that.. dammit I should not have followed that link. I better get my story ready to the wife on "Why I need this $70 pizza stone!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deathwing posted:

Their site seems alright as far as I can tell? - http://www.bakingstone.com/

Bought one about 4 years ago, it's still holding up fine despite spilling cheese and sauce on it several times like an idiot.

I cannot connect to that site.

The baking steel is interesting, but I wouldn't want to risk it. Also, the postage to the UK is more than the bloody steel.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Jedit posted:

This is what I ordered. Shipping took ages, but it's awesome. Even came with a (cheapo) peel! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039S44TI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Woah.
The reviews are pretty bad, so I'll give you my experience with it.
Yes, the peel is lovely. I can take a picture of mine when I get home tonight. I haven't had any issues with it though. Slides pizzas into the oven and pulls them out with relative ease.
Yes, the corners are a little crumbly. Who loving cares?
As far as the complaints that it's just a slab of stone....duh?
You can get stones cheaper, but the appealing thing about this one was the 1" thickness. Most pizza stones we get in the UK are way less than that. Thicker stone=better temp holding performance.

If you want to see what pizzas look like off this thing, check out the ones I posted in the pizza thread.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Jedit posted:

I cannot connect to that site.

The baking steel is interesting, but I wouldn't want to risk it. Also, the postage to the UK is more than the bloody steel.

Weird, works fine on my phone and work computer....anyhoo, I imagine the shipping on one of their stones to the UK probably wouldn't be much better than the steel anyway.

Deathwing fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 20, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

angor posted:

This is what I ordered. Shipping took ages, but it's awesome. Even came with a (cheapo) peel! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039S44TI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Woah.
The reviews are pretty bad, so I'll give you my experience with it.
Yes, the peel is lovely. I can take a picture of mine when I get home tonight. I haven't had any issues with it though. Slides pizzas into the oven and pulls them out with relative ease.
Yes, the corners are a little crumbly. Who loving cares?
As far as the complaints that it's just a slab of stone....duh?
You can get stones cheaper, but the appealing thing about this one was the 1" thickness. Most pizza stones we get in the UK are way less than that. Thicker stone=better temp holding performance.

If you want to see what pizzas look like off this thing, check out the ones I posted in the pizza thread.

Good lord how much does that slab of stone weigh?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Too much for my kitchen scale (maxes out at 5kg) to handle.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
This page's lack of pictures made me sad.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
That looks extremely tasty

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drat!

Is there a little colby or cheddar on there? Your cheese looks to have some orangey spots on them, it looks delicious. Might just be sauce/cheese mixture, though.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I don't usually care for pepperoni, but that looks really good. Nice color on the crust

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Thanks folks. I use about one third cheddar and two thirds mozzarella. I like it; it gives the cheese a little more of a chewy bite. The pepperoni was actually turkey pepperoni to keep the thing from turning into an oil slick. Plus, you know, when you're shoving down like four pieces of pizza you gotta be a little healthy, right? It wasn't as good as regular pepperoni but once cooked its alright. Sometimes I like to hide a little caramelized onions under the cheese, too.

drat now I want to make pizza again. Thanks a lot, guys.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

What's the common consensus for the go to pizza stone? I need to buy one.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Walk Away posted:

Thanks folks. I use about one third cheddar and two thirds mozzarella. I like it; it gives the cheese a little more of a chewy bite. The pepperoni was actually turkey pepperoni to keep the thing from turning into an oil slick. Plus, you know, when you're shoving down like four pieces of pizza you gotta be a little healthy, right? It wasn't as good as regular pepperoni but once cooked its alright. Sometimes I like to hide a little caramelized onions under the cheese, too.

drat now I want to make pizza again. Thanks a lot, guys.

On the topic of being healthy, throw some turkey bacon on there too.. You can pre-cook it and use small pieces or throw the whole freaking thing on there if you want.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Soulex posted:

What's the common consensus for the go to pizza stone? I need to buy one.

Baking Steel overall.
Fibrament stone for off the shelf stone.
Tile from your local stoneworks if you want a cheaper still version.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

More pictures. From last night.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
My goon friend and I attempted to replicate CPK's BBQ Chicken pizza the other night. I don't have pictures, but it was incredibly successful.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ThirstyBuck posted:

More pictures. From last night.

Holy poo poo that looks delicious!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

For all those complaining about sticky peels, is there some religious reason people don't use pizza screens? They're like two bucks at the local restaurant supply store and they come in a range of sizes from personal to jesus christ that won't even fit in a home oven. Just build your pizza right on it and use your peel to slide it in the oven. No muss, no fuss, still get that stone contact through the screen, easy peasy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

With how fine the mesh on those pizza screens is, I would think that they would significantly lessen the direct exposure of the dough to the super hot stone, preventing maillards from happening quickly enough compared to the top of the pie cooking. You want some leopard spotting on the bottom, not a Domino's-style uniformly colored underside, no?

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 21, 2013

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

demonR6 posted:

Holy poo poo that looks delicious!

Maybe not the prettiest, but it was without a doubt the tastiest crust I've ever made.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Screw pretty.. I only care about tasty.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

My humble contribution to this thread, my standard, a pretty simple mozzarella/blue cheese/red onion thing. Tried out a new crust recipe, and also replaced the water with Summit Saga IPA, a real decent local IPA that is now offered in 12 packs. I *think* I can taste a bit of a hoppy edge on the crust, but I've also never made this particular crust recipe before so I guess it's hard to say. I found this particular recipe much more pliable and easy to knead/manage overall, I'm a fan. I think the crust might have been a little too thin this time around but it's good to have an area to improve.

this was posted upthread but here's a repost in case anyone was wondering:

quote:

5 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar or honey
2 teaspoons salt (or 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt)
1 teaspoon instant yeast
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 3/4 to 2 cups room-temperature water

Blasted it at about 500. Would like to try the pan/broiler method sometime but this works for me for now. Anyway, the pictures:

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
My first two pizzas! The crust is sourdough starter, ap flour, salt and water. Sausage one was New York-ish thickness. Pesto one was Neapolitan thin. Cooked as close to the broiler as I could manage.

