Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The more I think about it, the more I like how he just regresses back into a moody little boy in Batman 3. I like movies where the protagonist learns jack poo poo.

That's not true. Bruce learns that hanging out in Italy with Anne Hathaway is better than being Batman.

Which is a lesson we can all relate to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Not sure how Fargo hasn't been mentioned under Coen movies that end on that note, since I think it's the only one besides Burn After Reading to say that. iirc there's a similar monologue at the end talking about how people sure are stupid and life goes on.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

computer parts posted:

No Country wasn't really like that, True Grit wasn't either. Raising Arizona had Nic Cage still being a little foolish but he definitely learned something by the end of it.

What exactly do any of the characters in No Country learn? It was the first Cohen brother film I watched and the main reason I liked it was that it had absolutely no message. Tommy Lee Jones even admits to chatting bullshit at one point and we all know what happens to Javier Bardem.

I then saw The Big Lebowski, Fargo and Burn After Reading and since then I've assumed that the Cohen brothers aim to make films that carry no meaning.

Meh, maybe I'm wrong.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

asap-salafi posted:

Meh, maybe I'm wrong.

You are very wrong. Characters not growing is not even close to the same thing as "films with no meaning."

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I don't know how you could watch No Country for Old Men and think that it doesn't have a message.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Any other examples of films where the protagonist learns absolutely nothing in the end?

The Big Lebowski comes to mind.

Dr. Strangelove.

"Mr. President, we must not allow a mineshaft gap!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CPFortest posted:

I don't know how you could watch No Country for Old Men and think that it doesn't have a message.

There's a big clue in the title!

CPFortest posted:

That's not true. Bruce learns that hanging out in Italy with Anne Hathaway is better than being Batman.

Which is a lesson we can all relate to.

Well, he trades one adolescent fantasy for another, one is just more healthy and less destructive than the other.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Well, he trades one adolescent fantasy for another, one is just more healthy and less destructive than the other.

So he learns that adolescent fantasies for young men are better than adolescent fantasies for psuedo-Fascists.

e: fixed for accuracy

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

CPFortest posted:

That movie's one of the all-time great ones, I think. I love it but I've never taken any message away. What do you think they were trying to say with it?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

R. Mute posted:

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. A coming of age film where nobody actually comes of age. I'm pretty sure the people who made it disagree with me, because they literally end it with Bowie's Changes - but I guess the author's dead and also wrong.

I mean yeah, everyone's still a dumb teenager at the end of the movie, but I really don't think you can say that Charlie doesn't change. He has friends, and confidence, and is getting psychiatric help. That's nothing if not change.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Young Adult, kind of.

This one is my favorite, because the main character goes through all of the motions, actually makes the change, and we can see it starting to take effect, and then one conversation with one stupid character and it all goes flying out the window.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I see your point, and while I agree with everything you said, if they did change the line, it was for the better.

Asking where they both are and saying, "I'm going after Rachel" when he gets the address just works way better than Batman confronting the joker about the missing DA and his partner (in front of Gordon and the others) and yelling "WHERE'S RACHEL! WHERE IS SHE!" and when getting the answer telling Gordon "I'M GOING AFTER RACHEL".

That'd be kinda weird.

Sorry to drag this up again, but I missed yesterday's threadsplosion from my original question. If that line was changed, obviously the filmakers agreed with you feeling that it was out of character (or redundant) and decided to make a 13th hour fix for better or worse.

Personally, I prefer the line as "WHERE IS SHE" just from the notion that it shows how much the Joker has really gotten under his skin. He can beat on this psychopath all he wants but there is literally nothing he can do with all his strength. He's so blinded with rage, panic, and frustration that Mr. World's Greatest Detective can't think clearly enough to realize that the Joker may have lied about who was in which warehouse. When he gets there to find Harvey, the audience is left thinking "well of course he would have lied about that", then BOOM fresh baked Rachel.

