Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The other problem is that a lot of the laws as set in the comics are there in order to provide a satirical take on policing or aspects of the real world. Dredd busting a sugar dealing ring might work fine in a comic book setting but as a live action movie will just come across as silly.

Same with the bum, had Dredd specifically sentenced the guy for loitering/begging immediately then audience sympathy for Dredd evaporates really drat fast. But giving him a single chance to move on makes him more a "brutal and harsh lawman for good reason but doesn't seem THAT unfair."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nutsngum posted:

The other problem is that a lot of the laws as set in the comics are there in order to provide a satirical take on policing or aspects of the real world. Dredd busting a sugar dealing ring might work fine in a comic book setting but as a live action movie will just come across as silly.

Same with the bum, had Dredd specifically sentenced the guy for loitering/begging immediately then audience sympathy for Dredd evaporates really drat fast. But giving him a single chance to move on makes him more a "brutal and harsh lawman for good reason but doesn't seem THAT unfair."

Or arresting a ring of people who are selling 2000 AD comics. The early stories are really silly.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

NESguerilla posted:

Didn't you just say you hated it? Aslo, how is it libertarian in any way shape or form?

I never said I hated it. I said I had preconceived notions of what to expect and they were fulfilled. I can see how that could be misunderstood though. As for the libertarian thing, I've got nothing. It was a flippant post made early in the morning right after watching the movie and was not very well thought out.

For a bit more content, I thought Lena Headey did a great job, I didn't realize it was her until the credits at the end. I also loved the decision to reference 'Isocubes' several times without ever explaining what they were.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Nutsngum posted:

The other problem is that a lot of the laws as set in the comics are there in order to provide a satirical take on policing or aspects of the real world. Dredd busting a sugar dealing ring might work fine in a comic book setting but as a live action movie will just come across as silly."

In the movie, they were arresting people for the crime of bullet time.
It is very silly.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

wyoming posted:

It is very silly.
Hardly more silly than the current war on the use of marijuana, or the smuggling of cigarettes and the like. It almost doesn't matter what the illegal trade is in, only that it's kept operating through violence, intimidation, and ill-gotten gains...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

wyoming posted:

It is very silly.

Bullet Crime.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

wyoming posted:

It is very silly.
I feel like this is a joke, but I can't resist pointing out The War On Drugs(tm) like Kegluneq did.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

Hard to see where they'd find the time to carry out a Crime Blitz, though. "17 murders, five rapes, 23 robberies... nah, let's take a squad of Judges and rip some schlub's apartment to pieces looking for overdue library books and non-synthetic coffee."

Illegal coffee is a crime, you criminal. 12 months in the iso-cubes.

Dan Didio posted:

Bullet Crime.

Don't do the bullet crime if you can't do the bullet time.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 16, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KoRMaK posted:

I feel like this is a joke, but I can't resist pointing out The War On Drugs(tm) like Kegluneq did.

It's more "The War, On Drugs", really.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

effectual posted:

Don't do the bullet crime if you can't do the bullet time.

I think we have the tag-line for our spec script.

EDIT: I'd like to think that 'isocubes' is a portmanteau that anyone could parse and probably figure out what they mean from the implication.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

EDIT: I'd like to think that 'isocubes' is a portmanteau that anyone could parse and probably figure out what they mean from the implication.

I'd really like to as well.

:smith:

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
The blu-ray finally gets released around these parts in about four days... Can't wait! Haven't been this excited to see a movie again, after seeing at the cinema, for a long time!

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
It's obviously a futuristic cooling system to keep your pimms refreshingly cold on a hot post apocalyptic summer afternoon.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I completely missed that this movie was coming out. I saw a poster for it at one local theater just after it was released, and it was gone the week later. I saw it bombed, assumed it was terrible.

Rented it last night. Loved it. Checked the reviews, generally positive.

Whoever ran the marketing for this failed, hard. I assume a sequel is out of the question, given how it did in theaters.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Maneck posted:

I completely missed that this movie was coming out. I saw a poster for it at one local theater just after it was released, and it was gone the week later. I saw it bombed, assumed it was terrible.

Whoever ran the marketing for this failed, hard. I assume a sequel is out of the question, given how it did in theaters.

