Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NaDy posted:

That's exactly what I thought about that bit too. That twist just came out of nowhere, it was amazing.

Similar to what Brown Moses said, when it was revealed that she filmed the murder of the girl, I thought back to when she was screaming at all the people filming her asking why wouldn't they help. It was just all really well put together.
She is also forced into an amnesic state, making her as vulnerable to the manipulations of the park crew as an innocent child would be to the two adults who kidnapped her. Basically she became the child, the crew is now her torture-loving boyfriend (they even use his tattoo as their symbol) and the crowd is her, totally "under the spell" of what they are seeing. Except the child was killed while she is condemned to suffer until her death. She is a terrible person and the people who enjoy her suffering are at least as terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Seaside Loafer posted:

I thought it was really good and I had been spoilered. I knew it was a gameshow and the women was a murderer but even though I saw the repeat every day thing coming a mile off it was done so well it gave me the heeby jeebys.

You have a very strange idea of a gameshow

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Last Mad Fat Diary was great by the way, it seems to be being lost with Black Mirror being on at the same time. Silly scheduling.

But err.. is Tix ok? We didn't find out :(

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Bland posted:

You have a very strange idea of a gameshow

Err what?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

You said you "knew it was a gameshow" but I'm not sure how publicly humiliating a criminal and making them the victim of the crime they committed for the rest of their life could be thought of as a gameshow. Not trying to snipe at you or anything btw just thought it was a funny choice of words

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Bland posted:

You said you "knew it was a gameshow" but I'm not sure how publicly humiliating a criminal and making them the victim of the crime they committed for the rest of their life could be thought of as a gameshow. Not trying to snipe at you or anything btw just thought it was a funny choice of words
Well thats the point of the satire isnt it!

e: I suspect we are on the same page here bro just both crap at expressing ourselves over the internet :)

Watch out or I will come and put you into my real life mortal kombat scheme I have going, you will be the one with the sword hands!

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 19, 2013

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Bland posted:

Did you even watch the episode? It is a gameshow; this is being broadcast for pleasure, it has a jolly presenter, baying audience and a contestant. It's a shockingly brutal and cruel gameshow, but that's literally the main point of the episode.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

Did you even watch the episode? It is a gameshow; this is being broadcast for pleasure, it has a jolly presenter, baying audience and a contestant. It's a shockingly brutal and cruel gameshow, but that's literally the main point of the episode.

How does that make it a gameshow and not just a reality show?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 19, 2013

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

thexerox123 posted:

How does that make it a gameshow and not a reality show?

It's a reality game show. Lines are blurring.

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof

thehustler posted:

Last Mad Fat Diary was great by the way, it seems to be being lost with Black Mirror being on at the same time. Silly scheduling.

But err.. is Tix ok? We didn't find out :(

Fuel for the second series :woop: I hope they don't use her as a Clarence from It's A Wonderful Life spirit guide type thing all series though, that was pretty cheesy.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

The Supreme Court posted:

Well I don't know about anybody else but "game show" tends to bring to mind some kind of game being played.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Bland posted:

Well I don't know about anybody else but "game show" tends to bring to mind some kind of game being played.
Again, thats the point of the satire. Gameshow used to mean 'wow we can win a new car or a holiday for 2 if we ask some questions right' but now it has become pervasive into media of all types that its become that mediocre talents become semi-celebs for 2 months for just appearing on one of these things.

This piece is a comment on that culture. e(with added playpark and reality tv)

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 19, 2013

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The symbol on the balaclava made it seem like the protagonist was being chased by the masked magician. In any event, I think I've found my 2013 Halloween costume.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

nudipedalia posted:

Just a reminder for those who missed it - Spiral/Engrenages returned to BBC4 on February 9th. Haven't yet check it out, but if it's as good as previous seasons I will be very happy.

I thought every series of Spiral an improvement over the last, and given that Series 3 ended on the perfect clusterfuck I'm almost disappointed that this one has to necessarily dial it back a bit just for things to keep going (although to be fair, when it opens Berthard is facing an investigation over the legally dubious shooting that closed last series, and Judge Roban's still on leave). Nevertheless I'm enjoying the hell out of 4 so far, I doubt it'll disappoint. I was a bit worried to hear that the focus this time around is investigating a far-left terrorist cell but there's nothing I've found offensive; the show's always been pretty universally cynical, and in any case it seems more concerned with highlighting the plight of illegal immigrants in detention than smearing contemporary leftism or suchlike.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

reality_groove posted:

The symbol on the balaclava made it seem like the protagonist was being chased by the masked magician. In any event, I think I've found my 2013 Halloween costume.