So back to my question: was the line was ever "WHERE IS SHE", or am I going crazy? (granted those two may not be mutually exclusive)

So far only one person remembers it like I do. Anyone else?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

pookerbug posted:

Sorry to drag this up again, but I missed yesterday's threadsplosion from my original question. If that line was changed, obviously the filmakers agreed with you feeling that it was out of character (or redundant) and decided to make a 13th hour fix for better or worse.

Personally, I prefer the line as "WHERE IS SHE" just from the notion that it shows how much the Joker has really gotten under his skin. He can beat on this psychopath all he wants but there is literally nothing he can do with all his strength. He's so blinded with rage, panic, and frustration that Mr. World's Greatest Detective can't think clearly enough to realize that the Joker may have lied about who was in which warehouse. When he gets there to find Harvey, the audience is left thinking "well of course he would have lied about that", then BOOM fresh baked Rachel.

So back to my question: was the line was ever "WHERE IS SHE", or am I going crazy? (granted those two may not be mutually exclusive)

I feel like that was the line too but it's also a phrase that could've been uttered by a million other characters in movies or TV so there might be some confusion. It wouldn't be out of place in Batman Begins, actually.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

asap-salafi posted:

Cohen Cohen Cohen Cohen Cohen
A heads up, it's Coen and not Cohen. No H.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

csidle posted:

A heads up, it's Coen and not Cohen. No H.

A lesson Bill Murray has learned all too well.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

pookerbug posted:

I just had a look at the original screenplay and he yells "where are they?" twice at the Joker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crappy Jack posted:

A lesson Bill Murray has learned all too well.

Easily one of the top ten stories I've ever heard about the making of a movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Easily one of the top ten stories I've ever heard about the making of a movie.

Do go on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

quote:

Well, how about Garfield? Can you explain that to me? Did you just do it for the dough?
No! I didn't make that for the dough! Well, not completely. I thought it would be kind of fun, because doing a voice is challenging, and I'd never done that. Plus, I looked at the script, and it said, "So-and-so and Joel Coen." And I thought: Christ, well, I love those Coens! They're funny. So I sorta read a few pages of it and thought, Yeah, I'd like to do that. I had these agents at the time, and I said, "What do they give you to do one of these things?" And they said, "Oh, they give you $50,000." So I said, "Okay, well, I don't even leave the fuckin' driveway for that kind of money."
And it's not like you're helping out an indie director by playing Garfield.
Exactly. He's in 3,000 newspapers every day; he's not hurtin'. Then this studio guy calls me up out of nowhere, and I had a nice conversation with him. No bullshit, no schmooze, none of that stuff. We just talked for a long time about the movie. And my agents called on Monday and said, "Well, they came back with another offer, and it was nowhere near $50,000." And I said, "That's more befitting of the work I expect to do!" So tehy went off and shot the movie, and I forgot all about it. Finally, I went out to L.A. to record my lines. And usually when you're looping a movie, if it takes two days, that's a lot. I don't know if I should even tell this story, because it's kind of mean. [beat] What the hell? It's interesting. So I worked all day and kept going, "That's the line? Well, I can't say that." And you sit there and go, What can I say that will make this funny? And make it make sense? And I worked. I was exhausted, soaked with sweat, and the lines got worse and worse. And I said, "Okay, you better show me the rest of the movie, so we can see what we're dealing with." So I sat down and watched the whole thing, and I kept saying, "Who the hell cut this thing? Who did this? What the gently caress was Coen thinking?" And then they explained it to me: It wasn't written by that Joel Coen.
And the pieces fall into place.
[shakes head sadly] At least they had whats-her-name. The mind reader, pretty girl, really curvy girl, body's one in a million? What's her name? Help me. You know who I mean.
Jennifer Love Hewitt?
Right! At least they had her in good-looking clothes. Best thing about the movie. But that's all ugly. That's inappropriate. That's just... [laughs] That's why, when they say, "Any regrets?" at the end of Zombieland, I say, "Well, maybe Garfield."
Fair enough. But this doesn't explain why he returned for the 2006 sequel, Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties, which was also not made by the Coen brothers.

