Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Westminster System posted:

I'll admit, its a bit naughty of me, but Gettysburg: Armoured Warfare, even if it was only Paradox a publisher, was a month after CK2, unless I've messed up the timing somewhere.

Ill apologize for bringing that game up, though.

Woah buddy, this here thread is for PDS games (and I guess games based on our tech since MM and DH etc. get a mention), take your filthy PI published games talk elsewhere!

Although if you did want to count all the PI games since CK2, there's several (not out yet and most recently released are at the top), but if you just count full games we actually made MotE is right after CK2.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Congratulations, you're Napoleon.

I laughed :)

Otherwhise yes, most of the units are just there for visual flavor but not sure people would be happier if all units were different

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
RPS has a thing on EU4: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/19/impressions-europa-universalis-iv/

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'd be much happier if there were at least fewer near-identical units. Army customisation could afford to come at a lesser expense to interface clutter.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yeah, there's no point to have several identical units. It's only clutter and doesn't add anything to the game.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Switzerland being tilted weirdly to the right is bugging me more then it should. I can't unsee it. :(

Isnt that a quirk from France stripping territory away from the Swiss Revolutionary Republic?

Darkrenown posted:

Woah buddy, this here thread is for PDS games (and I guess games based on our tech since MM and DH etc. get a mention), take your filthy PI published games talk elsewhere!

Although if you did want to count all the PI games since CK2, there's several (not out yet and most recently released are at the top), but if you just count full game we actually made MotE is right after CK2.

Indeed there have, but I have a penchant for bringing up the most terrible I could remember. Naval War was actually a game I don't regret buying, for example.

But yes, you are right, but I feel that if I mention that game enough, it will one day be good.

I can live in vain hope, right?

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 19, 2013

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

SA_Avenger posted:

I laughed :)

Otherwhise yes, most of the units are just there for visual flavor but not sure people would be happier if all units were different

I'm sure that some people would like the flavor, but giving the units different stats would make make it even more confusing to me. The whole thing would be helped a lot if you could see more than 7 unit types at once in the menu.

I mean there's essentially 5 unique types of infantry, 3 cav, and 3 artillery. There might be some people that really want 10 types of cavalry, but just having the unique units really seems like enough depth to me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What determines if you continue holding a province after your armies have occupied it and moved on? Do you need to capture the nearest fort?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

What determines if you continue holding a province after your armies have occupied it and moved on? Do you need to capture the nearest fort?

Yep, without forts and towns you can't control territory.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
It doesn't seem to be possible to mod in additional brigades or leaders.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

YF-23 posted:

I'd be much happier if there were at least fewer near-identical units. Army customisation could afford to come at a lesser expense to interface clutter.

Sorry man, the middle of the Napoleonic Wars is where all the Generals from both sides brought in those boring uniform regulations. If it makes you feel any better half the time nobody listened to them!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

So many units are exactly the same. Great Britain, for instance, has Dragoons and Heavy Dragoons and Lancers, all of which are identical cavalry units. That doesn't even make sense, since there are different unit types for Dragoons and Heavy Cavalry.

:gonk:

Lancers!

:gonk:

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 19, 2013

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

What's with Erzherzog Eraserhead? Mixing the cartoonish portraits with the historical ones just looks weird. Also, Paradox couldn't find a portrait of Napoleon? Is it some sort of rights issue?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'm playing a friend's copy of MotE as Egypt, and I've managed to grab a good chunk of The Ottomans holdings, but I can't really see anything to indicate they are losing their status as a great power or I am rising to one. Also, I can't seem to find a way to recruit new generals... am I missing something here?

Screen cap of my Egypt;

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DrProsek posted:

I'm playing a friend's copy of MotE as Egypt, and I've managed to grab a good chunk of The Ottomans holdings, but I can't really see anything to indicate they are losing their status as a great power or I am rising to one. Also, I can't seem to find a way to recruit new generals... am I missing something here?

Screen cap of my Egypt;

I don't believe you CAN become a great power. I'm not even sure a minor power can win the game, because it has no goals to do so. Maybe via prestige?

