Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

lionskull posted:

I think you're saying that he hosed the leg up while escaping and it had to be amputated, but my immediate read of this was that the owners had it lopped off so he would stop escaping :gonk:

Actually I think Wheats was saying that the dog was scaling the fence and escaping the yard with 3 legs. Which sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Ha ha, wow: in my experience, Chows just chill all day, maybe deigning to let you pet them if you must.

Yeah, I would say that's pretty accurate! My boyfriend and I have a chow named Mugen, a little over 3 years old. Gonna share a few pics and then ask for some advice :)

His cute puppy self.

My boyfriend for the longest time had him frequently groomed, but didn't have them cut any of his hair at all. We eventually did end up getting him cut a bit as he was just getting too tangled/matted even with regular brushing. I do miss him like this, though. Anytime a little kid would see him while out walking they'd usually ask us why we have a pet lion. :3:

2 bears.

The only time he'll allow you to snuggle him...if he's already asleep!

And a couple videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIlSteT__wc

He usually lives at my boyfriend's house (which is carpeted) so he's not used to the hardwood and it's cute to watch him slip a bit while running :3:

There is also a cat in the house, they play together every once in awhile. Usually the cat antagonizes him somehow, usually digging his claws into Mugen's 'beard' hairs and then subsequently getting dragged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RwAv99t8vg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QG6HcIiW_o

Alright, so for the advice. I grew up living with mutts that were always very friendly, never aggressive towards humans, etc. So having a dog with a chow's natural temperament has been a new thing for me. With us, Mugen has never growled or barked at us for any reason. He rarely even whines, maybe once every few months when he's already been out once to poop but needs to go again later (rare). He never growls or barks at the cat, and they play frequently. However, the cat has been with him since he was a kitten, so he's had 2 years to be comfortable with his presence. He can be pretty growly and straining at the leash with other dogs out-and-about, which is understandable. When we take him to visit other dogs (my parent's, etc.) he is usually *okay*. He is not a playful dog, and my parents have an energetic collie puppy and an energetic dachshund. Both female. Typically what happens is they try to play with him repeatedly, jump on him while he's laying down, bark at him, etc. To his credit, he usually will walk away/run away (poor guy) when he is getting annoyed. Eventually when they follow him or continue to bark, he'll growl and be a little aggressive (never biting) until they are in a submissive position & then walks away. This is all fine.

The problem is that lately he's been a little bit growly towards humans, too. He seems fine with certain people, and he doesn't like others. My roommate, for example, he will not leave alone. Now, my roommate is a physically intimidating person. He's very tall & large in stature and african american (not that it matters, but it seems some dogs are a little racist!). Absolutely sweet guy, but I can understand the dog being a little afraid of him. We've tried greeting the roommate at the door so that Mugen understands he's welcome. We've tried letting Mugen into his room to get familiar with his smell. The only thing we've had a bit of success with is having him ignore the dog entirely when he walks in, Mugen stops barking and looks confused for a moment before resuming following him and barking a bit more.

When he's barking or growling at him, his tail is wagging but usually slowly/cautiously. I understand that it could be a combination of things- he's at my house, not his own, so he could feel over-protective of a new territory he isn't at often. I tried asking on a chow-specific forum and they simply said, "Sometimes dogs can sense things humans can't...just trust your dog's instinct about this person." which...isn't really helpful. I've known my roommate for 9 years, he's a stand-up guy, and I really doubt he's a serial killer or anything.

We also had an incident at Christmas which I believe was partly our fault. Mugen likes being near us, especially if he's in a strange place, he just likes to be near where everyone is gathered, I guess to guard us or whatever. My mother is not very fond of dogs in the house during gatherings/dinner, we probably should not have even brought him over but we didn't want to leave him alone at the house the whole day either. :( Anyways, when we go over usually she makes him go outside with the collies, he's okay for a bit but then gets pretty anxious to come inside and be where the people are. So on Christmas, she agreed to let him inside, but only if he was in a hallway with a babygate up. So, he could see the kitchen but not the living room where everyone was. He got pretty upset, trying to jump the gate with his stubby little legs :( And when my Dad went in to check on him (he's usually okay with Mugen), he was growling and may have tried to nip him. I'm not exactly sure as I wasn't there, my Dad kind of laughed it off and had us go in to check on him. So I'm not sure if he really tried to bite him or if he was just being overly aggressive. Either way, like I said a part of it could be our fault for separating him from everyone else like that, but it's still not behavior I want to happen again.