Wasn't surrounded by enough half naked women.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

reality_groove posted:

In any event, I think I've found my 2013 Halloween costume.

I'll say hi if I see someone in a sheep mask with an electric knife.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that episode of Black Mirror was some chilling poo poo. I LOVED it... reminded me of Dead Set for some reason.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Rondette posted:

I'm off to watch the last episode of My Mad Fat Diary now :cry: I don't want it to end!

It's got a second series, don't worry

thehustler posted:

I think you mean the third episode.

Also, BBC Two HD will replace BBC HD on March 26th.

No idea where HD BBC3 and 4 content will go after that though...

iirc, BBC Three and Four HD content won't be broadcast and will go straight on the iPlayer

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Im with Bland on Black Mirror, it wasnt a gameshow of any type, there isnt any game element, she lives through the same day everytime - there is no game for her, theres no way for her to win or lose. Its much more like an interactive theatre for the crowd. Its akin to one of these reality tours that a lot of places do where you can walk around with a bunch of actors playing their parts. The one thing thats different is the one peorson who isnt scripted, tho in many senses she is because they'll know her behaviour to a tee by now.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Irisi posted:

I dunno what the gently caress is going on in this anymore, but when the Irish bloke was standing with his back to the camera on stage I thought it was going to be Derren Brown and he would calmly explain for the remaining 20 minutes of the show how he had been manipulating the audience at home.

Now kinda want to see what Derren and Charlie could come up with if they collaborated. Might be fun! (Would certainly be delightfully twisted)

I had the exact same thought. The stage vest seemed like a definite nod though.

wutheringbites posted:

Yeah that was something. Christ.

I might rewatch it sometime to see if there were any hints that it was a set up before the big reveal. The only one I can think of is that the woman accompanying Victoria seemed to have perfect make-up and hair for someone who'd been running for her life for however long. I thought that was an oversight at the start of the episode, but I suppose they may have put it in on purpose.

No blood when the guy is "shot". The presenter lady acts like a self interested bitch but doesn't leave her behind in the van like the sensible action would be, the same actors turning up again and again. I read "hsitory of mental illness? I bet you do" as a jab at her court defence too.

Another thing I liked is that going into it blindly its a bit of a meta prank. You know by this point that black mirror is about technology Gone Wrong so the idea that this episode is just an iphone zombie ep makes sense. And then you get the reveal that they're not actually zombies, just a voyeuristic mob, much better.

I'm surprised at the amount of people saying they didnt like this episode, or that they only liked "the one bit". It packed in a lot for a 40 minute one shot.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 19, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Weird amount of seventies political stuff on iPlayer factual right now.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Can someone explain why I'm watching the :smugbert: Fabulous Baker Brothers :smugbert: on More4? I can't stand the two smug wankers but I can't change the channel.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just found out some chucklefuck at E4 commissioned a 7th series of Skins :psyduck:

e: Godammit I forgot about Utopia! Just like I forgot about Black Mirror! :cry:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 19, 2013

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Edward Fox gives me the horrors in Utopia. Or more specifically, the vile little goatee he's wearing gives me the horrors.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, gently caress off Utopia. Eat poo poo. You know what, after that a loving meteor lands on the roof and blasts everyone to bits. And then it pisses it down with rain.

Wait, no, advert for Skyfall just popped up. James Bond sorts everything out. Better ending.

I loving hate endings like that. everything was a big waste of time and the baddies win, gently caress you!

McDragon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 20, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Looks like there'll be more Reeves and Mortimer on the BBC soon

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/02/19/17230/vic_and_bob_shoot_bbc_sitcom

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Loved Utopia. Though was wondering why did Becky escape Ian and Grant and get on the train at the end? Was it because her Deels was kicking off and she wanted to go somewhere herself where she could possibly end it on her terms? Or did I miss that she was working for Mrs Rabbit at some point?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Ten o'clock on Channel 4 is now the officially designated Twist Zone. No entry without a twist. Tomorrow's better be good or I'm fuckin' done with this poo poo.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McDragon posted:

Oh, gently caress off Utopia. Eat poo poo. You know what, after that a loving meteor lands on the roof and blasts everyone to bits. And then it pisses it down with rain.

