Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!
Went bird-shooting for the first time ever a couple weeks back, two shots I really liked from the day:

_DSC3854 by Tarradax, on Flickr

_DSC3721 by Tarradax, on Flickr

The latter I shot at 1/30 on a friend's advice, I really loved the outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

BeanTaco posted:

I went to a gannet colony the other day.

There were many.

Oooh, that's a cool shot.

InternetJunky, those shots are great, and kinda hilariously awesome. I anthropomorphize birds even though I'm not supposed to, and I can't help but imagine the bird going "yaaaaay vole! *smash* "what?!" "oh, gotta go!"

To contribute to the birding (and wildlife) ethics conversation, I feel terrible for the folks who get sabotaged by doofuses who show up, scare birds, and leave. I've met some birders (only some - I've met a lot great birder people too) who are very unethical outdoor visitors; off trail, rude, entitled. Ugh. That said, I hope that folks like us (or who I presume we are) can show outdoor noobs that birds rock, and while being outside in nature they are some of the cool things you can see and not disturb. :)

Sorry about your AZ wildlife preserve experience dude. That's depressing.

My spouse and I went to Bosque del Apache yesterday, which was beautiful and un-depressing even though I had managed to miss most of the sandhill cranes.

Edit: ah poo poo, I posted without pictures, gimme a sec.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ghost Cactus posted:

Sorry about your AZ wildlife preserve experience dude. That's depressing.

I'm going to hit it up again but on a weekday this time. That might not solve the making GBS threads hobo problem but it's a big park. :v:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm going to hit it up again but on a weekday this time. That might not solve the making GBS threads hobo problem but it's a big park. :v:

One of the places we go in our christmas bird count territory has, over the years, turned into a fairly large homeless encampment. Part of me resents that the place is getting more and more disturbed every year, but then I always feel like an rear end for begrudging someone moving up in the world by getting walls made of scrap plywood instead of just a tarp.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
A couple eagles

and a Varied Thrush cross-posted from Critter Quest

These were both out on Cape Alava, WA

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I'm jealous of that varied thrush; it's beautiful.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My days off are weekdays. I think it's better.

I'm back with (too many) pictures from yesterday!

Morningtime hawk/bueto thing

DSC_4445 edited by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Sassy Great Blue Heron with breakfast

DSC_4552 edited by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Northern Pintails are beautiful

DSC_4687 edited by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_4682 edited by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Raven

DSC_5017 edited by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

We drove through a wildlife viewing loop and scared off a coyote momentarily; the ravens were happy to eat the dead woodchuck thing the coyote had been tearing at. (Linked for eeew.)
DSC_4864 edited by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

I want this to be a Merlin, but I bet it's a juvenile sharpie or Cooper's Hawk

DSC_4967 edited by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Ross's Goose

DSC_5039 edited by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

This giant Snow Goose was sleeping until a few carloads of people showed up and wandered around; it stood up and made the size difference between a Snow Goose and Ross's Goose pretty obvious

DSC_5130 edited by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

It was a good day. Lots of ducks and duckish things (Cinnamon Teal, Northern Shoveler, Bufflehead, Coots, probably more that I couldn't identify), Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle, Northen Harriers, Sandhill Cranes, Canadian Geese, American Robin, LBJs galore, some kind of Flicker, Western Scrub Jay, and lots of birds of prey I couldn't identify.

Edit: We ate at The Owl Bar (apropos name) afterward. Green chile cheeseburgers and onion rings hit the spot.

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 19, 2013

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

You've actually captured a harder to find (in my experience) and much cooler :swoon:Green Heron :swoon:

They like to perch near the water and hunt.

Aaaaaand here's the green in the "Green Heron":

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Ghost Cactus posted:

I'm back with (too many) pictures from yesterday!

drat, that's a good day of birding, where was all this?

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
A couple more from my hike

At least s/he had the decency to turn the other way.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Here's a few from today:

5D3_0073 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_0030 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_0100 by capacity4action, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Duckjob, that top pelican shot is something else.

neckbeard posted:

drat, that's a good day of birding, where was all this?

It really was, and we missed "peak" season. It was at Bosque del Apache NWR, a little over an hour south of Albuquerque.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_2505 by s-bothun, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Verdin by jankyangles, on Flickr

Sit still! :argh:

Woodpecker by jankyangles, on Flickr

Scaup by jankyangles, on Flickr

small-1645 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Also, Duckjob, holy poo poo that first shot is good.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Got some decent shots today.

goldeneye by philip painter, on Flickr

mallard by philip painter, on Flickr

mallard/black hybrid? by philip painter, on Flickr

canadian geese by philip painter, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

smallmouth posted:

Well done. I've caught a few of these side landing shots with plenty of leading negative space but the background is always poo poo.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

smallmouth posted:

goldeneye by philip painter, on Flickr

This is actually a male Hooded Merganser. Nice shot, they're typically pretty shy and I've never seen a good in-flight photo like that.