I understand if I can't stop this behavior in the dog, but it makes me feel bad. I can sense that Mugen is really anxious/nervous and I want to alleviate that as much as I can. I know to a certain point, a Chow will be a Chow, but this is pretty unusual behavior for him.

In addition, he's usually fine with most other people he sees every once in awhile, but lately he's taken to growling a bit and walking away if they try to pet him. Which I'm glad he walks away, but it is a little unusual for him. He's had recent vet checkups so as far as we know it's nothing health-related.

Sorry for the long post, it's just been stressing me out. I worry about if we have to take him anywhere. Maybe he's just becoming a grumpy old man. :( Bonus tophat Chow:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
In my experience, Chows don't like other dogs except other Chows. When my mom takes Georgia to the dog park, she'll do her own thing on the periphery of it all, unless the other Chow is there, in which case they'll touch noses a bit and then walk around sedately together. Mugen's nervous and alienated by what, to him, is the other dogs' freaky behavior, compounded by the part where he was separated from his people by a gate that his ponderous Chow body can't make it over. His bad behavior afterwards doesn't sound like anger or anything, but like the residual effects of that uncomfortable experience--hence the snapping. If he'd wanted to attack your Dad, he would have; he was just nervous. Now, it's not like that makes it a good thing, but I do want to stress that he just did not enjoy that experience at all and was probably still shook up.

The next time he's in an intimidating situation, see what happens when you go out to share it with him while it's happening. When Georgia gets nervous, she'll lean against my mom's legs and it seems to help.

As far as your roommate is concerned, if Mugen's giving a few barks while still wagging his tail, that's probably not hostility, he's just letting you know that someone different (maybe a type of person he's seen only rarely before, if you guys are white) is around and that that's pretty funky. Like I said, if a Chow wants to attack someone, it will. Getting Mugen used to your roommate's smell is good, having your roommate ignore him is good. Possibly, you could have your roommate dish out the kibble in the morning? I don't know, though.

Eventually, he'll get used to him. The idea that he's "sensing something people can't" about this guy is bullshit; Chows are standoffish and suspicious by nature no matter who they're meeting.

In the mean time, get Mugen out and about in a lot of different situations with a lot of different people, and reward him with a treat every time he doesn't get nervous. However, people you just randomly meet shouldn't be petting strange dogs without asking anyway. In my opinion, it's fine to tell them: "Please don't pet my dog, he doesn't like strangers very much."

Also, Chows don't have great eyesight, since their eyes are small and set very deep into their fluffy faces. These people could be surprising him when he finally does see them, and surprises are very suspicious, if you're a Chow.

In general, think about him like a cat in a dog's body, or, in this case, a bear's. Ask yourself, "How would a cat react to this situation?" and you have a rough guideline of what a Chow might think about it.

When you said that his fur got matted even though you have him brushed regularly, did you mean every day? Brush him yourself every day, even if you don't think he needs it. Groomers will also shave their butts specifically, while leaving the rest of the fluff intact, for...obvious reasons.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 31, 2013

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

supkirbs posted:

The problem is that lately he's been a little bit growly towards humans, too. He seems fine with certain people, and he doesn't like others. My roommate, for example, he will not leave alone. Now, my roommate is a physically intimidating person. He's very tall & large in stature and african american (not that it matters, but it seems some dogs are a little racist!). Absolutely sweet guy, but I can understand the dog being a little afraid of him. We've tried greeting the roommate at the door so that Mugen understands he's welcome. We've tried letting Mugen into his room to get familiar with his smell. The only thing we've had a bit of success with is having him ignore the dog entirely when he walks in, Mugen stops barking and looks confused for a moment before resuming following him and barking a bit more.

Put treats next to the door. Roommate enters, scatters a few treats on the ground, ignores the dog and goes off to do whatever he came home for. Repeat this for a week and see if he starts reacting differently to the roommate's presence. Counter-conditioning definitely can work on prims, and it's pretty easy as a first approach to the problem.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

In my experience, Chows don't like other dogs except other Chows. When my mom takes Georgia to the dog park, she'll do her own thing on the periphery of it all, unless the other Chow is there, in which case they'll touch noses a bit and then walk around sedately together. Mugen's nervous and alienated by what, to him, is the other dogs' freaky behavior, on top of being separated from his people by a gate that his ponderous Chow body can't make it over. His bad behavior afterwards doesn't sound like anger or anything, but like the residual effects of that uncomfortable experience--hence the snapping. If he'd wanted to attack your Dad, he would have; he was just nervous. Now, it's not like that makes it a good thing, but I do want to stress that he just did not enjoy that experience at all and was probably still shook up.