Just have to wait and see. Its doing very well in the rental and home video market so that may drive a sequel to be made.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Payndz posted:

Hard to see where they'd find the time to carry out a Crime Blitz, though. "17 murders, five rapes, 23 robberies... nah, let's take a squad of Judges and rip some schlub's apartment to pieces looking for overdue library books and non-synthetic coffee."
You might be interested in this lecture by a lawyer who says you should never talk to the cops (if you don't need their help). One of the things they say is that there are so many laws in America's lawbooks that nobody can go through the day without breaking one. A cop can shadow you all day and eventually he'll see you do something that justifies an arrest. BTW, in Mega-City One, is there a right to remain silent?

Another book, Codes of the Underworld, says that Italy has so many laws that everybody is a sinner and thus bonds based on blackmail are rife in Italy.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 18, 2013

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I am re-watching the movie yet again and one bit has always stood out as what I'd presume to be an attempt to make Dredd more sympathetic than his comic version. During the opening chase, Dredd refers to someone as "an innocent" rather than as "a citizen".

It is a bizarre difference and I haven't spotted anything that follows it up in the rest of the movie except, possibly, Dredd not arresting the homeless guy immediately.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Baron Bifford posted:

BTW, in Mega-City One, is there a right to remain silent?
Not if you have information relating to a crime. Dredd arrests quite a lot of people for disclosing information slightly too late for it to be wholly useful.

rejutka posted:

I am re-watching the movie yet again and one bit has always stood out as what I'd presume to be an attempt to make Dredd more sympathetic than his comic version. During the opening chase, Dredd refers to someone as "an innocent" rather than as "a citizen".

It is a bizarre difference and I haven't spotted anything that follows it up in the rest of the movie except, possibly, Dredd not arresting the homeless guy immediately.
It's unusual phrasing for Dredd, but in the comic he is quite often sympathetic to the everyday citizens of Mega City One. So long as they aren't guilty of a crime, he'll put himself at risk to ensure their safety. Of course, if that means putting them in a cube (iso or psycho) he most certainly will!

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rejutka posted:

I thought the guy referred to as "an innocent" got hit because he was jaywalking, he was wearing headphones while walking, and didn't look both ways before crossing the street, which would make him a criminal.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I thought the guy referred to as "an innocent" got hit because he was jaywalking, he was wearing headphones while walking, and didn't look both ways before crossing the street, which would make him a criminal.

I don't remember all those details but that'so funny if true. Still, I don't think Dredd had time to see that and even if he had he wouldn't approve vigilante punshment, especially since those aren't execution worthy.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Yep. I presume it's a bit of dialogue from a version when they were trying to make Dredd more sympathetic and it got overlooked or something by the time they filmed it.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rejutka posted:

Yep. I presume it's a bit of dialogue from a version when they were trying to make Dredd more sympathetic and it got overlooked or something by the time they filmed it.

I wonder if that was put in there as satire or not. It's a very quick and minor part of the scene...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He was innocent because Dredd wasn't arresting him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's not there so we can see if the terminology of Mega City One is 1:1 accurate to the comics. It's there so we can see that Dredd leaves a guy destroyed by a car to his own device until help arrives instead of staying with him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

yeah, isn't it true that Dredd doesn't care if the victims of other crimes are criminals? It could still be manslaughter. Dredd would prosecute the jaywalker also if he was still alive. "innocent" is a very strange word choice, but I thought it referred to people who got hit by stray gunfire. I really need to watch this again.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

moths posted:

Yeah I took it like that too. I don't like the "everyone is a criminal for some petty reason" interpretation of mega city one law, I like the idea that judges literally make the law with their presence. If judge says you're innocent, you're innocent. If he says you're a criminal, you're a criminal.

Like Andersons decision with the hacker at the end. Dredd lets him go in accordance with Andersons ruling before questioning why she made the call she did.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 19, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

rejutka posted:

I can't get the disc to play on my PC, but I thought the pedestrian was either hit deliberately or only hit because the perps were driving recklessly.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I wonder if that was put in there as satire or not. It's a very quick and minor part of the scene...

The satire is that the erratic driving and shooting out the window at the Judge pursuing them was already putting countless lives at risk, but Dredd doesn't bother to take an aggressive "I'm taking them down!" approach until they've actually killed someone.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Tripwyre posted:

The satire is that the erratic driving and shooting out the window at the Judge pursuing them was already putting countless lives at risk, but Dredd doesn't bother to take an aggressive "I'm taking them down!" approach until they've actually killed someone.
Yea I was thinking that too. What about all those cars they shot up?