But it's a Paradox game. All 'winning' means is you see slightly different text on the end screen. You win or lose based on if you accomplished your goals and had fun. :shobon:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Fintilgin posted:

I don't believe you CAN become a great power. I'm not even sure a minor power can win the game, because it has no goals to do so. Maybe via prestige?

But it's a Paradox game. All 'winning' means is you see slightly different text on the end screen. You win or lose based on if you accomplished your goals and had fun. :shobon:

Yeah, my game ended with me having pushed the Ottomans out of Asia Minor entirely, effectively leaving them destroyed since the only Turks in their entire nation were the ones by their capital, and two provinces out east.

On the one hand even if there were objectives for Egypt I certainly didn't win and I did complete my original goal of basically ending the Ottomans, but it still feels a bit annoying to complete my minor goal, which I felt was a bit impressive considering every North African nation's background text said "Can you prevent the Ottomans from pressing their claim on you?", only to get a "You (minor) lose!" screen :(. I know the focus of the game is to become the dominant power in Europe, not beat up the Ottomans, but I guess I just prefer when the only objective basically boils down to "survive till the end screen" and you can make up whatever other objectives you want instead of a fixed objective.

Also I'm now almost positive I can't recruit generals which makes it doubly annoying to play minor powers because I have maybe 4 generals to staff my 100k+ man army, and not a single admiral for my 20 big ship fleet.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 19, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
While on the subject of accomplishing my goals in a Paradox game:

:911::respek::ussr:

I also managed to spread glorious communist revolution to Haiti, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Hawaii and sphere all of them. The Cherokee homeland is sphered and puppeted but is an isolationist vaguely-liberal democracy and I don't have the heart to declare war on my Indian buddies. :3:

e: The American Communist Party is pacifist by default, but I went ahead and just edited the game files to make them Anti-Military. Still mostly the same in terms of effects, except now I can actually declare war on people.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 19, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Does anyone have any tips on fighting GBR in MotE? I'm playing as the Ottomans, and all I need to do is to get them under 100% naval domination to win, but I'm getting absolutely slaughtered in all engagements, even with twice the amount of ships:

I thought at first it was because of Britain's admirals, but in this screenshot I lost 15 1st-rate-ship-of-the-line, and half my transporters without doing any damage. It's even worse when they actually use any of their super-admirals.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Mister Bates posted:

While on the subject of accomplishing my goals in a Paradox game:

:911::respek::ussr:

I also managed to spread glorious communist revolution to Haiti, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Hawaii and sphere all of them. The Cherokee homeland is sphered and puppeted but is an isolationist vaguely-liberal democracy and I don't have the heart to declare war on my Indian buddies. :3:

e: The American Communist Party is pacifist by default, but I went ahead and just edited the game files to make them Anti-Military. Still mostly the same in terms of effects, except now I can actually declare war on people.

I, for one, think you made the right choice in just not colonizing Oklahoma.

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Does anyone have any tips on fighting GBR in MotE? I'm playing as the Ottomans, and all I need to do is to get them under 100% naval domination to win, but I'm getting absolutely slaughtered in all engagements, even with twice the amount of ships:

I thought at first it was because of Britain's admirals, but in this screenshot I lost 15 1st-rate-ship-of-the-line, and half my transporters without doing any damage. It's even worse when they actually use any of their super-admirals.

Do you have any of the naval ideas? The top tier naval movement idea and fire idea level four both make a big difference.

I never had enough ships to really take down the British so I had to exploit the AI a bit instead. Usually the AI navies are split into little 1-4 ship fleets except for one or two serious stacks, but they're not smart enough to blockade your main fleet with one of those stacks, so you can just hide at port and wait for them to go away (or occasionally they do this weird thing where every day the major fleet splits off a new 1 ship fleet, so you can wait for their fleet to get really small then attack), then you have a week or two free sailing before they come back.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Enrico Dandolo posted:

Do you have any of the naval ideas? The top tier naval movement idea and fire idea level four both make a big difference.

