Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

The GIG posted:

They also have body pillows for Cao Pi and Lu Xun, so the terrible is spread around.
Supposedly on Twitter the demand is for more male character body pillows, at that.

Incidental note: While almost every female character is the love interest or relative of a male character, Wang Yuanji probably stands out (for moe otaku-pandering purposes) in the sense that she's not "that into her man" (Sima Zhao) like many of the other women in DW7 are to theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Chortles posted:

Supposedly on Twitter the demand is for more male character body pillows, at that.

Incidental note: While almost every female character is the love interest or relative of a male character, Wang Yuanji probably stands out (for moe otaku-pandering purposes) in the sense that she's not "that into her man" (Sima Zhao) like many of the other women in DW7 are to theirs.

SSX and Liu Bei didn't really talk for like the first 5 games of the series. Xing Cai also didn't have a real love interest for 5 or 6. Wang Yi, Cai Wenji, and presumably Guan Yinping don't have any represented husband either.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Suben posted:

She's pretty much a check list of poo poo otaku love.

Tsundere? Yep.
Tits? There's another one.
Sexy-Cute design where she still looks fairly young? And another.
That weird deal with the thigh skin between the skirt and stockings? She's got that too.

There's probably some other stuff I'm forgetting but she's tailor made for that crowd (maybe to counter the fujoshi fanbase?) and it's obviously worked given that she tops character popularity polls in Japan and fans in the west seem to love her as well.
Also whether you call her Princess Wang in the English or Oh Genki in the Japanese, there are plenty of chances for dirty jokes on her name.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 16, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Belzac posted:

SSX and Liu Bei didn't really talk for like the first 5 games of the series. Xing Cai also didn't have a real love interest for 5 or 6. Wang Yi, Cai Wenji, and presumably Guan Yinping don't have any represented husband either.
I specified 7, though I'll add that before 7 Xingcai's apparent main fan pairing was Guan Ping. Wang Yi's got a late husband, while Cai Wenji is "no represented husband" but also daughter of a NPC and brought in to Wei by Cao Cao (retrieving her from the Xiongnu).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Suben posted:

She's pretty much a check list of poo poo otaku love.

Tsundere? Yep.
Tits? There's another one.
Sexy-Cute design where she still looks fairly young? And another.
That weird deal with the thigh skin between the skirt and stockings? She's got that too.

There's probably some other stuff I'm forgetting but she's tailor made for that crowd (maybe to counter the fujoshi fanbase?) and it's obviously worked given that she tops character popularity polls in Japan and fans in the west seem to love her as well.
she also is, or at least was, the only woman in Jin.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

I specified 7, though I'll add that before 7 Xingcai's apparent main fan pairing was Guan Ping. Wang Yi's got a late husband, while Cai Wenji is "no represented husband" but also daughter of a NPC and brought in to Wei by Cao Cao (retrieving her from the Xiongnu).

Wang Yi's schtick is "MY FAMILY IS DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!! :byodame:", so for all intensive purposes she's single.

FAKE EDIT: I always chuckle when playing through WO3 that when you pick a character whose big motivation is revenge (Wang Yi, Ma Chao, etc) they get substituted by the very subject of their grievance. So you have Ma Chao gnashing his teeth over getting revenge on Cao Cao for killing his family...all the while Ma Teng is right there on the same screen.

Real Edit: Are the Dynasty Warrior/ROTK games big in China as well? I see reasons for it being either popular or not popular, but what's the actual sentiment?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 16, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Akainu, Aokiji and Kizaru (in flashy New World duds), and Monkey D. Garp are all playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2. Also there's some details about the Pirate's Log story line if you're interested.

I finished Pirate Warriors 1 the other day and I can't believe they shoved that boss fight in at the end. I went back immediately afterwards to get the trophy for doing Marineford properly and felt rewarded in that I didn't have to fight that boss for doing so. "Thank you for loving me" indeed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, Ken's Rage 2. I like that everyone plays a bit snappier now, but everything else is seriously a step backwards. I guess Legend mode is great if it's been years since you read the manga or something but I know the story off by heart and I'd rather just be playing the game rather than 5 minutes of punching people followed by 15 minutes of cut scenes. And Dream mode is just dull prequels, no fun alternate universe stuff and it doesn't even play like a proper DW game any more, just capture five bases and kill a couple of bosses. I hate to say this too, but having useful NPC's who go around and capture bases themselves is kind of annoying if you're you're just after the ones worth more points.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Policenaut posted:

Akainu, Aokiji and Kizaru (in flashy New World duds), and Monkey D. Garp are all playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2. Also there's some details about the Pirate's Log story line if you're interested.

