Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Been a while since I've posted pics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 16, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
That is one seriously chill bunny.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I love him! He looks like Bitsy but acts like Paterson!

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Some seriously great bunnies chillin' on this page.

Made it two nights before I came back to see Juppo. She can tell I've been seeing my mate's Staffy behind her back I think, won't have owt to do with me so it's a long shower and a hunt for clean clothes. I've also renamed her 'Snippy the Wonderbun' as she (inadvertantly) acted as wire clippers whilst I was splicing some cable earlier.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Anyone here have experience bottle-raising rabbits or hares? I have one right now (baby jack rabbit) who is doing great except for not gaining weight, but he's super active and eats like a champ, so I'm increasing his feeding amount today. I have a lot of experience with wildlife rehab and raising various neonates, but this is the first baby season I've lived somewhere with a lot of jack rabbits and this month they've just started coming in to my vet hospital. We are the only thing approaching a wildlife rehab in the county, and by "we" I mostly mean me. Unfortunately, my track record with wild rabbits so far has been dismal, mostly due to the fact that adults are only ever caught by the public for a really good reasons (ie, they are already dying), and the babies are notoriously fragile. The first couple babies I saw died within a couple hours of intake, but this little guy is going strong 48 hours out, necessitating that I learn what the hell I'm doing.

So far he weighs 110 grams before feeding this morning, down from 114g 2 days ago. I fed 5ml KMR three times yesterday, and based on him losing weight I upped it to 7ml this morning, which he took no problem. Pooping and peeing on his own. Very active and disgustingly cute. If anyone else has experience with baby hares, I'd appreciate some input:

I read birth weight for hares is generally about 100grams--does that sound right? Does that make this guy only a few days old? Another source said more like 70grams at birth.
I know in the wild they only get fed once or twice per day, but KMR is supposed to be less rich than rabbit milk so they need more. This leads to more frequent feeding, as they can only take so much volume at a time. Does my current feeding schedule/amounts seem reasonable?

In thanks, have a picture:

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Oh Jesus, I think that my brain might be imploding from how cute that bunny is. Unfortunately I know next to gently caress all about feeding little rabbits, but my thoughts are with you.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Apparently hares are born with all their fur and with their eyes open, so what I said before is completely wrong. Who knew?

However, my wife did say that goat kid formula more closely matches the milk produced by regular rabbits, so it may be better to try that.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 18, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

So much hatred concentrated in such a tiny package.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ITS SO FLUFFY IM GONNA DIE!!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I returned home after a week's abscene to my bunny. She ran up, popped on my feet, then dashed off. I think she was showing me a new trick because she climbed into the play tunnel I bought her earlier that she refused to play with before.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Hey people, when Easter rolls round and loads of people are buying baby rabbits that they're going to mistreat and dump, remember you're all giving your own rabbits a life that's a thousand or million times better than theirs. Even if you're too busy to give them all of your attention or if you don't feed them as often as they seem to think you should. They have no idea how good they have it!

Obligatory:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

I want to use that bunny as a pillow

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pseudonordic posted:

I want to use that bunny as a pillow
"A man was found today with his entire face scratched off. Authorities have only a single lead in the case, and the suspect is described as 'adorable.'"

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I'm assuming since I'm actually taking care of this little guy, its okay to post the pictures.

my foster bunny, Tenatively Petr, but I call him Shagohod. Yes, from Metal Gear.

edit: I was using the paper towel to clean up where he was spraying pee all over the tarp, but of course, that is unacceptable and the towel must be punished for its attempted cleaning actions. Meaning he stuck his head out through the bars and grabbed the towel and just chewed the hell out of it.

Lobsterboy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 20, 2013

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Here I've finally managed to capture Button, the Rabbit of Fury. growling at me. You can just hear it when I stick my hand in the cage holding the food.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K7om6BWL8k

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Okay that rabbit is really not in a very good place. :( He's not (just) being a dick, he's visibly stressed out. You did notice he's trying to hide when you approach? Not sure what the reason is although I'd guess it had a lot to do with the fact that his cage is tiny and he has nowhere to hide. He'll be feeling very "exposed" up on that dresser which will be causing him stress. And a rabbit's cage should be his own domain, meaning he won't like it at all if you stick your whole arm in there. An improvement on that would be moving the food dish closer to the entrance.

I'd apologize for lecturing but that really is an unhappy and visibly stressed out rabbit and I don't think you really considered whether or not you'd be able to properly care for one before getting it. Rabbits need a safe place they can retreat to and room to run around in. Even the salt lick, come on, like 10 seconds of google and you'd know those are completely redundant and possibly harmful.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Agreed with the previous poster. That rabbit is seriously stressed out and very unhappy.

Move the food dish closer to the door, find a way to give him a little hiding spot in his cage (some coroplast works well) and get him off the dresser. Rabbits do *not* like to be stuck up high. He needs to be able to get in and out of his cage on his own so he can have a safe place to hide.