Wait, no, advert for Skyfall just popped up. James Bond sorts everything out. Better ending.

I loving hate endings like that. everything was a big waste of time and the baddies win, gently caress you!

I think they may be setting it up for a second series. Picture this for a start to series 2, cold open on an MI5 safehouse, some no-name network goon opens the door to find himself face to face with Arby... "Where is Jessica Hyde?"

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Private Eye posted:

Loved Utopia. Though was wondering why did Becky escape Ian and Grant and get on the train at the end? Was it because her Deels was kicking off and she wanted to go somewhere herself where she could possibly end it on her terms? Or did I miss that she was working for Mrs Rabbit at some point?

You are probably right with your first guess, she already made it clear that she didn't want him to see her suffering, the fit at the train station seemed to just reinforce that. She may not plan to kill herself but it looks like she wants to suffer alone at least.

jazzyhattrick posted:

I think they may be setting it up for a second series. Picture this for a start to series 2, cold open on an MI5 safehouse, some no-name network goon opens the door to find himself face to face with Arby... "Where is Jessica Hyde?"

I sure hope so, would be a great opener.

Obsidius fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 20, 2013

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They must at least be considering a series 2, or they would have just called the dvd "Utopia" as opposed to calling it "Utopia Series 1"

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
A second series seems pretty likely.

https://twitter.com/DramaOn4/status/304009130643951616

@DramaOn4 posted:

Those asking about Series 2... Watch this space. #utopia

I loved it apart from the very end, which I can live with if a second series is coming.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some Strange Flea posted:

Ten o'clock on Channel 4 is now the officially designated Twist Zone. No entry without a twist. Tomorrow's better be good or I'm fuckin' done with this poo poo.

What a horrible name change.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Nothing could have lived up to my expectations, but it was still rather delicious.

Especially the way Dugdale got a child to take home to his wife after all :3: It was the one bright glimmer of hope in the whole thing.
Loved how the original question "Where is Jessica Hyde?" should have made us understand what they were after from the start. Missed Arby, though his voice coming through right at the very end of the credits made me shriek like a little girl (a sound clip from the first episode, saying something about "Don't put the gas away just yet", possibly a little plea for more episodes next year?)

In the end, I suppose I feel a little like Alice, who said of the manuscript "The numbers are boring, I like the art". The plot and script may have gone a little skewed at times, but by god, it was glorious to look at. Those soaring blue skies and the jaundiced, menacing yellows will haunt me for a long time.

Also, a little thought for where they would go with a second series: Jessica is needed for the Janus virus. Janus has two faces. I think they'll need her sibling too...

(edited to put in spoiler tags, think the Russian flu is already destroying my brain cells...)

Irisi fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 20, 2013

TheJanitor
Apr 17, 2007
Ask me about being the strongest janitor since Roger Wilco

McDragon posted:

I however loved the ending. I was getting worried when it looked like the gang were going to 'win' and everyone would live happily ever after, an ending like that wouldn't really fit with the rest of the show. Now it could be watched as a Children of Men prequel, everything fits freaky well if Utopia is set a few years ago. In the film there is a global flu pandemic in 2008 and then 2009 the last babies are born .

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Irisi posted:

spoiling poo poo

Spoiler tags, mate. I just came in here to see if I was going mad because It wasn't on 4od.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
So, regarding Utopia... Was there any truth to the whole Mr. Rabbit story or did Milner just make the whole thing up? It seems like quite an elaborate little tale and I can't really see the point of it. Just a contingency plan to keep the team's focus away from her? What am I missing/forgetting?

The ending was just fine in my opinion, not an enduring classic or anything but perfectly passable. I'll watch the possible second series but I won't be anxiously waiting for it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The first Blackadders mother recently passed.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

jazzyhattrick posted:

Arbys pretty dead mate, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Another series would be good I think. Wasn't really wanting there to be a completely positive ending, but just something good happening too would have helped. As it was it was a bit much for me.

I dunno, I expect endings like that from Black Mirror, but a month building up to something like that just irritates me I guess.