That makes sense. Of the two collies, the young, very playful one is the one he tends to do that with, there's also an older female who doesn't really play and just sits around all day (like a chow!) and they get along great, he's never growled at her or ran away from her. So that does make sense. And yeah, I think a lot of that was situational- I wish my mom was a bit more understanding of him having different wants/needs because of his breed/personality. When inside, he lays in one spot, he's not running around knocking things over, he doesn't beg strangers for food (us at home though, that's a different story!) or anything like that. But she's got a mentality of dogs are dogs and that I'm being oversensitive worrying about him being outside/penned away from us. :(

And thank you for the rest of the advice :) I think a lot of it with the roommate may be that he isn't at my house often, so by the time he gets slightly used to him it seems he forgets it all the next time he's there. So maybe it would be better to have him over more frequently and not just every couple of months.

And yes, we were brushing him every day. My boyfriend was not as thorough about it as I was, but I am there at least 3 days a week and made sure to give him an all-over brushing. The main places he was getting matted pretty bad were under his chin in his 'beard' area, I'm not sure if it is just him or all chows, but everytime he drinks he would get that area super wet and after a few hours it got pretty gross. We tried using those pet wet-wipes to spot clean him there but he just immediately gets it dirty again. When they finally trimmed it fairly short under that area it helped a lot. We also don't use a regular collar on him but the harness, and his fur would get pretty matted under where the straps were.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Put treats next to the door. Roommate enters, scatters a few treats on the ground, ignores the dog and goes off to do whatever he came home for. Repeat this for a week and see if he starts reacting differently to the roommate's presence. Counter-conditioning definitely can work on prims, and it's pretty easy as a first approach to the problem.

Definitely gotta try this!

supkirbs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 31, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

supkirbs posted:

We also don't use a regular collar on him but the harness, and his fur would get pretty matted under where the straps were.
They make collars/harnesses with a circular rather than flat cross-section for fluffy dogs like Chows and Collies. Like this:
http://www.schaafleatherwork.com/pages/dog/collar2.html
http://www.petco.com/product/107378/Petco-Rolled-Leather-Dog-Collar-in-Red.aspx

This one's even called the "Chow harness:"
http://technicalk9.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=234

He still shouldn't be wearing a harness 24/7 like a collar though, if that's what you're doing. Collar and tags for everyday, harness for walks only.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 31, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

As far as your roommate is concerned, if Mugen's giving a few barks while still wagging his tail, that's probably not hostility,

This is the kind of advice that can get people bitten.

A wagging tail does not denote good will, it just denotes a heightened sense of awareness. You need to read a dog's entire body to properly ascertain their motivations.

Your roommate should ignore the dog completely. Like, pretend the dog doesn't exist. If and when you're all in the same room together, you should be tossing bits of hotdog at Mugen to a) keep him busy and b) build the association that when your roommate is around awesome things happen. Don't worry about correcting the barking. If you change how the dog feels about things the barking will decrease. This process can take a while. As you progress and the dog seems less unsettled by your roommate you can allow him to drop hotdogs to the dog, but again keep distance and keep ignoring the dog as much as you can. Eventually you can work up to passing food if everything has been good for several sessions, but don't rush it.

Re: the Christmas issue, it sounds like you should have left him at home. These new situations are stressful for him and can decrease his bite/reactive threshold. Too much stress can lead to a bad situation. Maybe next time hire someone to look in on him at your home.

Re: your parent's dogs, I would be stepping in and removing them before they have a chance to continually bug him. You know it bothers him, so step in before he feels like he needs to step in.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

a life less posted:

This is the kind of advice that can get people bitten.
I'm not saying the roommate should be petting him or anything, just that this sounds like suspicious interest to me rather than hostility. The roommate should not try to pet Mugen.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

a life less posted:

Re: the Christmas issue, it sounds like you should have left him at home. These new situations are stressful for him and can decrease his bite/reactive threshold. Too much stress can lead to a bad situation. Maybe next time hire someone to look in on him at your home.

Re: your parent's dogs, I would be stepping in and removing them before they have a chance to continually bug him. You know it bothers him, so step in before he feels like he needs to step in.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. He's been there multiple times, but usually only for a few hours and not in a setting where he was forced to stay outside/penned away. There were also a few more people there than usual. That was the first time. We will likely not be bringing him in the future, or just not going ourselves if it's going to be too many hours away from him.

