Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

GNU Order posted:

God drat it, guilty as charged. They even got the Breaking Bad part right

Me too, but with BSG. It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Onion's Tips For Not Accidentally Murdering Your Girlfriend

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

This is loving phenomenal.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Tips on how to save the USPS

quote:

The U.S. Postal Service announced this week that it would discontinue regular mail delivery on Saturdays, a move officials say will save the struggling agency $2 billion per year. Here are other measures the post office is taking to balance its budget:

Shrewd new ad campaign preying on people’s desire to lick things
Looting any mail resembling a birthday card from a grandparent
Now accepting pipe bombs and anthrax for regular delivery
Eliminating all zip codes containing the number 5
Offering a free largemouth bass mailbox with the purchase of a USPS Premium account
Getting into human trafficking
Rebranding the agency as a hip new company known only as “The Service”
Launching new “Please, Anyone, For The Love Of God, Mail Something” series of commercials

Also this wasn't from The Onion, but it's still awesome
Earth Celebrates as Wayne LaPierre Single-Handedly Diverts Deadly Meteor with Bushmaster Rifle, 100 Round Drum

e: whoops, link fixed

Amused to Death has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Feb 19, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Swing and a miss, friend.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Kate Middleton Shows Off Baby Bump
That picture. :stonk:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Man, they've really got it in for the royal family.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An often overlooked source of funny stuff is the AV Club Newswire. For example today in an article about some Bruce Lee movie that is purposefully historically inaccurate:

quote:

“Stephen Rivele and Chris Wilkinson have taken a little-known chapter in the life of Bruce Lee and used it as a jumping-off point for a bold, exciting story about the making of an international legend,” said producer Michael London in a statement, before his own story suddenly got much bolder and way more exciting after he turned into a werewolf, slaughtered a half-dozen people in Central Park, then was driven by an angry mob to seek refuge in a hidden sea cave. It was there that, after years of lonely seclusion, in which he was forced to imagine buddy-cop stories using the fragments of coral that washed up on the shoreline, producer-turned-werewolf Michael London eventually met and fell in love with a mermaid.

“But my darling, when the moon is full, our mer-wolf children will surely drown trying to devour their own tails,” were-producer Michael London told his mermaid bride one day, years after his monstrous transformation had rendered him unable to make up a bunch of poo poo about Bruce Lee’s life. “Hush now, dear,” Michael London’s mermaid wife said, slapping him with her fins in a soothing way she knew he liked. Then producer Michael London began to make gentle love to her fish-hole.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nucleic Acids posted:

Man, they've really got it in for the royal family.
I think it's a hatred for the paparazzi surrounding them more than it is a political statement, but maybe the writers of The Onion really are that fundamentally opposed to the very concept of a monarchy.

In any case, I Slapped A Crying Child And Called Him A friend of the family And I’m The Bad Guy?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think it's a hatred for the paparazzi surrounding them more than it is a political statement, but maybe the writers of The Onion really are that fundamentally opposed to the very concept of a monarchy.
They might also be writing these pieces because they're funny.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

They might also be writing these pieces because they're funny.
Yes, but why is it funny? The people at The Onion are artists. Everything they do has a point.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

This is absolutely masterful. It just keeps going and going and right when you think you're at the end, you glance at your browser's scroll bar and realize you're still only halfway through. It's just this immaculate, pitch-perfect econ-themed riff on every single misfit frat comedy in the last 40 years.

Thank you PYF, for P-ing my new F.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Supervisor Encourages Interns To Take On More Responsibilities Of 3 Full-Time Staff Members

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

World Doesn't Even Know Who To Admire Any More After Tom Hanks Murders 5

Just when you think they've said all there is to be said.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

New Pain-Inducing Advil Created For People Who Just Want To Feel Something, Anything

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Republicans Reach Out To Women With New 'No Punch Pretty Lady' Bill

The dude playing Rep. Arthur Spelman is clearly having the time of his life.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
This is beautiful.

Get Me To A Hospital, I Think I Just Swallowed Some Venom! by A Cobra

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yes, but why is it funny? The people at The Onion are artists. Everything they do has a point.

Some of you all are PBFing pretty hard. It's funny because it's a juxtaposition of the perfect image of royalty vs giving birth to demon spawn. It's not that hard.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Area Man Panics After Accidentally 'Liking' 381 Of His Ex-Girlfriend’s Facebook Photos

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Michael Jordan Celebrates 50th Birthday With Last People He Hasn't Completely Alienated Yet

I'm surprised they didn't throw in a jab about him getting paid hundreds of millions to endorse shoes made by people paid like 7 cents an hour, but whatever.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Saddam Hussein Complaining To Other Angels About All The Jews In Heaven

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Michael Jordan Celebrates 50th Birthday With Last People He Hasn't Completely Alienated Yet

I'm surprised they didn't throw in a jab about him getting paid hundreds of millions to endorse shoes made by people paid like 7 cents an hour, but whatever.

UPDATE: Furious Michael Jordan wanted loving ice cream cake

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sources: Hackers Vandalized Drudge Report For Last 15 Years

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haha, beautiful. The last line is great, as always.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

The "incredible last line" thing happens so often there needs to be some kind of term for it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

TITY BOI posted:

The "incredible last line" thing happens so often there needs to be some kind of term for it.

Perhaps "punchline"?

E: Or is that :thejoke:

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Carthag posted:

Perhaps "punchline"?

E: Or is that :thejoke:

Punchline would imply (to me) that the rest of the article is a setup for the last line, but they usually come completely out of left field.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well in newswriting, the last few lines are sometimes called the "kicker", and it's supposed to capture the general mood of what the reader's supposed to take away from reading the whole article. In many Onion pieces, that's probably the best way to describe the last sentence, but not always.

Defeated Man Victorious

quote:

The defeated man will begin his second term on Jan. 20, 2013, when he will again be triumphantly sworn in as president of a defeated nation.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The latest Kelly:

It figures that he would be one of those assholes that grab fistfuls of coins from the penny tray.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brother Jonathan posted:

The latest Kelly:

It figures that he would be one of those assholes that grab fistfuls of coins from the penny tray.

The best Kellys are the ones that aren't political and him just drawing about something that annoys him in his daily life. Like this one or the one about him complaining video rental places don't carry tapes anymore.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Echo Chamber posted:

Well in newswriting, the last few lines are sometimes called the "kicker",

We can call it a kick line.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

How about "the stinger?" (blatantly stolen from MST3K)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

How about, just assume it's going to happen and just be amazed when it doesn't.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This article still has my favorite last line of all time.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Representative Wants To See More Kids Online has the best last line of any of their videos. When I first watched it, I rewinded it to make sure I had actually heard that.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man this one brought me to tears:

Fun toy banned because of three stupid dead kids

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
This is indeed one of their all-time greatest articles.

Another oldie-but-goodie: Area Homosexual Saves Four From Fire

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Every time I read this I think about the time my dad thought it would be a cool ideas to work with 11 year old me in my attempt to build a crossbow. We drafted plans and went to the hardware store and spent weeks building the drat thing. I had it for all of 5 minutes before I punched a quarter inch hole in the garage door with a plastic GI Joe missile from 5 feet away. Only then did it dawn on him that 'holy poo poo this might not have been a good idea'

RIP crossbow

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This article still has my favorite last line of all time.
I'm partial to this one, and its a drat funny article to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Had a better day today because I remembered the headline-only "African-American Neighborhood Terrorized By Ask Murderer."