Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005
My girlfriend is getting her scooter vinyl wrapped and needed it driven over to the shop. It was 17F and really windy so I went a little overboard with the layers before I headed out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Smile posted:

My girlfriend is getting her scooter vinyl wrapped and needed it driven over to the shop. It was 17F and really windy so I went a little overboard with the layers before I headed out!

Probably the most gear ever worn on a scooter.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Smile posted:

Nice scoot. God I can't wait for winter to be over.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I saw a guy a few months ago on a little Vino or Jazz or something wearing a leather 2-piece and a Shoei helmet. He got a huge thumbs-up and a bunch of horn toots.

I have to admit that I enjoy watching the hipster girls around here riding scooters in nothing but breezy sundresses and a retro helmet, but man do I cringe whenever I think of what their knees are going to look like if they come off. :unsmigghh:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I saw a guy a few months ago on a little Vino or Jazz or something wearing a leather 2-piece and a Shoei helmet. He got a huge thumbs-up and a bunch of horn toots.

I have to admit that I enjoy watching the hipster girls around here riding scooters in nothing but breezy sundresses and a retro helmet, but man do I cringe whenever I think of what their knees are going to look like if they come off. :unsmigghh:

I once saw a guy on a GN125 with an Arai helmet and a red one-piece dainese leathers, matching gloves and boots. He was being followed by an instructor on a BMW tourer.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Slavvy posted:

I once saw a guy on a GN125 with an Arai helmet and a red one-piece dainese leathers, matching gloves and boots. He was being followed by an instructor on a BMW tourer.

I would often ride 50cc Lambretta clones with pillions, while wearing my Shoei XR, full leathers, Sidi Vertigo Corsas and my preferred Alpine Stars gloves.

It may have had something to do with working part time at a scooter shop, and often getting to the shop on a Saturday after a ride up into the mountains

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

epix posted:

Just bought this '97 Ural Sportsman (2WD), only 4000km on the odometer.

Don't care if it's practical or reliable or anything else, that's a cool bike.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hardly:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The logical extension of this chat is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-D4ojtfI5c

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

epix posted:

gently caress yeah, why are sidecars so awesome and badass?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
out at Walker Valley ORV area with the antiques

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

clutchpuck posted:

out at Walker Valley ORV area with the antiques

Wait a minute! You're a shacker and a CA goon?!!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
poo poo, my cover's blown.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

epix posted:

Great looking Ural . . . Let us know how it rides! It's always been a dream of mine to have a bike that can actually play around in dense New England snow. :3:

Edit: stupid posting from cell phone...

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 12, 2013

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
So my dad bought a school bus. 2002 Goldwing. Seeing as he hasn't taken his MSF yet or have an M endorsement, I had to ride it home.

First impressions, 900 pounds is a lot of bike when your going sub-5 miles per hour.

Stereo owns, this is what I blasted on the way home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJhRNnG65ps.
Got a few funny looks, and a thumbs up at stop lights.

Back rest?!?! Pshhhh, oh wait, this is comfy!

TORQUE! I don't think you really even need first, power all the way through the range.

Low speed turns are weird with how much the handle bars move, but I think you would get use to it pretty quick.

Overall, I like it, I'm going to cruse to the lake tomorrow and take it on this http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/tx_spr4.html
road to my family's lake house.

Bonus picture of my K75 and the dog.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't know if they've closed the loophole but in days of yore you could trim a sticky plate down to leave a 1cm white margin around the L if you were sticking the plate to a clear windscreen.

My RS125SP cost me £4.5k new (15 years ago!), and my parents are neither rich nor dumb. I, however, was spectacularly stupid, not least because that represented about 75% of my take-home pay for a year at the time, and I had to take out a 5-year loan at something like 15% interest to pay for it. Oh, and it was my only means of transport and I needed to use it every day to commute across London.

Derestricted (33 bhp) it would do an indicated 115 though (real-world about 100) - I seriously doubt any of the 4-stroke 125s even get close to that performance, not least because at that state of tune, rebuilding the engine was a service item (little services every 4k *kilometres*, big service including rebuild ever 12.

Mines topped out at 75 downhill once. Indicated, admittedly.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Oh hell I did a thing...

2002 VFR 800 20.8k miles. The battery was low when I went to check it out, but it jumped fine and after some riding it was charged enough to start on it's own. I tested the R/R to make sure it was working and it all checked out. I'm kind of torn, I really like the bike but I traded the DRZ for it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I also did a thing:

1999 YZF R1, 12k on the clock, one low speed fall in the gravel at a track day, otherwise pristine. At least one cylinder isn't idling right, almost certainly a blocked pilot jet because the bike hasn't been run regularly for nearly 3 years.

Hopping on it from the KTM is such a huge difference. The only other i4 I've ridden is a Bandit 600, which I could only liken to a rocket powered arm chair. The first few miles were slow and wobbly while I got the feel for the handling, then suddenly the bike apparently found my frequency because the steering suddenly became telepathic.

Once I got the feel for it I found a police-free stretch of open coast road I decided it was time to give it a twist of the wrist and see what it can d- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!?!!?!!?!!1!!111!!!!!One

In conclusion: :stonk:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 19, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The best part? That bike is about the same speed as a modern 750.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Not sure if I've posted this one in here. 1988 Honda NX125 I picked up a while ago, brother cleaned it up to get it ready to sell.