I never had enough ships to really take down the British so I had to exploit the AI a bit instead. Usually the AI navies are split into little 1-4 ship fleets except for one or two serious stacks, but they're not smart enough to blockade your main fleet with one of those stacks, so you can just hide at port and wait for them to go away (or occasionally they do this weird thing where every day the major fleet splits off a new 1 ship fleet, so you can wait for their fleet to get really small then attack), then you have a week or two free sailing before they come back.

I have the fire idea, but not the last naval idea, that's 1000 idea points away, so that's probably not very realistic. Adding up the various bonuses I've found that Britain gets +50% big/light ship defence from one of the unique decisions and 0.2 extra naval morale and 20% light/big ship attack due to its government. That's quite a bit in addition to the 1+ morale idea. Seems like I'm a bit hosed. I can't defeat them with twice the amount of ships and with even more ships I guess my positioning would plummet, so my only hope seems to be some kind of AI exploit and/or going for that last naval idea.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Guys if anyone of you are playing as Prussia get your Prussian ideas to maximum before anything else, since that will allow you to get almost twice as many idea points as everyone else each month.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Also if you aren't playing mote in multiplayer you are missing out, It's super fun!

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Darkrenown posted:

Whelp, pack it up, everyone stop playing!

Yes, that is exactly what my several posts on the subject have been about - demanding people stop playing MOTE. Glad you cracked the code; some people might have mistaken them as a series of posts letting those without the game and who don't go to IRC/Skype in on what people were feeling about it. Also a good thing you didn't include the edit in that very post, else it might not appear like a black and white condemnation of the game!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Succumbed to temptation & picked up the game yesterday. After the tutorial (surprisingly fast & good!) and a few years in France single-player, I've been playing co-op with my brother, as the most natural pals* in the game: Prussia and Austria. :3:

Got into a 100,000 manpower hole fighting wars with Denmark and (more critically) Russia, and by the time I'd gotten half-way out of the hole, France declared war on me. We stopped right as I formed a coalition to begin fighting him off.

I don't know how much in the way of legs the game has, but it's fun so far! Not regretting my $20 yet.

*Rivals and hated enemies, but hey, what's a little ahistoricity between friends?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Gorgo Primus posted:

Darkrenown posted:

Whelp, pack it up, everyone stop playing!
Yes, that is exactly what my several posts on the subject have been about - demanding people stop playing MOTE. Glad you cracked the code; some people might have mistaken them as a series of posts letting those without the game and who don't go to IRC/Skype in on what people were feeling about it. Also a good thing you didn't include the edit in that very post, else it might not appear like a black and white condemnation of the game!

Oooh, I get it now. It's not really about HoI and whatnot with you two, but it's some batman-joker thing.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Not really. DR just really hates it when I claim that HOI3 and Sengoku are terrible; and since I said something bad about MOTE he decided "better safe than sorry" and rushed to defend its honour.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
or, you know, he was joking.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Lichtenstein posted:

quote:

Oooh, I get it now. It's not really about HoI and whatnot with you two, but it's some batman-joker thing.

I thought it was Gort who kept getting into HoI slapfights with Darkrenown, not Gorgo.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 20, 2013

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Yeah that was Gort, but to be fair, that argument seemed to be precipitated by my OP section on HOI3 - which ironically enough was mostly just a C&P of Wiz's.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is #paradox still the main IRC place? I thought it would be more bustling with a new release.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Speaking of MOTE, is there a way to mod out the extraneous units?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

DrProsek posted:

Also I'm now almost positive I can't recruit generals which makes it doubly annoying to play minor powers because I have maybe 4 generals to staff my 100k+ man army, and not a single admiral for my 20 big ship fleet.
It's worse: they're hardcoded. You can't even loving add new ones. I added new generals, I even added a decision that copied the enabling code from the French events. Nothing works. I'm bouncing off the walls here, guys. I'm at the mercy of Paradox to fix their own game and that's a horrible place to be.

Gort posted:

I tried doing this. Didn't affect poo poo. I don't even know why the scripts are there. They may just be vestigial.

Gorgo Primus posted:

It's not a bad game, but I judge every Paradox game by the extent to which it can be modded. I am disappoint.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Gort posted:

I've figured it out a way, but it seems like a manual process. It would probably take a few hours to modify every single file, but for a single country it's pretty quick.