The best part is that he was approached in the first place because on the Garfield cartoon, they got the guy who voiced Dr. Peter Venkman on the Ghostbusters cartoon, who does the same Bill Murray impression for Garfield.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

He said he didn't realize that Joel Cohen and Joel Coen were two different writers, and signed on to Garfield based on the fact that it was being written by a Coen brother. It's a ridiculous story and was clearly meant as a joke, but because of this whole bizarre and stupid "Nobody will ever believe you" legend the internet has created around Murray lots of people took it seriously.

e: wrong Cohen. Though Etan Cohen and Joel Cohen should totally team up to be the dark mirror version of the Coen brothers.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 19, 2013

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bill Murray claimed he didn't read the Garfield script properly and thought it was a Joel Coen film he was signing up for.

http://www.vulture.com/2010/07/bill_murray_only_did_garfield.html

copying a url obviously takes time :/

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

I mean yeah, everyone's still a dumb teenager at the end of the movie, but I really don't think you can say that Charlie doesn't change. He has friends, and confidence, and is getting psychiatric help. That's nothing if not change.
These are all pretty superficial changes and throughout the film Charlie doesn't really grow as a person. The whole plot reads like a fantasy written by someone who's essentially still like Charlie in the film (just think about the laughable black out and punch a lot of dudes bit) I mean, of course it's partially intentional: this is a film about stupid teenagers after all. That's why you won't hear me complaining about Sam talking about Obscure Artist David Bowie. (Also, I checked and the song was Heroes, not Changes.)

But what felt grating to me was the complete lack of responsibility surrounding Charlie, not just in the usual teenage way, but with the writer creating and seemingly approving this even when he's not trying to get into the teenage psyche or whatever. 90% of what Charlie does or what happens to him is caused by an external factor and can't be blamed on (or attributed to) him. The other 10% is magically without consequences for him. Charlie stumbles through the entire plot without having to take responsibility for anything, good or bad, while this is an important part of any coming of age film. It's like the author (who obviously based Charlie on his own experiences and fantasies) felt the need to protect his character from the outside world.

Examples abound. You've got Sam and Patrick adopting him. He's not responsible for anything he does at the party because he's stoned. Sam kisses Charlie and not the other way around. Charlie gets pressed into the RHPS because a regular got sick and only after they basically force him on-stage. His LSD-trip. Mary Elisabeth asks him to the prom and declares them to be dating and he passively goes along with it. He beats up a lot of dudes, but he blacked out so he's not at fault! It was just his combat training kicking in. They should be glad he didn't have his hanzo steel on him. Patrick kisses him and not the other way around. And maybe a bit controversially, even his suicide attempt was caused by external factors (his aunt), instead of what I would have found more interesting story-wise: an 'ordinary' depression.

Even the one action during the entire film which you could say had consequences - the Truth or Dare kiss - is tainted by this. For starters, it happens during Truth or Dare, the traditional fantasy where you don't have to feel guilty for doing something because hey, you were dared to. It also had the whole 'Jesus Christ Mary Elisabeth, shut the gently caress up already' montage before it, so she 'deserved it' kinda. His mom even told him to break up with her. But still, ostensibly there's fallout. Charlie is sent out into the wilderness. Poor him. But then, suddenly, out of nowhere: the nonsensical Black-Out Kungfu Master scene. (Did I mention he didn't seem to get in trouble for beating on a bunch of dudes in the middle of a school?) By doing this non-action, he's back in the group with no real negative consequences at all. Sam and Patrick respect his dude beating skills so much (and the fact that he stood up for Patrick yada yada) that they happily forgive him for dropping that dramabomb in their small group and betraying basically everybody's trust. Mary Elisabeth doesn't care because she's so fickle and changeable and 2D and she has a new boyfriend so she forgives Charlie. Don't ask questions about how Mary Elisabeth now feels about Sam. Just don't.