Tomato Sauce, Mozz, Mushroom, Sausage, Basil, Onion

Pesto, Mozz, Feta, Red Onion (This was actually one of the best pizzas I have ever had)

Now I just need to work on transferring without having to shake the life out of my peel.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Oracle posted:

For all those complaining about sticky peels, is there some religious reason people don't use pizza screens? They're like two bucks at the local restaurant supply store and they come in a range of sizes from personal to jesus christ that won't even fit in a home oven. Just build your pizza right on it and use your peel to slide it in the oven. No muss, no fuss, still get that stone contact through the screen, easy peasy.

When I did that it was maybe worse on the stone than the screen just put straight on the rack. So I just switched to parchment paper.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Been making homemade pizzas for about 3 years now (maybe once every 2-3 months), this time I decided to make enough dough to freeze (4 pizzas total). Here's the first two:

I used a sauce I found on allrecipes instead of trying to make my own just to see how it would taste, it was way too sweet and just terrible all around. I made the third one with a homemade sauce starting from tomatoes, and it was much better:

Before cooking:

After:

On the third pizza we also did a garlic butter wash on the exposed crust. Third pizza with the custom sauce recipe was way better, but the garlic butter didn't really add as much to the crust as I was hoping. Maybe an egg wash with garlic would work better than the butter. Fourth pizza we're going to do a white sauce with chicken and onion.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 25, 2013

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Tonight was a good one.

Base was 3cups whole wheat flour, 2tbsp sugar + 1tsp instant dry yeast + 2/3cup warm water (as a starter) + grapeseed oil for the base (45 min rise, didn't rise much). Made 2 bases...

Preheated my stone at about 500F for 45 minutes while making a basic sauce using Trader Joe's Fire Roasted Tomatoes + Garlic + Tomato Paste/Puree + Herbs de Provence. I then sliced and cooked some TJ's smoked chiken andoullie sausages (first in a frying pan, but had second thoughts so put them in the oven) to reduce the fat in them.

I then rolled out the base, topped with sauce and TJ's (this is turning into a bloody advert for them! I didn't get the flour, yeast or sugar from there) light mozzarella, one onion, the sausages and some pepperocini... under 10 minutes in the oven.

Frigging great!

EDIT: Sorry, I can't resize/remove that image, should have made it a bit smaller.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 26, 2013

Koppite
Apr 10, 2007

The Land of Pleasant Living
Pizza stone Q:

1. My pizza stone doesn't get nearly as hot as the sheet pan I use to cook the pizza. Why is that? Do I need to leave the stone in for a long time before cooking and the place the pizza on the stone via peel?

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

Koppite posted:

Pizza stone Q:

1. My pizza stone doesn't get nearly as hot as the sheet pan I use to cook the pizza. Why is that? Do I need to leave the stone in for a long time before cooking and the place the pizza on the stone via peel?

I preheat the oven with the stone in it for about an hour, then a few minutes before I put the pizza in the oven I put the stone under the broiler on high to get it hotter. Once my pizza is ready to go, I put the stone back in the middle of the oven and put the pizza on it. I've had the best results this way.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Can someone please give me a good margherita sauce recipe? Looking for something on the sweeter side.

Thanks!

Manifresh
May 6, 2010
I have not made homemade pizza in a long time because every time I did, the crust sucked and tasted like doughy flour and water. After reading the entire thread, I finally settled on trying Casu Marzu’s dough recipe. Best dough I’ve ever had—turned out PERFECT!

I don’t have a pizza stone yet, so I preheated the open to 500 for about 45 minutes, the par-baked the crust on a cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Pulled the crust out, topped it and put it back in, directly on the rack. The crust got perfectly crusty but I will definitely be buying a pizza stone for the future pizzas.

We made two different pizzas. Pepperoni with part skim shredded cheese from a bag and sausage with fresh whole milk mozzarella. The pepperoni one turned out good but the sausage one had a much better crust (I got the crust a lot thinner). Only problem with the sausage pizza was a soggy middle. I think I put too many toppings in the middle. Lesson learned for next time.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, soggy middle I would recommend less sauce and other items in the middle since it collects there. Made that mistake once, did some reading here and learned my lesson.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Can someone please give me a good margherita sauce recipe? Looking for something on the sweeter side.

Thanks!

My favorite Magherita around here is from a place called Pizzeria Delfina and all they do is put canned tomatoes and olive oil together for the sauce.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Mu Zeta posted:

My favorite Magherita around here is from a place called Pizzeria Delfina and all they do is put canned tomatoes and olive oil together for the sauce.

I take some fresh oregano and basil, and chop up a TON OF GARLIC, and drop it into a couple cups of GOOD olive oil, and let it sit on my counter for a couple of days.

Get some whole skinned tomatos, drain them, reduce liquid till syrupy, add more basil and some red pepper flakes, and blend like a motherfuck.

When you're ready to make your pizza, take a little of each in whatever combination/strength you want, mix it up, and drizzle over the crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I'm no authority on food safety, but isn't garlic+olive oil a massive invitation to botulism poisoning?

Edit: That does sound delicious as gently caress though.