Also, yeah, get rid of the salt lick ASAP.

If you're going to get pets, please take care of them properly...

grack fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 20, 2013

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I had my rabbit up on a dresser, because it allowed me to keep his cage door open (he liked to stand up on the edge and stick his head out) without escaping. The keys there were 1. He had a wooden house in which he could hide when he wanted to be under cover, so he wasn't that exposed, and 2. He had a cleaner cage with a litter box.

You should consider getting a house or covering for part of the cage, and finding out where he uses the bathroom and putting in a litter box rather than just lining the cage with whatever... confetti stuff that is. Generally, rabbits will pee in the same place every time (assuming they're spayed/neutered and thus not spraying pee everywhere), and will usually drop pellets there too, except for the ones they leave to mark territory. If you put the box wherever it is going now, it should litter train quickly. And if you place their pellets and any dirty litter in there, they'll associate it with their scent and start using it.

Also, how long have you had him and how much do you handle him or let him out of his cage to run around? He doesn't seem very comfortable around you.

None of this is unfixable, just work on his cage setup and spend more time with him so he can adjust to you.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 20, 2013

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Bloody rabbit is punishing me for being away. She keeps jumping into the gap between my bed and the wardrobe, stomping and honking til I go to see where she is, and then leaping right into my face and back onto the bed.

Also echoing what my fellow bunny-slaves above me said; get that cage on the floor, let him out and try not to intrude on his space. Mine was same with her previous owner, hence why he gave her to me. Little fuckers love and need a good run about

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

happyflurple posted:

Also echoing what my fellow bunny-slaves above me said; get that cage on the floor, let him out and try not to intrude on his space.
Before you start letting him out, you need to deal with some of the other issues. If you let him out now he's going to be destructive and badly behaved, and very tough to get back into his cage. You're going to want to be able to handle your rabbit and keep him from running away and being hostile to you before you let him out. Get rid of the salt lick and the stuff all over the floor, then give him a house, a litter box, some small toys he can pick up, and a hanging hay dispenser (timothy hay rather than alfalfa, since you're giving him pellets). The hanging toys and water bottle are a good start, but you need to work on the floor.

What room is your rabbit in? Is it the same room you spend most of your time in? You need to be spending a lot of time around the rabbit even if you're not actively playing with him or petting him during that time, so consider moving the cage to someplace where he can see/smell you more. Since he's on a dresser, leave that door open. Just having it open will give him more space to stretch and explore. Spend more time with him. Try holding him a couple times a day so he gets used to it. Once he has a good cage setup he should start to be friendlier to you within a couple weeks. Once he starts sticking his head out the door or coming up to it to be petted when you're nearby. Then you can find a rabbit-safe room to let him out in. Move his litter box, house, and food bowl out with him when you let him out, so he will have some familiar things and won't be too freaked out. Give him about an hour out of his cage. If he seems well-behaved, you can eventually move the cage down to the floor and let him stay out more, as well as explore the rest of your house/apartment.

Just remember that rabbits can get into very small spaces, so check around for places where he could hide and chew wires, etc.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ManiacClown posted:

Here I've finally managed to capture Button, the Rabbit of Fury. growling at me. You can just hear it when I stick my hand in the cage holding the food.

Cilantro grunts exactly like that when she's 1) pissed about something or 2) senses a threat. Once she's lunged at the threat and found it to be me or my wife, she usually puts her head down for grooming. Unless she's mad, in which case we get bun-slapped.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

xx

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ManiacClown posted:

Yeah the little guy needs like, at least 3x more space than that teeny cage allows. And please tell me this isn't the kind of cage with a wire bottom. :(

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I figure bunny people would appreciate more baby jack rabbit pictures, so I took some of the one Chaco posted earlier.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's your plan once you get him old enough to be independent?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's your plan once you get him old enough to be independent?

Release him back near where he was found.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HelloSailorSign posted:

I figure bunny people would appreciate more baby jack rabbit pictures, so I took some of the one Chaco posted earlier.

Maddest. Bunny. ever.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

HelloSailorSign posted:

"When I grow up I'm going to make the Monty python rabbit look like a tame house bunny."

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

HelloSailorSign posted:

Why are my ears so drat big I can hear everything.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just want to say that getting Ella spayed was the greatest thing EVER. She's stopped pooping outside of her box so much, and she smells a lot less like... chicken soup. Also not humping my arm at nigh, which is great. 'Cuz that poo poo was getting kinda creepy. But she's still affectionate and fun. As I type she's attempting to burrow into my shirt and beg for pumpkin seed

ManiacClown, please take our harsh criticisim and move your bun. I have a great idea for a cheap bunny house that I used for Ella when she first came home! The box that budweiser longnecks comes in makes for a perfect hide once you stuff a towel in there, and fits amazingly.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 22, 2013

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Suspect Bucket posted:

ManiacClown, please take our harsh criticisim and move your bun. I have a great idea for a cheap bunny house that I used for Ella when she first came home! The box that budweiser longnecks comes in makes for a perfect hide once you stuff a towel in there, and fits amazingly.