I finished Pirate Warriors 1 the other day and I can't believe they shoved that boss fight in at the end. I went back immediately afterwards to get the trophy for doing Marineford properly and felt rewarded in that I didn't have to fight that boss for doing so. "Thank you for loving me" indeed.

Playable Garp. My day is a happy one.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sakurazuka posted:

I hate to say this too, but having useful NPC's who go around and capture bases themselves is kind of annoying if you're you're just after the ones worth more points.

Agreed, and it makes Free Mode a pain in the rear end since the "primary" character will stick around as an ally. Fortunately, they tend not to be very effective, so it's usually not hard to hit other bases for points and A-rank the stage anyway.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So, any word on how those that have to get DW7 via Download will be able to get the pre-order download :shobon:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

So, any word on how those that have to get DW7 via Download will be able to get the pre-order download :shobon:

If it's anything like Ken's Rage 2 then they'll just include it with the download itself as a limited time offer. If you buy KR2 right now on the PSN you automatically get the pre-order manga costumes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well, somehow I tapped the wrong spot on my phone and Kindle lost my spot in Romance :suicide:

On a more positive note, one week till Empires is out! :toot:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Well, somehow I tapped the wrong spot on my phone and Kindle lost my spot in Romance :suicide:

On a more positive note, one week till Empires is out! :toot:
what was the most recent thing you remember happening in your reading?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

what was the most recent thing you remember happening in your reading?

It was the leadup to Chibi, Zhou Yu just tricked Cao Cao into executing a pair of his admirals.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Dynasty Warriors Next posted:

There is no life gauge in this game. Players can know when a character is hit when the screen flashes red and by sound effects. Even without a visible lifebar, the developers are confident that players will struggle as they play. It was omitted to follow the trend of Western developed games

This is what DW was missing. Bloody screen so real.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Five more dudes in DW8, in order: Wang Yi, Cao Ren, Zhurong, Meng Huo, and Zuo Ci.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

:siren: Zou Ci is back! :siren:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Also there will be a story mode for the Other factions.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I've also seen some elaboration on how the what-if stages go -- for example, "what if Zhou Yu was at Hefei", "what if Guo Jia was at Chibi", "what if Xu Shu was at (Fan?) Castle?" and heck, something about Wen Yang and his "father's ambition" (maybe if he wasn't on his dad's side during the Three Rebellions in Shouchun?). As far as how these get incorporated into story mode, from Tumblr:

quote:

Some what-if routes will occur from pre-battle bases, where there may be not one, but two people you can speak with to start the battle. Depending on the person you spoke with, the progress branch may differ
Hints for getting what-if routes will be shown after you’ve cleared the faction storyline once. You could also try getting them on the first playthrough, but you’ll have to figure it out yourself by having some ROTK knowledge beforehand
So this means that Zuo Ci is not the other new character and that some of the what-if stages can occur through talking with one or two of the characters in camp and we have to clear the main story one time before getting some of the what if stages. Also knowing how some of the characters die (i.e. Sun Jian on Sun’s first stage) will open new what ifs as well.
While of course Zuo Ci is the returning Other character, haven't seen anything to contradict the rest of this, or the attributed playable character count being 77.

Also, here's a screenshot of Free Mode scenario select, translated at KOEI Warriors forums as follows:

quote:

Wu Zhang Plains pursuit
Battle of Xiang Ping (Sima Yi forces)
Battle of Xing Shi Mountain
”The Revolution” (or something like that)
Dong/East Gate battle (Sima Zhao forces)
Battle of Tie Long Mountain (Sima Zhao forces)
Rebellion of Guan Qiujian/Wen Qin (attacking forces)
Battle of Xu Chang (Sima Zhao forces)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Chortles posted:

"what if Guo Jia was at Chibi"

Guo Jia thwarts Zhuge Liang's first major victory and throws a big rear end boat party with booze and women. :getin:

Also, I thought Zuo Ci was confirmed a while ago?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Are you so sure it's women?

Zuo Ci wasn't actually confirmed until now, I recall, he was just the among the last people who weren't Fu Xi or Nu Wa that wasn't yet confirmed to be returning.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

The GIG posted:

Also there will be a story mode for the Other factions.

That would've been a lot better if they had given that spot to someone who should've been added a long time ago (i.e. Yuan Shu) instead of bring back lame old Zuo Ci. Should've really kept him in the WO series with all the other mystical characters.