When able to, we would try to remove the other dog. However in this situation where they all must stay outside, no matter how many times we try to correct the collie puppy or remove her away she would return to bother him, this is when he eventually would step in himself. Again, this goes back to the fact that if we're not able to keep 1 dog inside the house and the other out, we won't be bringing him back in the future.

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

They make collars/harnesses with a circular rather than flat cross-section for fluffy dogs like Chows and Collies. Like this:

He still shouldn't be wearing a harness 24/7 like a collar though, if that's what you're doing. Collar and tags for everyday, harness for walks only.

I will definitely have to look into those. The collar & tags are attached to his current harness. For awhile we were leaving it on during the day and only removing it at night, but when we realized it was matting his fur we started taking it off between walks.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Yeah, if he had been left home alone he just would have hung out and done...whatever the gently caress it is chows do with their lives. Getting nervous with freaky Collies around is much worse for his emotional well-being than that. Leave him at home next time, then take him for an extra-long walk or do whatever it is he really enjoys when you get home.

Edit:

quote:

I will definitely have to look into those. The collar & tags are attached to his current harness. For awhile we were leaving it on during the day and only removing it at night, but when we realized it was matting his fur we started taking it off between walks.
The collar's for ID and should be left on at all times in case he gets out. The harness should just be for walks, especially since if he gets it snagged on something while you're not there he won't be able to escape.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 31, 2013

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Yeah, if he had been left home alone he just would have hung out and done...whatever the gently caress it is chows do with their lives. Getting nervous with freaky Collies around is much worse for his emotional well-being than that. Leave him at home next time, then take him for an extra-long walk or do whatever it is he really enjoys when you get home.

Edit:

The collar's for ID and should be left on at all times in case he gets out. The harness should just be for walks, especially since if he gets it snagged on something while you're not there he won't be able to escape.

Yeah, I agree. My boyfriend is a little stupid, for a long time he wouldn't allow me to get Mugen an ID tag at all, just saying "Oh, he's not gonna get out." (I know he's STUPID, you don't have to tell me. It's his first dog in the states & I guess dog ownership in the phillipines is a little...different) So it was a struggle to finally let me buy the tag for the harness even. I just showed him that chow harness and he really likes it, so I'll convince him to get one of the rolled collars also.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Does anybody make a rolled collar like that that is also a non-chain martingale? Quaffle has a lot of loose skin on his neck and a comparatively small head so he's slipped a plain flat collar on multiple occasions. I use a nylon martingale on him but because it isn't rolled it tends to give him weird cowlicks around his neck. I've looked around and all I can find are rolled chain martingales or regular flat nylon martingales. What do people with borzois or deerhounds or dogs like that use? His neck is pretty big so I don't know how silly those giant embroidered sighthound collars would look on him or if they'd even help the cowlick problem.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I have used White Pine Outfitters' soft web collars from here: http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/ They're very easy on a dog's coat.

Also, a collar will always cause some degree of breakage and matting. I personally only put collars on my dogs when they're walked but this is obviously not the safest option.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

supkirbs posted:

Yeah, I agree. My boyfriend is a little stupid, for a long time he wouldn't allow me to get Mugen an ID tag at all, just saying "Oh, he's not gonna get out." (I know he's STUPID, you don't have to tell me. It's his first dog in the states & I guess dog ownership in the phillipines is a little...different) So it was a struggle to finally let me buy the tag for the harness even. I just showed him that chow harness and he really likes it, so I'll convince him to get one of the rolled collars also.
The thing about Chows is that if they slip their leash or escape from the back yard or something, there's really no guarantee that they'll come back when you call them. So it is even more important that they have some sort of ID on them all the time.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

If Mugen knows any tricks, you could try something I do with Beck when she's nervous about a new person. What I do is take her across or just outside the room they're in, then start asking her to perform her different tricks (sit, down, stand, high-five, etc.). During this, I give her plenty of treats for getting things right and talk in an upbeat voice. It's a game to her, and she likes being able to do something and be told that yes, good job, that's the right thing. I think it gives the dog a chance to get their nervous energy out with a burst of activity instead of just running around yelling their heads off (which is usually Beck's first instinct).