To clarify a couple things, first, Button seems to dislike me specifically. The girl we got her from says she just doesn't really seem to like men. She's fine with my wife and loves our daughter. Second, that bedding isn't her usual bedding. I'd simply run out of the usual stuff and forgotten it, only rediscovering that fact while I was cleaning her cage. I typically use that brown Carefresh recycled paper bedding. I just hadn't yet gotten to get a new bag, but I did the day after I posted that video and cleaned the cage. It's not usually like that.

As for her cage, it's a 40"x17" cage, so it's roomier than it appears in that video. Looking in Petco the other day I didn't see a bigger one there, so I don't know where around here I'd even be able to get one, much less where we'd be able to keep a bigger cage. I do plan on giving her a little house of some kind to go in there, but I have to make sure it's no unfinished wood as my wife has sinus problems, which unfinished wood aggravate. With that beer box, what are the dimensions of that? I don't drink so I'm not going to waste money buying the beer, but I could see if I can find a suitable box at work. I've got her cage on the floor right now and, indeed, she is a lot happier, which is apparent because she seems to hate me less. Also, no, the cage bottom isn't wire. It's solid plastic.

She's very good when we let her out as long as we keep her away from any wires. I actually constructed a screen to go in front of our TV stand so she can't crawl through it and blocked off other sensitive areas for her to be able to get in. We live in a trailer so we've really only got the living room for her to run around in, so we lock the front door when she's out just in case one of our friends who tend to just give a pro forma knock and come in stops by. We do love our pretty little hate machine and want her to be happy, so thank you all for the advice. I suspected she might be displeased that she was up on the dresser, so now I'm going to see about keeping her either in front of it or in front of our TV stand, which is where she is right now.

Edit: Oh, and as for timothy hay, her food has it in there and I give it to her by hand, so she does get it.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 22, 2013

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Don't forget about moving the food dish. It'll cut down on a lot of the hatred.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

DS at Night posted:

Don't forget about moving the food dish. It'll cut down on a lot of the hatred.

I did, though I doubt your claim. :colbert:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ManiacClown posted:

I did, though I doubt your claim. :colbert:

Its true. You are basically reaching into their house and they cna be REALLY territorial. Havin the bowl in the front so you make minimal entry into their area is imporant.

You should also never reach in there to take them out. If you do they sense they have no safe space and will become more aggressive. If you want to handle her let her come out of the cage on her own and try to make contact with her.

Thats one of the mistakes we made with our rabbits early on. We are better about it now.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Its true. You are basically reaching into their house and they cna be REALLY territorial. Havin the bowl in the front so you make minimal entry into their area is imporant.

You should also never reach in there to take them out. If you do they sense they have no safe space and will become more aggressive. If you want to handle her let her come out of the cage on her own and try to make contact with her.

Thats one of the mistakes we made with our rabbits early on. We are better about it now.

The only time I get Cilantro out of her cage is when she's already run away from me 19 times and she's sick and it's time to go to the vet. She might be starting GI stasis, but she appears to hate being picked up more than dying.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro grunts exactly like that when she's 1) pissed about something or 2) senses a threat. Once she's lunged at the threat and found it to be me or my wife, she usually puts her head down for grooming. Unless she's mad, in which case we get bun-slapped.

It helps if you say something before you get close to her.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

ManiacClown posted:

As for her cage, it's a 40"x17" cage, so it's roomier than it appears in that video. Looking in Petco the other day I didn't see a bigger one there, so I don't know where around here I'd even be able to get one, much less where we'd be able to keep a bigger cage.

If you need a cage that works in small spaces, the NIC cubes people use to build them can be really handy to custom fit it to limited space. You can still get them online through Walmart (Site to Store saves on expensive shipping). I've also found them at Bed Bath & Beyond locally which skips any inconvenience of ordering and waiting. One box of ~16 pieces sells for about $20 from both. Along with some zip ties you can make a versatile and really secure cage/pen setup. I had to relocate my two bunnies to a closet for a month or so last year and this really made the best of the space I was limited to.

You could even put the grids to use by attaching them to the cage you already have and adding on a little extra play area outside of it, it's easy to zip tie together a bunny corral (basically an X-pen) that you can temporarily attach to the cage with carabiners or keychain type clips and easily fold up and store when not in use. It makes for a lot more low effort fun time for the little ball of hate when you aren't able to give undivided attention to prevent destruction.

Edit: Forgot to link the cubes: Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Black-Wire-Storage-Cubes-Set-of-4/5005199 Bed Bath & Beyond: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16719773

The337th fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 23, 2013

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

xx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

They really are great if you're a bit emotionally buggered. I'm pretty stressed and depressed right now and having Juppo is a godsend even if she is evil. Just got back from my week away and she's having a grand old time digging in her towel pile