Maybe the academy teaches judges, as part of their judiciary power of interpreting the law, a sort of institutionalized corruption. Make the report sound the best for stacking up as much charges against the suspect as possible.

It's interesting as gently caress though that someone here pointed out "jaywalking, not looking both ways, etc" because until this thread I didn't make that connection relative to how it was any different than the vagrant.

e: Actually I guess it's not that different than present day Police in the US.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 19, 2013

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I attended a small Q&A with Paul Leonard Morgan today & he revealed that he closely collaborated on the soundtrack with Alex Garland - who was constantly on him, & it took 3 months to make which was way longer than normal. They showed the ending of Dredd to showcase some of his music, major spoiler alert there. :(

His next project is Despicable Me 2 so that'll be different.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Maneck posted:

I really enjoyed Dredd, but didn't see it at the cinema. I think in the UK a huge part of the reason for it being overlooked was because it was only released in 3D, which a lot of people are so sick of by now, and Total Recall was out at the same time. I went and saw Total Recall because I'm a cheapass and didn't want to pay the extra ££ for the 3D movie, but Dredd was the much better film.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BisonDollah posted:

I attended a small Q&A with Paul Leonard Morgan today & he revealed that he closely collaborated on the soundtrack with Alex Garland - who was constantly on him, & it took 3 months to make which was way longer than normal. They showed the ending of Dredd to showcase some of his music, major spoiler alert there. :(

His next project is Despicable Me 2 so that'll be different.

God that's a good soundtrack. I'm listening to it right now, that horrible transistor fuzz on the guitars is fantastic.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I saw this the other night at a friend's house and was really amazed at how much I liked it. I was one of the rare films I've seen which seemed to be made for me, like they reached into my head and put in all the stuff I like to see. They made decisions that weren't obvious and even though there were a lot of action tropes there it was the way it was handled that made it great. It would have been so easy to mess it up by doing an origin story or forcibly injecting a bland Hollywood guy to provide some lovely sexual tension and at every opportunity they took the high road and made a really beautiful, compact, engaging film. So like most of my favorite things it failed and left me despairing of a sequel I'd actually want to see.

And I can't watch the bluray on my player because the firmware needs updating but the update won't work. Injustice! I need to get on the phone with Philips customer support.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Great movie, but how come when that bad guy had Anderson in the elevator and said "You're hosed" she didn't jump into his mind and make him wet his pants again?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Great movie, but how come when that bad guy had Anderson in the elevator and said "You're hosed" she didn't jump into his mind and make him wet his pants again?

Well, we're not sure how the whole mind thing works exactly. So we'd have to assume that there would be some chance of him simply pulling the trigger on her. It doesn't freeze her victims into place, unable to move. Apparently.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Because then she wouldn't get a cool action scene, and instead would just escape by doing the exact same thing she did earlier and it would be super boring and uninteresting.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Because then she wouldn't get a cool action scene, and instead would just escape by doing the exact same thing she did earlier and it would be super boring and uninteresting.

Plus, the fact that Kay was in handcuffs and in the same room as Dredd the first time likely made him feel more overwhelmed, making it easier for Anderson to win a mental battle with him. In the case we're discussing, he was perfectly safe while Anderson had a gun to her head, not to mention he had already experienced her powers and would have known what was coming. It's just speculation, but that would likely make her unable to properly focus.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

BreakAtmo posted:

Plus, the fact that Kay was in handcuffs and in the same room as Dredd the first time likely made him feel more overwhelmed, making it easier for Anderson to win a mental battle with him. In the case we're discussing, he was perfectly safe while Anderson had a gun to her head, not to mention he had already experienced her powers and would have known what was coming. It's just speculation, but that would likely make her unable to properly focus.

She could have also been spooked and panicked from having a gun to her head, not to mention how quickly the whole situation happened anyway. There are all number of reasons.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Yeah, it's kind of silly to extrapolate from the mind torture scene that she can just up and mind blast a guy to his knees at the drop of a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Not to mention that playing mind games doesn't change the physical situation. What if Kay gets tense and unconsciously clenches a fist?

• Locked thread