What it comes down to is that this film isn't just about self-centred teenagers, it was also written by one as some sort of escapist fantasy where he's the star, where he can't be blamed for everybody and where everybody wants to smooch him. Charlie really doesn't change during the film, except that after his suicide attempt, he can talk about what he couldn't during his previous therapy sessions which I assume he had what with all the talk about him 'seeing things again' - his aunt. But does that indicate that he 'came of age'? Did he mature? Or did he finally get run into a corner where the only thing he could do was face this reality, instead of avoiding it like he did with everything else in his life? You can call that change, I guess. I wouldn't.

But it all depends on how you look at it. :v:

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Perks is handled pretty poorly, if you ask me

Maybe it's because I'm old, but the suicide comes out of pretty much nowhere. He's supposed to be "depressed" but he's more just mopey throughout the film. Then his two friends and he decides that's it? Throughout the film he seems to be having a pretty good time even when he's having his worst times. I'm not familiar at all with the book, but am decently familiar with the types who read it, who generally think that a suicide can be a 'beautiful' thing, or that it can teach a lesson to people around others. Speaking from experience, I can say neither of these things are true. The films made like a teen drama, and it's supposed to be "about" teen depression, but it's never handled well at all. Even with all of the voiceover in the film, you never get into the headspace of the character the way you do in, say, Take Shelter, or even Silver Linings Playbook. I don't really get it, I dunno.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I think you're misinterpreting the purpose of the Bad Relationship montage. That scene is not to show that Charlie is justified in how he acts during Truth or Dare. That scene is itself the consequence for the mistake he made earlier. After the Sadie Hawkins dance Charlie was clearly not interested in making out with Mary Elisabeth, because he's only really interested in Sam. But he didn't voice any of this and instead went along with it, giving her the wrong impression. Then when she upped the ante by declaring him her boyfriend, he still said nothing. Rather than experience a moment's discomfort and tell her right then that he wasn't interested, he kept quiet and effectively led her on, setting her up for larger heartbreak.

During the montage, his mother tells him that he should break up with Mary Elisabeth because the relationship clearly isn't right. He ignores this and still keeps quiet. He says nothing until he reaches his breaking point during the Truth or Dare scene, where he insults and humiliates Mary Elisabeth in front of all of their friends. Even if she was a lovely girlfriend, she didn't deserve that.

And as a consequence, Charlie's friends cut him off. He loses his support structure, and his mental problems get worse. Things get worse, but he never says anything to his parents or his brother or sister about it. Everything comes to a head in the cafeteria when he blacks out during the fight.

Charlie's main problem in the film is that he ignores his issues. Whenever he starts seeing things he tries to just shut it off. He doesn't talk to people about his problems. At the end of the film he has taken the first steps towards fixing that. Keep in mind that while all of Charlie's friends are seniors, he is only a freshman. At the end of the film, he is still only at the beginning of his arc.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

As soon as I saw who was playing Mary Elizabeth, Charlie's first girlfriend, I blurted out, "Her?" without even realizing what I was doing.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

NeuroticErotica posted:

The films made like a teen drama, and it's supposed to be "about" teen depression,
I think this is the main problem with the film. It's made to feel like a film about teen depression, and for much of its running time repeatedly says it's a film about teen depression, but it's not. It's a film about a sexual abuse victim coming to terms with that damage. The most obvious part of that damage happens to be depression. I'd have less of a problem with the film if that had been clear from the start instead of treating it as some twist, complete with vague hinting through flashbacks.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

cloudchamber posted:

I just had a look at the original screenplay and he yells "where are they?" twice at the Joker.