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

It's her baaabyyyy. :3:

Well, the novelty seems to have worn off because she's not really fixating on it any more. (Her rottie friend came over and that seems to have reset her little brain.) In other news, it's -25 with wind chill here and we have finally found a temperature that she refuses to run at. I even bundled up and HTFU-ed and she was just like "lol, nope, you are crazy." She's been asleep all day in front of the fire. She refuses to move and the cats seem to think she's just a new cat bed.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
I'm walking a Samoyed right now. He's surprised me how well he listens, he sits at stop signs and looks at me when I say "look!". He enjoys flipping out every time he sees another dog, even in a window. He'll barkbarkbark and try to drag me to them.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Citizen Rat posted:

Well, the novelty seems to have worn off because she's not really fixating on it any more. (Her rottie friend came over and that seems to have reset her little brain.) In other news, it's -25 with wind chill here and we have finally found a temperature that she refuses to run at. I even bundled up and HTFU-ed and she was just like "lol, nope, you are crazy." She's been asleep all day in front of the fire. She refuses to move and the cats seem to think she's just a new cat bed.

I am super jealous! That sounds fantastic.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Not sure which thread to post this in, but does anyone have experience with chow chow/corgi mixes? There seems to be a bunch at the shelters around here and while we're a bit off from getting a dog, they are frigging cute.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

No direct experience with them, but my guess is that they're hell on wheels (or short stubby legs). Chows are renowned as biters, and Corgis are mouthy to start with. Both are relatively independent, but Corgis have quite a bit of energy too. Both are known to be dog aggressive/reactive.

Maybe you'll luck out, but it's definitely not a mix I would ever adopt lightly. There's probably a reason there's so many popping up in shelters.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I'm really not sure what a Chow with a work ethic and a lot of energy would be like. On the other hand, Chow/Corgis look hilarious:

I wonder if they'd act more like Huskies or Shibas?

Edit:
Oh good Lord, this is getting ridiculous:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 16, 2013

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I think I am going to die by the end of the day from a cuteness overload. The dog and cat have been doing laps around the house, side by side, all day long. It's the cutest thing I've seen in my entire life.

Last weekend we went to my friend's birthday party in the north woods. We brought Goliath with since she has a bunch of dogs, and he got lots of frozen elk meat for being cute. Anyway, we were shooting off fireworks, Goliath got scared, and he managed to open a door and run off into the woods, taking my friend's pomeranian with him. We went out into the woods on foot in the middle of the night trying to track their foot prints in the snow, but there were so many deer tracks that we lost their tracks. We found the pom about half a mile out, and it took nearly an hour of searching for Goliath before he came trotting back to the house on his own. It was so scary, I can't even imagine what I would have done if we hadn't found him. He was really scared too and spent the rest of the night right next to us.

Bonus schnoz picture:

Love this dog.

SatanKat
Aug 15, 2012

Back in January I arranged a meet up for some people on a UK shiba inu owners group in Scotland. We had a great walk, with snow and lots of shibas running about (and mostly coming when called).

This is Leo, I had cheese.

Sasuke (my pest) and Osaka

mmmm snowball

Not going to drown the thread in pictures (there's 266 in total). The rest are here: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/Satankat666/Shiba%20meet%20Jan%202013/

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

a life less posted:

No direct experience with them, but my guess is that they're hell on wheels (or short stubby legs). Chows are renowned as biters, and Corgis are mouthy to start with. Both are relatively independent, but Corgis have quite a bit of energy too. Both are known to be dog aggressive/reactive.

Maybe you'll luck out, but it's definitely not a mix I would ever adopt lightly. There's probably a reason there's so many popping up in shelters.

Well hell. The girlfriend has her heart set on a corgi. They're alright, but a bit of a plain dog. I personally like chow chows for being big lazy fluffballs.

This thread has a lot of Good Looking Dogs in it though, so maybe I can switch her to one of these breeds.

Magical Ponies
Jun 21, 2005

She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable.

Lost my mind and got a second husky pup. His name is Finn and holy crap, I've never met a more happy-go-lucky dog. Very talkative compared to his very quiet older sister.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Saint Darwin posted:

Well hell. The girlfriend has her heart set on a corgi.

Don't do it, save yourselves!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Saint Darwin posted:

Well hell. The girlfriend has her heart set on a corgi. They're alright, but a bit of a plain dog. I personally like chow chows for being big lazy fluffballs.

This thread has a lot of Good Looking Dogs in it though, so maybe I can switch her to one of these breeds.

Show her this picture (I think it's a baby Chow):

lazken
May 4, 2011

Do not feed the monkey

Magical Ponies posted:

Lost my mind and got a second husky pup. His name is Finn and holy crap, I've never met a more happy-go-lucky dog. Very talkative compared to his very quiet older sister.