And Zuo Ci wasn't in the initial batch of leaked characters (basically everyone that wound up being new except him), another "leaker" mentioned Zuo Ci and some more Others characters would be in which is where the Chen Gong thing came from. Original leaker said Zuo Ci WAS returning.

Suben fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 20, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Eh. Godlike characters have been in the series at least since DW3, so it's not really anything new. (Nu Wa and that other dude were in it)

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Zuo Ci owns bones and entirely deserves to be in these games. If we're gonna give playable slots to a bunch of miscellaneous Guans before the likes of Yu Jin or Liao Hua we can at least have a character who's amusing and bizarre.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Buggy, Crocodile, and Mihawk are playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2. Geez this is really making PW1 look like a really awful prototype game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Buggy, Crocodile, and Mihawk are playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2. Geez this is really making PW1 look like a really awful prototype game.

Holy poo poo! They're going all out with this one.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Policenaut posted:

Where are you in the manga right now, by the way?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Where are you in the manga right now, by the way?

I just finished Volume 65, not really quite sure where to go next because I can't seem to find any further scanlated things. So I'm just killing time with Pirate Warriors, which manages to be really repetitive despite only having like a dozen playable characters.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
WO3 is pretty great. There's a lot of drama taken out by the fact that you can just go back in time and save people, but other than that, I like it.

Like, when Huang Zhong dies, it was pretty shocking. But then I found out I could save him, so when anyone else dies, it's not as big a deal now.

Which is fine, I mean, Dynasty Warriors has never been very great storytelling - but after 7 where they actually try to do the books justice, it feels kinda cheap.

Still fun though!

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I just finished Volume 65, not really quite sure where to go next because I can't seem to find any further scanlated things.

Mangapanda is the main group doing scanlations now, just be aware they often have really awful translations and dumb watermarks. Once you catch up, you might want to look into Weekly Shonen Jump (formerly Shonen Jump Alpha), which is a digital manga magazine, it's got One Piece and 10ish other mangas, for only $26 a year.

As for Pirate Warriors 2, I think we probably have most of the roster at this point, I can't see them adding too many more characters in. It's a pretty good selection, I just hope they can make them all fun to play.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There's Tashigi, Hina, Coby, Helmeppo...mostly Marine characters left. Tashigi's shown up recently but her moveset might be too similar to Zoro's (although I do recall Kuina in one of the earlier games...?). And the Supernovas but Oda hasn't really shown them at all. I guess they could add more Baroque Works members plus Vivi, but Alabasta has been a while ago. And CP9!

I guess there are a lot of characters. :v:

There's a nicer set of One Piece translations up on Batoto, but they come out a few days after the Mangapanda ones (or around the same time as WSJ if you're in North America). But get WSJ if you can. :)

There's no word yet of this one being translated like PW1, right? This one sounds like it could be fun, but if the sales for the first one weren't too good via PSN, I doubt they would translate it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

FINALLY they confirm Crocodile. Pirate Warriors 2 is looking SWEET. I just really hope they remove, or at least tone down, the platforming segments.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Koei Tecmo is confirmed as a PlayStation 4 partner, so uh get ready for DW9 on PS4 I guess.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Policenaut posted:

Koei Tecmo is confirmed as a PlayStation 4 partner, so uh get ready for DW9 on PS4 I guess.

So pretty much the xbox 720 or whatever can get hosed even harder for Warrior games?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Lazy Programming posted:

So pretty much the xbox 720 or whatever can get hosed even harder for Warrior games?

Probably. Honestly at this point if you like Warriors games and you don't own a PlayStation of some kind you're only hurting yourself :( KT is getting really lazy about multiplatform.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Policenaut posted:

Probably. Honestly at this point if you like Warriors games and you don't own a PlayStation of some kind you're only hurting yourself :( KT is getting really lazy about multiplatform.

I made the mistake of choosing my console when they were pretty okay about multiplatform and I can't really justify getting both :sigh:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Lazy Programming posted:

I don't think that means anything about exclusivity. Like I doubt loving Capcom, of all companies, is going to suddenly go exclusive to one console.

Although yeah us Xbox players can probably get hosed even harder unless by some miracle the 720 takes off in Japan.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
After playing the Demo for a week I have to say I'm in love with the Circle Blade. It just is so fun to use and mess around with. My favorite thing to to is get a train of peons behind me and turn around to snap off it's Charge 4. So many bodies flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Question about Ken's Rage 2, I just got past the first fight with Kaioh. How much longer is Legend Mode? It's really dragging on and on and it really feels like all the HnK2 stuff was tacked on. (Mind you, I haven't watched or read much of HnK to begin with.)