Well that settles it. I'm fuckin' bonkers.
I'll be in my room pissing in milk bottles and making a vest out of hair.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

cloudchamber posted:

I just re-watched the scene too, Joker responds with "Killing is making a choice." & "Choose between one life and the other."

Which doesn't fit quite as well with the "WHERE IS SHE?!" as "WHERE ARE THEY?!". Even if he's taunting and ignoring a specific question.

That being said, knowing what we do about Batman and Bruce and the whole choosing to reveal his identity just a short while before, it puts a different spin on the Joker's last line there. "Choose between one life and the other" means Harvey vs Rachel, but it could also mean choosing between Batman and Bruce.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Mescal posted:

That movie's one of the all-time great ones, I think. I love it but I've never taken any message away. What do you think they were trying to say with it?

To quote Hundu, who put it so succinctly.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Oh, and duh: Observe and Report.

Consequently: Taxi Driver.

And GoodFellas.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

And GoodFellas.

Most James Bond movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

And GoodFellas.

Goodfellas is especially fun knowing how the real Henry Hill ended up (kicked out of the Witness Protection program for constantly going back to his old ways.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

Goodfellas is especially fun knowing how the real Henry Hill ended up (kicked out of the Witness Protection program for constantly going back to his old ways.)

Then making porno

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I saw part of a film a few years ago I'd very much like to identify so I could see it in its entirety now.

I believe it was filmed in the 70s, and the premise reminded me of Synecdoche, New York. But it featured a black director, filming some kind of film, but it became "meta," as if he was trying to film the act of the film crew filming a movie about which they have no clue what the hell was going on. I remember seeing shots of the film crew discussing the director being lovely. He was basically being a horrible director on purpose, and I believe trying to capture the actual film crew's reactions to the premise.

I seem to recall it having a strange title, I could've sworn it, too, was called Synecdoche something, but I believe I'm mistaken, as my Google-fu attempts have been turning up unsuccessful. I am pretty positive it has a rather strange title, however.

Any help would be much appreciated!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

corpsed posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I saw part of a film a few years ago I'd very much like to identify so I could see it in its entirety now.

I believe it was filmed in the 70s, and the premise reminded me of Synecdoche, New York. But it featured a black director, filming some kind of film, but it became "meta," as if he was trying to film the act of the film crew filming a movie about which they have no clue what the hell was going on. I remember seeing shots of the film crew discussing the director being lovely. He was basically being a horrible director on purpose, and I believe trying to capture the actual film crew's reactions to the premise.

I seem to recall it having a strange title, I could've sworn it, too, was called Synecdoche something, but I believe I'm mistaken, as my Google-fu attempts have been turning up unsuccessful. I am pretty positive it has a rather strange title, however.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm.

This sounds kinda cool. Is it any good?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I love it. I maintain it's a great double feature with Blair Witch.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
When do we first see those silencers/suppressors for firearms turn up in films? You know the sort, they make the pistol or sniper rifle sound like a tiny kitten coughing, and are about as loud.

I'm thinking James Bond, but maybe there is something earlier than that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Project1 posted:

When do we first see those silencers/suppressors for firearms turn up in films? You know the sort, they make the pistol or sniper rifle sound like a tiny kitten coughing, and are about as loud.

I'm thinking James Bond, but maybe there is something earlier than that.

Speaking of this, I was watching Universal Soldier: Day Of Reckoning where a silencer is used and it produces a realistic sound.

It sounded like a loving gunshot, is what I'm saying.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

pookerbug posted:

Well that settles it. I'm fuckin' bonkers.
I'll be in my room pissing in milk bottles and making a vest out of hair.

Apparently we're not the only two people who remember it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ3ninO2aXc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
At 23:00 in Steamboat Bill Jr., Steamboat Bill takes a bite out of something and offers it to his son. What is it?

I can't tell if it's some kind of beef jerky or tobacco product or anything.

The film is on Netflix Instant for those who want to investigate: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/999095?strkid=1387992741_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=999095