I always wanted a husky pup, but was convinced not to by stories and pictures of extreme destruction. We ended up with an akita who ate the walls when she got bored as a puppy instead.
That is one cute looking puppy though, loving the ears!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Saint Darwin posted:

Remember, the whole point of this thread is that all of these breeds can be very challenging to own for various reasons. Really take your time to consider your experience, situation, and what you want in a dog before choosing on based on looks. Then really take a long, hard look at the drawbacks of the breeds you're considering and be honest about what you can handle.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Magical Ponies posted:

If I could trade two cats for another dog I would do it in a hot second. I want to smooth that face so bad.

(anyone want some cats?)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

WolfensteinBag posted:

Remember, the whole point of this thread is that all of these breeds can be very challenging to own for various reasons. Really take your time to consider your experience, situation, and what you want in a dog before choosing on based on looks. Then really take a long, hard look at the drawbacks of the breeds you're considering and be honest about what you can handle.

Oh, I definitely understand this. I don't think we'd end up getting a cool primitive breed if only because we rent our house right now. If we did, it would be something like a chow, and I know I would have to be rigorously handling and training and getting it socialized as a puppy so that the lazy fluffball would be less of a biter. I'm OK with that because hell, a dog should act like a dog. They seem like surely balls of fur.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Chows are supposed to be lazy? My husky chow mix sure isn't

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Hdip posted:

Chows are supposed to be lazy? My husky chow mix sure isn't

Huskys are the opposite of lazy.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Nori is perfectly middle of the road energy wise. The Chow and the Husky (and whatever trace amounts of other breeds might be peppered in there) balance out nicely. He's more protective than a Husky and less intense than a Chow- I like that he'll go go go for hours if you want but has an off switch for off days. He's a good boy :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

TVs Ian posted:

Nori is perfectly middle of the road energy wise. The Chow and the Husky (and whatever trace amounts of other breeds might be peppered in there) balance out nicely. He's more protective than a Husky and less intense than a Chow- I like that he'll go go go for hours if you want but has an off switch for off days. He's a good boy :3:
He looks nothing at all like a Chow; are you sure that he has any Chow descent? Pretty boy. :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
His father is a Husky and his mother is Husky/Chow. She looks like him but black and white/smaller ears that never popped up.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

He looks nothing at all like a Chow; are you sure that he has any Chow descent? Pretty boy. :3:

I think his face and ears are pretty Chow tbh

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Topoisomerase posted:

I think his face and ears are pretty Chow tbh
His ears are huge. Chow ears are bigger than they look, but they're still small and thick, not big and thin.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I gotta say, Chows sound like the kind of dog I want. I don't have the ability to take a dog out for long runs and walks, of course I can walk them at least once a day and whenever a dog is going down, it would be in a place where we have a yard, and they can't really jump.

I don't know, I'm pretty chill, I want a chill dog. If we have people over I will of course say do not touch the bear. I assume if I raised one from a puppy it would tolerate the cat (who would probably ignore it anyway) and ignore the guinea pigs?

Do they ever like to be pet by their owners? A fluffdog who could sit there while we watch TV and get pets is basically a perfect dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

Saint Darwin posted:

I gotta say, Chows sound like the kind of dog I want. I don't have the ability to take a dog out for long runs and walks, of course I can walk them at least once a day and whenever a dog is going down, it would be in a place where we have a yard, and they can't really jump.

I don't know, I'm pretty chill, I want a chill dog. If we have people over I will of course say do not touch the bear. I assume if I raised one from a puppy it would tolerate the cat (who would probably ignore it anyway) and ignore the guinea pigs?

Do they ever like to be pet by their owners? A fluffdog who could sit there while we watch TV and get pets is basically a perfect dog.

For us it was the opposite, we got the kitten after the chow was a year, they get along fine (in fact, the cat antagonizes poor Mugen all the time). It took a bit for them to get used to each other though.

Mugen 'tolerates' us petting him :) We're pretty constantly loving on him, rolling him over and generally bothering him. But with other people, he'll tolerate much less. He does like to be constantly near his 'people', so if he's relaxing/being lazy across the room and you sit down to watch tv he'll move over right next to your leg and then plop right back down to sleep.

Very lazy, we walk him at least twice a day, though. You have to make sure you walk them often because they are naturally pretty lazy.

EDIT:

Mugen with my new Game of Thrones blu-rays (since he is obviously a Lannister)

This also happens to be where he waits outside the door whenever you're in the bathroom. Even if you close the door, you see his fur at the bottom.

supkirbs fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 20, 2013

• Locked thread