As an example, I removed 3 redundant Cavalry units for Russia.

First I opened up March of the Eagles\common\brigades\Russia.txt
This lists all the units available, their 'stat template' and unit size. There were 4 units using the light_cavalry_brigade template: Hussars, Uhlans, Cossacks, and Guard Cossacks. I decided to keep Cossacks.

To remove Uhlans, I found their name, which was "RUS_Uhlans_Brigade_1805".

I opened up March of the Eagles\history\oob\RUS_1805.txt, and did a Find+Replace All on "RUS_Uhlans_Brigade_1805" into "RUS_Cossacks_Brigade_1805". This turns all their starting Uhlans into Cossacks.

Then I went back into March of the Eagles\common\brigades\Russia.txt and deleted the brigade{} entry for Uhlans.

Repeat for every unit you want to replace.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It's worse: they're hardcoded. You can't even loving add new ones. I added new generals, I even added a decision that copied the enabling code from the French events. Nothing works. I'm bouncing off the walls here, guys. I'm at the mercy of Paradox to fix their own game and that's a horrible place to be.

I tried doing this. Didn't affect poo poo. I don't even know why the scripts are there. They may just be vestigial.

It's not a bad game, but I judge every Paradox game by the extent to which it can be modded. I am disappoint.

Are you making backups of the text files in the same folder? Paradox games sometimes read the backup text files instead of the modified files, regardless of the file names. I definitely was able to remove the units.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

esquilax posted:

Are you making backups of the text files in the same folder? Paradox games sometimes read the backup text files instead of the modified files, regardless of the file names. I definitely was able to remove the units.
I'm not overwriting the files, I'm using the mod system. That's not what's broken, because everything else seems to be working.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'm not overwriting the files, I'm using the mod system. That's not what's broken, because everything else seems to be working.

I don't know what to tell you, editing directly works for me.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I just put my leaders in the main directory and started a new game. I guess the mod system doesn't properly extend subfolders.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I just put my leaders in the main directory and started a new game. I guess the mod system doesn't properly extend subfolders.

If you don't want to abandon your game, I'm pretty sure you can just add leaders directly to your save file.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Since I was playing a game of EUIII with the random map generator, I thought I'd show it off. The map was generated 'blind', so I have no idea what's out there in the fog of war.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?430856-Map-Generator-2.0

This is the known world in 1399. 'Europe' stretches from the frozen Portugal near the north pole to frozen France near the south.

This is the political map:

I decide to play as the Teutonic Order on the west coast:

Crimea and the Golden Horde (unlabled) underneath it are the only Muslim provinces on the map. I take them out fairly quickly, but I wasn't used to the new manpower of the latest beta patch, and I found the next few decades pretty harsh. Brittany jumped on me several times and at one point controlled nearly the entire peninsula to my southwest.

In 1478 I get Quest for the New World and head west. This is the state of Europe. France and Naples are turning into juggernauts. The 'form Italy' decision is available, so I expect to see Naples take it once their conquests core.

Heading west was harder then I expected, because the open ocean naval attrition is so harsh in the early game. But very quickly I discover Asia! Spices, chinaware, and gold await! The green isle off the coast of Asia is Qara Koyunlu, which is a bit tricky, because they are nomads and border no one, so they can neither declare war on anyone or be declared war on. I think I'm going to mod them into a despotic monarchy. Maybe I'll invade them, but I did just find a one province minor north of the Timurids with gold...

I should be able to become Prussia pretty soon too, which should be fun.

EDIT: The map generator can also make a historical 'old world' (eurasia/africa) and a random 'new world' (Americas/australia/pacific), which is also lots of fun. I think a variant on that would make a fantastic DLC for EUIV. Please do it Paradox. :)

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 20, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's...actually a surprisingly cool-looking world for a mod that you'd expect to be completely broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fintilgin posted:

Since I was playing a game of EUIII with the random map generator

Holy crap, that looks awesome! Edit: They changed how maps work for CK2, right? You couldn't port this thing over?

Are there any good alternate Westernisation processes for AHD? Because checking the westernisation mechanics it seems... absurd.

• Locked thread