That's interesting. I've seen a lot of very odd looking "mutt" Mallards before, but never one quite like that. I assume the purple is just that weird iridescence that Mallards get in certain light? It may be melanistic, but I would expect the bill to be dark in that case.

Good shots.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This is actually a male Hooded Merganser. Nice shot, they're typically pretty shy and I've never seen a good in-flight photo like that.

That's interesting. I've seen a lot of very odd looking "mutt" Mallards before, but never one quite like that. I assume the purple is just that weird iridescence that Mallards get in certain light? It may be melanistic, but I would expect the bill to be dark in that case.

Good shots.

Thanks for the ID. I wasn't sure if it was a type of merganser or not. They certainly were skittish.

Yeah, the other was definitely iridescent. I just happened to be at a good angle with him for a few shots.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Peacock

Peacock by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Egyptian Goose chick

Fluff by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

American White Pelican by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So this popped up on my feed.

metadata has this shot at 28mm. Now, how is this possible without some underhanded baiting like the previous Snowy?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So this popped up on my feed.

metadata has this shot at 28mm. Now, how is this possible without some underhanded baiting like the previous Snowy?
Pretty sure I've seen multiple shots of that bird in other forums, and they bait that bird pretty heavily. It's always amusing to see the follow up "gore" shot with the owl gulping the mouse, and invariably it's a white pet store mouse. What is bizarre is the number of people who don't seem to give a crap about the baiting. :(

That said, it is amazing how close you can get to these owls if you do it right. Here's a shot of an owl with my wife. This is after spending about 3 hours with the owl that day -- eventually it flew to that post by itself despite being a couple of metres away from my wife. Once you're off the threat list they really don't care much about you.

[edit]
Here's the shot from her camera:

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 26, 2013

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Where's the beak? :v:

On the subject of close rare birds, this Eurasian Wigeon came right up to me at a duck pond last week. They're supposed to be sleeping 500ft away, not actually showing off in good sunlight.

Eurasian or Hybrid Wigeon by Icybacon, on Flickr

Given the little bit of green, it could be a hybrid American/Eurasian, but apparently this is common in legit Eurasians so I'm waiting on serious birder opinion.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm back from Tasmania, but I have a backlog of three trips to grind through, all of which include at least a few antipodian birdies.

Black-faced Cormorants

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 4 Tranmere 12 by Execudork, on Flickr

A little later on the same drive as the above, I stopped to take pictures of the canal at Lauderdale on the South Arm peninsula. As I parked, I noticed the car in front of me on the side of the road had an enormous lens sticking out of the driver's window. I carefully and as quietly as I could got out and walked around behind him, so I could look down his sight line to see what he was pointing that thing at - a flock of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos in a tree in someone's backyard. They startled and took off almost as soon as I saw them, flew right over us, and settled in a big tree in the green space beside the canal. I was shooting with my Sigma 100-300mm f/darkness, which doesn't play nice with autofocus, so I was pretty happy to get anything other than a blurry mess.

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

Since he had his enormous lens out, I decided to follow suit and broke out my 500mm.

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

The cockatoos weren't being particularly co-operative, but a Noisy Miner was happy to pose on a branch just inside the minimum focus distance of my lens. This was the first time I had to actually back up with my tripod to get a shot of a bird.

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 7 by Execudork, on Flickr

The guy with the giant lens, which turned out to be some gigantic Canon thing mounted on a 1D, was very friendly and we chatted for a bit about birds in Tasmania. He pointed out a duck with her ducklings on the far side of the canal, who apparently had started the day with three ducklings only to have one taken by a Pacific gull.

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 8 by Execudork, on Flickr

His wife showed up, with a look on her face of amused resignation. I thought she was thinking "Oh great, my husband has found some other nut to talk to endlessly about birds birds birds birds..."

Then another cormorant

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 11 by Execudork, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ExecuDork posted:

A little later on the same drive as the above, I stopped to take pictures of the canal at Lauderdale on the South Arm peninsula. As I parked, I noticed the car in front of me on the side of the road had an enormous lens sticking out of the driver's window. I carefully and as quietly as I could got out and walked around behind him, so I could look down his sight line to see what he was pointing that thing at - a flock of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos in a tree in someone's backyard. They startled and took off almost as soon as I saw them, flew right over us, and settled in a big tree in the green space beside the canal. I was shooting with my Sigma 100-300mm f/darkness, which doesn't play nice with autofocus, so I was pretty happy to get anything other than a blurry mess.

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

Since he had his enormous lens out, I decided to follow suit and broke out my 500mm.

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

That's awesome. I don't think I would ever get over seeing Cockatoo's just flying around in the wild or the fact that many of them could have been born decades before me (assuming they live anywhere close to as long in the wild as they do in captivity).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I didn't even think of the age thing - some of those birds could have been flying around, eating fruit and just chillin' in big gum trees since way back when my lens was new! :psyduck:

GULLS!

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 6 Viewstop 9 by Execudork, on Flickr

and Herons!