Wish I could find the panel for that side, no luck so far at least for less than what I paid for the bike.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Finally took the time to take a few decent photos of my Ninja. I love this thing but being 6'6" and 210lbs makes it feel like I'm riding a kids bike. Unless I come across a windfall it's looking like I'm going to sell it and pick up something in a dual sport 650-800cc.

edit: oh god tables breaking everywhere. timg it is.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

ReelBigLizard posted:

In conclusion: :stonk:

Good stuff. Curious how much you paid for that R1? I keep on seeing 1st-gen R1's going for $3500-4500, consistently, despite being ~15 year old bikes.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

the walkin dude posted:

Good stuff. Curious how much you paid for that R1? I keep on seeing 1st-gen R1's going for $3500-4500, consistently, despite being ~15 year old bikes.

That's about what they go for in this condition here too. I... didn't pay that... I did pay some, but it was essentially a gift from my sister's husband because he doesn't have the space to keep it, or the energy to put into getting it running right. When he does have time for a track day, he'll use his gorgeous new 999.

I don't even like sports bikes, and they're horrendous over here because it's all small roads with blind corners, constant yellow lines (our equivalent to a stop sign) and traffic lights. It's supermoto and scooter country. But for what I paid I would have to be monumentally stupid not to take him up on the offer, if only to take it over to France a few weekends out of the year and maybe blast down to a track. Or I dunno, ride to Belgium for lunch or something equally ridiculous.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 19, 2013

StonedogJones
Mar 13, 2006
Took this a couple of weekends ago. Got to love Texas winters.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

StonedogJones posted:

God that's a fantastic bike, good color and exhaust choices too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Oh hell I did a thing...

2002 VFR 800 20.8k miles.

I'm so jealous right now. I've been lusting after a VFR pretty hard lately.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

StonedogJones posted:

What part of Texas? Awesome bike!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

StonedogJones posted:

How hot does your leg get by those pipes? I've never ridden a bike with an exhaust like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
If you look closely you'll see that the forward and middle sections of the silvery exhaust housing are actually sitting about a half inch away from the pipe itself, on little risers -- they form a heat shield that stays relatively cool as the exhaust heats up. My scrambler (below) has a very similar thing going on and the heat shield has never gotten uncomfortably hot. (The headers in front are another story, though :kimchi: )

e: I imagine you could burn yourself if you rode in shorts or something and scooched forwards to the hottest part of the pipe, but in any reasonable circumstance they're pretty harmless

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 20, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

StonedogJones posted:

Is the Arrow the stock exhaust for those bikes, or just a very popular modification? Pretty much every Triumph Scrambler I've seen has that Arrow pipe. It's even shown in the header video clip on the bike's page on their site.

Also I envy your lack of snow.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Collateral Damage posted:

Is the Arrow the stock exhaust for those bikes, or just a very popular modification? Pretty much every Triumph Scrambler I've seen has that Arrow pipe. It's even shown in the header video clip on the bike's page on their site.

I think Arrow just seem to be the go-to pipe for bonnies, it's the same here in the UK. It probably helps that there aren't a whole lot of options for what is a fairly niche bike. A guy I used to work with found out that Triumph also offer their own aftermarket cans for the bonnevilles, which come in cheaper than the Arrows and actually look stock. He had a set of them on his Thruxton and it sounded fantastic.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Arrow and Triumph have a deal where they usually have an Arrow slip-on or full system ready to go when a new bike comes out, it's sold through the dealers as an official accessory, there's a factory ECU reflash for it and there are no warranty complications. Since you can get them when you get the bike, they're the easy choice and the one most people go with. Triumph used to do TORS (Triumph Off-Road System) branding but they've almost entirely gone over to Arrow now.

Dunno about the classic bikes but on the sportier Triumphs the Arrows are really expensive and not necessarily any better looking/sounding/performing than other options. Cheaper than Akrapovics, though.

StonedogJones
Mar 13, 2006

Slavvy posted:

How hot does your leg get by those pipes? I've never ridden a bike with an exhaust like that.

Does not get hot at all, you can reach down and touch the heat shield where your leg rests against. It gets warm, but not hot.

StonedogJones
Mar 13, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Also I envy your lack of snow.

It is just a very popular mod, I had the dealer install it before i picked it up. The stock pipes makes the bike sound a little too much like a sewing machine.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm so jealous right now. I've been lusting after a VFR pretty hard lately.

It's a fantastic ride. I haven't been on anything with more than 40 horsepower in about 3 years. It's so easy to be doing 80-90 and not even notice. I'm having issues adjusting to the touchy throttle and hydraulic clutch, but I just need more seat time to sort it all out. I like the Vtec on it, it's kind of like a baby powerband.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

NitroSpazzz posted:

Not sure if I've posted this one in here. 1988 Honda NX125 I picked up a while ago, brother cleaned it up to get it ready to sell.

Wish I could find the panel for that side, no luck so far at least for less than what I paid for the bike.

this thing rules

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

maxe posted:

this thing rules

It is an awesome little bike, if it didn't top out at 60mph (downhill with a tailwind) I would be hanging onto it.

If I can't get what I want for it I need to see what jugs can bolt onto that engine for a bit more displacement.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
So I rode from Long Island NY to Florida and back this week on my '12 Street Triple R. Spark notes: It was cold, I blew my rear tire at 80 mph in Florida, and I-95 is a long road. I'll add some pics later tonight or tomorrow.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The -95 corridor from the north end of the Cross-Bronx Expressway all the way about to Richmond, especially on a weekday, is the worst route I've ever driven. Especially the Beltline around DC. You can swing inland on 81? in PA and despite going out of the way I think it gets you further south faster, since you skip all the cities.

There's also a route going through Highway 1? In Delaware that skips a lot of the -95 garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've had it for a year, this week. Before I leave for Texas, I am going to re-paint the plastics gold.