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 7 Arm End 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 7 Arm End 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 7 Arm End 7 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 7 Arm End 8 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 7 Arm End 9 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 7 Arm End 27 by Execudork, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Duck spam. Deal with it. :colbert:

small-1800 by jankyangles, on Flickr

small-1825 by jankyangles, on Flickr

small-1847 by jankyangles, on Flickr

edit: :lol: rotate. Whoops.

small-1867 by jankyangles, on Flickr

small-1993 by jankyangles, on Flickr

small-1928 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Thoughts on IS/VR? This VR on the Tamron 70-300 (D3100) I'm using is really god drat good for still stuff but I'm wondering how much its loving up by tracking a moving target on this low budget crop sensor frame. I really don't ever step down below 1/1250 when shooting birds and today seemed like I was getting everything just past in focus when it felt like I nailed the shot. :/

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Duck spam. Deal with it. :colbert:

Thoughts on IS/VR? This VR on the Tamron 70-300 (D3100) I'm using is really god drat good for still stuff but I'm wondering how much its loving up by tracking a moving target on this low budget crop sensor frame. I really don't ever step down below 1/1250 when shooting birds and today seemed like I was getting everything just past in focus when it felt like I nailed the shot. :/

If you're panning at high shutter speeds I would just turn VR off.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

hooded merganser pair by philip painter, on Flickr

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
THE BIRD GOD GIVETH:

Greylag Geese by The original David L, on Flickr

Brown Pelican by The original David L, on Flickr

AND THE BIRD GOD TAKETH AWAY...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 3, 2013

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
One more because geese are awesome!

"OH GOD THIS HAS NOT GONE WELL!"

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I think this is the first I've seen one of these in MI.

brown creeper by philip painter, on Flickr

chickadee by philip painter, on Flickr

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Got a new (24 year old) Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 push-pull. I am pretty excited with the results on my D200.

falcon by pboutell, on Flickr

falcon by pboutell, on Flickr

birdie by pboutell, on Flickr

copen
Feb 2, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Haha this is awesome. My only advice would be to crop out some of the highlights in the water or tone them down in photoshop. They are so distracting I almost missed the awesomeness that is this photo.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I haven't posted some owl shots for a while. Time to fix that.

Nice job on these. I've chased them everywhere in my kayak and I don't think I've gotten a decent picture yet. I would probably crop a bit of the room off the left.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

THE BIRD GOD GIVETH:

Brown Pelican by The original David L, on Flickr

AND THE BIRD GOD TAKETH AWAY...

Catching a picture of a diving pelican is no easy task. The bird god can be a cruel mistress sometimes, at least she gave you a whole, uncropped diving pelican.

smallmouth posted:

Is he popping a little bug in his mouth?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

What a hilarious shot. It looks like some sort of weird dance.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Nice job on these. I've chased them everywhere in my kayak and I don't think I've gotten a decent picture yet. I would probably crop a bit of the room off the left.

Is he popping a little bug in his mouth?

Thanks! I'll have to play with the crop again.

Yeah, I caught him eating something. I'm not sure it's a bug, as it's still freezing here.

Beautiful owl pics, as always.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Despair posted:

If you're panning at high shutter speeds I would just turn VR off.

Thanks, gonna give it a whirl. Also taking my AF training wheels off and using a button for it instead of using half press shutter. This is getting complicated in a hurry.

Edit

DSC_2061 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Finally intercepted my kid after school so I'd have help with bread and such last week. Came across a Great Blue so I set up my shooting position and sent the kid to spook the heron towards me. Heron decided "NOPE" and just bounced around the kid. I've never seen that kind of behavior as they usually bolt pretty quick. What I didn't notice until later is that right off frame there's some fisherman with their catches in a bucket behind them. The heron was stealing fish every few minutes. :v: Also, introducing a city kid to a huge bird he's never seen before is hilarious.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 5, 2013

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Got some birds at my feeder finally.

house finch pair by philip painter, on Flickr

This red tailed hawk hangs out on campus. I imagine all the super-fat squirrels are easy pickins.

red tailed hawk by philip painter, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

smallmouth posted:

Nice, I haven't been able to get a shot of a brown creeper yet, they have some pretty good camouflage when they're on a tree and their back is to you

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Spent all day trying to get used to back button focus. Ruined quite a bit but I'm sticking with it. Still managed to catch at least a few neat shots.

Couple of Coots duking it out.

small-2439 by jankyangles, on Flickr

small-2249 by jankyangles, on Flickr

This one is kinda sad. A fisherman hooked this heron right in the neck (and subsequently thought it was hilarious :mad:). A park employee managed to get the line off but the hook is still in it's neck. We called Game & Fish and they said they would send someone out but after waiting around for 2 hours I had to leave. :(

small-2357 by jankyangles, on Flickr

It did manage to finally take a short flight as I was leaving but it was pretty awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Hope you made it clear to that fisherman what a motherfucker he is.